CL Qualifying Rd 3

Who’d have thought we would be in the third round of The Champions League,given where we were a quarter of a century ago? Who’d have thought that we would be playing it in the first week of August? These qualifiers are a disgrace to the game,and all so that the greedy basturts from the big leagues-many of whom have no pedigree at that level,and some with a glorious past but a dire present-can sit at the top table,scoffing the best fare available and killing off the competition elsewhere by starving them of money.

Tonight sees us play our fifth tie in the competition,and we’ve acquitted ourselves well with four victories and twelve goals for the loss of two. And that’s been without a settled defence. Tonight is definitely our toughest task yet,as we take on Romanian champions,Cluj. And let’s not forget that their manager has an impressive record against Scottish clubs,having disposed of a deid team 4-1 at Ibrox ten years ago.

I’ve still got unirea or something running down my legs laughing from that one! And we need to be careful that we don’t get mugged ourselves tonight. One way that we can avoid that,in my opinion,is by playing with a maximum of one winger. Keep four in midfield and make sure that they all know what is required of them on the night.

Elhamed and Boli haven’t been too impressive re avoidance of injuries so far,but I’d have them down as first pick full backs tonight,played alongside The Twin Towers of Kris and Jozo. I’m not sure big Julien is quite with it yet. Play them in front of Scott Bain,with proper protection from the midfield.

This is where it gets a bit hairy. I’m going for a combination which hasn’t really worked lately,that of Ntcham and Broonie. We’ve seen much improvement from big Ollie so far this season,this is the game to prove that he is back. He has three weeks to get a move,and he will want to impress! Of course,we can’t leave out callum and Ryan,both know how to put in a shift,put in a tackle,play with or without the ball. Definitely needed tonight,and so will their ability to sniff out the goals.

Up front,it’s James and Eddy. One is best on the right,the other on the left. Both are comfortable cutting in,but each can play a pass too. Which is where Callum and Ryan come in,bombing through the middle. If it’s horses for courses,I’d say those are our best options on the night.

Am I confident? Well,I’m the most confident pessimistic optimist I know. So you won’t be getting any predictions from me,and the bookies won’t be getting a penny of my money. All I’ll say is,a city break to Prague is apparently a wonderful way to spend a few days. I hope some of you get the chance to enjoy one in a few weeks,and that the rest of us can look on enviously.

Above article by BMCUWP. Usual stuff-if you fancy a day in the sun,mail your article to Mahe at

sentinelcelts@gmail.com

Twists n turns
August 7, 2019 1:54 pm

Copying this over in the event someone is having a bet on the card markets

Twists n turns
Whilst I was looking at my bets for tonight I decided to look at the card markets.

I thought I’d check out the referee.
Serbian chap called S. Jovanovic.

Wow. Not seen a set of statistics like his in a long time:

He’s refereed 8 games since May.

34 yellows and 5 reds in those games.

In each of the games his card tally was

Yellows 6, 7, 1, 2, 3, 10, 3, 2.

Reds 2, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 1.

In 8 “international” games he’s refereed from 2018 he’s issued:

40 yellows and a red , and those yellows in the 8 games were issued:

3-6-4-7-4-7-5-4

There’s no doubt this guy is card happy. I hope Neil has the Celtic players well learned that this guy won’t hesitate to issue yellow cards.

August 7, 2019 2:06 pm

Welcome Mick Gillen great to have you on board 🙂
Apologies for any inconvenience friends.
Two zip tonight would be just lovely jubbly.

August 7, 2019 2:30 pm

MAHE, heard from a good source,that this mick gillen is from Kilwinning, so best avoided, bmcuwp knows him, and says to avoid at all costs.lol.

August 7, 2019 2:38 pm

Is that better now

Twists n turns
August 7, 2019 2:40 pm

I just want to state for the historical record here on the blog that I love people from Whitburn.

August 7, 2019 2:41 pm

Mahe,

when am I getting that 100 quid back you owe me pal for that time I squeezed your plook ?

August 7, 2019 2:44 pm

hey, someone has hijacked my blog name, @ 2-41

August 7, 2019 2:45 pm

TWISTY, what about people from glenboig.?

Awe Naw
August 7, 2019 2:46 pm

BP,

100 quid for one plook ?

Where was it located ? or is that why it cost 100 quid ? mahe spill

August 7, 2019 2:47 pm

Big Packy

You should know that, while in Scotland, ‘plook’ means a spot, in America, it is slang for penis.

JimmynotPaul
August 7, 2019 2:52 pm

B.P. 2.41
Does Joan know about this wee bit on the side.? ??

August 7, 2019 2:52 pm

Little amuses the innocent 🙂
Never seen the word plook in my life tbh

August 7, 2019 2:54 pm

it is scottish slang for a zit …. (I just made up the bit about it being American slang to tease BP, but dont tell him…)

🙂

August 7, 2019 2:56 pm

for plooks sake whats going on here, knew mike in Toronto was behind it.???

August 7, 2019 2:58 pm

JIMMYNOTPAUL, don’t tell her please..?hh.

JimmynotPaul
August 7, 2019 3:06 pm

Big Packy,

I wont tell her as long as you promise not to tell my wife that I had 15 links sausages for breakfast this morning washed down with a can of Tennent’s

JimmynotPaul
August 7, 2019 3:11 pm

???? 3.06.
Brilliant

August 7, 2019 3:13 pm

JIMMYNOTPAUL,.its a deal?

August 7, 2019 3:21 pm

15 sausages?!

Does SC have a doctor on call? or at least Obamacare we can opt into?

August 7, 2019 3:24 pm

and I remember the early days of CQN, when you weren’t allowed to post links to live feeds of the game…. so people would come asking for ‘sausage’ instead….

times have changed… when, once again, a link no longer means some fancy computer thingy… but an actual tubular shaped meat product

JimmynotPaul
August 7, 2019 3:30 pm

MIT. 3.21
Can you imagine?
Even at Christmas, there was 6 of us, I cooked the food, as it was meat ( except for my wife ) she said, she would eat hers in a different room.
That’s it though, we are all different and the vast majority of us have to compromise at some point in our lives.

Twists n turns
August 7, 2019 3:30 pm

Think we have had our blog names Awe Nawed ?

I’m away to check my bank account if he’s in hack mode……

Celtic Champs Elect
August 7, 2019 3:40 pm

Twists,

I took account of what you said about Awe Naw. You stood up for his character and I have to admit that I was completely wrong – he shouldn´t be stoned .. well not in that way … and you were absolutely right. He´s a lovely man and I was completely wrong.

£432.78

I think we´re in for a pumping tonight.

August 7, 2019 3:50 pm

Awe Naw

If you are hacking into my bank account, could you add a few dollars while you are there, please? thanks. Much appreciated.

🙂

Twists n turns
August 7, 2019 3:53 pm

Looks like someone has taken £600 from my bank account under the name

“PIST”

I looked it up

Preserve Inland Seagulls Trust

Oh well, it’s went to a good cause I suppose ?

Margaret McGill
August 7, 2019 3:55 pm

Hi Guys,

relax and calm down there is no way that Awe Naw or anyone has hacked Sentinelcelts while I am responsible for the security on this server.

Twists n turns
August 7, 2019 4:00 pm

Good to know you’re on the case ….err …. ahem…Maggie?

Awe Naw
August 7, 2019 4:03 pm

I´m going for a 0.2 win tonight. On one condition Big Eddy starts. Over to you Neil

August 7, 2019 4:07 pm

changing the subject slightly, I never used to have a drink watching celtic think it stems from being the driver going to parkhead and away games it did not bother me then,,that changed the night of the Seville final I was so bloomin nervous I went through 2 six packs of stella and a bottle of henry Weston cider, im nervous now about tonight, so im off to the off licence see you all later.hh.

Twists n turns
August 7, 2019 4:12 pm

Awe Naw
I think we will score. I’m sure we will concede too, we normally do away to decent teams .

I’m worried about this ref. There’s a chance he will send someone off. If he’s a homer? It’ll be someone in green and white.

We’ve got goals all across the side.

We’ve not been tested at the back.

So… I’m going to predict

Cluj 2 – Celtic 2

Return leg 3-1 hoops

Qualify 5-3 winners.

August 7, 2019 4:13 pm

Cce,,,
Fair play to you Sir. Well said.
I take it that’s how much you scooped from the bookies,, nice indeed. Have a slap up meal on them.
Take it easy

Celtic Champs Elect
August 7, 2019 4:16 pm

Good afternoon to all my Celtic supporting friends I hope all is well with you all and you are looking forward to the match tonight

Buzzing for tonight

Peroni chilling

Hospices de Beaune Volnay opened and breathing before dinner and the game last bottle before I return to Beaune in October grrr

Big pot of flank mutton soup with leek grated carrots some new potatoes and some stock cubes and a french baguette to dip in Not great for the cholesterol but who cares it’s amazing 🙂

I have looked at my collection of songs in my head and came across this classic. This is dedicated to all the guys on here who still have doubts about following the famous Glasgow Celtic

August 7, 2019 4:16 pm

Twists we tend to collapse away from home against quality. Anything but defeat would be a huge bonus. A draw would be a hell of a result.

JimmynotPaul
August 7, 2019 4:19 pm

Mahe.
Do you think, CCE would post
” I think we’re in for a pumping tonight. ”
He wouldn’t even post that, if we were playing Barca away.
I.M.O.

JimmynotPaul
August 7, 2019 4:20 pm

Mahe.
Bookies have us as favs, to win tonight.
Hopefully they are correct.

Celtic Champs Elect
August 7, 2019 4:21 pm

Celtic Champs Elect
Twists,

£432.78

I think we´re in for a pumping tonight.

Someone is at it the above was not me when I speak to TaT it’s like TaT and not Twists Someone is at the hacking games :-)))

August 7, 2019 4:26 pm

Welcome to the mineshaft, CCE…. you will come to realize that we are actually much more fun than those tight-ass, happy-camping types

🙂

Twists n turns
August 7, 2019 4:27 pm

CCE
I think most worked it out pretty quickly

I’m always a bag of nerves on these nights.

Enjoy your dinner and enjoy the game

COYBIG

Celtic Champs Elect
August 7, 2019 4:32 pm

No need to be nervous TaT we will pump them they don’t have the class we have.

Eddieinkirkmichael
August 7, 2019 5:23 pm

Difficult to predict tonight’s result as we really don’t know the standard of the league our opponents play in though given they have reached the group stages on 3 occasions over the last 10 yrs I would suggest there really isn’t to much between our respective leagues.

I have to admit that I have been pleasantly surprised by our early season form and overall play, it’s been a joy to watch, especially Saturdays game where we blew St Johnston away with ease along with some scintillating play. So I’m very optimistic going into tonight’s game and would expect us to come away with at least a draw. A clean sheet would be appreciated and no injuries please.
0-2 for the Celts.

August 7, 2019 5:23 pm

Amazed we are favs.
AweNaw :). I was actually gonna turn Gifs on for an evening just for fun but then again,,,, could get ugly.

Don’t worry about it Cce. Your soup sounds great. A new cider didn’t go down well but came up well so I’m not tip top here.

August 7, 2019 5:38 pm

ok who drinks peroni, ive just come back with 4 large bottles of the stuff, I can recommend it, im gonna go 1-1 draw and 2-0 at parkhead.coybig.hh.

jimthetim53
August 7, 2019 5:39 pm

The Exiled Tim was the first poster on this site, apart from Bobby and Mahe. 7.50am 31 August 2018. Your humble servant (me) was 4th at 10.19am.

get back on here TET. I miss you already.

August 7, 2019 5:46 pm

Bain; ElHamed, Simunovic, Ajer, Bolingoli; Brown, McGregor; Forrest, Christie, Morgan, Edouard

Subs: Gordon, Jullien, Hayes, Bitton, Shved, Ntcham , Griffiths

This line up and formation seems to work well in the SPL, but is not my preferred line up for Europe and against teams better than the SPL… …Brown and McG dont seem to link up well … CMG seems to defer to SB, who sits too deep, leaving a big hole in the middle of the park, especially with two wingers.

But, maybe we will see something different from this formation under NFL … can only hope.,

August 7, 2019 5:46 pm

no chance I was before you at 10-18am so there? but I echo your thoughts jim, the exiled tim will be back on when he is ready.hh.

August 7, 2019 5:48 pm

I say we give TET until Saturday, and then, if he hasn’t returned, we all pile into JtT’s new auto, and we do a road trip to TET’s place … and drag him out for a night out.

Hey, its what you do for your pals, when they are feeling a bit down…

so, TET, if you are lurking, you have been warned.

🙂

August 7, 2019 5:52 pm

MIKE, good idea jim can drive and we can all have a drink.?

jimthetim53
August 7, 2019 5:53 pm

MiT. Agreed.
Packy, you’re a very naughty bhoy! Three poster before me were DublinRoscommon, Celtaholic and GorbalsTam. Don’t know where those guys are now, maybe lurking.

August 7, 2019 5:57 pm

JIM,.only joking.luv ya to bits.hh.

1 2 3 6