Lions Led By Charlatans.

This site has been saying for some time that there was an enormous rebuild ahead,with an entire team needing signed-either as first team ready or as back up. The early weeks of the transfer window were spectacularly uninspiring,but we have certainly upped the ante in the last fortnight.

There is no doubt that the signings yesterday of Hart and McCarthy are a recognition that projects are not the answer,not in the here and now. These guys ARE the here and now,and I’m getting slightly more hopeful-although I believe there is still a long way to go. As we all know.

We are in real trouble here,folks.  It is plain for everyone to see. There was a ramping up of the refereeing last season to Stop The Ten-although,as it turned out,it was hardly necessary. There will clearly,from Saturday’s evidence,be a further ramping up due to the automatic place in the CL next season.

Although it too hardly looks to be necessary,does it?

We are a shambles on and off the pitch at the moment. I have no idea why AP decided to leave out our best two performers in midweek,the centre backs,to play a recent arrival and a proven failure. I have no idea either why he continues with one up front when that one up front canny be arsed. I mean,look at that header,bouncing off his head to Gordon,bugger me backwards.

It is easy to complain about our midfield,I get that. But they know that they are meant to be the providers-but to whom? That means they have to take the responsibility for the goals onto their own shoulders. And that too often means that they are caught out of position-which means that they can’t do their other job. The one of protecting the defence.

And bloody hell,does our defence need protecting !!!

We are in deep shit,and we know where the blame lies. This will not be a simple fix,this is us thirty years ago-but without even the same quality of players,and we had some real quality even then. And we can’t blame AP and Dom when the quick fix doesn’t arrive,we simply can’t afford to chop and change. They need time,and they need support. From us,and from the board.

And also from the players.

In fairness,most of the players on Saturday gave their all. The usual suspects did not,so no surprise. AP will know by now who he can trust.

On and off the pitch.

SOLKITTS said the other night that it’s gonna be a long season. He’s not wrong-except I think there may be more than one. I pointed out last week that Rome wasn’t built in a day-but it burnt down in one night.

That is what we are dealing with here,what AP and Dom are having to turn around.

What a legacy to leave for “a well run club” and “a Champions League club”

Lions led by charlatans,indeed.

******

30 Comment authors
Notify of
Pitymevin

Great read Bobby,

The tom English article on bbc is no a bad read as well.

fan

The signings are what we need at this time.
A goalie who saves shots.
A midfielder with guile, experience and defensive awareness.
Our midfield balance has been wrong.
Maybe McCarthy will be the outball link for the defense we require?

saltires en Sevilla

Good stuff Bobby

Adding some men into the spine is a good idea – maybe not prime, but experience will help those around them. Fitness and staying on the pitch might bea challenge with the rules in Scotland etc…

A Seasoned centre forward – with something to prove next -chuck in a few FB and something to build on

At least a month away from settling tho’ – then -the rebuild can begin on fitness and tactics.

Friesdorfer

Good Morning all, from a(nother) gloriously sunny Dundee on the silvery Tay. Aye, it’s a worry Bobby. But small shoots ‘n ‘at…. Hopefully some more quality and experience to come in.

saltires en Sevilla

Midges of Daneland

Are they guilty or just dafties- fined and papped out for 3 seasons

Solution: PSV win their. current tie as a walkover…. but Celts are ‘opponents’ – (Celts are qualified to EL groups??)

The Czechs get a bye … and a nice case or two of Pilzen

Everyone happy

Pivo Yo!

fan

I wouldn’t mind seeing a midfield triangle of McCarthy ,Welsh and Turnbull.
Welsh has a bit of Davy Hay about him.He has tenacity in the tackle and can pass.
He and McCarthy would form a formidable defensive duo and stop our midfield being an easy area that allows opponents too much space.
Turnbull could be our creative and have more license to probe and roam.
Soro was good on Saturday but he needs work on his touch and positioning but could slot in for either of our defensive duo.
Likewise McGregor for Turnbull.Maybe a more forward role will see him return to the positive footballer he was in Brendan’s first season and a half.

saltires en Sevilla

Fan

Could see McCarthy & Welsh ok.

Good morning, friends.
It doesn’t take much to confuse me but is anyone else seeing 2 articles this morning, both titled ‘Lions Led by Charlatans’ but with different comments under each? Maybe the self isolation is getting to me….?
Oh and I’m posting this under both!

I have 2 articles same title aswell so it’s not isolation fever getting to you 😂😂

Morning all,

Jobo/Craig76,

Yes I can see double. Could someone not delete one in order that we can all comment on the same article ? 👍

No Jobo only one here!

Hot Smoked

Two for me as well, Jobo !

Two for me too, Craig! 😁

Henrikschip

I’m seeing double also but I must admit I much prefer the first article. Succinct and to the point, the second is more laboured.

Garry Postecoglou

Happy Holiday mate.
Thanks again for Sunday’s tickets for my grandson and I. We are both very excited. 👍🍀💚

Henrikschip

Big picture – sack the board. Micro level, we are finally getting some signings through the door who will hopefully make a big difference to our solidity as a team and translate defeats into victories, hopefully.We need more in, especially at fullback and up front. I like Fan’s idea of Welsh in the midfield but somehow I can’t see it happening. Ange will not drop his captain.

Garry Postecoglou

Henrikschip
Two full backs still needed.
Neither Ralston nor Taylor will ever be good enough for Celtic.
It is the weakest area in the team.

Garry Postecoglu…my pleasure mate, believe me! It’s always good to know the ‘spares’ are appreciated. Oh aye…and cheers for the beers – unnecessary but certainly will be appreciated tonight!. 🍻🍻🍻

Garry Postecoglou

Good man.
Enjoy your McCaffiosi beers.🍺💚

Bloody hell,I put an article up before I hit my bed,forgetting that I’d already scheduled one as well!

Keep postong on this one,I’ll find a way to transfer the other page’s comments over.

From “other ” article.

Harry Videcci
***
Tell Ralph from ETims …

He thinks we should back the board!

August 4, 2021 5:50 am
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
****
2 prem class players signed days before a planned protest? Did someone – inside the parkhead bunker -hear about the planned protest?

Yer not fooling me, Dessie!

August 4, 2021 7:08 am
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sol Kitts
***
BAD
Someone at the club needs to let Hart and McCarthy know that the SPL isn’t a place to wind down towards retirement. Don’t want another Duffy. They need to be prepared for the fight.

August 4, 2021 7:16 am
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Maestro Fan
***
100%

August 4, 2021 8:41 am
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Maestro Fan
***
BAD

I drew the same conclusion – a pre-emptive of the protest. Maybe the people will realise they have some power after all.

Our reputation goes before us. In response to the Hart sale one Spurs fan posted on their blog it was a master stroke for their club to turn a £1M profit on a guy by getting money out of ‘the only club in world football tighter than Spurs’.

More evidence of the self-defeating nature of the Board’s parsimony – Spurs were able to hold a hardline precisely because we’ve created such a weak negotiating position for ourselves.

As Bobby says, the ‘smartest man in the room’ has taken us back 30 years to the weakest team since I was in my teens. It’s the reason why his few remaining fans want to draw the curtains down on the Lawwell verdict at the point of his departure (he won us 9-in-a-row, quad treble don’t you know?), rather than reserve judgement until the full implications of his reign can be discerned.

Of course those successes were all in spite of Lawwell, not because of him. Completely toxic to our football interests.

August 4, 2021 8:50 am
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 4, 2021 9:34 am
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
***
Succinct Craig… would you care to expand? 🤣🤣🤣

August 4, 2021 9:56 am
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
****
For you Craig…😉

August 4, 2021 9:58 am
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
***
Good morning, friends.
Oh and I’m posting this under both!

August 4, 2021 10:00 am
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
***
No Jobo, only one here!

August 4, 2021 10:00 am
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*****
There is 2 threads going with the same leader but different comments. You must not be 1 of the chosen few who can see both 🤣🤣

August 4, 2021 10:23 am
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
******
Just this one and the other one for me too! 🤔😁

August 4, 2021 10:33 am
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chairbhoy
***
BMCUWPs…

Charlatans indeed.

The Board’s weaknesses far exceeded their strengths.

Ably illustrated by Big Pedro at its head, who I’ve described as indolent… in many ways a characteristic of the superstar Executive that was such a icon of the start of the 21st century.

Of course PL had none of the superstar qualities outside his own head and his clique, he was no Steve Jobs, whose genius and presence could change a business.

No, he came to Celtic with no track record outside the realms of finance, he joined as Head of Operations – not his bag at all.

Yet by wearing a number of hats and taking expedient decisions he seems to have woe’d our major shareholder.

It’s an odd one, despite DD having to intervene on occasions, as PL was out of his depth, he stuck by his man.

For instance, Tony Mowbray was a wrong choice at the time for Celtic, it was compounded by replacing him with Lenny when he got the role full time. Then Ronny was brought in, initially to help Lenny with the technical aspects of coaching, then when Lenny walked as head coach.

Expedience personified, it left us in a mess and DD had to intervene to get Brendan Rodgers.

Yet when the cards were on the table and DD had to decide PL or BR, the major shareholder took the disastrous decision of backing Big Pedro.

And now we are where we are in a total mess.

I used the term holistic some seasons ago when discussing the malaise in the Celtic organisation. Most didn’t accept that, the truth is apparent to all who would look now.

Yet although we don’t know the ins and outs of each department, it seems obvious from languishing projects to under performing departments to the football club meltdown that Big Pedro miss-managed the Celtic PLC on an epic scale.

The rebuild looks like a multiseason project and we have no guarantees it is going to be effective, I can see changes in personnel yet to come.

Pedant Alert

It took many days for Rome to burn down.

Q: How many Roman quarters were effected?

August 4, 2021 10:35 am
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
****

I texted my son to tell him that we had been unsuccessful in the ballot for Sunday.
His reply was , thank fuck. !!

CFC

Morning
By any reckoning we are at least 5 players away from where we need to be.
First choice Right and left backs , ( replacing Kenny and Laxalt), CH ( replacing Duffy) Midfield leader replacing Broony( need another as well as McCarthy) and LW ( Moi)

4 weeks til end of window so expect not very much for 3 and a half weeks. Last ditch loans perhaps.

To say nothing of upgrading any one of our misfiring or firing blanks current strikers.

Garry Postecoglou

CFC
Kyogo is a left winger.
Terms have been agreed with Antwerp for Portuguese right back Buta.
Aaron Hickey a good Knightswood bhoy and former Saint Thomas Aquinas pupil is in talks with Celtic. Team taking shape 👍🍀💚

There’s nothing quite like having a quiet beer and 2 typhoon jets decide to feck about 🤬🤬

The Real McCoy

OMG 😱
The re-writing of history has reached a new low.
No words from me at the moment.
Warning:
The following article contains offensive language.

🤮🤢🤮

CFC

Garry
I equate Kyogo as a replacement for Klimala. – fourth striker ( in number not quality)

Be very happy if those two fb’s arrive.
Still light in Mid ( physicality) and Defence ( dominant in air) though.
And only having an injury prone MJ available is a weakness.

CFC

That Fraser opinion piece is fan boy triumphalism.
Can be destroyed line by line.

Somewhat economic with the actualité.

The Real McCoy,

Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is definitely the worst piece of shite that I have ever come across in a newspaper.

Words fail me. !!!!!!!

Total gutter level journalism.

StunnedinabadwayCSC🍀🍀

ASWGL

Just back from the Doctors I had double vision this morning he told me to keep aff sentinel celts until BMCUW had sobered up.

Frodshambhoy

The Real McCoy
OMG 😱
The re-writing of history has reached a new low.

———————————————————————-
I gave up at the beginning:

“The liquidation of the holding company, and the team’s consequent descent into lower leagues,”

If anyone can tell me what registered limited company the “holding company” held I might read the rest.

The Murdo Fraser piece lasted two paragraphs for me, was like a copy and paste job from Ibrox Noise😵

Thanks Bobby,

Clearly not double vision.

A wee song for the occasion.

ClarenceCSC🍀🍀

bada bing1

The Celtic B Team return to their new home at Airdrie’s Penny Cars Stadium on Wednesday night (Aug 4), where they welcome Berwick Rangers in their third Scottish Lowland League fixture of the new season.

A dominant Celtic side secured an impressive 5-1 victory over University of Stirling last week (Wed 28), and the Bhoys will be looking to build on this winning momentum when they face Berwick Rangers this week.

It’s a 7:45pm kick-off on Wednesday, Aug 4 and tickets are on sale now, priced £8 for adults and just £4 for under 16s.

You can secure your tickets HERE now, to show your support for our stars of the future!

ASWGL

Dunno how that happened. I put the part-completed article into drafts to finish off later,and must have put it into schedule after that.

Twat!

THEREALMCCOY

That Fraser article must be a parody,shoooorly?

Paddy’s Maw

Re the Scotsman article. That was not news that was blatant cheerleading and not necessarily accurate either. Why is the Scotsman allowing opinion to masquerade as news?

Police Scotland as far as I am aware have never said the FTP video was fake – only that there was no criminality! I am ever hopeful that Jeanette finlay is on the case on this one.

This nonsense is trying to split us into separate camps – Please can all the Rangers fans vote Tory as the SNP is not your friend.

I detest the SNP and most of their policies – their record in government is shit. Their policies are based on what can we give people to make them vote for us!

Poor people always got free prescriptions and free education. Drug users don’t vote – so don’t spend any money there! This is the basis of SNP policy development. Curriculum for Excellence has done nothing but turn our children into nationalists and we have let it happen on our watch !

Sorry. Rant over – back to work

Perhaps I have been burned too often, but I believe that the two signings from yesterday are somewhere between expensive long term mistakes and desperate gambles. What they do show is that the scouting system is badly flawed if this is what they come up with.

Believing that Hart will suddenly come good at Celtic, after failing at several clubs, is just naive. McCarthy is injury prone. One industrial tackle and he will be gone for months. Younger signings from the Scandinavian or Eastern European markets were better options, but that requires scouts who can spot a player.

Hope I am wrong but if I am not, these two will be a serious drain on the wage bill, and they will see out their contracts. Who is making these decisions?

Rebus

bada bing1

Not paid much attention to the Olympics, watched 200 metres semi final yesterday, 17 year old American boy Knighton,looked like a young Usain Bolt, easing down he coasted it,final is at 1.55.

bada bing1

Didn’t trap…

A thing of beauty

Clearly paddys maw missed the memo about trying to keep politics off the blog. 😂😂
I shall remind her tonight and hope she’ll still cook my dinner.

ATHINGOFBEAUTY

Since it was in response to a link,I’ll let her off. I’m not as brave as you!

Paddy’s Maw

Sorry. Not been on the blog recently and wasn’t aware of the new rules on politics not being allowed.

My report card will say must do better….

PADDYSMAW

Not a hard and fast rule,we just prefer to keep politics to a minimum. Too divisive,and nobody ever has their mind changed!

Hi, thanks for the kind words about my MY EXPERIENCES OF FREEMASONRY AS A BUSINESSMAN blog on which the “Further Detail” hyperlink was dud. This is fixed now so it can be accessed there or on “Further Detail” here: https://www.tomminogue.com/tom/?p=7242
H.H.

Hot Smoked

Years ago, I was told that Celtic had not had a player for over one hundred years whose first name was Edward. Now, I have seen a wiki link to Edward Henrik Larsson.
Is this just Wiki playing games?

SFTB

I see the official Celtic site has a message of tribute up to Macjay formerly of CQN

Hot Smoked,

What about Edward ( Eddie) Munster ?

Aka, Brian McLaughlin ? 😜😜

I see that McCarthy has been left in Glasgow to train
Hopefully he’s got Bitton for company

ASWGL

Guys anyone heard from big packy recently, haven’t seen him on, so I emailed him a few days ago and got no reply.

I’ll read back later i’m on hospital visit tonight, thanks for any replies.