The Trident

Given most teams play with five midfielders and a single striker, switching to an attacking front three was always going to be exciting.
Last August, three new players were found to implement this new style, and the result was stunning.

Jota on the right,
Abada on the left,
Kyogo through the middle, the tip of the spear.
We ripped teams to shreds with pace and movement alongside all three hitting the box at the same time.
It was so refreshing after watching a lackadaisical Odsonne threaten to burst a gut for once.

That’s it, I recall thinking. That’s our players and system found, now to find similar backups so we as a team don’t need to change our style of play simply because we are without one of the three.

Wrong. We haven’t gone for like for like.
With one injured and one deemed off the boil, the gaffer stuck with his vision, but assembled a new look trident with different qualities.

The mobile and technically skillful Kyogo was switched out for a penalty box type striker, the usual left winger shunted right with a nippy mobile striker given that wing, alongside orders to work hard and attack quickly.
Boom! Once again the Trident is ripping teams apart.

Incredibly, this current version which I envisaged as the backup trio, are notching up more goals per game than the original Trident.
This new version is actually working better than the original.
And now we have reached the business end of the season, the new trio have a fantastic opportunity to deliver glory and silverware, which would surely cement them as the first choice in that position.
Now that’s something I couldn’t see coming, but it’s on the cards make no mistake.

Is G-Mak a better striker than Kyogo? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, but if strikers are getting judged on their return then the answer is yes. The big Greek seems the type of player who needs to play weekly, rather than be a super sub.
Now he is a starter he says thanks Ange with back to back home hat tricks.
Some return for a man who many questioned.
It was always going to take something special to take and then keep the mercurial Furuhashi’s tip of the Trident spot, but five goals in two is very special.

We hear our Japanese hero is close to returning, he resumed training last week, but I’m very glad we don’t need to rush him and can truly select the perfect opportunity for his return. A few games on the sidelines while ready and willing might increase his hunger, and it might force G-Mak to continue his fine form.
He might become a great impact sub for the run-in, words I never thought I would type given his quality.

Our leader has found an improved attack just at the right time, and our Greek striker has found himself in danger of becoming a bit of a Celtic hero.
Just when the pressure is on we aren’t imploding, we’re improving.
That in itself is very impressive, just like our new look Trident.

By Mahe
sentinelcelts@gmail.com

Friesdorfer
March 21, 2022 6:50 am

Good Morning all. Indeed, Mahe, a happy conundrum for oor Ange. Whit a dilemma tae huv tae ponder on a Monday morning. Onwards and upwards.

Saltires en Sevilla
March 21, 2022 7:16 am

Mahe –

Trident attack … 2 formats …. never thought I’d like any reference to Trident but your analogy works very well☮️

Saltires en Sevilla
March 21, 2022 7:17 am

Chairbhoy – Aye – can imagine that buddy – and cheers 🌞

March 21, 2022 8:44 am

Morning all,

Mahe, spot on with your analysis.

With plenty options available, this hopefully will keep everyone on their toes, and maintain the high standards we are seeing.

I don’t like it, I LOVE it. 💚💚

Enjoy your day everyone and Hail Hail 🍀🍀🍀

March 21, 2022 9:01 am

Good morning, friends. Good article Mahe. Incredible turnaround since we visited St Mirren in December.

The Gombeen Man
March 21, 2022 9:13 am

Thanks Mahe for the article. Things are looking good. A quiet treatment room often infers a healthy and contented mindset in the squad.

Ger57/Corkcelt,

Thanks for the replies on Saturday.

I saw an email from a woman living in Ukraine, the most striking part wasn’t any talk about the violence. She mentioned that the War had removed the illusion she had been living in.

By that I guess she meant the day to day stuff like bills, her job, the car, money and all of the routine stuff that so consumes us.

I can relate to that kind of illusion too.

Blogs and Celtic on one hand are a healthy distraction but they can easily take on too big a role. It’s only when something really important happens that we see the superficiality of it.

In my time I’m not really sure if there’s ever been internal peace at Celtic. The Old Board? How Jock left? Billy leaving? Fergus? Tommy leaving? Even MON’s time seems to be a cause of division for some. Brendan Rodgers?

The whole Sevco thing took all that to another level.

It’s just the nature of how we’re wired and how we rarely seem to ask ourselves radical questions.

Most of our lives seem to be spent in the captivity of our programmed perceptions of the world – until a moment comes when those illusions briefly fall away.

Life provides those moments.

I don’t think any debate on a blog, or Twitter link, or snappy quote from a philosopher can compete with those moments that life provides.

We just don’t seem to be able to see or listen until life makes us an offer we can’t refuse.

Thanks for the replies.

I’m not 100% sure but I think the League finishes on May 22nd? Hopefully a Cup Final and all this drama will start again very shortly afterwards…

The Gombeen Man
March 21, 2022 9:22 am

McCaff,

Thanks for your cracking post on Saturday morning.

You were blessed to share that time when your daughter on Friday and very perceptive to see it.

Enjoy the relative freedom while your children are finding their feet. In no time there’ll be grandchildren needing picked up from nursery or school.

You’ll be more in demand as time passes not the contrary.

I think the idea of kids becoming independent as they get older is another one of those illusions?

All that changed for me, is that I appreciate things a bit more.

Have a great week…

BOBBY MURDOCH'S CURLED-UP WINKLEPICKERSround fr
March 21, 2022 10:50 am

MAHE

Very good summation of where we find ourselves,and the very nice indeed,thank you,dilemma faced by Ange. As the media no-users try their best to portray as a problem for him this abundance of riches in his squad,AP will be quietly chuckling as he explains to his players how he is going to best use them in the remaining games.

Ange doesn’t face a selection problem,as has been suggested by some in an attempt to stir the pot. He has the exact opposite of that! And he has the pleasure of being in his own comfort zone,the knowledge that he has various options available to him.

Those hacks can only wish that the manager of their favoured side had problems like that.

A thing of beauty
March 21, 2022 11:55 am

Thanks for the article Mahe. Ange is in a good position but we don’t have any update on Rogic and we also have several players away on international duty in the next fortnight. Hopefully big tam will be fine but I’m worried about the travelling for him and the Japanese bhoys before we play the ibrox mob. I’ll have everything crossed we have everyone fit and the result will take care of itself.
Chairbhoy,
Condolences on the loss of your uncle Frank. He was a familiar face in the dug out when I began watching Celtic.

Craig76
March 21, 2022 12:12 pm

Maeda withdraws from Japan national squad

Dan Orlowitz (@aishiterutokyo) Tweeted: JUST IN: The JFA announces that Daizen Maeda has withdrawn from the Japan squad for fitness/condition reasons. No replacement planned. https://twitter.com/aishiterutokyo/status/1505725696185815040?s=20&t=icYYy4LkDbzz2y822oSpMw

March 21, 2022 12:29 pm

Would be ideal, if Ange could find a formation to play both of them

BOBBY MURDOCH'S CURLED-UP WINKLEPICKERSround fr
March 21, 2022 12:33 pm

BADABING

I think we have to include Maeda in those calculations. He is a defender’s nightmare,and justifies his inclusion. I look at it as a two from three,or four from six if we include Jamesie,Jota and Abada.

And I’m pretty sure the latter has outscored everyone else so far.

Bawheid
March 21, 2022 12:52 pm

Kyogo – Maeda – G-Mak. The decision will be made based on current match Fitness, current Form and Tactics – Horses for courses. I doubt Anges choices will have anything to do with which striker is the best one. So, G-Mak to start and to rough up Sevco Scotland’s defenders then Kyogo to come on and finish them off. Of course he could go 3 – 5 – 2 and play both G-Mak and Kyogo up front, a pointer back to Sutton and Larsson, with Maeda on the wing. At least he does have choices and that will keep them guessing.

March 21, 2022 12:52 pm

Charlie Mulgrew on Open Goal……CAUTION- swerry words

March 21, 2022 12:59 pm

BMCUW- Maeda has been a great addition, an absolute nuisance for opponents, doesn’t give them a second, I’m sure he withdrew from Japan squad to have a rest,him and Hetate have played for too much football in last 2 years

Bigrailroadblues
March 21, 2022 1:23 pm

Good afternoon all from Shawlands. How are ye, ya bunch of rascals?

March 21, 2022 1:34 pm

I actually don’t want KF and G-Mak played together. Maeda does a better job on the left than Kyogo did and when the Greek is playing he must be the tip of our attack, ie the main one in the penalty box. Two in the box might hurt the system.
G-Mak for teams that sit deep, Furuhashi for others would be my formula.

If we win the league our shape shall be responsible for a large part. Scotland can’t handle a front three.

Happy day of the moon y’all .

March 21, 2022 1:34 pm

BRRB,
Donate that liver to science;)

Bigrailroadblues
March 21, 2022 1:38 pm

Mahe 😂. I tried old chap but was told that science hadn’t advanced enough to remove the alcohol. 🤣

March 21, 2022 1:41 pm

I thought Saturday was Maedas best performance since signing.
Only beat for mom by GG

A thing of beauty
March 21, 2022 2:42 pm

St Tams,
GG was a worthy recipient but Maeda did play well. He is a Duracell bunny as CCB says and I think he would curtail tavpen better than any other player we have. In saying that we destroyed them at Celtic park with a team that has maybe only played together another once. The combinations and pressing down right and left with Abada, O’Riley and juranovic then Taylor, Hatate and Jota were crucial to our win. I’ll admit the Huns did not help themselves that day and they didn’t seem to understand the plan van bronckhurst had set out for them. I can’t see that happening this time. They’ll play as if they are up against a European opponent and invite us on, looking for the quick ball up to Morelos and play from there. Remember he did not play the last game either. Roofe is the better striker in my opinion but Morelos is where they build from. The European defenders have said they just bounced off him. I don’t watch their games much but I can’t see CCV bouncing off him. Starfelt has played well the last few games albeit without much opposition. This will be the acid test for him. I expect Morelos will pull onto him as much as possible. Anyway the game is miles away, I need to forget about this title race for a week at least and relax. It’s honestly nerve shredding.

March 21, 2022 3:06 pm

Rogic out of Australia squad

March 21, 2022 3:21 pm

AFTERNOON ALL and JIM mahe great post as usual loved the trident bit could GMAK be the next wullie wallace stevie chalmers joe mcbride or henrik larsson time will tell 👍

March 21, 2022 3:24 pm

JIM that must have been some stag party SOLKITTS went to he hasnt been on for days🤩

March 21, 2022 3:31 pm

JIM went to a place in wales today called portmeirion wee joans mate lives not far from there, she gets us large 20kg bags of dog food for us at half price ,so we arranged to meet there, cyber pint if you know what portmeirion is famous for,

jimthetim53
March 21, 2022 3:52 pm

Hiya Packy, I’ve heard of Portmereion but honestly can’t remember what it’s famous for without looking it up.

Margaret McGill
March 21, 2022 3:56 pm

BP
The Prisoner

jimthetim53
March 21, 2022 4:02 pm

Yes I think that’s right Mags.

MAGUA
March 21, 2022 4:08 pm

A brilliant summation. For the first time in ages, we have options for the midfield and forward line…this could prove vital in the run in. A settled defence helps the cause immensely.

Bawheid

I have been going on about the 3-5-2 formation for ages now. Recently though? We have been creating many chances with the manager’s very own system…so who are we to grumble? 😀

Hail Hail.

March 21, 2022 4:14 pm

MAGS cyber pint on its way👍

MAGUA
March 21, 2022 4:23 pm

Craig76

Cheers for posting the Neilly Mochan video. There is also a book with the same title by Paul John Dykes.

Hail Hail.

March 21, 2022 4:28 pm

MAGUA I remember neilly mochan running out with his green tracksuit on whenever one of the lions got injured, ach memories👍

Bawheid
March 21, 2022 5:00 pm

Dear MAGUA, Mahe’s summation was really good, so good in fact that it echoed my own. 😉 My 3-5-2 mention was a hark back to the past, to the MON era, it worked for him, but I don’t think that we currently have the players to make it work at present, I stick with G-Mak first to rumble the rotters and then when he runs out of steam, bring on Kyogo. But what about Jota? You are right in that, we do have for once not only a great first eleven but also a very good subs bench.
My son and I were talking about the strength that we have down our RHS Josip – O’Riley- Abada, so we agree with ATOB.
Its the peepul’s representative with the whistle that will have the most say in how that game plays out and how the new players handle the foaming at the mouth rancid support.
Looking at the printer currently firing out coloured pictures of “The Back Room Bhoy’s”, Neil Mochan – Sean Fallon – Bob Rooney, standing tall in front of the old stand, for some reason the grass is pink, is it hybrid?

Sol Kitts
March 21, 2022 5:02 pm

Big Packy
It was quite a stag night in Brighton. Where were you? Anyway, if you’re ever in Brighton, pop into The Walrus, I’ve left a couple of drinks behind the bar for you. Just ask for Dave the barmaid, tell her Sol left a couple of pink gins for you. If she doesn’t remember, tell her it was a big guy in hoops.
I took today off to recover and Mrs Kitts has got me washing all the windows in the house. I need to sell this bloody mansion, so far I’ve only done the east wing.
Hope you and wee Joan are keeping well. Tell wee Joan I’ve got her a personalised bottle of Windowlene Plus for her next trip to Essex.

Craig76
March 21, 2022 5:13 pm

Cheers MAGUA, thought you’d enjoy the video 👍
The book not available on amazon at the moment but I did come across this on my searches, would this be the book Puff Puff and yourself were waiting for.

Craig76
March 21, 2022 5:27 pm

celtic 5 raith rovers 0 1968 / WILLIE COLLOW

March 21, 2022 5:27 pm

SOL what a man you are, listen posters a true story, i was destitute and living in a tent in the festival park in basildon not far from sols house, this is the measure of the man he took me to his house and let me pitch my tent in his back garden, and he only charged me a tenner a night ,but when I look back it was free in the festival park🤩 but haud oan a minute sol gave me the ousider of a mothers pride square loaf, and put stork margarine on it, can you beat, that plus a plastic bottle of tap water from his kitchen and only charged me 50 quid, can you beat that, what a ghuy,,another true story,🤩 🤩

Sol Kitts
March 21, 2022 5:40 pm

Big Packy
Thanks for letting me know. I’ve just sacked my butler for putting Stork on your bread. He was told to give you it dry. 😂😂😎#demandamilanda

March 21, 2022 5:47 pm

SOL what can I say🤩 🤩

March 21, 2022 5:57 pm

another true story I got my tomtom sat nav pinched when i was delivering in dagenham in 2010, just before i retired from driving, sol knew dagenham and said to me what did he look like, sol he had a cockney accent thats all i know🤩 a few days later sol phones me, ive got your sat nav but it will cost you 500 quid to get it back, FFS sol I only paid 80 quid for it brand new, sorry packy he replied, inflation🤩 🤩 another true story,

MAGUA
March 21, 2022 5:58 pm

Bawheid

I have noticed that we have been getting some success from corners recently. Was it under MON that we last scored from a corner? It feckin’ well feels like it.

Big Packy

😀

Craig76

I don’t know if it would be a good idea to pre-order the book, as the publication date has been put back so many times. Obviously not the author’s fault. Think I’ll wait till it is actually published…just to be on the safe side. After the long wait, it better be a cracking read. 😀

Hail Hail.

Sol Kitts
March 21, 2022 6:22 pm

Big Packy
I heard you’re old enough to remember when Old Kent Road was known as New Kent Road. Is this a true story?

March 21, 2022 6:35 pm

SOL, no comment🤩

CFC
March 21, 2022 6:53 pm

Craig76

The RR game.

The state of that pitch! Ploughed field
It didn’t affect the quality of the football.
How good would those guys be on the manicured lawns today?

Craig76
March 21, 2022 7:22 pm

CFC
The pitch is more of a swamp than football pitch, although still better to play on than the plastic pitches today.
MAGUA
Think the book was 1st ment to be published in 2018 so as you say after this long it better be a cracker

BOBBY MURDOCH'S CURLED-UP WINKLEPICKERSround fr
March 21, 2022 7:37 pm

From New York Times…

It is, in many ways, the defining theme of modern soccer. The most egregious examples, of course, are the clubs that have been co-opted by forces that have only a tangential interest in sport: not just P.S.G., but Manchester City and Newcastle United and, most chaotically of all, Chelsea. Venerable and beloved teams that have been appropriated by states and oligarchs and princelings for their own ends.
But it holds true elsewhere. It is the root of the sickness that has come to afflict Manchester United, another team playing the role of final landing spot for an idol resisting the dying of the light. The priorities of the Glazer family, the club’s owners, are effectively unrelated to the demands of the fans: performance on the field matters only so much as it affects performance off it. As long as the money keeps rolling, first and fourth in the Premier League look much the same.

It is the problem that has beset Barcelona, where successive presidential regimes have focused not on maintaining the philosophy that made the club the defining team of an era, but on exploiting its brand, and Real Madrid, where the defining rationale behind any decision is the perpetuation of Florentino Pérez’s power. It is the issue that allows a host of teams to be happy to survive in the Premier League, greedily consuming the lucrative installments from the division’s television deals rather than, you know, trying to win something.

March 21, 2022 7:38 pm

Sevco have offered 700 tickets for Poundland, keep them and don’t sell them, and give them fk all for Paradise

March 21, 2022 7:38 pm

Test

timhorton
March 21, 2022 7:41 pm

BP
Watching a very good show on Netflix called Count Me In about drums and drummers.

March 21, 2022 7:48 pm

Bada

They should be told to shove their tickets where the sun doesn’t shine😱