We keep going,,

I predicted a tight game, instead it was a sh#te game. Once again the derby served up a terrible game of football.
Some actual beauty better break out at Celtic Park in two weeks time or we may as well stop expecting for a while.

Anyhows, I thought we were beaten when I read the team sheet. I admit I felt their dropping McGregor was a mistake, but that was nothing compared to our initial selection.

Look, Ange has flaws.
That’s why we got him, that’s why he’s here and not in the games upper echelons currently.
He’s flawed. Not the finished article.
He’s very good though.
Communication and Motivation are his strong points by all means, two essentials I’m sure you would admit.
Tactics,,,sorry but not his forte.

Tam in the hole was the difference maker two weeks ago. It was a one time deal against a foreign, traveled manager who hadn’t encountered it before, and it delivered the league as far as I’m concerned.
Attempting to repeat the trick later though?
Naive at best.

To these untrained eyes our man in the hole was negated by the team in blue playing quickly to their man in the hole, and if Aribo had better quality or wasn’t jaded (unsure which as I don’t watch that team if possible), we would have been in serious trouble that first half. He was the player with the most space, yet wasted it.

Any intelligent observer could tell we weren’t set up properly, clearly being outplayed but yet the break saw no big tactical or personnel switch by our Greek Australian. Very disappointing from all three professional coaches on the sidelines.

A lucky goal betrayed our poor display and Greg’s in particular, our subs had little effect, and perhaps most disappointing was the fact our shaped wasnt drastically altered for a must win game when behind or underperforming. Ange at his finest, and worst.
He didn’t have a plan B. His initial team selection was poor. His in-game management the same.
He’s flawed, just like I said.

If he ‘also’ had good tactical nous in the locker, chances are we wouldn’t be witnessing his craft in the dugout, he would be out of our league entirely. A second or third rate club/league rarely discovers a first rate coach in his prime, rarely being an understatement. After all, he was hanging out in plain view with a ‘come get me’ sign to all European clubs, yet no one else nibbled. Lack of tactics would surely have been noted, and deemed a deal breaker, but not necessarily at a giant outlier like Glasgow Celtic.

As we have all seen, Communication and Motivation have been enough to reach the summit in Scottish football, whereas a league such as Italy needs good tactical pedigree in order to survive, as well as the essentials mentioned above.

That defeat, as painful as it was, may just have been a blessing in disguise. It will tell Ange he needs to up his tactical game, that simply selecting any eleven won’t do against at least one team in the league, good. He needs to learn and keep learning despite the grey hair and resume.
It should tell him players can be improved upon, and perhaps be a portent for a very unforgiving Champions League group stage. Learning limitations now at this stage is much more preferable than under the most harshest of spotlights against the very best of opponents, a wonderful end to this campaign could have filled everyone into thinking they are much better than the reality, lulling everyone including those controlling the purse strings into a false sense of security.
Trebles shouldn’t be easy, never.
Ditto derby games.

We’ve come a long way, but the finished product we ain’t, and stinging defeat can only help reinforce that fact. Coming back down to earth isn’t always easy, but is sometimes necessary.
Ange Postecoglou, the Celtic squad, and the support just landed with a big bump.
As the gaffer said ‘we keep going’.

By Mahe

April 19, 2022 1:48 pm

Glasgow Cup semi final v Old Firm FC,2pm ko☝️

CFC
April 19, 2022 1:50 pm

Good 🎼advice😀

I hear you- all that is required is to take the aggressiveness out of the conversation and be constructive.
No one would listen to that in the pub.
Deaf ear or thick ear would be the result.

Pitymevin
April 19, 2022 1:50 pm

So we lose one domestic game in 35 and now our manager is nieve.

Give me peace

April 19, 2022 2:15 pm

1-0 to the wee tims!

April 19, 2022 2:34 pm

1-1 at SDM Park

April 19, 2022 3:22 pm

A fine read once again. Many thanks.

Retired Internet Bampot

Smashing debut post.

TGM

“crimpolene clad oompa loompas”. Magic. 😀 A really excellent post too. Well up to your usual standards.

Saltires

Cheers, my very good man. The pull of the good old Celts is indeed strong.

Some excellent posts on here today.

I totally understand the disappointment after Sunday, but sure, the league title-and all that goes with it-is the big one. Consider this though. Imagine that the Huns were six points clear of us, with a far healthier GD into the bargain. Imagine that we were at Fir Park on Saturday, and that they play Ross County away, on the Sunday. We then have on the Thursday, a EL(away), semi to negotiate…followed by a visit to Ibrox on the Sunday. Followed by the return leg of the EL semi on the Thursday. Imagine that we play our last league game away to Hearts, while they have their last league game at home to Motherwell. Furthermore, our squad is down to the bare bones, with our top scorer being out for the season. Would even the most optimistic of us, have any confidence whatsoever in overhauling the Huns. I for one, would have pretty much thrown in the towel by now. Sure, we would have a cup final against Hearts to look forward to, but it would be scant consolation for losing the league. The above situation is hypothetical ..for us, but not for the Huns. The above is what the Huns face, in trying to win the title. I wouldn’t change the situation that we are in at the moment, one little bit.

Hail Hail.

April 19, 2022 3:22 pm

2-1 to the wee Hoops!

April 19, 2022 3:28 pm

Magua…whilst understanding the sentiment, I’d love to be at this stage of any Euro competition…even at the expense of the League!! 2003 is folklore!

April 19, 2022 3:32 pm

VAR to be introduced in December, after 41 clubs out of 42 voted for it’s introduction. Who voted against I wonder?

Hail Hail.

April 19, 2022 3:35 pm

2-2 at SDM park. 12 minutes to play.

April 19, 2022 3:42 pm

Back in 2003. Hmmm. Maybe. Consider what Not winning the league would mean for the Huns. Loss of a possible 30-40 million smackeroonis. Added to that, half their team will be out of contract soon, while the other half are no spring chickens. There’s also numerous court cases pending, which they are surely destined to lose. The Sports Direct case has already been lost…only the amount of damages payable has still to be finalised. If the Celts win the league, this summer could be a helluva ball. 😀

Hail Hail.

April 19, 2022 3:44 pm

Magua…I was thinking in terms of what would be more special to me/us. We’ve had a lot of good times in the last few years but nae decent shows in Europe. I’d like a wee shot o’ it again!

fan
April 19, 2022 3:56 pm

(The odd shot on goal maybe?)

iI think you missed my point when i posted the above earlier.
It was in reference to Hibs hierarchy and fans expectations on Maloney and his dismissal today.
I had no interest in rehashing Sunday’s poor performance.

April 19, 2022 4:02 pm

That would be nice, I must admit. 😀

Hail Hail.

April 19, 2022 4:05 pm

The Wee Sevvies win 5-4 on pens in the Glasgow Cup semi. Celtic’s 5th taker goes to take his, the ba’ moves inthe wind, he needs to reset it and I think the delay caused him to lose his bottle a wee bit! Wee Sevvie player steps up and does the biz. Not any real quality on show from Celtic other than wee Karamoko. Julien and MJ both in the team but…

fan
April 19, 2022 4:26 pm

For me it’s hard to tell if Ange is the real deal.
We have lots of beautiful attacking football but at times we also look like a team of individuals.
Recently it’s been noticeable that our distance from front to back has increased.
This was an early season issue when our second half performances were poor compared to many of our high press first halfs.
You cannot press properly with that level of space on the field as there are too many easy outs.
A lack of leadership on the field is noticeable at times.
On Sunday it was very noticeable .
Not sure if Ange knows why his system fails at times or he understands but does not yet have players required for optimal performance.
His mental strength and intellect are a plus and he has done remarkably well to exceed all our expectations.
For me next season in Europe will be the test of his footballing philosophy and system,
Here’s hoping he proves me to be a doubting fool.

April 19, 2022 4:37 pm

“Rocco Vata, eligable to play for Scotland, Albania and Republic of Ireland ……….. guess which one he picked”
Sevco TV commentator

April 19, 2022 4:48 pm

AFTERNOON all AND JIM some great posts today and welcome to the new posters think the gombeen man wins it his post and maguas from last night were awesome so you know what camp im in🤩🤩

April 19, 2022 5:03 pm
April 19, 2022 5:20 pm

Big Packy

Cheers for that pal. Hadn’t Heard that version before. 😀

Hail Hail.

timhorton
April 19, 2022 5:57 pm

FAN@4:26pm
In complete agreement with your comment, our space is getting wider and so easy for a counter attack.Not sure on Ange i just hope we don’t do a Leeds.Looking forward to Sunday.

April 19, 2022 6:55 pm

Evening all,

Not much to add but some absolutely brilliant posts over the last couple of days 👏👏👏👏👏

Well done everyone.

Nice wee afternoon out today with Mrs L 💚💚

Bada,

Was up your neck of the woods on Sunday, ie The Kittoch and met a few of your pals before the game.
Good bunch 👍

Perhaps I’ll catch you next time as one of my friends drinks in there, Willie H.

HH 🍀🍀

April 19, 2022 7:06 pm

FAN 356

Correct. I misinterpreted your comment.

April 19, 2022 7:19 pm

could i tell a dog story which happened yesterday, just scroll past if not interested, was walking my 4 westies along the daresbury expressway, which is the main route into warrington, I have been walking that route since the start of the pandemic, since it is a dual carriegeway there is normally no dogs, I just follow the cycle lane and keep walking its normally a full hour and a half walk, yesterday morning was passing the daresbury hotel, when this dog came bounding out, was waiting for the owner but nobody about it, was a young whippet ,very lively thank god it was a bank holiday and the traffic was light, a car came by and saw the danger and tried to grab the dog, now I had 4 westies could not do much to help, shouted to the driver grab the dog and put it in your boot at least it will be safe, then a green hatchback came on the scene and they got hold of the dog guy probably late 30s early forties with a young guy probably late teens, probably father and son, I was relieved at this point ,10 minutes later this same car passed me hatchback but the hatch was open, watched it go up to the traffic lights just before the M56 motorway, and the dog jumped out and headed towards the motorway, I could not look, as you know IM a dog lover and was thinking good god that dog is going to get run over, but you know what ,dumb and dumber in the green hatchback ive no words to describe them, putting a dog in their car and leaving the hatch open feckin beggars belief, anyway rant over.

April 19, 2022 7:43 pm

Leggy- no bother HH

fan
April 19, 2022 7:55 pm

Tim Horton
Was an early season habit we seemed to have eradicated.
We reverted to it at Ibrox and won easily so maybe needs addressed by coach or we could struggle on run in.

April 19, 2022 8:11 pm

One sip of my beer and Liverpool one up already, oh if you want to see playing from the back properly watch Liverpool

April 19, 2022 8:23 pm

2:0 game over after 21 minutes😵

April 19, 2022 8:34 pm

Keane will be on oxygen just now

Craig76
April 19, 2022 8:42 pm

29th of August 1903 is significant in Celtic history for what reason ?

April 19, 2022 8:48 pm

Celtic wear the hoops for very first time and lose 3:1. Ps my typing is pish today😕

April 19, 2022 8:53 pm

Craig76

First time we wore the Hoops?

Hail Hail.

Craig76
April 19, 2022 8:58 pm

You corrected yourself just in time 👏
Correct also 👏

Although some say the Hoops made their debut on the 15th of August there is no photo or written evidence to back up the claim

April 19, 2022 9:00 pm

RANGERS TV commentator Tom Miller has been accused of making a “despicable racist comment” by the agent of a Celtic youth star.

Neil Murray, who represents Rocca Vata, made the accusation on Twitter but soon deleted the tweets.

April 19, 2022 9:02 pm

Craig
Lesson learned, don’t google while watching the football😂😂😂
Ps if I knew that stuff off the top of my head I would be seriously concerned👍

Craig76
April 19, 2022 9:04 pm

MAGUA
Issue 8 of The Shamrock magazine is out now, I’ve just made an arse of buying the digital copy by putting in wrong email address 🤦

April 19, 2022 9:04 pm

Craig76

😀

Hail Hail.

Craig76
April 19, 2022 9:06 pm

I’m deducting 1 hand clap for use of Google 😀

April 19, 2022 9:07 pm

Craig76

Cheers Craig. I’m pretty sure it’s sold in Calton Books, so will try to get a hard copy.

Hail Hail.

April 19, 2022 9:08 pm

Craig

That’s only fair and for the wrong email address story you get the doughnut of the day award😂😂😂😂😂

Craig76
April 19, 2022 9:15 pm

That’s fair enough aswell 🤣
MAGUA
Yes it’s sold there and at Celtic Park on match days according to their website 👍☘

April 19, 2022 9:17 pm

Craig76

Good lad. 😀

Hail Hail.

A thing of beauty
April 19, 2022 9:18 pm

Bada 9pm,
I read that. You just know that him and Jimmy Bellend wear poppies all year and have commemorative plates of the jubilee in every room. Pair of bigoted eejits who suit that rancid club to a tee.

BelmontBrian63
April 19, 2022 9:26 pm

Evening all.

A wee trio of my favourite tunes from the Rolling Stones, unfortunately I couldn’t find a personal favourite of mine. ‘hold me tightly’ by The Stones. 🙂

Nite all

Brian

Frodshambhoy
April 19, 2022 10:02 pm

Big Packy interesting (long) walk you take
Do you go into Walton Hall Park or Walton Hall and Gardens to use the feeshal name

Frodshambhoy
April 19, 2022 10:08 pm

Big Packy I’m thinking Chester Road and Daresbury Park Hotel. That’s my main route to Warrington. I guess you mean the actual expressway. Brave man

April 19, 2022 10:38 pm

Big belated welcomes to 4GreenFields and Retired Internet Bampot. Thanks for visiting and hope you enjoy the place.

PityMevin, the majority of supporters think he was naive on Sunday. All wrong? What happened before has no bearing. It’s all about opinions of course, I’ve plenty.

Happy taco Tuesday y’all from central California waiting on much needed rain drowning my sorrows.

April 19, 2022 10:55 pm

In respect of refereeing and VAR I posted this elsewhere mostly from a sense of frustration that a) our own supporter groups like CST do not consider SFA reform starting with Refereeing important enough to fight for and b) that frustration leads to the understandable but ultimately divisive exchanges that surface when the need for reform manifests itself.

Some leadership from within our support is needed and as matters stand there appears to be none.

Guys. Celtic will not call them out without either being forced to or getting shareholder support to. The only way and it is far from certain is to call out Celtic at an AGM with a well constructed, fact supported Resolution to the AGM.
Make a case for SFA reform of Refereeing process, as covered at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FWtVWYTpYO87py1mDr2WipKUlPYm3WdW/edit?usp=drivesdk&ouid=107947982974245186134&rtpof=true&sd=true .

Get supporters of other clubs to support and seek same disclosure rules as England.

Bring in Tracy Crouch review of English football. Ask if Celtic would welcome her recommendations for Scottish football.

Put Celtic on the spot. That a Res may be voted down is irrelevant.

Getting one on AGM agenda gives the issue publicity the media cannot ignore.

As matters stand only the CST have the means to make SFA reform an issue.

Stop complaining and do something positive.

Make it difficult if not impossible for Celtic not to take issue to SFA on basis their supporters have had enough of unfair play and demand reasoned and reasonable change.

Frodshambhoy
April 19, 2022 11:13 pm

Auldheid I share your frustrations albeit from a much less informed position.

I’ve lived in England for about 38 years and I bore people to death telling them that Scotland is the only country in the world where refs can take charge of games involving a team that they support. I don’t know if that’s entirely true but I can’t imagine any other country would allow such a potentially unfair and volatile situation to exist.

Whilst I’d love Scotland to clean up its act I’m not sure how easy it would be. Where would we find a sizeable group of competent referees that don’t have leanings towards der hun. I think we’d need to look outside Scotland. I would welcome that but can’t see the powers that be and Sevco supporting that solution.

April 19, 2022 11:25 pm

I agree this idea within Scotland that you can ref a game impartially involving a team you supported is bollocks however you are way off the radar when one of the teams is not only one you support but one you had a ST to attend their games.

Watching Liverpool v Manu would you think the English FA would allow a former ST holder to ref it😱