Tales of the unexpected

International breaks are usually the bane of the blogger with subjects few and far between, but luckily enough the weekend threw up some tasty Celtic related news.

Saturday saw the oul Hoops in action, literally. ‘Our’ legends vs the legends of another legendary club, one I have a soft spot for, one which did itself no favours in that regard.

I say no favours but I must tip my hat to the Anthill I mean Anfield mob for the generous gesture of making the Foundation the charity of choice on the day, well done.

And that’s the last bit of praise they get. A gentlemanly kick about for a good cause was marred by poor officiating and provocative goal celebrations on the day.
Our team manager publicly complained, when have you ever heard that in a legends match?
I’m embarrassed for anyone officially involved with the team in red on the day, they actually became sore winners. Whatever, but my sour taste in the mouth from the result was washed away by a debutant in the Hoops, who just happens to come across as a real genuine bloke appreciative of life.

I follow Trevor Sinclair on Twitter and he often has a pint of Guinness in his hand, cap on his head, and a smile on his face.
Saturday delivered the biggest smile Ive seen yet.
He waxed lyrical about finally achieving an ambition of his, the club and its support, and walked away truly delighted to be involved.

A certain MrGerrard walked away from the occasion with his reputation further tarnished. Not content with once again hitting the back of the net in front of home support, the idiot then makes it personal with the away Tims.

I’m filing this under playing to the gallery, as he knows this will further boost his credentials with the Ibrox mob, who have become his fallback employers as managerial life down south is proving a tough nut to crack for his meager talent.
For some reason I can’t quite grasp he’s highly rated over there, and I for one would be relaxed about any return to that dugout.
His actions show you can’t buy class, whereas Ange oozes it.
The Tims did seem to have a great day out though, our supports credentials were boosted, thanks everyone.

Sundays postman delivered the news of a record yearly turnover for the famous Glasgow Celtic, one hundred and twenty two million smackeroonies has become the figure to beat.
This doesn’t mean much on the park, football operations will self produce revenue (Abada, Welsh, Turnbull) to fund summer strengthening, bigger turnover won’t increase their budget by any significant amount.

It has meaning off the park.
First and foremost it shows the current board approach to be rewarding in all senses of the word. Having hit upon a winning formula, there’s no incentive to rip it up, and clearly prioritizing football operations over the balance sheet is working. One might say it’s down to Ange, but I would reply the blueprint has been laid out,, an experienced foreign manager who can specialize in a value transfer market(s).

These figures must help as far as Dermot and Peter are concerned,,the majority shareholder should be happy the share price rose upon the news, and as a support we can breath easier that the experienced hand of Peter to steady the ship is definitively not needed, hopefully not ever.
Doing great without you thanks.

The bank account will swell, and there’s been conjecture enough over why accumulate such a large amount. As the clubs largest income stream and it’s lifeblood, I feel we should be entitled to some type of answer on this front, this hoarding cannot continue long term without an explanation. We shall see what transpires, but that cash must benefit the club in some capacity, and must not swell pockets under any circumstances. Ideally it’s the sweetener for a new owner, first few transfer windows covered, I doubt it though. A large degree of trust must be placed with the PLC here.

Records are made to be broken, and with the extra Champions League game at home, the record turnover announced should be broken fairly quickly, the big one and a half beckons. I believe it’s fair to say we are undergoing a growth spurt, but unlike humans at a football club that doesn’t necessarily correspond with becoming bigger and moving up a tier.
I believe the club sits on the precipice of moving to the next level, it need only be grasped.
Infrastructure improvement, revised wage ceiling, stadium expansion, better the scouting network,,with the aim of annual Champions League entry to further establish the name and entice names, to reach the next level.
With football operations within budget the slow lane doled out to Martin need not be an option. As a club we are perfectly positioned to break a new ceiling, on and off the pitch.

The problem there however, is once that genie is out of the bottle, it’s very hard to put it back in. Supporters want progression not regression and when the latter occurs heads tend to be called for. It’s uncharted waters for an elderly and traditionally risk adverse board of directors, but yet there’s more money to be made.

Dermot will make the big call, but if business logic dictates that by expanding the enterprise profit via income and share price would grow, as a businessman he will find that hard to ignore. That’s somewhat reassuring, his bottom line and the supporters hopes could become unlikely bedfellows.
Should become in this instance. What he decides will leave an impact upon which he shall be judged.
He likes fast horses, so why not the fast lane?

Finally, the new Samaras, a mystery wrapped in an enigma aka Mikey Johnson.
It’s somewhat notable the gaffer never sold him but loaned him, this suggests to me he wanted a fresh body of work to analyze before deciding.
Go out and do your best would have been the message.
Looks like he did just that, impressing at club level plus on the International stage when given the opportunity.
With Liel Abada heading elsewhere will Mikey be given his final shot?
Ange is clearly a man who admires skill and attacking instinct. Unfortunately it’s Mikeys body that often gets in the way of the true breakthrough into the first team proper.
I suspect he will be given one more shot.
For everyone’s sake let’s hope it works out.

Up The Hoops
By Mahe

March 27, 2023 4:36 pm

Wire brush and dettol. Think yourself lucky that neither went up yer arse. Times were tough back then!

March 27, 2023 4:48 pm

JIMDOM

I didn’t know Jonny before I met him. And yes,I know how stupid that reads. Once I’d met him,I wished I’d known him all my life.

There aren’t too many people I met that nobody ever had a bad word to say. Just proud to have known him.

March 27, 2023 4:50 pm

Aye Magua,

The good old days down Ayrshire way !!!!!

Also went to Troon way back and again Sunday was 🕺 time. The Anchorage was brilliant.

If you couldn’t get a lumber it was the motor for you 😜😜😜

My back is still sair as it was always the 4 of us in it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must have been the Lanarkshire accent them Ayrshire lasses didn’t like 😳😳😳😳😳

March 27, 2023 4:59 pm

McCaff, brilliant stuff 👍

Twisty, thanks for that. 👍

Magua
March 27, 2023 5:00 pm

You devil you. 😀 There was a pub on the Main St in Prestwick, that had a nautical name, but I’m fecked if I can remember it’s name…cracking wee boozer, though. Smashing times.

Hail Hail.

SFTB
March 27, 2023 5:00 pm

Iniquitous

It’s a day for memories right enough. I remember that Taylor Street gym well. For a year or two at Uni I trained in it twice a week and played in it on Saturdays and an occasional Sunday too. It had two full courts side by side. with huge, unnecessarily high ceilings- you could have played Quidditch in it. When my Volleyball team trained, the other court on the other side of the dividing curtain, was used by the Archery club firing at big RAF targets over a 40-50 yard distance. When one of our volleyballs used to roll through a space between the curtain and the wall, you had to be a brave man to retrieve it. If you poked your head through the curtains to plead for a ceasefire, instead of unloading their weapons, they kept the arrows in the bow and merely pointed the bows at the roof. In retrieving a hundred or so balls that season , I never once escaped the feeling that, as soon as I reached the ball, all bows would return to the horizontal and a flurry of arrows would see me kebabbed like Saint Sebastian.

A couple more memories of that gym was of how cold it was from around October to March, which was the University and National Volleyball season, anyway. That whole space, the size of 2 large Games Halls, with a ceiling half as high as the ugly Livingstone Tower on Campus, was provided with one source of heat. There was a 2 bar electric fire situated about 12 feet up the wall near the entrance door. As we did our warm up sprints round the court we would attempt to get our hands near this source of heat to fight off frostbite. It was. a great motivating device to both get a sweat on quickly (but not let it cool or ice particles would form) and to improve your vertical jump. I think that 2 bar fire heated the water in the showers too, as the water coming out the shower head was only semi-liquid form. I think there were around 3 shower cubicles and the one nearest the pipes gave you the best chance of warding off hypothermia.

Still from that self same gym, the running club met and pounded the streets of Towhead and other more frightening suburbs to return to that choice of showers. Two guys from that running club, ended up at the Montreal Olympics in 1976. Frank Clements finished around 5th place in the 1500metres and a guy called Lawrie something from Greenock made either the 10000 metres or Marathon team for that Olympics.

I was glad when the spanking new facilities were opened at the corner of John Street and Cathedral Street during my 2nd year at Uni- what a difference. I believe those “new” facilities were replaced by a new build sports Campus in the past few years.

Kids today have it too soft- no hypothermia or dettoll and scrubbing brush motivations to improve at their sport😀😀

JimmynotPaul
March 27, 2023 5:04 pm

Rebus. 3.07.
Plenty of pictures of Humza, online, wearing his Celtic hoodies and a wearing a Celtic top with Yousaf on the back.
However, whether or not, that makes him a good politician is entirely a different matter. 😁💚
I’m fairly sure, that his story of his Grandparents arriving here, as immigrants, resonates with many of our own circumstances..

JimmynotPaul
March 27, 2023 5:12 pm

McCaff. 11.35.
That has me laughing, thanks buddy.😂😂

SteveNaive
March 27, 2023 5:15 pm

JimDom

Willie Haughey has more than a passing and passive interest, in the team with successive promotions, likely to come up…
Queens Park

JimmynotPaul
March 27, 2023 5:23 pm

This is fabulous.
From Twitter.
After 3 long days of processing through 350 Gb of pictures, I am extremely happy to release this reel, which showcases the auroral result of the strongest geomagnetic storm in nearly 6 years over northern Norway 3 nights ago 🤯 https://t.co/gu4eB4eLMn

CocoChannel C.s.c
March 27, 2023 5:49 pm

Used to play at the Shoot fives in Ayr when Johnny Hubbard ran it. Sometimes Johnny played for us when we were a man short. I always remember one time we were in the bar afterwards most of us wearing our Hoops and we asked Johnny about the situation in South Africa. I always remember the answer he gave with a twinkle in his eye he said” The black man is a fine man but it is the Catholic black man you have to watch” lol. Good man put a lot back into local football. Hope that no mark Tavpen doesn’t overtake his penalty scoring record think he only ever missed one for the old rangers

Craig76
March 27, 2023 6:36 pm

JNP
Regarding the Kyogo documentary, a Japanese Celtic supporter is going to upload the footage to his YouTube channel and add subtitles to it in the next couple of days

MAGUA
Was the pub called the Smugglers ?

SFTB
March 27, 2023 6:38 pm

BBC has a listing of possible candidates to take over at Spurs in the summer – Ange is not one of them. Maybe we can relax- the BBC would not get this wrong, would they?

Magua
March 27, 2023 6:58 pm

Craig76

That’s the very pub , Craig. Is it still there?

Hail Hail.

March 27, 2023 7:01 pm

I’ve told this before but in 1964 Glasgow Green had yet to upgrade from black ash/clinker to red blaes.

Had it been a Monty Python sketch and I had said ” red blaes meant skint knees ” , the reply would have been “You were lucky, we played on black ash and clinker, every game was stinker, the parks wiz too narra we went hame in a barra.

And so it came to pass in 1965 I went to London to join The Post Office Savings Bank to transfer with it back to Cowglen, Glasgow in 1966.

However when I turned up for work I was approached by a Scotsman called Jock (folk in the POSB were not known for their imagination) and asked if I played football. It was an ” Is the Pope a Catholic?” question.

I was given instructions how to get to Acton Town public parks using London Underground. I remember walking into the park seeing how green grass was everywhere and wondering “where’s the black ash pitches?.”

I got stripped and was told pitch was to the left and left again on leaving pavilion. “Ah that explains it” I thought “ash pitches are out of sight around the corner”.

I trot round to be met with fields of grass with goal posts scattered all around. Back I trot to dressing room and ask where the ash pitches are, at which point everyone stopped whatever they were doing, tying laces, pulling up socks or Brylecreeming their hair and asked “What do you mean, black ash?”

I explained as they listened incredulously and they kindly explained that the big wide grass pitches was where I would be playing.

The game kicks off and I get a pass about chest height which I chest down and turn quickly expecting to hear the sound of whoosh as I was launched skywards ,but the nearest opposition player was about 6 feet or more away. Being a tanner baw player (short for other guys could get hurt but no me) I looked at Jock our manager on the touchline and shouted “Yer gonnae need another baw”

I think I waltzed past at least 5 opposition players in one mazy to lay on a goal.

Those were oasis days before I returned to Glasgow to be introduced to a Mould Master on a freezing red blaes pitch in Barmulloch.

When I say I was introduced I mean my haw maws. They took the full brunt of a wild clearance that let me stagger past the goalie, score from the narrowest of angles as I fell to the ground then left the field of play for five minutes to find out where my testicles had gone.

March 27, 2023 7:07 pm

My caravan was above Croy Shore facing NI so it was never a day trip to catch a game. We used Setanta who were in an exclusive position to focus on any on park incident they chose in order to create post match debate.

That has since become normal part of TV broadcasting that keeps so called pundits in a job.

Football has adopted the same approach more recently but call it VAR.

March 27, 2023 7:09 pm

MAGUA
It’s still there according to google, not a pub i’ve ever been in

Magua
March 27, 2023 7:17 pm

Craig76

That’s good to hear. I liked the pub, as it reminded me of the Aragon on Byres Road. Old fashioned wooden interior, with big barrells for tables. A real pleasant place to spend an afternoon.

Hail Hail.

BelmontBrian63
March 27, 2023 7:32 pm

Evening all.

March 27, 2023 7:01 pm

Being hit in the ‘Toy Dolls’ by a Mould Master in inclement weather, the cry would come up, ‘don’t rub them, count them’. 🙂

Brian

March 27, 2023 7:35 pm

COYGIG

Magua
March 27, 2023 7:43 pm

BelmontBrian63

Evening, Brian.

Hail Hail.

March 27, 2023 7:46 pm

EVENING ALL and JIM there has been some terrific posts on today ,cap doffed to you all ,FFS I cant compete with you lovely wordsmiths, so here is a wee scottish quiz, as its my home country bottles of bells and some barrs irn bru for the correct answers😎
1 there was a series called budgie in the early seventies adam faith played budgie, but what was the name of the scottish actor who played charlie endell
2 dr finlays case book was a series broadcast on bbc in the sixties what was the name of the fictional village used in the series,
3 this scottish actor was born in airdrie and attended st aloysius college in glasgow, he was nominated for an academy award for his performance in flight of the phoneix in 1965 with james stewart and richard Attenborough..good luck all.hh

BelmontBrian63
March 27, 2023 7:47 pm

MAGUA

Right back at you my friend.

Hope you are keeping well.

International break, torture.

Was out a ramble today with Big Joe, he sends his regards.

Jimbo67
March 27, 2023 7:59 pm

Big Packy

1. Iain Cuthbertson
2. Tannochbrae
3. Ian Bannen

Jimbo

Magua
March 27, 2023 8:03 pm

BelmontBrian63

Cheers, mate. Tell big Joe that I said howdy. Looking forward to Sunday. At least I am for now. During the gemme, I will be my usual shoite-bag self. 😀

Big Packy.

Great questions, but unfortunately I do not have a scooby as to any of the answers.

Hail Hail.

March 27, 2023 8:22 pm

JIMBO67 what can i say ,all correct answers, cyber bottles on there way, well done👍

March 27, 2023 8:25 pm

HI MAGUA dont worry, even i didnt know the answers ,wee joan had to tell me them🤩🤩 hope you are well👍

Jimbo67
March 27, 2023 8:30 pm

Big Packy

Slainte.

Jimbo

March 27, 2023 8:30 pm

Ireland v France is a hard watch !!!!!

No saves from either goalie and it’s 40 minutes gone.

0-0

Magua
March 27, 2023 8:34 pm

Big Packy

Cheers, Packy. Love to Joan.

Hail Hail.

March 27, 2023 8:40 pm

JIMBO67👍

IniquitousIV
March 27, 2023 8:45 pm

SFTB
It’s a day for memories right enough. I remember that Taylor Street gym well…..
—————————————
You have a good memory! I don’t remember the 2 bar heater, but I do remember my breath freezing inside. The Cambria football team used to do training session there, and each night would go out for a long run. The trainer made sure we always did at least one northbound run up each of John St, Montrose St, North Portland Street and the High Street. We were pretty warm when we got back!

One thing I remember is that on the other side of the net divide, Strathclyde’s weight lifting team would be training, including one giant of a man called Dougie Edmunds. There were very few of them, and they would josh that we were weaklings. One night, Dougie made the cardinal error of bench pressing while his spotter had stepped out of the main gym. One of out lads heard him gasping, “Bit of help here lads.”
The barbell with enormous weights on it was across his chest, and he had done one rep too many and couldn’t lift it up. It took 4 of the biggest lads in our team to get it high enough for him to wriggle out from underneath. After that, he was a lot more polite to us!

IniquitousIV
March 27, 2023 8:47 pm

Haksabanovic in midfield against a very good Serbia team.

March 27, 2023 8:53 pm

just looking at the background photo of paul mcstay thanks to ASWGL, who is a former st augustines pupil like myself ,was going to say never seen paul mcstay playing as i lived in Liverpool at the time, but then I remembered watching a scotland schoolboys v england schoolboys, and one player was head and shoulders above the rest, it was only later that I found out his name was paul mcstay.hh

March 27, 2023 9:08 pm

JIMBO67,BIGPACKY

I got Iain Cuthbertson and Ian Bannen. Would never have got Tannochbrae. Some going to know them.

Chalmersbhoy
March 27, 2023 9:11 pm

Test.

March 27, 2023 9:21 pm

BOBBY👍😎

March 27, 2023 9:24 pm

BIGPACKY

Fantastic background,and very grateful to ASWGL as usual. I suspect that ATHINGOFBEAUTY is trying to figure out how to get it as the screenshot on her phone!

Paul was and is her favourite player. Justifiably so.

March 27, 2023 9:30 pm

Celtic Wummin…who’ve been pure rubbish, score in the 99th minute to level the game! The Staunch are looking gutted!! 😁😁😁

Jimbo67
March 27, 2023 9:32 pm

Jeez

Just turned over from Randall and Hopkirk. Women’s match v Rangers. Penalty shout for Celtic but free kick to Hunettes. Deep in injury time. Plus ca change. Mind you we just equalised. Fracas on pitch. Les dames est les Celts aussi.

Jimbo

Apologies to Miles Kington and my chum Jac.

March 27, 2023 9:33 pm

BOBBY, scrolling back this morning from last night, used to pass goodwood racecourse a couple of times a week, on my way to Portsmouth on the A27, well think it was that road, the old memory sometimes plays tricks😎 but you know what ,the sun was always shining ,thought i was in ardrossan 😎 sorry sol😎

March 27, 2023 9:37 pm

Jimbo… Celtic Wummin had a clear penalty shout in the first half too. The one in the second half was a foul on Flint, the striker but the ref saw it as a foul on the TWRFC centre back, god knows what he thinks he saw! Celtic Wummin were rubbish throughout but it’s a vital point keeping the Tim’s in 2ns place in the table behind Glasgow City. My big Argy pal, who I’ve mentioned here before helps out with the Wummin so I’m delighted for him!!

Jimbo67
March 27, 2023 9:42 pm

My mum was a massive fan of AJ Cronin so question 2 was the easy one!

Jimbo

McCaff. Was flicking into game- Monday is my University Challenge then over to a nostalgia channel night as a rule- but I like Fran and the Ghirls too.

March 27, 2023 9:43 pm

Wiz that the hun manager putting the heed into the celtic manager at the end?

SFTB
March 27, 2023 9:44 pm

It was an assistant manager- not Malky- should get a hefty ban ……

or promoted to be in charge of Var on the 8th April

bada Bing 1
March 27, 2023 9:45 pm

Huns coach head butts the Celtic Head Coach at FT,aanimals….

March 27, 2023 9:51 pm

Not only a filthy Hun but a pure feckin coward, stickun’ the nut in the back of a guy’s head! Wtf! Yip, a hefty ban called for for that kinda behaviour. Big Dunky got the jail for similar! 😱😁😁😁

March 27, 2023 9:52 pm

well thats me for the night, been lovely reading back,,GNAGB ALL, jim if your lurking, get back on here ,we are all missing you,,and that is a true story👍

bada Bing 1
March 27, 2023 9:58 pm

Nothing will happen to the scumbag

March 27, 2023 10:03 pm

I think they’ll throw the book at him BADA! The Wummin’s game is a thriving, growing family sport. That neddish, cowardly behaviour will lead to that fud being made an example of! Too much made about it by the TV production for it to be swept under the astroturf!!