Football after lockdown

While the accusations rage on in Scottish Fitba who said what to whom, what are their names, we don’t do walking away la de da de da we turn our view to Football After Lockdown.

What will it be like? Well, there is a certain amount of crystal ball gazing required, but fortunately I have been dealing with some experts on crystal ball gazing recently.

Life after Lockdown – much to most people’s disappointment will be very similar to life under lockdown with some relaxations in certain areas, however life will not revert to normality until there is a vaccine, and until the majority of the nation are vaccinated. So we are talking 12 months for a vaccine, which could mean it would be available as early as February 2021 (12 months after development started). If we take a random number of inoculations per day of say 200,000 then we are looking at about 330days to inoculate the UK – and we all know that Scotland will be at the back of the queue. So we’re talking about full normality around February 2022 and maybe from around August 2021 there will be sufficient inoculations to allow the 21-22 season to begin as normal.

A recent study from  a world class engineering office simulated office work after lockdown, and while you may wonder what this has to do with fitba, well it showed that under normal conditions safety cannot be guaranteed as 2m separation is generally impossible with pinch-points being meeting rooms / kitchens / elevators / wc’s. To work safely they had to drop the population to 25% of capacity to be able to safely navigate office life, which means that many of us will probably only be going into the office 1-2 days a week for the next 15 months or so and meetings will all be online. Otherwise companies risk getting sued, so they just won’t risk it.

Translating this into football terms, it probably means that the current capacity of Celtic Park of 60,411 could be dropped to a maximum of around 15,000 – if spectators are allowed at all for the 2020-2021 season. Seats will have to be designated at appropriate distances from neighbors – and I suspect they will put in Yellow seats or something to make sure that they are the only ones allowed to be used (or maybe temporarily remove the other seats). I can imagine fascist stewards having a field day.

I remember all too well the season after Kenny left when we were utter dross with crowds of around 15,000 and it was grim, but putting this into the current context, what does this mean for:

• Season ticket renewals that have already been issued?
  • Once they realize the requirement for reduced capacity, who gets the tickets? Maybe season tickets will not be for all games – just a quarter of games to enable all fans to attend at some point. Maybe you get Celtic TV chucked into the package to sell some additional licences and allow you to see the games that you cannot attend.
  • What will the playing budget be if our matchday income is slashed by ¾ for next season?
  • Will PL get his annual bonus?
  • How will they refund games not played this season if they cant provide a discount on next season as there will be a reduced number of tickets available?
  • If the playing budget gets slashed by ¾, which players will be retained and who will be deemed too expensive?
  • Will PL retain players whose contracts expire in May 2020? Probably not as he will need to slash the payroll.

For many clubs in Scotland playing to tiny crowds will not have an impact on their finances, but how will the other mob survive, if they are still a going concern in a few months time? We don’t know the answers to these questions at present, but looking on the bright side, it should be a hell of a lot easier to get parked.

The above is by Dubaibhoy. As usual its sentinelcelts@gmail.com for any guest article’s which are always appreciated.

April 18, 2020 1:43 pm

Question for the day: does Kim Kardasian’s bum herald the end of a society that has become bloated, or can she, or at least her bum, lead us to a better world?

April 18, 2020 1:45 pm

AFTERNOON ALL and JIM, weefra ,nice to see you on, will be back shortly ghuys with another true story?

April 18, 2020 1:47 pm

AWE NAW, why am I not on your greatest drummers list, im in the huff?

AndersD
April 18, 2020 1:48 pm

Kim Kardashians ass deserves to host it’s own chat-show…think I mibbe jist copyright that ?

April 18, 2020 1:57 pm

I know she’s 80, but I still dare anyone to see her, and try not to fall a little bit in love with her …impossible … the amazing Mavis Staples .. with a song for our times…

MarioB
April 18, 2020 2:10 pm

MarsPapa, Garry, AweNaw and others, bloody music youse guys driving me mental. Everyone a winner, memories. You should start up a radio station SCFM blasting out those crazy toons.

yesterday was excellent on here great discussions and input, diverse and intelligent. Nae fallouts, the way it should be.

BMCUWP and Mahe thanks for all your work. mabes before quiz tonight we should all go outside and batter those pots n pans.
as big Jock said nae blog without fans.

AndersD
April 18, 2020 2:12 pm

Mike…I admit to generally blanking yer music after listening to some pish…but that…wow…thank you ?? Pretty sure 80 is still too young for your tastes tho lol

April 18, 2020 2:14 pm

Andres …

Err… thank you …. I think?

Weefra
April 18, 2020 2:17 pm

Big packy

Nice to be back on buddy. Hope you are all well in your household. HH

AndersD
April 18, 2020 2:17 pm

Andres…Mike are you frenching me lol ?

jimthetim53
April 18, 2020 2:19 pm

Hiya all, and Packy.

Weefra, good to see you back on, best wishes to you and the Mrs. And out feathered friends?

fan-a-tic
April 18, 2020 2:20 pm

DUBAIBHOY
I fear you are right in this well written article.
Will football ever recover?
Change was coming to the corrupt game as new fickle audiences and tv revenues destroyed the sport.
Fear has overtaken and social distancing will still be individually followed.
There are many instances of cataclysmic events destroying seemingly untouchable dominant businesses.
And those that require large personal audiences will be most affected by this.
Will parents again allow to participate in team contact sports if there is one incident that causes an outbreak?
Kids will immerse themselves in more social media as the new norm.
Here in the USA American football audiences have been declining steadily for years especially in those under 23.
Mostly because of awareness and fear of lasting illness caused by the effects of high speed impact.
The NFL have hired a kids ad agency to try and halt the decline and have changed the rules on hitting but to no avail.
This has seen rapid growth in the soccer market and it’s now the number 1 participation sport in the country.
But even before this pandemic parents started to worry about the impact of heading the ball and the artificial surfaces not only causing injury but also being hazardous with chemicals used.
Virtual leagues and gaming may benefit the most and tv revenue will dip dramatically.
I think that it will be a long torturous journey as the football owners and authorities struggle to regain their foothold by attempting all kinds of reform.
Once the realization hit’s that it will never be the same will they abandon football and look for profit elsewhere?

April 18, 2020 2:29 pm

MIKEINTORONTO 143

Last time I saw an arse that size,Ally McCoist’s voice was coming out of it.

April 18, 2020 2:30 pm

WEEFRA

Howdy,young fella. Grand wee blether yesterday.

April 18, 2020 2:31 pm

Weefra

Nice to see you on.

I think you guys are pretty far removed from the crush. In case it gets worse, has anyone called dibs on your couch yet? I’ll even sleep in the barn

April 18, 2020 2:40 pm

MIKEINTORONTO Sleeping in the barn is a pretty good option,actually. Because their pet ram sleeps on the couch.

April 18, 2020 2:43 pm

Time to put this quiz together. Back once I’ve found all the scraps of paper I wrote down question ideas on.

AWENAW

Strangely,I don’t think any were Dylan-related. I’ll try and think of one,seeing as it’s you. Kinda guy I am,mate.

Weefra
April 18, 2020 2:45 pm

Jimthetim53

Good to hear from you again. Was just about to ask big packy where you were. ?? HH

April 18, 2020 2:46 pm

How long have we known each other now? You can call me MiT.

Every time you type out MIKEINTORONTO in full and in capital letters, i think I’m in trouble!

it feels like when I was a kid and in trouble, and my mum would shout , MICHAEL GERARD …’ (yes, that is my middle name).

?

April 18, 2020 2:48 pm

JIM and WEEFRA, the trio is back together again, weefra im on drums, jim is on flugelhorn and trumpet, what are you playing??

Weefra
April 18, 2020 2:49 pm

Yes indeed, enjoyed our wee natter yesterday. Got the prescriptions well so will be kept alive for another wee while. Oh, the pet ram only sleeps on the couch when he cannie get in the bed. ??

jimthetim53
April 18, 2020 2:52 pm

“Last time I saw an arse that size,Ally McCoist’s voice was coming out of it.”

Bobby, LOL
That’s a cracker!

Weefra
April 18, 2020 2:55 pm

I’ll just play the fiddle like I’ve always done. Remember my age, many a good tune etc. :)))))

jimthetim53
April 18, 2020 2:57 pm

Packy, you may joke but I did play flugelhorn for a wee while when I was about 14. It’s an instrument with a beautiful mellow sound. (not when I played it!)

Weefra
April 18, 2020 3:02 pm

Nice to be back on. I’m afraid the couch is fully booked, but the barn……..

Hmmmmmmm? ??HH

April 18, 2020 3:02 pm

when I was driving one week my mate would do the north, and I would do the south, but we would speak for hours on the phone while we were travelling, hands free by the way? we would have little sayings like, I would say to him, oh that coffee smells nice ,he would immediately say your just passing Banbury in Oxfordshire, there is a big coffee making factory there ?then he would say just think your father used to work here, he was passing dullatur, there used to be a colliery there think its gone now, ach happy memories??

April 18, 2020 3:04 pm

JIM, loved it when I played with the big band, and the flugelhorn was there, lovely sound?

jimthetim53
April 18, 2020 3:05 pm

This is Weefra a few years ago Packy. Can you tell which one is him?

April 18, 2020 3:05 pm

WEEFRA, ffs your not as old as jim???

April 18, 2020 3:07 pm

JIM, the one in the middle with the hat playing the fiddle??

The Gombeen Man
April 18, 2020 3:19 pm

Dubaibhoy,

Thanks for the article.

There’s so much conflicting information out there that nobody has really came to terms with what’s going on and what the future will look like.
Today for example we’re told by the WHO that the presence of antibodies doesn’t necessarily mean immunity. That’s despite the emphasis on testing to ascertain the percentage of those who have recovered.
It’s still early days and it’s going to take time.

Anne Budge wasn’t in her elevated role a matter of hours before she undermined her own credibility and the Task Force (I know).

She must have been on the sherry before that interview. I thought the conclusion came at the end of the process?

Scottish football waits with baited breath for the Parks of Hamilton dossier. Douglas to date has relied on a few lines from Private Eye to prove his point.

His point is that the Chair of the SPFL should be a card carrying Sevconian.

I’m looking forward to reading the contents of the Sevco Says No, WhatsApp Group. That’ll be illuminating.

Stevie G is holed up on Merseyside correcting his own homework for his coaching badges. He’s demanding a forensic enquiry. Stevie has quite a bit of experience of scenes of crime investigations.

Ladbrokes were left scratching their heads as they moved to centre stage in Sevco’s ire. They’ll be delighted to be shot of the blue IOU.

Meanwhile UEFA are moving heaven and earth to accommodate Sevco and have them back at the top table.

Cut throat gestures, handgun gestures, bombs under Lamborghinis, sectarian singing, threats to referees, wrecked toilets, Celtic bus attacked, bombs in the post, death threats, EBT’s, Same Club, Res 12…

Thank God someone is standing up for the integrity of football.

April 18, 2020 3:19 pm

JIM, that video would not play for some reason, keep getting an error message will keep trying?

April 18, 2020 3:21 pm

Afternoon all
I hope this finds you well and staying safe. Great night on the Nightshift last night, plenty of people allowed to stay up late at the weekend!!

I need to correct you…i think you’ll find it was me that posted Paul Haig! No apology necessary!

Big Jim Packy and JtT
How are you guys doing today?

April 18, 2020 3:26 pm

MCAFF, hi pal all ok, by the way it took me an hour this morning to read the night shift, but well done ghuys ,BTW your taste in music is rubbish??

jimthetim53
April 18, 2020 3:33 pm

Hi McCaff, fine thanks, no need to ask how you’re doin LOL 🙂
I keep missing Afghan to wish him a happy birthday, pass it on for me.
Good read back this morning, as Packy says it took a while but there’s no rush nowadays!

jimthetim53
April 18, 2020 3:38 pm

Packy that’s a pity about the link not working but you will find it no bother on youtube if you can be ersed! I loved it, the young lads have talent way beyond their years. Or maybe I was a slow learner! 🙂

mahe
April 18, 2020 3:48 pm

Dubaibhoy,
Many many thanks for the article pal.
I will be honest and say that I expect a vaccine fast tracked, or if not a vaccine then something that takes away a lot of the side effects so it isnt that harsh on most.
But thats wishful thinking.
In the meanwhile, as one who had one foot out the door already, Scottish football has been thrown a second chance to get its house in order and there are mixed signals on how this one will go.
Im thinking reconstruction voted down, which means no Jambos, and der Hun to implode and with this economy they would be lucky to find a buyer.
Then theres the footballing world at large, it should reallign with no more non profit models etc.
Ultimately we wait and see how the chips fall but it would seem to me we are well placed in having a profitable business model, solid fan base, etc etc.
The longer this goes on the more likelyhood of clubs going to the wall. If we dont have a league to play in by the time all get the go ahead, thats our chance imo.
Straight down south without them, or a British league of whatever, but we should make gestures.

One other thought, the reconstruction is supposed to include or be looking at colts teams in the lower leagues. If things go back to normal that means there are two Celtic teams out there to be cheated and refs allow to be kicked off the pitch by hammerthrowing journeymen.

Things cant go back the way they were. It was a semblance of a sport up north.
I hope they grasp this opportunity but fear self preservation and historic bias will once again play a huge part in shaping any decisions.

Cheers again.

April 18, 2020 3:48 pm

Big Jim Packy and JtT
The night shift is manic!! Everybody posting music and comments constantly…it’s hard to keep up, ye go to the fridge for a beer and ye miss a whole load of stuff! It’s good fun but it turns youre nights into day. And I noticed some of the guys worked right thru…they must be on double time efter 6! 🙂 🙂 🙂

April 18, 2020 3:52 pm

BTW, afghan melons, very happy birthday from wee joan?

April 18, 2020 3:56 pm

…and DubaiBhoy…You both make excellent points and I maintain it’s impossible to see how it all pans out longterm. Obviously the longer it goes on the harder it becomes to survive. The point was made earlier about the lower league teams with few supporters will probably be able to tough it out and there’s a truth in that as these are more often ‘community minded’ clubs but further up the overheads are enormous for EVERY club and the lack of income will definitely push some to the brink if not over. The CFC PLC will understand this and I’d be surprised if informal talks haven’t already been had about moves to England but more likely a season long Euro League with a Colts team for development.

mahe
April 18, 2020 3:56 pm

Wee Fra good to see you about. Take care during these crazy times.

Harvey Im a 74 child also. Prefer the original of that song although I agree on early 90s. Loved those days.

Busy day, especially if want to do the quiz.
Laters

April 18, 2020 3:56 pm

JIM, I wiil get it on you tube, love that song, once backed an artist in a cabaret club in Liverpool ,playing that song, my feckin wrists were in knots afterwards? another true story ?

April 18, 2020 3:59 pm

JtT
I keep meaning to ask you did you ever play with the Big Band Sound (?) that’s organised by a wummin in Bishopbriggs or Kirkintilloch?

ASWGL
April 18, 2020 4:01 pm

Afternoon all, McCaff got me grounded for staying up till after 4am and my cold feet woke up the fuhrer, so I’m noa allowed on the nightshift again.
She said I’ve to make do with big Jim and packy on the day shift, as they look like they are in a nice ward.

April 18, 2020 4:03 pm

ASWGL
😉 🙂 🙂

April 18, 2020 4:03 pm

I think it was after 6 for me!

April 18, 2020 4:04 pm

ASWGL, you can join us anytime, what instrument do ypu play??

April 18, 2020 4:05 pm

We’re all gonna get a shock when the lockdown finishes!! I used to be teetotal on a Friday night a s I take the wee guy’s team on a Saturday morning, I’ve turned into a Fri/Sat/Sun bevvy-merchant

Weefra
April 18, 2020 4:05 pm

mahe

Good to be about again. I’ll be 74 in August and leaving the house as little as possible. One good thing ia the saving on petrol. Filled the car 3 weeks ago and have only done 51 miles since filling. ??? HH

ASWGL
April 18, 2020 4:08 pm

Cheers packy, I have absolutely zero co-ordination, if i go near a musical instrument, I look like I’m having a fit under a strobe light