A Bewildering Day I Could Have Done Without!

Everyone seems to think of Partick Thistle as the plucky little underdogs,the team of choice for the neutral or non-aligned footballers. Or as the butt of the occasional joke,like everyone knowing them as Partick Thistle Nil. They obviously weren’t where I was on 23 October 1971.

I wasn’t long turned eight years old,but was already a four year veteran at Celtic Park. But that was it,I’d never yet been to an away match apart from Clyde,Kilmarnock or Ayr. This wasn’t just an away match,it was a Cup Final! You’ll gather that all my Christmases had come at once when my Dad told me I was going to the game on the Saturday,and I was getting increasingly excited as the week dragged on.

Partick Thistle Nil? No-one told their players that on the day. We were,admittedly,missing a few of our regulars but still had a team available to take comfortable care of the game. Ronnie Glavin gave Jimmy a dull one early on,subbed by Jim Craig,and of course they were four up by half time.

I’d never even seen Celtic lose a match before. Ever. And certainly not this heavily,and by half time too. I do know that the expression-WTF?-didn’t occur to me,but I’m quite sure that they did for most of the crowd-even the Thistle fans!

So fast forward about 25-30 years,and I’m in the company-not for the last time-of one of the goalscorers that day. Bobby Lawrie. His daughter was the barmaid in my local and he finally opened up a wee bit about how surprised they were too at events. He said he would never forget that day-I assured him that I wouldn’t either!

So we play them again today,and for the second time in a cup competition this season. Last time,it was 5-0 to the good guys,with Scott Sinclair scoring and more importantly,Jeremie Frimpong making his debut. I’ll take that or similar today too,thank you. But let’s not be churlish about things. Partick Thistle thoroughly deserved their victory that day,and those players deserved their day in the sun,or maybe a wee chat now and again thirty years later down the pub. I’m finally over it,I guess. But here’s a marvellous article I unearthed which gives you some flavour of being a Partick Thistle player that day.

Above article by BMCUWP.

Libero
January 19, 2020 11:04 pm

Oglach – good point about our sickbed queue. Is it something in the training method? Or revenge ghosts of Lennoxtown past?
Half a million doesnt sound much if you say it quick but if a guy hasn’t had game time plus has niggles, it wont solve our present problem, which is someone to relieve and inspire on the park in coming weeks.
Fan-a-tic – as BMCUWP suggests it has to be possession coaching (pen box checkback) that’s curtailing Jerry’s enterprise. Saw it in KT too latterly (albeit his injury status).
So here’s a fix…
As Taylor is a more calming presence at LB, can we offer to swap Bolingoli for Big Vic at Spurs 😉

fan-a-tic
January 19, 2020 11:11 pm

Jeremy hardly reached the opponents penalty box yesterday.
He seemed to stop just over the halfway line. most of the time.

fan-a-tic
January 19, 2020 11:13 pm

Mahones is worth the price of admission alone.
Just WOW!

January 19, 2020 11:16 pm

We go down the leaft flank way to much just watch the games back so the wee man very rarely gets on the ball … ollie should stay right if I was playing right back I would be furious with him … in the 2 hun games it happened all the time and wee jamsy took all the flack for the flow … I played right wing and believe me it can be the loneliest place on earth ..

Oglach
January 19, 2020 11:25 pm

Libero

Can we offer to swap Bolingoli for Big Vic at Spurs ?
===
I am sure that Pistol Pete will be thinking the very same thing although he would try and get some of the money he paid for Bolingoli back as well

fan-a-tic
January 19, 2020 11:32 pm

PUFF PUFF
Seriously???
Ntcham did not play in League cup final and came on in the 68th minute in the last league game against them when we improved slightly.
James Forrest rightfully took the flack for his poor showing in both games.

January 19, 2020 11:42 pm

I thought someone would say that I didn’t mean it was all ollies falt as he didn’t play in the 2 hun games .. but if you look at the 2 hun games they picked out our 2 leaft backs to nullify our game .. our weakest link in the 2 games was what stevie g attacked …

January 19, 2020 11:43 pm

He took the flack because he never got the ball .

fan-a-tic
January 19, 2020 11:44 pm

PUFF PUFF
Because he hid maybe?

January 19, 2020 11:47 pm

Fan sorry you got me dont understand ..
Have you ever played fight wing

fan-a-tic
January 20, 2020 12:00 am

Puff Puff
Let me clarify something.
I Like Forrest and am never surprised that he does well in a less physical environment in European competition.
He is very effective when he plays facing forward and comes diagonally on the inside.
But all to often he stays wide and faces backwards usually returning ball where it came from.
It may be a coaching directive but it negates his pace which is one of his assets.
Still puzzled at why you blamed Ollie?

jimthetim53
January 20, 2020 12:00 am

January 20, 2020 12:09 am

Fan . I only blamed ollie for yesterday game
I play right back now as the legs have gone and my view is if I was the wee man I would be freaking mad as hell as he naturally goes leaft all the time … as most of the players on our team ar all right footers .. wee need a couple of leaf footed players especially at the back to change the flow of the game

January 20, 2020 12:16 am

Jim . Its 12 oclock in the uk big man

jimthetim53
January 20, 2020 12:18 am

Puff puff you’re a very clever man! I just noticed that myself 🙂

January 20, 2020 12:34 am

JtT

I remember pissing myself laughing when I saw that. More fool me.

Who’d have thought at the time that the hun was right?!

Turns out the Huns, who all said they would never die, were smarter than all the Celtic fans, who thought our club was on the level.

jimthetim53
January 20, 2020 12:38 am

MIT, LOL 🙂 Sad but true (Some of it!)

January 20, 2020 12:43 am

MIT .. you need to lighten up a wee bit and start enjoying your football again …

January 20, 2020 12:49 am

Sorry Mike that seemed a little harsh what I said .. enjoy the Celtic

January 20, 2020 12:51 am

Puff puff

I do enjoy football ….. by why/how could I enjoy Scottish football, including Celtic, when (I) the football is dire, and (ii) it is predicated upon selling out my kind?

January 20, 2020 12:56 am

Ok Mike so you enjoy Epl or German league as I do … is that right?

January 20, 2020 1:17 am

Puff

They show German and Italian games on TV here. And I now get the EPL games. I enjoy the German games, which I find are usually a good blend of skill, athleticism and tactics. On their day, both Liverpool and Man City can play some great stuff. A few seasons ago, Spurs were a treat to watch (for a neutral, because they were so open, although, if I was a fan, I might want them to forego some of the flash for a trophy!).

Growing up, I was not a fan of Italian football, as it was a bit negative (before the great AC team of the ‘80’s). But, I watched a bit of the Juve game today, and a forward line of Dybala, Higuain and Ronaldo ? How could anyone not enjoy watching them? Like Messi, or Cryuff,.. it is a privilege to watch CR7.

January 20, 2020 1:27 am

Thanks Mike what a wonderful response .
Why do you not like Scottish soccer ?
I actually love watching lots of games
but see that the game is light years behind
European football when you to see the glorious Hibernation v the wee huns

January 20, 2020 1:32 am

Its just a freaking kicking match really is what I was trying to say .

January 20, 2020 1:49 am

Puff

For the most part, Scottish football is lacking in basic skill, and there is little or no tactical subtlety to it. Even the MLS is now more interesting to watch. The skill level is nearly on par with Scottish football, and tactically it is more advanced.

Not popular to say on here, but, honestly, Rangers are individually not as talented as Celtic, but they are playing better team football at the moment.

Better run … Seamus has his annual check up tonight, so I better get going.

Cheers

Margaret McGill
January 20, 2020 2:02 am

MIT
Arbroath v Falkirk or watford v spurs yesterday
FFS !

January 20, 2020 2:08 am

Yes Mike the American game or north America has got really good but I would say the famous Glasgow Celtic is as good as any team in the continent including south America teams ..
You just have to look at the Europa league teams we played … and beat

Every one on this site has to start believing in the famous Glasgow Celtic or what’s the point
In living .

Margaret McGill
January 20, 2020 2:11 am

Leicester and Burnley today was pretty good
Liverpool look like the real deal
Virgil was immense
Hard to believe he was Celtic a few years ago
I worry about Lenny. I suspect the weight of history on his shoulders is getting to him because the board couldn’t give a fuck about history but even now are still penny pinching potential signings weekly wages with £60m banked with 9iar at stake. Something better change,

Margaret McGill
January 20, 2020 2:16 am

I think it’s time to terrorize the faithful

January 20, 2020 3:32 am

Yes Maggie may its time to watch the wizard of oz .

Margaret McGill
January 20, 2020 4:06 am

…….if only I had a brain……

January 20, 2020 4:18 am