Week of the Underdog

The midweek games provided more than a couple tales of the unexpected, something always to be happy about.
It’s always nice to be reminded football is not played on paper and occasionally the fancied team dont walk away with all three points, no matter how many wish otherwise.

Of the three main contenders for shock result of the night, I just can’t look past the ten men Staggies victory. A mere two points above Dundee earlier in the day they somehow pulled out three goals to collect a huge three points and some breathing space.

I admit it was a good time to play the ‘Well as they had sold their talisman and the leagues top scorer the day before, but still there’s no way I would have placed money on that result. Their manager hadn’t been getting a tune, had faced some supporter backlash over his well publicized history, and I got the impression he was using that club to get on the merry-go-round again not necessarily viewing the place as his next project.
Ideally they shall now carry some positivity into the weekend’s Cup clash against the horrible Livingston and dispatch our bogey team just in case.
Well done Ross County.

Coming in a close second is St. Mirren for another fantastic shock result. With only 36% possession and a pretty poor accuracy of 60% (Uniteds was 79 for example) they even managed to shut out the league’s top scorer who appeared off the bench. Being away from home, unable to name nine subs showing how bare bones they are, playing three at the back including Garry’s (RIP) nephew, they deserve some respect for going after the victory and not simply trying to halt the opponent by any means necessary.

The stats show they didn’t turn it into a scrap with the Tangerines receiving more yellows and giving away much more fouls in their failed attempt to wrestle control.
Big Charlie Mulgrew was up against a player a decade younger who scores every three games on average, perhaps it’s no surprise he ended up on the losing side with a yellow card for his troubles.
If Tam Courts suffers any more similar results he might get replaced by the former Celtic left back only four years his younger but with much more experience in the locker.
Well done the Saints.

Last but not least was the Pittodrie result.
Of course I’m delighted their huge six weeks has started with a hiccup, but I’m not sure a draw qualifies as a huge shock considering both teams also tied last time they faced each other.
I believe the Don’s were actual underdogs with the bookmakers to help them qualify for this article.

Having endured a long coach journey not ideal for athletes muscles, then facing just about above freezing temperatures and the wind-up merchant that is Scott Brown, it can’t be an easy ground to visit but coming away from there with all the spoils is almost necessary in order to become Champions.
It’s a stiff test, and Pittodrie may yet play an important part in helping decide the title’s ultimate destination.

Kent’s two game absence for seeing red shall be served against Livingston and St.Mirren, not necessarily costing any points. However it does mean a two week lay off before taking to the field against strong title rivals. Is that good or bad? No idea but I do recall he wasn’t very effective in the earlier derby clash so I doubt Ange will be losing sleep just because he’s ‘fresh’.

If there’s any sleep to be lost, it’s probably denied penalty calls causing it.
The non decision literally changed the game, not for the first time as we all know.
I believed it was a clear penalty and red card, that ‘keeper has a habit of pushing the limits and not facing justice so I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised no red card was produced.
The later handball incident which was correctly awarded as a spot kick couldn’t be denied, it was simply so very blatant, but it helps take Willie Collum out of the spotlight and helps deflect ‘allegations’ of bias, as does the red card he produced.

We know there’s extra eyes on the refs now because of the suspicious gambling patterns, and all Tims are watching them, we had Bankier saying the club had wrote to Hampden regards them (I’m calling bullshit on that),,they can’t go Tonto out there on the park.
They can however slip in one single decision per game.

The most recent “poor” call was somewhat negated, but then again if the title comes down to a single point then yesterday’s decision and others helped select the league titles destination.
A different ref every week with a poor decision, spreading them around to muddy the waters, and over the course of the season they’ve tinkered or nudged the trophy towards their beloved Ibrox 38 times.
With impunity, slowly cheating in plain sight.

Call me paranoid but having failed to win the points last night in their first high profile game, it places even more onus on the whistler to ensure the next high profile game isn’t a bust, for that could and would signify a slide and momentum shifts.
And we happen to be the next high profile opponents.
The stakes have been raised.

By Mahe

craig76
January 20, 2022 6:29 am
January 20, 2022 7:32 am

Mark Colhoun
Yes Mick. We had a good day out in Bristol about 8 years ago. I was on CQN earlier looking for you and they sent me here. Are you still in Swindon man?

January 20, 2022 12:55 am
~~~~~~~~~~~

Ah,RIEPERMAN !!!

Good to hear from you,young fella. Aye,that dayoooot in The Foresters was a blast. Although I went to the wrong The Foresters at first-who knew there was two of them on Gloucester Road!!!

Are you back in the area,or still over in Ireland?

PS-contact me on bmcuwp@gmail,if you like. Be good to catch up.

January 20, 2022 7:46 am

Btw,there’s a reason why my articles are late,and hopefully will be for some time. The same reason that I’m not on here as often as normal.

New job,12-hr nights,delivery route takes me around 350 miles-and most of it makes the Scottish Highlands look like a billiard table. With bends in the road that led to the development of the hairpin!

Got a lift in for this week,but in future an extra 50 minutes each way on buses. So why am I telling you this?

Sell yer brewery shares!!!

Chairbhoy
January 20, 2022 7:49 am

BMCUWPS…

Best of Luck with the new job….

January 20, 2022 7:59 am

MAHE

Excellent summation of midweek events. There were a few coupon busters just in those six games!

Great to see GARRY’s nephew getting the recognition his game has long deserved. I was at Marcus’ debut against Rennes,seems a long time ago now,but I didn’t think he really got a chance with us. Ross County offered him a way back,he grabbed it with both hands. GARRY’s other footballing nephew,Chris,has a major claim to fame too-he got me kicked out of Wetherspoon’s in Cheltenham because he couldn’t prove his age. Despite his profile page with Dundee Utd. And he’d only ordered f…..g J2O!!!

Btw,I gather that Liam Gallagher plans a big announcement today. Will it be an Oasis reunion or a teaming up with Richard Ashcroft? If the latter,GARRY will be watching on pay per view. Which is only fair,as he didn’t pay at the gate. Those pearlies welcomed our pal,and he just swaggered past for the welcoming party.

R I P,indeed.

Craig76
January 20, 2022 8:02 am

Congrats on the new job Bobby 👏🚚

January 20, 2022 8:02 am

CHAIRBHOY

Thanks,mate. Very good of you. Suits me to the ground,but the usual employment rules around here. Temp to perm initially,one year probation. Two years in paractice as employment protection-unfair dismissal-doesn’t kick in until you have been there for two years.

So January 2024,I’ll let you know how I’m getting on! Of course,it will be pretty obvious,just from the frequency of my posts on here…

January 20, 2022 8:03 am

Above also to CRAIG76. The irony is that I can hopefully now afford my lifestyle,but cannot afford the time to do so!

Craig76
January 20, 2022 8:13 am

Anyone know the outcome of BRRB’s and Leggy’s session yesterday, do we have a winner or are they still drinking 😀

January 20, 2022 8:18 am

I know the preference here-indeed,the personal request of MAHE and I-is to avoid politics. Too divisive,nobody changes their opinions via a football blog,but these three paragraphs from John Crace in The Grauniad are priceless. The first sets up the other two,and the third provides the punchline. Or the stiletto…

~~~~~~~
“This was Starmer at his most relaxed. He wasn’t that bothered if Johnson went that day or in a week or month’s time. The exit was now priced in, so he would make the most of it and just have some fun with the prime minister along the way. He ran through Big Dog’s catalogue of excuses.

First there had been no parties. Then he had been sickened and furious that others in Number 10 had had parties. Then he had been at some of the parties. Then he hadn’t realised the party he had been at had actually been a party. And in any case he had spent the 25 minutes at the party in a totally dissociated state, so he hadn’t noticed there were tables laden with food and booze and people getting pissed.

Then when he had come to his senses and realised he was at a party, he had no idea such gatherings were illegal as no one had bothered to tell him what the rules were. Even though he had made them up and had spent an hour a day at press conferences telling the country what the rules were. The five stages of coming to grief.”

January 20, 2022 8:25 am

CRAIG76

What happens in Vegas,etc. If the session was any good-as it will assuredly have been-there are no winners,only proud participants. I’d planned one for the Thursday after Christmas but the new restrictions put paid to that. Bummer…

January 20, 2022 9:03 am

Morning all,

Craig76,

We both had a cracking day and visited a couple of establishments I had never been in before. The Imperial and The Hootenanny. Both fine boozers !!!!!

There were no winners, just fine participants.

You and anyone else, all invited to next one in March sometime.

HH. 🍀🍀🍀

Ps
Good luck in your new job Bobby 👍👍

Chairbhoy
January 20, 2022 9:19 am

BMCUWPS @ 8:02 am,

Yes employment rules are insane.

When you think what people like your Dad and my Papa went through to help the working class and their employment rights.

I’m in Health Care now and my big sister is Human Resources for a huge independent provider (yes, her Papa will be…)

Anyway I don’t bother, I take a job on the basis I don’t have any rights and it can all end tomorrow (years of freelance Technology work helps that mindset).

Anyways on occasion something happens to a colleague and I ask her can they really do that!? And she gives me the spiel.

The latest one, was anti-vaxxers losing their job. She told me what you’re saying – it still shocks me.

Still one day at a time pal…

January 20, 2022 9:40 am

TBH I don’t think the ref had a good angle of the sheep’s penalty claim, the linesman however did😕.

Anyway a red card and penalty against the Hun in one game is not a sight often seen. Well unless the officials are not Scottish😱

January 20, 2022 10:40 am

As I was walking down Copland rd,
I met a couple of strangers,
and they said to me would you like to see,
the famous Glasgow Rangers?

So I took a walk to Ibrox park,
To see the Glasgow Rangers,
But the boys in blue ….erm, died!

The End 🍀

CaltonTongues
January 20, 2022 11:06 am

Prestonpans bhoys,

Aberdeen Manager said Ref said there was no contact and Assistant said not enough contact for a penalty WTF.

Now, after deliberately listening to Radio Clyde last night, everyone (inc. hun callers) agreed that it was a penalty but, not one person mentioned the consequences – Red Card, Penalty, Huns possibly one down and having to play with 10 men for 70 minutes instead of the 7 mins after Kent’s dismissal.

Can you imagine the forensic examination(s) if that was us?

It was pure unadulterated cheating and, as MAHE mentioned, what if they win the League by one point?

They’ve already escaped on field punishments this season which has them ahead. If the games had been reffed correctly they would be fighting with the Mini’s for 2nd place.

Friesdorfer
January 20, 2022 12:18 pm

Great news re the new job Bobby. Very pleased for you. 👍👍

January 20, 2022 12:48 pm

BOBBY, got your text message ,and to think i was sticking up for that guy by telling him to stop abusing you and mahe and just talk about celtic, dont worry he will be back with a new moniker, but ill be ready next time, BTW good luck in your new job👍 im taking a few days off to get some more stories, all true of course 😎 danny mac23 from last night ,cheers buddy👍

Son Of Gabriel
January 20, 2022 12:49 pm

Recommended light reading for Athletic subscibers

Kieran Devlin hits the nail on the head with this piece.

Can copy & paste full article if preferred.

January 20, 2022 1:02 pm

Liverpool caught re fake Covid results…..

Bigrailroadblues
January 20, 2022 1:21 pm

Good afternoon all from Shawlands. And to my fellow boozebag Leggy. Still laughing about the dosshouse in Majorca. 😂😂

jimthetim53
January 20, 2022 1:23 pm

Packy, good to see you still here buddy! 🙂

Bobby, good luck in the new job. 🙂

jimthetim53
January 20, 2022 1:32 pm

I see ‘Rangers’ fan Tommy Robinson is being pursued by creditors for an estimated £2 million!
Money problems for someone with an Ibrox connection. Who’d have believed it! 🙂

Craig76
January 20, 2022 1:55 pm

JTT53
What do you think Angel or Devil ?

Dawn 💚 Of the Tribes ⭐ (@Dawn_Galway) Tweeted: The starlings of #Galway seemed to create very special illustration for us this evening 💙🕯

Photo: Marie Hession (Instagram) https://t.co/uKwhpfbCCK https://twitter.com/Dawn_Galway/status/1483560256919724037?s=20

jimthetim53
January 20, 2022 1:59 pm

Craig they’re God’s creatures so I’m going to opt for Angel! 🙂

The poster ‘Son of Gabriel’ might know? 🙂

timhorton
January 20, 2022 2:06 pm

BOBBY
All the best with your new job.

Craig76
January 20, 2022 2:20 pm

JTT53
Had a hunch you’d say Angel 😇

January 20, 2022 2:39 pm

CaltonTongues
Prestonpans bhoys,

Really, well I stand corrected, makes matters worse with that confession😱😵

January 20, 2022 2:49 pm

Another signing about done!?
Holy guacamole we are a different kettle of fish these days.
Peter is being terribly shown up, and he’s still in the building!

Congrats Bobby, king of the road.

MAGUA
January 20, 2022 3:02 pm

Good leader. With Collum reffing our game on Monday, the bringing in of Bobby Madden to ref the Derby, looks more suspicious by the day. Three days before the end of the 1985-86 season, the SFA took an unprecedented step and named a new ref for a certain Dundee v Hearts game on the last day of the season. Hearts you will recall, only required a point to win the league. The ref? Hearts supporter Bill Crombie. Unfortunately for the SFA, and Huns everywhere for that matter, Mr Crombie proved to be an honourable man. The game finished 2-0 to Dundee, both goals scored by instant Celtic legend, Albert Kidd. Hearts fans to this day, still tend to get a wee bit upset at the mention of this game. Can’t think why.

Best wishes to you, in your new job.

The Imperial is a cracking wee pub, is it not? Proper pints and prober grub. Glad you and BRB had a fine day out.

Hail Hail.

January 20, 2022 3:09 pm

Thanks Magua.
Enjoy your day everyone.

January 20, 2022 3:55 pm

THE LIONS ROAR, mick / bobby is in bed having worked a 12 hour shift, now ive defended you on here as well you know, but your continual sly digs at me and your horrible insults regarding bobby and mahe are beyond the pail, what the fuck has bobby or mahe done to you, for you to inject so much venom in your posts,

January 20, 2022 3:57 pm

Imagine wanting to see someone else’s texts,,,,

Son Of Gabriel
January 20, 2022 3:59 pm

The Lions Roar

That’s interesting, thanks for the insight. Have never heard of the aquarian conspiracy but I’ll definitely look into it.

In Ramm Dass’ case he was recommended reading and the biography part of Be Here Now was enjoyable from my end. When reading is recommended i find it better to research the author only after reading; helps me prevent bias prior to reading.

Son of Gabriel; yes
Opposed to contrarian points of view; certainly not.

January 20, 2022 4:00 pm

THE LIONS ROAR for gods sake leave it alone, you are a tim like the rest of us, i say again what has bobby or mahe done to offend you, lets get it out in the open

January 20, 2022 4:03 pm

THE LIONS ROAR, incorrect, bobby did not say the text was from you, and that is definately a true story👍

Son Of Gabriel
January 20, 2022 4:13 pm

The Lions Roar

I’d have recommended a free trials 😉

As for what is behind the empty churches; I’ll keep my views to myself in this instance.

January 20, 2022 4:15 pm

Good afternoon, friends.
big packy / The Lions Roar – wouldn’t it benefit the rest of us (mainly) lurkers if you took your discussion to another platform? If you both want to email me on jobobaldie@yahoo.co uk I’d be happy to provide each of you with the other’s email address and you could continue your conversation that way?
The subject matter is, of course none of my business but just trying to get the ‘he said, you said’ stuff off the blog 😉

January 20, 2022 4:18 pm

THE LIONS ROAR, from one celtic supporter to another, no you are barking up the wrong tree, mick/bobby, did not bad mouth you,.why cant you stop this silly slagging each other off, life is too short mate i know from experience, please try some reconciliation👍

January 20, 2022 4:24 pm

Oh well, that’s me telt! Or more precisely that’s me reminded, given that I did acknowledge that anyway!

January 20, 2022 4:29 pm

THE LIONS ROAR im not going to divulge what was said in a private text message as ive said it was not in any way detrimental to you, now lets get back to the point, as ive said to you now umpteen times, stop bad mouthing bobby and mahe and talk celtic PLEASE

DannyMac23
January 20, 2022 4:32 pm

Congratulations on the new job.I would think it will be difficult in the circumstances to post your articles considering your time constraints but hopefully you can still do so.I do appreciate the time effort and consideration that you and Mahe have taken to contribute to a cause that is close to all our hearts which is to put our heart felt feelings out there or just have a rant that gets things off our chest or just talk guff about Celtic.Kudos to the guest guys too who put in the work and study to produce heart warming or thought provoking articles that give you guys a break.

We all come from different backgrounds,different attitudes and different spectrums for the lack of a better word but we all come together for our football team.Please dont forget you guys allow us access to that platform to express our opinions and I hope you continue to do so if time allows.

Frodshambhoy
January 20, 2022 4:33 pm

BRRB and Leggy, Hootenanny pub Glasgow https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/hVG2RObAaWt5

On a lighter note. Leggy I’d like to say you don’t look any older than when you were strutting your stuff on football pitches in EK and beyond.
I’d like to say ………………..
You know the rest 😁

January 20, 2022 4:34 pm

wait a fucking minute, im getting pissed off now, did you come on here as bored to death, and insult me and solkitts, yes or no, the fucking gloves are off

Bigrailroadblues
January 20, 2022 4:39 pm

Dearie me.

January 20, 2022 4:48 pm

THE LIONS ROAR, apologies thought you were the poster, bored to death 👍

January 20, 2022 4:54 pm

THE LIONS ROAR, so no harm done, the text was about the poster, bored to death👍 i say again TLR why cant you reconcile with bobby and mahe, and talk celtic, ill live in hope, another true story,👍

January 20, 2022 5:04 pm

Matt O’Riley is a deceptive 6’2″ .

🍀🍀