A Bewildering Day I Could Have Done Without!

Everyone seems to think of Partick Thistle as the plucky little underdogs,the team of choice for the neutral or non-aligned footballers. Or as the butt of the occasional joke,like everyone knowing them as Partick Thistle Nil. They obviously weren’t where I was on 23 October 1971.

I wasn’t long turned eight years old,but was already a four year veteran at Celtic Park. But that was it,I’d never yet been to an away match apart from Clyde,Kilmarnock or Ayr. This wasn’t just an away match,it was a Cup Final! You’ll gather that all my Christmases had come at once when my Dad told me I was going to the game on the Saturday,and I was getting increasingly excited as the week dragged on.

Partick Thistle Nil? No-one told their players that on the day. We were,admittedly,missing a few of our regulars but still had a team available to take comfortable care of the game. Ronnie Glavin gave Jimmy a dull one early on,subbed by Jim Craig,and of course they were four up by half time.

I’d never even seen Celtic lose a match before. Ever. And certainly not this heavily,and by half time too. I do know that the expression-WTF?-didn’t occur to me,but I’m quite sure that they did for most of the crowd-even the Thistle fans!

So fast forward about 25-30 years,and I’m in the company-not for the last time-of one of the goalscorers that day. Bobby Lawrie. His daughter was the barmaid in my local and he finally opened up a wee bit about how surprised they were too at events. He said he would never forget that day-I assured him that I wouldn’t either!

So we play them again today,and for the second time in a cup competition this season. Last time,it was 5-0 to the good guys,with Scott Sinclair scoring and more importantly,Jeremie Frimpong making his debut. I’ll take that or similar today too,thank you. But let’s not be churlish about things. Partick Thistle thoroughly deserved their victory that day,and those players deserved their day in the sun,or maybe a wee chat now and again thirty years later down the pub. I’m finally over it,I guess. But here’s a marvellous article I unearthed which gives you some flavour of being a Partick Thistle player that day.

Above article by BMCUWP.

January 18, 2020 8:26 pm

Fan-we seem to be getting mixed up,
I can’t agree on rogic,five minute cameo?
Behave mate

January 18, 2020 8:29 pm

Fan -our defensive frailties start further up the park ,as you know

January 18, 2020 8:30 pm

Jtt53-how you pal?

fan-a-tic
January 18, 2020 8:31 pm

FB
A team would be less likely to have such defensive frailty.

January 18, 2020 8:37 pm

JIM, me and my mate cunny, used to hitch a lift from the A74 just by Coatbridge, to my uncles house in Liverpool, 1969/70, would not do it now for a kings ransom?

jimthetim53
January 18, 2020 8:37 pm

Fairhill Bhoy, I’m fine pal thanks. Hope your grand too. I’m watching the snooker just now. Used to play it, but I was rubbish at it. However it does give you an understanding and appreciation of what’s going on.

January 18, 2020 8:37 pm

Fan-absolutely agree,show me a team that hasn’t those frailties
Even Liverpool with the £75 million pound defender and the goalie Allison £65m?
We are where we are,deal with it.Stop over analysing us

jimthetim53
January 18, 2020 8:40 pm

Packy it’s for young ones. Even at that I wouldn’t recommend single folk to do it especially girls.

Twists n turns
January 18, 2020 8:41 pm

NAPS UPDATE

4 winners this week with Celtic Champs Elect stealing the limelight with a great 7/1 winner.

The other winners were :

– the very consistent Jimmy Not Paul with a 9/4 winner
– Jim the Tim who is edging up the table and profited from a 5/2 winner today
– Yours truly was the other finding a winner which returned at 2/1.

Well done bhoys. To the chasing pack, long way to go. It’s a marathon not a sprint as the saying goes.

Updated Table:

CCB. -£16.50
RayMac -£22

January 18, 2020 8:41 pm

Jtt53-lost interest in the snooker a long time ago
For my 16th my dad got me my membership for the Davis club in Hamilton
Loved it
Glad you’re doing fine pal?

fan-a-tic
January 18, 2020 8:42 pm

FB
Stop telling people what to do.
It smacks of arrogance.
Liverpool are not playing Scottish lower league teams so fees irrelevant.
The frequency of defensive errors is cause for concern.

January 18, 2020 8:45 pm

Fan-get a grip,would never tell you or anyone else what to do
Apologies if you thought that ?

fan-a-tic
January 18, 2020 8:47 pm

FB
No worries.

January 18, 2020 8:54 pm

Fan-can I ask you a question?
Who have I,in your opinion told what to do?
Arrogance=irony

fan-a-tic
January 18, 2020 8:56 pm

Fan-absolutely agree,show me a team that hasn’t those frailties
Even Liverpool with the £75 million pound defender and the goalie Allison £65m?
We are where we are,deal with it.Stop over analysing us

January 18, 2020 8:37 pm

January 18, 2020 8:58 pm

Fan-and can you see the arrogance and the irony yet

fan-a-tic
January 18, 2020 8:59 pm

FB
You are clear to me.

January 18, 2020 9:01 pm

Fan-that’s no really an answer

Puff puff
January 18, 2020 9:04 pm

Had a great day the tic played well new system and all just glad the footballs back HH

January 18, 2020 9:07 pm

No doubt everyone will be on shortly.
Fan-I have never knowingly bad mouthed you
Never will either mate
Thought we were just chewing the fat on our ideas of fitba
Aw well?

jimthetim53
January 18, 2020 9:09 pm

Just realised I am multi-tasking. Listening to the Dundee v Motherwell game on radio. Watching the snooker on TV with sound muted. And keeping an eye on here. Who’s a clever bhoy?

January 18, 2020 9:10 pm

Anybody watch that tonight and think yip we will go on an unbeaten run

Twists n turns
January 18, 2020 9:15 pm

Puff Puff

I feel we still overplay it in the final third. For the amount of possession we have we don’t seem to have that ruthless edge around goal. Always one or two extra sideways pass. Very fragmented.

We take so long to get the shot away defences have time to organise in numbers.

I thought the first few matches I saw Frimpong that at last, we have someone direct getting past defenders and playing dangerous crosses into the box. Tonight I thought he’s caught the ‘ Square Square back ‘ bug. Why has he changed? Other teams playing him differently?

Pleased to get through, obviously, but I wish we had more of a killer instinct.

Gordon64
January 18, 2020 9:16 pm

I see HH&MM have been deHRHed by HM and will soon be shopping at B&M. ?

January 18, 2020 9:18 pm

Who cares

January 18, 2020 9:22 pm

I’m away?
Come out come out where ever you are?

Puff puff
January 18, 2020 9:29 pm

Twists .. I agree it looks like the wee man has been told to be more patient ….but over all I’m pleased with the game and result … definitely a penalty to us and a wonderful tackle by the wee man No penalty .. as I said I’m happy and just one game and expect us to get stronger starting v Kilmarnock on Wednesday .Going to the Celtic supporters club in La to watch the famous . HH

Twists n turns
January 18, 2020 9:55 pm

Puff puff
Fully agree. Both penalty decisions wrong.

Another reason you need to be 2-3 goals better than the opponent in Scotland. Those decisions will cost us points on another day.

We need a tough tackling midfielder too.

Both ourselves and the nearest challenger can’t be overly hAppy with the performances v lower rated opposition last night and tonight. They’ll get more points gifted than we will though so we need to improve or I fear the worst.

Lenny also looks a deflated soul in that dugout. Something isn’t right there in my opinion.

Twists n turns
January 18, 2020 9:57 pm

Puff
Enjoy the Killie match bud. LA? Lucky so and so!

Hope the bhoys performance gives ya plenty to cheer

A thing of beauty
January 18, 2020 10:05 pm

I thought we started well, with good purpose and looked like we had decided to play the game in their half to squeeze the life out them. Then we were cheated out a penalty and went a bit flat. Too much recycling of the ball and a failure to get shots away, which might have at least added an element of surprise. The full backs failed to get free to get the ball in so it was back to where it came from, into the congested middle.
Also Eddie has got to stop playing PlayStation football. It looks great when it comes off but how often is that? He is taking too many touches lately, trying to beat 3/4 players when beating one and passing would be more beneficial.
Julienne always looks like he has a mistake in him and he made two belters tonight. Sometimes he just needs to keep it simple. The one for the penalty should just be put out of play especially at 2 up with no time left. Big jozo was as rusty as a shopping trolley you find in the burn and turned like one at times too but in fairness he wasn’t expecting to play. So much so he never bothered tying his boots!!
Pass marks to ntcham, brown, mcgregor, rogic and Griffiths but is anyone else concerned about our fitness levels? Why do we have to take these breathers in games and drop the tempo. It’s either complacency or lack of fitness. It needs sorted because as Fairhill boy and fan a tic have both said (albeit in different ways!!) this team is not going to go on an eleven game unbeaten run. In fact a game at killie on that surface on a cold January night is giving me the absolute fear already.
Also why can’t lenny just come out and say we should have had a penalty and the referee is at it. I know he said a little bit about their penalty not being one but ffs Neil, it’s quite clear peter Lawwell isn’t going to say anything so maybe you could.

Gordon64
January 18, 2020 10:15 pm

Atob An excellent summation of tonight’s game. Like your good self I would not be over confident going to Rugby Park on Wednesday where we will need to roll our sleeves up, be better organised and avoid any slack defending like we did tonight. Hh

January 18, 2020 10:18 pm

A THING OF BEAUTY, good to see you posting again, but imho rogic just barely got pass marks,.KTF

Sol Kitts
January 18, 2020 10:24 pm

Email sent to SFA regarding the Morelos 3 card trick. Chances of a reply? Not holding my breath….

Sir,
As a retired referee who officiated in England, I was intrigued to read that a Rangers player, Alfredo Morelos, was cautioned for a 3rd time in a recent match versus Celtic, and that the 3rd yellow card was administered after Mr Morelos had been sent from the field of play.
Would you be so kind as to clarify the protocol which the match referee was following by punishing this further misconduct? As Mr Morelos had already been dismissed and therefore taking no further part in the game, was the correct protocol followed or should the misconduct have been reported separately in the referee’s match report?
I look forward to your early reply.

Gordon64
January 18, 2020 10:30 pm

SK Good stuff. To your knowledge has a player ever received two yellow cards a red card followed by a further yellow card and if so what were the circumstances ? Hh

Margaret McGill
January 18, 2020 10:53 pm

ATOB
Thanks for the report

Puff puff
January 18, 2020 11:06 pm

Twists … thanks man yes LA to watch the famous not a bad day kind of like watching the famous in the brothers pub in poso .

Puff puff
January 18, 2020 11:18 pm

Twists .. agree about the center mid thing hopefully the new lad does that roll .
NFL looking not right well I hope your wrong on that but you never know but I did notice something similar …

Gordon64
January 18, 2020 11:34 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51164177 Proper sporting governance at work. Transparency and fairness without any shady 5 way agreements to protect their biggest club. ?

January 18, 2020 11:41 pm

SOLKITTS

That’s a superb mail. Doubtless they’ll tell you to mind your own business. But if the laws of the game are being subverted by that ‘third yellow’,a further yellow given after a red,please let me know. I think there might be a case for alerting UEFA to flagrant breaches of their rule book.

January 18, 2020 11:44 pm

GORDON64

They have no shame,as you know. Just giving us the GIRUY in clear sight. They can do it because Celtic Plc don’t do a damn thing about it. And haven’t done for years.

And we can speculate all we like as to why.

January 18, 2020 11:49 pm

I’d like to thank my sisters for having the foresight to order Premier Sports so that we could watch tonight’s game on the telly in the house.

If I’d had to watch that in the pub I’d have nipped into the offy on the way home for a bottle of oblivion.

Gordon64
January 18, 2020 11:54 pm

Bmcuwp Correct mate. As we have witnessed Celtic FC place greater importance on the preservation of the Old Firm over proper sporting governance. Hh

Margaret McGill
January 19, 2020 1:08 am

Celtic’s past present and future now coalesce. It’s so tense.

Uber Tim on Blog Mark 7 Star Date Liquidated Huns
January 19, 2020 1:27 am

Evening Fholks,

I’ve not read back, just here to comment after watching the HBC highlights from today, so forgive me if I’m interrupting anything or what not.

I’m reserving all judgements until Monday evening when the full game is available free on Premier sports free channel, but ffs, what a joy to see Leigh back.

I’ve found it scunnering the way he has been written off recently when he has had minimal game time.

The lad is a natural.

From the highlights (I know, its three BBC, but….)… he was involved in everything in those highlights.

The little chip free kick to French Eddie was a joy. Assists galore. Corner kicks. Free kicks. One of the most under rated players on the Timternet imo.

You’d be forgiven for thinking some on the other channel would like to see him sold ?

Feck that.

I’m looking forward to seeing this game in full on Monday. Change of approach looks interering. From those highlights, Leigh could be a perfect assist player for Eddie and others as well as being a random goal scorer.

The lhad is a top drawer player. Put him on, he scores. And he also creates chances galore.

I think some of us were thinking Polish Paddy was going to be a back up for Eddie. I now worry that he’s actually a replacement for him.

Wild guesswork on my part, but i would trust this board as much as I would trust Boris Johnston.

They don’t like to come out of transfer windows without making a profit ?‍♂️?

Uber Tim on Blog Mark 7 Star Date Liquidated Huns
January 19, 2020 1:31 am

BMCUW,

Reading backwards, for a bit there…. so you saw whole game?

Interested in your thoughts on Leigh, and the new formation?

Ps, shouldnt be you be on your push train just now?? ??

Uber Tim on Blog Mark 7 Star Date Liquidated Huns
January 19, 2020 1:43 am

PS, just seen Leogh’s interview.

He wants to stay. He couldn’t make it any clearer. He said it.

If this board is planning to sell him in the next week or two, it wouldn’t be a surprise, so prepare for negative pish about him on the other channel.

Uber Tim on Blog Mark 7 Star Date Liquidated Huns
January 19, 2020 2:15 am

Over on Man City Quick News, they aren’t talking about the balance sheet. They’re talking about how to fill their empty seats despite having the best hospitality in the UK, with one of the most entertaining teams on the planet ?‍♂️

So, obscure Sky and BT board heidos, say, look, this fucker is making millions out of gullible Scots even though we’ve ran their game into the dirt.

You MUST listen to him.

Rumour has it (created by me, right now), that Peter Lawell wants away, to share his genius at creating a devoted money spending following out of an apathetic support at Man C. But they actually know their business there. They had to. They have the most apathetic support in footballing history ?.

Then when the project fails, he’ll be back here, at the invite of people person philanthropist Ian Bankier to save us from self destruct mode to stop the Sevvie record of 2 in a row.

Back to cold chips at £2 @ portion bought from some struggling young student who is getting used to the verbal abuse as we become more and more like the huns every day.

You have to admit. It’s a fucking entertaining script.

Meanwhile, the rozzers keep filming……..

Uber Tim on Blog Mark 7 Star Date Liquidated Huns
January 19, 2020 2:31 am

Have we sold Big Pedro yet?

I’ll drive him to the airport myself.

Then I’ll use his 2018 salary to pay Tom Cruise to extract big Dermot using a helicopter with failing engines, and reset the share value, and then expose the SFA and SPL and Daryl Broadhoof for the hun masons they are, while I smoke a wee hamlet cigar on a beautiful beach in Costa Rica realising that this will never be more than a dream….. never be more than a dream.
Meanwhile, Sevvie G batters a camera, oblivious to the lives lost, and celebrates his future career as a manager.

What’s not to like?

Uber Tim on Blog Mark 7 Star Date Liquidated Huns
January 19, 2020 2:42 am

BMCUW/ Mahe,

I feel I’ve proven tonight that Sentinel Celts should be renamed as Uber Tim’s Blog.

I feel that’s a fair request. Don’t make me pursue legal channels.

My first move would be to discuss Awe Naw’s want to be transferred, as the greedy bollocks sees bigger pay checks south of the border.

I’d then use that info to provoke disagreement, and ask Mags to protect me from Awe Naw’s death threats.

This has been Uber Tim, from a cold, dark, lonely, miserable Motherwell bedsit, planning to be the next Shellic CEO ?

Back to you in the studio. ?