Norfolk Enchants

Been a hectic week for me,even if it all looks a little laid back at Celtic Park. Yes,we are back in training.and even off on a trip to Austria for the first of some pre-season friendlies. But at the moment,the promised continuation of last season’s magnificent rebuild has yet to materialise.

We have lost the peerless talents of Tom Rogic since last season,as well as Nir Bitton. Granted,I found it difficult to take to the big Israeli,who in nearly a decade at the club failed to tie down a regular starting place-or position,even!-but his loss deprives us of a capable utility stand-in.

Granted too that we have signed up CCV,but then,he was with us last season. So too was Jota,and even if the vibes are still positive,I want to see his signature on that contract! (Ask MIKEINTORONTO what the alternative offer is.) So as it stands,we actually have a weaker squad now than even two months ago.

It seems we have definitely signed Alexandro Bernabei,a 21yo Argentinian left back. Certainly according to the clubs anyway. He was even introduced to the public in the time-honoured jersey and scarf. But is there likely to be a further hold-up here to do with work permit problems? We have seen them before,after all. The fall-out as a result of Brexit has upended the whole work permit system,and that applies to non-EU nationals too.

Apart from that-having never seen him play-my main concern remains his height. At 5’7” he is smaller than Greg Taylor,who we all agree is hampered defensively by his own lack of stature. But then,it seems he possesses a decent head butt,and I can think of a few deserving targets for him to practice on. As ever when I lack enthusiasm over a signing,I hope he rams my words down my throat!

There are constant rumours,as there always are at this time of the year. And we should remember that the window is still open for over eight weeks. But AP has always said that he prefers his new signings to be available for the off,ready for pre-season and adapting to new surroundings and new colleagues.

The board should listen,rather than be booking their summer holidays.

There are another couple of rumoured departures,which brings me back to my opening paragraph. First night of the week was a Jolly Boys Outing to Margate-and a few other parts of northern Kent-via an initial drop at Heathrow. The rest of the week has seen me skirting the Suffolk/Norfolk border after an improving visit to Cambridge. Each night sees me in bliddy Lowestoft,as well as  driving a few yards away from Carrow Road. And this,it seems,is where one of the brightest hopes in years from our academy seems destined to sign up.

Everything that we heard from those inside Celtic,whether that be the senior players or the various coaches,had us all believing that we had the next big thing on our books. Yet he has barely figured for us since his debut over five years ago. There is no doubt that EVERYONE at the club wanted this lad to succeed,and that especially included the fans. We love our heroes at Celtic,and especially our home-grown ones. But it seems that to achieve his ambitions,he will have to start again elsewhere.

The thing is,I reckon,that none of us wanted Michael Johnston to succeed as much as he himself did. He was living the dream-the dream we’ve ALL had-and the world was his lobster,it seemed. The lad didn’t make the breakthrough he wanted,maybe,because he wanted it so much. It meant everything to him! You could see it every time he played in the last two seasons especially,a look that said-this time,surely,ffs!

Yes,the injuries also held him back,but maybe it was the weight of expectations that held him back. Ours and his own. I hope now,new club,new country,that he can dispense with that dead weight and get back to enjoying his football. I think it’s been a while since that happened for him. Make us wonder what we missed out on,young fella. You deserve that,and I wish you all the best.

Karamoko Dembele has a new club,Brest in Ligue 1. How a talent like his failed to make it at Celtic really is beyond me. Perhaps we need to look at our development process. Same goes for Luca Connell,so highly rated by his international side. Needless to say,we hope they flourish elsewhere.

The other impending departure from the fringes of the squad is Jullien. Though even at 29yo and in danger of seeing his career fizzle out,he still has too high an opinion of himself for Schalke’s liking. After a promising start,etc,you know the rest. Just like you know the rest when I mentioned Heathrow earlier in the article.

And back once again to the main point of the article? Don’t piss off Ange. Lovely humourous Australian fellas,from my own experience,don’t take kindly to being pissed off. Just saying,like…

*+*+*+*

CaltonTongues
July 1, 2022 2:08 pm
The Real McCoy
July 1, 2022 2:17 pm

JNP/ REBUS
A lovely interaction there ( oops nearly forgot the space ) , regarding posts . I particularly liked Rebus’ idea of just nodding in agreement of a post because we don’t always have the time to respond.
As for your posts JNP , my interest was piqued when I noticed it was about birds.
Imagine my disappointment when it was ornithology based 🤓🦜🕊🦩
#where’stheburds
FrankMaccaCSC 🍀
“ Jimmy Johnstone and Bobby Lennox sang Pretty Flamingo ad nauseum “

JimmynotPaul
July 1, 2022 2:20 pm

From St Anthony on Twitter.
Sad to hear of the passing of Drew Busby. Guys my age will always remember him from the of the old football cards in the 70’s. https://t.co/PD9DzuKyVc

The Real McCoy
July 1, 2022 2:21 pm

CT – 😳😂👏
Leopard— unfortunately 🥸
( shit , I just replied 🥲)

JimmynotPaul
July 1, 2022 2:22 pm

TRM. 2.17.
A great song, I have that on my I.Pod.

The Real McCoy
July 1, 2022 2:29 pm

JNP ,
I still go regularly ( prepandemic) to see The Manfreds 🦩. Hopefully later in the year 🤞
Sorry to hear about Drew Busby . I attended Broomfield as a lad when I couldn’t go to see Celtic. Remember his goal scoring partnership with Drew Jarvie was prolific. RIP

JimmynotPaul
July 1, 2022 2:32 pm

🏟 The club is delighted to announce that Season Tickets for the 2022/23 campaign have now completely sold out.

👏 #CelticFC fans incredible support once again ensures that Paradise will be full to capacity once again when the champions return to Celtic Park.🍀

I think that must be one of the earliest dates, we have sold out the 53,000
The first of July.

The Leopard’s Rimshot
July 1, 2022 2:34 pm

It’s ok, TRM, your words are much appreciated in the Rimshot household 👍🏻😘😎

July 1, 2022 3:21 pm

I suppose a glass half empty blog is better than no blog.

As a glass half full, but hoping for more type, I think the old narrative we are used to debating about a glass empty of any football and a manager at odds with The Board, is hard to shake off after the Lawwel years following finances first policy.

However all the evidence points to the old narrative falling on its arse along with 10iar.

I’m looking forward to a fitter faster and cleverer brand of football next season and a new more conciliatory narrative taking the place of the old.

timhorton
July 1, 2022 3:38 pm

I think a lot of posts read like a statement.
We have the same team as last year plus two players at a cost of 18ml (total).
Happy Canada Day Rebus and all Tims in Canada.

July 1, 2022 3:45 pm

Rebus.

I know the feeling when no reply, but persistence beats resistance.

You wrote a cracker of a post last week that I agreed with totally and at very least should have given it the thumbs up or three had I known how to post that icon.

It is inevitable that with no games to pass judgement on that chat tends towards more social subjects and more engagement takes place but in my experience things we say can be just what someone wants to hear even if they do not acknowledge it.

I promised a blog as a follow up to mine on the CST AGM but did not sense much enthusiasm or positivity but that itself sent me a message to change tack on the approach.
(As I used to say to one of my managers ” I listen for what folk arent telling me”)

An initiative that stalled is now back on course as a result and is giving me reasons to be hopeful of taking a morexpositive narrative further..

July 1, 2022 3:47 pm

Been a while ….hope all are good.

And a happy Canada day from this Canuck 🍁

The Real McCoy
July 1, 2022 3:48 pm

Good Morning Canucks 🍁
Happy Hoopy Canada Day 🇨🇦
Professor Rebus, MIT, TimHorton et al on the east and to all over there in the west 👋🏻
Anybody Stuck In The Middle ?
( don’t tell Puff 🔥 Puff🔥) 😂
Better run now… Lady McCoy has ordered lobster roll🦞 for afternoon tea followed by
Timbits ( dreeped in maple syrup) and accompanied by a chilled Caesar cocktail 🍹or two 🍹😱

Man from Orillia –

Man from Kildare –

Hail Hail All In Canada 🍁 🇨🇦

SeS
July 1, 2022 3:49 pm

Happy Canada Day to Rebus & Mike in Toronto plus any other Canadians including my neighbour across the road who worked there once upon a time and has Maple Leaf 🍁 in all his windows.

Tim Horton – a great point on statements that we just nod along to etc. There are guys & gals on here with great insights and unusual specialist knowledge.

Asking for a friend who is trying to find someone who knows where to find/buy/rent/borrow or steal baking soda -to clean my ( sorry his) towels and had thought baking powder .. would be just the job …

Or, are all the Nobel Prize winners in Chemistry all Sevco fans?

The Real McCoy
July 1, 2022 3:49 pm

Big Audio Dynamite 👋🏻
My BAD 😞 💚

July 1, 2022 3:56 pm

AFTERNOON ALL and JIM, sol you kept that quiet, a trip to disneyland paris, you could have saved me a seat, you know I love mickey mouse🤩🤩

July 1, 2022 4:03 pm

THE REAL MCOY, talking about drew busby, may he rest in peace, and drew jarvie ,my pal in glenboag, billy hendry was in the same class as drew jarvie at ramoan primary school ,we used to play football up in ramoan, the catholics v the proddies, remember drew jarvie tackling me, nearly broke my leg ,but in all honesty it was a fair tackle ,he was just too good for me🤩another true story

July 1, 2022 4:08 pm

I think I mentioned this before but my memory is fading so, perhaps not. In the early days of CQN, around the Bellamy saga, I used to wonder at the responses that Kojo’s posts received. His stuff did not appear any more insightful than my own. I asked him about it. He said he usually agreed with my posts so why respond? If I wanted more attention then I should be more controversial. So something like: Celtic stink! Rather than: Celtic have not strengthened…..is more likely to get a response.

Pity, because sensationalism is just not in my nature.

Up the ‘Gers!

Rebus

July 1, 2022 4:13 pm

TRM. 👍

I’m that much of a Canadian, I didn’t have a clue it was Canada day till I logged on here 10mins ago 😆

I’m way more Scottish anyway

Hope you’re well, mate 🍀

The Real McCoy
July 1, 2022 4:15 pm

BP – 👍🏻 Jarvie defo a good player but a cream bun 🤬
Think yon Rebus 1690 is wan too 😩😂

July 1, 2022 4:28 pm

timhorton

We actually have the same team as last season , plus the Argentine left back.

July 1, 2022 4:44 pm

Meanwhile in my backyard, life continues oblivious of Canada Day. Four chipmunks scramble for seed, rather as we, as bairns, used to do for thrupennies and big pennies at a wedding!

Two crows come by regularly as they have a system of calls to alert the presence of food. A bluejay focuses on the sunflower seeds, but less urgently as he is between clutches. Mr and Mrs Red Cardinal prefer the berries on our trees but they have to compete with the adept waxwings who can twist off a berry with a jerk of their head.

I found a tree frog yesterday out the front as I trimmed a peatree. However, round the back in the wee burn, there are two large frogs who have found one another and want to tell the World about it.

Who is the boss or Bruce Springstein? The surprising answer is a wee red squirrel who takes crap from nobody, including those much bigger than him. The black and grey squirrels are twice his size but they fear him. He springs at them with fists flying.

My fear is I am building dependence. I can never satisfy them all. The more food I put out, the larger the number of groupies that I generate.

Over and out and remember 1690 and 2022 when the Gers lost a European final gloriously!

Rebus

SeS
July 1, 2022 4:49 pm

Hoi Rebus … are you a Hun?

😂😂

Memories

Billy Bhoy
July 1, 2022 4:54 pm

St Tams

“We actually have the same team as last season , plus the Argentine left back.”

Poor Tam Rogic and Nir Bitton – gone and already forgotten 😥

The Fenian Whaler
July 1, 2022 4:54 pm

Following on from my wee posting on the Ulster-Scots returning to an indy Scotland I just happened to chance on this vid. A decent enough attempt to try and summarise the start of the rather complex issues that Ireland is still dealing with. Me, well I’m still trying to get me feckin’ head around Sinn Fein’s recent love fest with the SNP, I guess none of the SF leadership has attempted to sing a Reb song in the West of Scotland🤣.

Scots Irish and the Ethnic Cleansing of James VI

July 1, 2022 4:58 pm

memory lane, remember going to shawfield and cathkin park as a young bhoy, cathkin park was probably 60 years ago and the terracing looked about 80 years old even then🤩another true story

ASWGL
July 1, 2022 4:59 pm

Just a test, disregard

Billy Bhoy
July 1, 2022 5:05 pm

Rebus

Yes, I fancy the sons of William to romp the league this season. They’ve beaten off all suitors to retain McGregor, Arfield, and Davis. That’s over a century of experience right there. They’ve also retained Morelos, Kent, Helander, Barasic, Jack and Roofe. Each of these guys can remain fit for over twenty games a season.

So, we’re really up against it. Our league win might just have been a plucky, against the odds fluke.

Too far? 🤔

A thing of beauty
July 1, 2022 5:07 pm

Frodsham bhoy,
I, like others hope you will reconsider. I think others have demonstrated that people often don’t get replies to posts, not just yourself and I include myself in that. Maybe we should get better at acknowledging a good post rather than ignoring because we don’t feel the need to add anymore. As for the days out. I don’t get the impressions these are closed shops but it maybe others have met up before. I can assure you Mrs CCB wishes they were a closed shop because she says her husband would go the the opening of an envelope.

A thing of beauty
July 1, 2022 5:10 pm

fan
The circle at Celtic fc has remained incomplete since the Jock Stein era.
It was a rare interlude in our history.
For our youngsters the pathway has too many pitfalls.
Their failure is often met with the response if he was good enough he would have made it.
Simply not true as luck, circumstances and the whims and likes of coaches all play a huge part.
Guidance and proper preparation have all played a huge part in who does or doesn’t make it.
New management selected by unqualified people can also see abrupt tactical change and the demise of promising careers.
It can also breathe life into a declining player.
Inconsistency in instruction is difficult to deal with for even the most experienced players so imagine how a developing star feels.
Strangely this coming season after last seasons success may prove more difficult for coaches.
Fear is a natural part of the landscape and often stifles youngsters development as coaches tend to remain in a comfort zone with the tried and trusted.
The defensive need of someone to supplement CCV and Starfelt should not necessarily be addressed by a signing when we have Welsh,Murray and Lawall who could be looked at preseason and given time to show their ability.
Likewise the signing of Siegrest may affect the chances given to Oluwayemi who by all accounts is a very promising talent.
Robertson has had good reports elsewhere and along with Guchi should be given game time to see what he brings.
Upfront it would make more sense to give Moffat,Kenny and Dawson playing time rather than sign another.
If none of the youngsters cut it then having financial stability allows us the ability to fill the void with seasoned professionals properly scouted for the role we intended.
/////——/////——-/////———//////———/////
In the spirit of practicing what I preached:
👏👏👏👏👏

ASWGL
July 1, 2022 5:14 pm

If i’m not mistaken this website has the ability to put a like button at the foot of all posts, where users can click “Like” to show they enjoyed someones input, It may be something worth implementing, at least that way people won’t feel as if they have been totally ignored.

One for Bobby and Mahe to consider..

July 1, 2022 5:17 pm

FRODSHAM BHOY, get back on here, you live in one of the most beautiful villages in cheshire, you should be so proud, BTW went to sainsburys in eddisbury square a few weeks ago, wee joan wanted some things you cant get in tesco or asda, could not get a parking space, eventually gave up and went to morrisons just around the corner,,another true story🤩

July 1, 2022 5:20 pm

Billy,

I agree the blue team have strengthened considerably and there is still time to sign more for the Sevco Senate Kickers! Aye, the miracles of modern stimulants!

Don’t forget, Bobby Madden has been transferred to the lower English leagues to find more unpolished nuggets for the blue team. I think we shall go one further this year in Europe and lose during normal time rather than after the 90 minutes. Our brave boys were starved of water and threatened by a policeforce that had bigger sticks than we had. Next year we shall be prepared.

Remember 1960, err is it 9016? Struth, you know what I mean.

Lubricate the Gers! Lubricate, Lads!

Rebus

400 Likes

timhorton
July 1, 2022 5:23 pm

ST.TAMS
Plus GK.

Twisty
July 1, 2022 5:28 pm

Frodsham B

I agree with ATOB on the response angle. I read the blog most days but must admit I should probably at least acknowledge a good post rather than agree with it without responding.

Be nice to see you continue posting, though be prepared for a barrage of responses!

I’m actually on just now to respond to Bobby’s opener today. Concur with most but Im not on to tell him that , I’m only replying to disagree with the one part.

Im not at all convinced full backs in the modern game need to be of any great height or physical stature. It’s more about pace and ability to cross that’s key in todays game.
I think Greg Taylor has a commendable attitude, undoubtedly gives his all in every game, I just feel he lacks the consistency in his decision making and accuracy with his final ball, to be considered as good enough to hold down the full back position.

Just my opinion.

July 1, 2022 5:29 pm

Celtic spending money, real money! Well, I never.
And from a strong starting position …what a pleasant change.
I was trying to remember the last time I was this relaxed about our transfer dealings.

SeS
July 1, 2022 5:31 pm

Fan

Aye good post earlier today – a classic of just reading it going ‘ yup! That’s exactly the way I’m thinking’

ASWGL – good idea on the ‘like’ thingy – the only downside is if nobody gives folks likes etc. Then they might zoom off to KDS and get hunners of likes etc.. seriously, tho’ did this come up before and get rejected for some reason? – maybe the facility is available now and wasn’t at that time ( we use a new platform now ? )

One of the things that is off-putting is seeing who likes stuff on KDS ( I Never post there btw but had a login since about 2008 – got caught up in a wee jig with some fascist bassa who thought we shouldn’t call players vic67 and stuff like that unless ye had about 10,900 posts and 3 millions ‘likes’… anyhoo that’s a long time ago and it’s a good blog for focusing into stuff we don’t discuss here … like politics … or most of us don’t 😉 because the hosts asked that we don’t and it’s their ba’ …)

I’d vote for a likes function, but not dislikes and not showing who likes, And never show how many likes ye get as a rolling score.

I’d also vote for being able to add images/pics/gif etc… but that’s a nightmare to administer & moderate I suppose.

Defo agree on ‘likes’

In fact you just got the First ‘like’

I’m Claiming that one …😉

July 1, 2022 5:39 pm

timhorton
First 11 has had left back added.
Less Rogic

The Real McCoy
July 1, 2022 5:45 pm

SeS,
I like yer post tae 👍🏻
Howevah, yer way behind Professor Rebus
( Attilla) … @5:20 —— 400 likes 😱😂

SeS
July 1, 2022 5:48 pm

The Real McCoy 🌞

Bigrailroadblues
July 1, 2022 5:53 pm

ATOB, I can assure you that I have been to more opening of envelopes than your Dad. It’s one of my greatest achievements. 😂

SeS
July 1, 2022 5:57 pm

BRRB

I remember seeing you at that letter opening at Lakeside Park .. or was it Xanadu…

Bigrailroadblues
July 1, 2022 5:58 pm

SeS, nope, Bastille Day. 😂

Bigrailroadblues
July 1, 2022 6:02 pm

Just a wee point to everyone on here. When I meet anyone socially SC or CQN I insist on all welcome and no exceptions.

SeS
July 1, 2022 6:02 pm

BRRB

A thing of beauty
July 1, 2022 6:04 pm

BRRB,
The worrying thing is I actually believe you.😂😂

Bigrailroadblues
July 1, 2022 6:05 pm

ATOB, so does Mrs BRRB. 😳

July 1, 2022 6:37 pm

TRM,

DR Prof Rebus to you!

I actually had a student shout down the corridor after me, “ Dr Prof Rebus, Sir!”

Rebus

PS “professor” …..a term used by charlatans and mountebanks.

Craig76