Me, Myself, and I

A couple of weeks ago,ATHINGOFBEAUTY commented that she was really impressed by the wide variety of songs posted on our site,and by the wider knowledge of those doing the posting. Wondering what our group’s favourite albums were,I suggested that she turn it into an article and we would post it for her.

As good as her word,she came up with this.

It went down a treat,as you can imagine. All brought back some great memories for us. Like when we had hair,or could still be bothered to run for a bus. Or even allowed outside to look at one! So I thought we could make it a three-parter,with today’s article on Five Favourite Debut Albums followed in a week or so with Five Favourite Albums By Scottish Artists.

Here’s mine,in no particular order.
UNKNOWN PLEASURES-JOY DIVISION

I was a 16yo when I bought this in early 1980. To be honest,I knew little about the band at the time and have no idea why I even considered it at the time. It seems obvious that I’d read about it somewhere,and presumably in glowing terms. Nothing prepared me for how I felt when I removed that shiny piece of black plastic from its matt black cover. A strange cover indeed. A depiction of a radio wave from a distant pulsar,I later found out.

That meant nothing to me-but the sound coming from my speakers soon did!

A glance at the inner sleeve told me that the sides were Outside and Inside,and the LP itself only had Outside and Inside on the sleeve. So I sat down to listen to Disorder,the first track on the album. The run-out from each side had A or B on it,so Side A it was.

Which is why I still think that She’s Lost Control is the best opening track to a debut album ever! Seems that Disorder wasn’t confined to the recording studio,it extended as far as the pressing plants. I didn’t care. I’d never heard anything like this,still haven’t. God,it was bleak,it was dark,it was as black as the sleeve or the vinyl. Was it good? Hmmm,naw.

It was f…..g brilliant! And the opener,a starter for ten,only set the scene for the rest of the album. Completely unrelentless,you could listen to it forever,even though to do so could take you to some dark places at times. Driving bass,thumping guitar-at times!-crazy synths and doleful vocals right at the front of the mix.

Instant classic for me.

BOY-U2

What can I say? My Mum is responsible for this! Told me that a Stiff Little Fingers gig was on BBC2 as I wandered back from the pub,so I sat down to watch it. Some young fellas were the support,and they really blew the Queens University audience in Belfast out of the water. I bought the album a couple of days later. I wasn’t disappointed.

This was clearly a few young fellas making their own way in life. It was raw,by hell it was raw. They weren’t yet the masters of their own music,much less their own instruments! Some of their songs,well,they had potential but might have been improved by taking a month or two more to refine them. But how could you refine this-it was simple Garage Rock! Oh yeah,there was the occasional change of pace but this was high energy at a time when high energy in music meant something completely different. That high energy wasn’t for me. This,very much,was.

The standouts for me are the fast moving tracks,the quieter and more reflective ones give you a pause for breath and then The Edge cranks up the guitar again,pulls that rhythm section into place and Bono gets the Dextrosol energy tabs out. Out of Control? No,very much in control. They had it made after this.
THE DOORS

By the time I got round to buying my first Doors album,Jim Morrison had been dead for half of my lifetime. Still,they were far from fashionable in the late 70s,but I’d heard enough about them from people whose knowledge and enthusiasm I trusted to go and find out for myself. One of them described them to me as the first punk band,pointing out that Velvet Underground just thought that they were. There’s an argument for another day!

Tell you what,though. This album must have come as a shock to the system in 1967. Aye,I know that the anti-establishment movement was on a roll with Civil Rights and Vietnam in particular to the fore. But was the world really ready for this? This was poetry,and anger. And raucous and quiet and Oedipus Complex.

Twelve bloody minutes of the latter,in what I still think is their finest moment. God,the looks I used to get when I put that on in The Golf,Prestwick in the late 80s. First time I’d ever seen a CD jukebox,five goes for a quid.

Of course,it also has some classic tracks that most of you will be aware of even if you haven’t heard the album. Such as Break On Through,and of course Light My Fire. On radio,you get three lousy minutes of fire. On the album,you get seven minutes of burning down the house!

But listen to The Crystal Ship,then tell me that you still don’t quite get The Doors. Go on,I defy you!
CRUMBLING THE ANTISEPTIC BEAUTY-FELT

Drawing attention to this one,as obscure as it is,isn’t an attempt to prove something. Or anything. It’s only to highlight an outstanding album which really should have propelled the band to greater things. In fact,it did. Their second album,Splendour of Fear,was probably better-but the band didn’t make the breakthrough. The main man of the group-there were only three of them-was determined not to become a darling of the music press.

Bad move.

Shame really. Because this is a kind of music that was different. Two guitarists playing to the front of the mix. A drummer with no cymbals. A vocal almost lost in production. It shouldn’t work. But it does,and it works beautifully.

I’m not even going to try to explain it. Google it yourself. It’s only about half an hour long,half a dozen songs. This is real chill time stuff-which makes you sit up and go-WOW!!!!
COLD FACT-RODRIGUEZ

Just to prove that I didn’t buy all these albums in a very short period of my life,I bought this in 2010. £20,and the most expensive piece in my collection. Fortunately not the most valuable,not that I’m selling! Bit of a cheat though,as it was released in 1970.

So why did it take me so long to get round to it? Well,this might be the original definition of Lost Classic,and I’m hugely indebted to Tony,my Aussie brother-in-law,for introducing me to it. Along with my sisters,he bought me a laptop back then. Loaded up their CD collection to my new ITunes account. I bought an iPod,loaded up my own CDs and heard this.

Oh,wow. Why had I never heard this? From the opening track of Sugarman-which you really must listen to using headphones or a well set up system-to the,och here’s the track listing. See if you can guess the anger and bitterness he so beautifully plays out.

Title
Length
“Sugar Man”
3:45
“Only Good for Conversation”
2:25
“Crucify Your Mind”
2:30
“This Is Not a Song, It’s an Outburst: Or, the Establishment Blues”
2:05
“Hate Street Dialogue”
2:30
“Forget It”
1:50
“Inner City Blues”
3:23
“I Wonder”
2:30
“Like Janis”
2:32
10.
“Gommorah (A Nursery Rhyme)”
2:20
11.
“Rich Folks Hoax”
3:05
12.
“Jane S. Piddy”
2:54

He does so superbly well,like a master of his trade. Yet he was far from that. The album sank like a stone,as did his Follow-up Coming From Reality. Regarded even at the time as a masterpiece in the Southern Hemisphere,he was apparently unaware of that-as he didn’t receive any royalties!

It’s a fascinating story,and in,erm,Cold Fact,that story won an Oscar for Best Documentary as his tale,and eventual recognition,was brought to a wider audience.

Google the man,google the album,google the film. They’re all available on YouTube. You’ll honestly I Wonder why this stunning album escaped your notice for so long.

I know I did. Thanks,Tony.

There you are,folks. Five of my best. I’ve left out one or two top contenders as they will make an appearance on the Scottish one! Let us know your best.

Above article by BMCUWP. As always,we are keen to put the thoughts of our readers out there for all to see as Article of the Day. If you have anything to say,say it here. Mail it to Mahe.

sentinelcelts@gmail.com

craig 76
April 4, 2020 1:18 pm

BP a lot of scottish butchers have websites you can order your meat and get it deliverd
will not be as cheap as supermarket but you will get proper square/lorne,scottish steak mince etc.

April 4, 2020 1:18 pm

Meant to post this last night, but the drugs kicked and API fell asleep first….

April 4, 2020 1:25 pm

I thought the McKenna article was fair enough .. it was how he feels … but Celtic’s slogan is not ‘more than a club’, it is ‘a club like no other’ … not quite the same thing …

Will give this some thought, but first I have to put on my jazz pants and take Seamus for a walk

April 4, 2020 1:28 pm

There is a butchers in Dukes Rd Burnside, doing home deliveries, pay over the phone.

April 4, 2020 1:35 pm

MAHE and I disagree over what should be allowed to be posted on this site. Here’s a redacted copy of a mail earlier this morning.

Hi,S

That’s a hugely dispiriting reply. You say two posters-I could show you many times more that of mails and texts and their comments about the conspiracy nutters being allowed to post on the site.

I don’t give a monkeys how many people post their ridiculous nonsense about Kennedy,the moon landings,9/11,God being an astronaut. That’s up to them if they want to be seen as total nutcases. Those events are in the past,their wacko crap is only a danger to sanity. This is current. It is now. Putting nonsense into the heads of already bored people isn’t a danger to their sanity as much as to their actual health.

It is fucking dangerous,S

And it’s not only an affront to free speech,it’s an affront to decency. With free speech comes responsibility. It falls to us to allow people to exercise that right sometimes,but it falls to them to be responsible about it. And when they can’t be responsible,then it by turn falls to us to take that responsibility.

There are huge question marks behind this outbreak,and I’m sure it will be subject to a thorough examination and inquest when it is all over. Not only where it came from-I would have no problem for instance with someone posting an adequately sourced comment that it is a lab invention/mistake,like Marburg for instance was-but also government responses to it. Many will have their place in the court of public opinion. Now,that is serious research and debate.

What I object to,and I firmly believe that I am right on this,is the usual suspects bombarding us with genuinely dangerous disinformation. And not only dangerous to the gullible who believe it,but also to the site itself. And I’m not only talking about those correspondents who mailed/texted me in astonishment and disgust.

Facebook,twitter and other social media sites are removing videos,comments,even entire sites for propagating this rubbish. Over here,the regulator Ofcom has told its outlets that they will remove licences. WordPress will surely follow.

Let them believe their nonsense,by all means. Leave them to their obscure YouTube channels,if there are any left. It’s where that shite came from and where it belongs. There are about five posters on our site who have any truck with it,and they are dragging the site down by being permitted to post without sanction.

I don’t agree with you on this,S. And that’s coming from someone who has been questioning nearly everything for forty odd years. We can question it afterwards. Not now. Meantime,this crap has no place on our site. And not because I think it’s crap,btw. Because it is dangerous to the gullible-and dangerous to the site itself,as I said.
******

I’ll continue to add the occasional comment,but I feel very strongly over this. I won’t be contributing any more articles and no longer wish to be associated with the site other than as a lurker.

A thing of beauty
April 4, 2020 1:36 pm

Debut albums. Difficult choices and most relate again to times in my life when I was listening to this particular type of music.
Bon jovi Slippery when wet. Some good tunes on here from what appeared to be pin up boys but have proved their longevity.
Whitney Houston Whitney Houston. Just a fantastic singer, gone far too soon.
Rattlesnakes Lloyd Cole and the commotions. Bored you enough with this last week.
Definitely maybe. Oasis Got into this after I bought their second album but this is a cracker. Not a bad tune on this.
The Killers Hot Fuss. Just a great album. Again no fillers and what a show they put on.

April 4, 2020 1:39 pm

I should add that I’ve only quit because of MAHE’s reply to the mail,above,that I sent him.

Philbhoy
April 4, 2020 1:50 pm

Sorry to hear that but I admire your stand.

I’ve asked PAUL67 for an amnesty on all CQNers previously red carded.

SC and CQN are a Godsend in these most difficult times.

Not everyone self isolating has friends or neighbours so the blogs keep people in touch.

You take care and it almost goes without saying, but the girls send their love!

The Gombeen Man
April 4, 2020 1:52 pm

MIT,

Matthew attended St Andrew’s and St Bride’s in EK. He was very well liked there. He followed Rangers, I think his Dad supports them.

April 4, 2020 1:52 pm

CRAIG 76 ,cheers pal, will look into that?

Gordon64
April 4, 2020 1:57 pm

Can someone please explain to me WTF is going on ? ?

April 4, 2020 2:00 pm

If people are uncomfortable with everyone being able to post what they like, maybe an open blog isn’t the place for you. The min we have one person deciding what is acceptable for everyone, we are in trouble.

Sorry you feel like that, Bobby, but can’t agree with your description of people on here as “Nutters” ..nice way to describe fellow Tims who have been nothing but honest about what they believe.. who are you to decide they are nuts?!

Piss-poor, imo

April 4, 2020 2:02 pm

Davie Hay and Archie MacPherson on Radio Scotland soon talking about Celtic v Leeds games…

April 4, 2020 2:04 pm

BADA @1-28 do they deliver in the Cheshire area??

jimthetim53
April 4, 2020 2:11 pm

It’s a balancing act moderating a site I would imagine. I think this site has been good for discussing a huge range of topics. Mostly Celtic or football related but plenty off topic too. No problem. BUT, when a poster comes on angry and on a mission to spread very controversial topics, overwhelms the site and has a victimhood mentality, that is another thing altogether. And It was beginning to spread, albeit at a lower level, but an unfriendly atmosphere was germinating, alien to this site previously. We had a reputation for being a polite friendly blog. Let’s keep it that way. If we have a point to make, make it. Read responses, answer them. But at some point, let it go! Move on! If it is all important to you find a like minded blog.

April 4, 2020 2:14 pm

BIGAUDIODYNAMITE

Well,you’re one of them. You would say that.

April 4, 2020 2:20 pm

TGM

My question was not a dig. I assumed maybe Big Billy’s daughter had married a zombie …. something like that. Was more amazed that Billy’s personality wouldn’t have been enough to sway the day.
No offence intended. I hope none taken.

April 4, 2020 2:21 pm

PHILBHOY

Ah,yer a star. Philvis-style Thumbs-up to you.

Girlie hug to the beautiful ones,manly hug tae my pal.

Philbhoy
April 4, 2020 2:24 pm

Thanks Bobby!
Take care and keep in touch!
Cyber hugs to you too!

Take care!

The Gombeen Man
April 4, 2020 2:24 pm

MIT,

No offence taken at all. I thought a few might be thinking the same thing and you provided the opportunity to clear that up.
A genuinely decent kid and an only child so very sad.

April 4, 2020 2:26 pm

Bobby – Wow, you’re a gem, eh?

April 4, 2020 2:27 pm

The site will be here tomorrow ?

April 4, 2020 2:29 pm

MICK, ffs get back on here, your getting as bad as me for flouncing? you and stevie started this site, and we all appreciate it, can honestly say would not be the same if you left, ffs we are all tims.HH

April 4, 2020 2:32 pm

BIGAUDIODYNAMITE

OH,OUCH.

That hurt,but bring it on. I’ll freely admit to you being one of the Tinfoil Helmet Brigade who jumped on every loony choon theory.

Talk about the Celtic,that’s clearly a subject you know about.

April 4, 2020 2:34 pm

BIGPACKY
I’ll post comments. Not articles.

I feel very strongly about this,and that allowing disinformation is damaging to the site.

April 4, 2020 2:40 pm

MICK, I can see you feel strongly ?

April 4, 2020 2:42 pm

? All sorts of attention seeking going on today. Me, myself, and i, right enough.

April 4, 2020 2:46 pm

Bobby, whatever. The site will be a better place without your snide comments to fellow Tims, who you have just labelled a bunch of nutters.

April 4, 2020 2:47 pm

To say players are breaking furlough rules, by keeping fit,is pretty ridiculous.

jimthetim53
April 4, 2020 2:48 pm

Bada, the government is asking people to keep fit! Everyone, including footballers presumably.
Sounds like lawyers getting on a jolly! (sorry Mike!)

April 4, 2020 2:52 pm

BAD- we are all visitors here,to a site which 2 guys put a lot of work in creating, Mi k has warned on the conspiracy theorists from time to time, not hard to adhere to it IMO.Would you show bad manners at a friend’s house, I don’t think you would mate.Cabin fever kicking in all around as well HH

April 4, 2020 2:54 pm

Fuxake,just been told the site willl be better without me.

Interresting.

April 4, 2020 2:59 pm

Most definitely, the blog will be better without personal abuse. You can disagree with someone all day, but to call them nutters cause you don’t agree with them, is really poor.

April 4, 2020 3:04 pm

BIGAUDIODYNAMITE

Funny you should say that,I was gonna tell everyone exactly what I thought of you.

Obviously I’m far too polite. I’ll let them guess.

NorrieM
April 4, 2020 3:06 pm

Sol Kitts
May your Mum Rest Peace

April 4, 2020 3:09 pm

Bobby, like I said, you’re gem, pal ?

April 4, 2020 3:16 pm

Take the long way home – Faithless

NorrieM
April 4, 2020 3:23 pm

BMCUWP & Mahe
Bhoys, not a huge contributor, though I do look in daily
If you don’t mind
The background wallpaper is great to look at
Unfortunately
It does not work with the white text box onto a white background
Not for me – sorry
Change the comment text box to a yellow background???

jimthetim53
April 4, 2020 3:24 pm

I remember the night before TLR got red carded. I was gobsmaked with his feeble attempts at trying to be reasonable which lasted one or two posts until he went on a rant again. I went to bed. I got up. Eureka! I was convinced it was Awe Naw up to his hi-jinks. Except it wasn’t!

One thing which annoys some posters, esp. TLR, is the lack of a lengthy, detailed debate.
Do you know why that was so? Because most people couldn’t be arsed! They weren’t interested in debating preposterous notions. Doing the research. So they sometimes were given short shrift. Which seemed to spark insults galore. (Not from Bobby).

Here’s an ‘off the top of my head’ theory. To take a hugely inordinate interest in conspiracy theories takes a certain mindset.. That’s not nescessarily (sp) a criticism. But it is not shared by many. For most of us these conspiracies merely raise an eyebrow. It can even be entertaining on TV like the ‘moon landing’ theories. But It’s not why people come on here – 3 or 4 days of rants.

Friesdorfer
April 4, 2020 3:27 pm

Mick, not sure what the issue is between you and Stevie, but I sincerely hope that you both can resolve it.

As for comments by others, it is invariably wise to think what you like, but think carefully before you speak.

Me, myself, I right enough.

Gordon64
April 4, 2020 3:32 pm

Top 5 Debut albums-As 3 of my top 5 albums were actually debut albums A Walk Across the Rooftops by The Blue Nile, Rattlesnakes by Lloyd Cole and the Commotions and The Stone Roses by The Stone Roses it doesn’t give me alot of options however after much deliberation over a cold beer I’ve included Is This It by The Strokes and Psychocandy by The Jesus and Mary Chain (both of which I recall playing to death) on my list. ?

April 4, 2020 3:38 pm

JtT

Being both a lawyer, and a bit of a fatty at the moment, I am somewhat conflicted! Might end up arresting myself.,?

jimthetim53
April 4, 2020 3:42 pm

Mike, I will declare myself a paralegal and defend you mate 🙂

April 4, 2020 3:46 pm

BIG AUDIO DYNAMITE, remember that cufuffle with TLR, I posted and said to him lions roar just post about celtic you know your stuff about the bhoys, Im saying to you the same, when you talk celtic its brilliant, hope you don’t take offence to this mate.HH

April 4, 2020 3:55 pm

MIKE IN TORONTO how is seamus doing not worried about you?? only joking mike.

April 4, 2020 3:59 pm

BP, when someone engages with me like you have, I never take offence pal ?

Margaret McGill
April 4, 2020 4:16 pm

I agree with Bobby and I will be joining awe naw on a self imposed exile for a while.
Now that we have someone in our family who has the coronavirus listening to these conspiracy theories with no basis in fact sounds like trumpets and it just makes me angry and sad.
I guess we should all go back to talking just about Celtic.
ATOB nice picks. Felt I dont know.
Later fellow Tims.

April 4, 2020 4:19 pm

Today is the 700th anniversary of the declaration of Arbroath.

For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive.
Never will we on any conditions
Be brought under English rule.
It is in truth, not for glory, not riches nor honours
that we are fighting,
But for freedom – for that alone,
Which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Margaret McGill
April 4, 2020 4:26 pm

BAD
Dont you mean bought and sold for English Gold?
BTW I have tried engaging using lethal weapons such as O-level biology and O-level physics to no avail. I guess when people have rigid belief systems that accommodate “facts” that the creator of the universe stumbled about the Palestinian wilderness 2000 years ago in human form you can believe anything.