Ange. He Never Stops

I finished my first article of the week on Tuesday with OMG,how lucky are we to have Ange? I’ll start my third article of the week with the same observation. I got two texts yesterday which suggested that I search out his interview about leadership on Celtic TV. One of our valued contributors here told me where to find it. My grateful thanks to all three of them for that.

It’s worth checking out,that’s for sure. We don’t just have a legend in the making here,we have a very humble one. Someone who recognises that the fans place considerable trust in the progress of their club. That recognises that he is dealing on a daily basis with players at different stages in their careers,who come from different backgrounds and cultures.

Who knows that those players almost definitely dreamed “since they were 7 or 8yo” of making a living from the game,who want to be the best that they can be. When asked how he manages those many players,it is by treating them as individuals,but also as part of a team. No-one ever won tournaments in football as an individual,even if it is true that some get the plaudits more than others.

It reminded me of Eric Cantona’s famous description of Didier Deschamps,his international colleague,as a water carrier. That wasn’t intended as an insult,though many people read it that way. It was a compliment,a recognition that even the best players in the world need others to do the dirty work.

That’s a recognition that Ange fully understands. It’s a recognition that he clearly makes plain to his squad,and probably on a daily basis. No stars in this squad. They are either all stars,or none of them are. Someone doesn’t turn up for work one day,doesn’t put his shift in,then everybody suffers.

The question that struck me most,and the answer he gave? It was about his “secret” to leadership. Seems there isn’t one. That you have to be yourself. If you follow the example of,say,Alex Ferguson,you won’t succeed. Try to be Alex Ferguson,see where it gets you.

Because you aren’t Alex Ferguson. You can only ever be you. Did I mention being humble?

We really have a gem in this man. I’ve no idea really whose idea it was that he should be our manager less than two years ago,when we were at our lowest ebb since Barnes and Dalglish. No idea who decided that they should give the job to a guy from nowhere who effectively told them to bin their ideas for the likes of a Director of Football etc,he was taking total control. I suspect that it was Dominic McKay though who put his full faith in him,realised just what we had,and for that he will have my eternal gratitude.

Ange has rebuilt the club from the bottom up. Put a new scouting network in place. New coaching staff. Youth staff. All his own work,and pretty much cash neutral when you think about fees and players,in and out.

I admit to googling him on his appointment. I don’t think there are many people in football need to google him now. A few who regret their knee-jerk reactions to his appointment. We have a man who did what Martin O’Neill did when he joined,who did it
when we needed it. He has given us back our pride-even if that’s a word that Ange would never use.

Oh,and he rips the piss out of the press too. And in such a pleasant way!

OMG,how lucky are we to have Ange? Watch the interview. There’s your answer.

March 31, 2023 12:37 am

Winner and runner up in the TWISTY Naps competition,COSYCORNERBHOY and ST TAMS,have donated their winnings to charity. Congratulations to three people making an effort. And giving us forty weeks of fun along the way.

TWISTY being just that kinda guy has offered up another competition,for April only. Including the 3-day Aintree jamboree. Details in the link,donations at your discretion.

The TWISTY Magnificent Seven.

March 31, 2023 12:44 am

TWISTY

I’ve put a score on Preston and Middlesbrough to win tomorrow. £68 if it comes up. As discussed-if it does!-that’s a score for next week,one in hand for when I screw up and have another go,and the remaining £28 to charity.

Worth a try. It could run and run. Or I fall flat on my face! I’ll enjoy it anyway.

March 31, 2023 12:45 am

JOBO POTY Competition

sencelpoty@gmail.com

March 31, 2023 12:52 am

March 31, 2023 7:23 am

Morning all,

Only 2 guesses in for Sunday’s Team !!!

Thanks Chalmersbhoy and JNP,

Mine is
Joe
Big Al
CCV
Carl
Greg
Cal
Matt
Iwata
Haksa
Kyogo
Jota – On the wing 🎵🎵

Let’s see some more guesses 👍

Cheers to Twisty for organising Naps competition and well done to everyone who donated to charity 👏👏👏👏👏

March 31, 2023 7:36 am

LEGGY

Sorry,mate. I’ll go for

Hart

Johnston CCV Starfelt Bernabei

CalMac Mooy Reo

Jota Kyogo Haksabanovic

CFC
March 31, 2023 7:43 am

Ange’s other leadership attributes are his ruthlessness, empowerment of and trust in his players, and clear communication which extends to the passion he has in his relationship with the support and the dismissive way he handles the feck(ng)less media.

Your back five behind-
Calmac Matt Reo
JF Kyogo Jota

Hoop hoop hooray
March 31, 2023 7:44 am

Bobby
Not convinced it was dominic mckay. He seens to have been sourced from within the City group and subsequent rhetoric has impliied that it was lawwells parting gift at the time. I dont know how much of it was down to due diligence and how much of it was desperation but yes we are very very lucky.

I have only heard him have one moan at our men in suits when he complained shortly after his arrival that transfer processed were too slow. Mckay left very shortly after. Coincidence? Maybe. Who knows.

Bottom line though is he is universally loved by the support. That is rare in itself.

March 31, 2023 8:52 am

Good morning, friends and a Big Happy Friday to all who post or lurk on this fine site.
Bobby, I’ve already said on record that I cannot ever remember a time where I felt that just about everything connected with Celtic was all good, from Anges weekly presses, the style of play, the fans in the stands and Triggers Broom self imploding again! We must treasure these moments.

Leggy – good suggestion but difficult to second guess Ange. So, not who I HOPE starts, but who I THINK Ange will start –
Hart
Johnston, CCV, Kuboyashi, Taylor
McGregor, Mooy, Iwata
Jota, Kyogo, Haksabanovic

Uber Feenyin
March 31, 2023 8:57 am

From a few days ago, Jimbo67:

Great comment, from the heart, and well proposed. I disagree, in only that I still like the man, a lot. To be fair, could any professional footballer match your love of Celtic you lovely big legend 🤷‍♂️😁🤣

In other news, if SC will kindly indulge me, again I’m the Canman fan club. Great work. TET too. The snide, meaningless comments are exactly what kills traffic…and, er, that small thing called discussion…

How do you educate such people? 🤷‍♂️

This has been Uber Pissdyin, reporting from a dank but warming North Lanarkshire butt end of one of the north Clyde estuaries.

Back to you in the studio.

Edit : Hot dammit: this was the intended link ffs.

Damn hun gremlins.

March 31, 2023 9:06 am

JOBO

Trigger’s broom. Always makes me laugh,that one.

There’s a scene from a late episode of Roseanne where an older version of their kid,DJ,is pictured in a psychiatric hospital. Viewers may recall that the older daughter Becky had seen a replacement actress take the part,only to be herself replaced by the original one.

DJ is constantly muttering to himself. “They say she’s the same,but she’s not the same.”

Madmitch
March 31, 2023 9:57 am

AP arriving in G40 — there was no hugely complicated plan.
It was a bit of desperation / needs must after EH decided that the job was not for him.
He was available / wanted to come / cheap / PL and the ManC angle meant we knew a bit about him.
To PL and the board he was RD Mk2 — with added life experience and a bit of maturity.
Manager first a foremost not a coach who had to step up.

To me — AP is a manager first and coach second.
That is why the quality of the coaching staff around him is so important.
HK was a much needed addition and hopefully there are more to come.

Plus AP made much needed changes to the B team coaching pool.
To to his credit focused on the first team when he arrived because he had to.
But he has expanded his involvement as things have stabilised up top.

Seems to be the Scottish way starting in the 50’s / 60’s with MB / BS / our own JS and moving on to AF.
BS had the “Boot Room” and AF has changed his assistants like my wife with her winter coats.
All very good — ie expensive — but some last longer than others.
But all were quality and expected to deliver.

AP vs Us = almost perfect fit.
He is a good coach with a growth agenda in an environment where growth has been criminally neglected.
He has done more in 18 months in challenging circumstances — total squad overhaul was needed — than PL managed in 18 years.
AP was hired for his footballing abilities and the growth angle came at no cost.
PL was paid a king’s ransom for 18 years and delivered nothing but stagnation and excuses.

AP has the personality to make things happen / the good ideas that make him credible / the appetite to make the most of our circumstances. The board got a lot more than they bargained for when they hired him — how they respond will define where we go from here.

If the board / CEO / Chairman get jealous of AP’s abilities then we will all lose. If they allow him to get on with the job within agreed budgeting / responsibility parameters –m well they can sit back and start planning the new main stand.

Pebble in the pond time — 90K seater ground is possible by 2035.
If we get the Main Stand right then the North Stand would be next.

Supply of quality sushi / space for barbies would be more of a challenge …
As KC never actually said — play great football on the park and they will come.
135K used to be the benchmark so it is not a pipedream.

Madmitch
March 31, 2023 10:01 am

BMCUW — Have you change the formatting rules for comments?
The main article looks different and my recent post has no breaks in it.

March 31, 2023 10:13 am

MM

WordPress updates such as last night-thankfully taken care of,as ever,by ASWGL-really screw with our settings. In the case of your comment,the formatting is back to normal by clicking the “read more” option.

March 31, 2023 10:19 am

Morning all…Bobby, not sure everything’s back to normal yet. I’m still having to refresh to get new comments, they’re not appearing in yellow above existing comments as they usually would. I know ASWGL will have a look later so no rush 👍

Madmitch
March 31, 2023 10:29 am

Thanks for the update.
Thought I had broken the blog …
IT stuff was just so long ago.

Madmitch
March 31, 2023 10:40 am

When AP arrived and like most I didn’t recognise the name — the only thing that stood out was the fact that he had been the Aus NT manager back in the day before he made the move to Japan.

With this knowledge my only issue / red flag related to the old chat surrounding TR from an Aus NT manager and his need to move clubs.

Was AP the Aus NT manager who had made the comments?

The effort that he put in when he arrived meant that I never actually looked for a definitive answer.

bada Bing 1

Jota
Haksabanovic

Jimbo67
March 31, 2023 11:25 am

Morning all

UBER FEENYIN

Thanks for comments. I am sure there are many here who love the Celts as much as I do. As for Neil Lennon I wonder if he will become somebody who becomes permanently estranged from the club as Lou Macari and, perhaps and through his own choice, Pat Crerand seem to have become

MAD MITCH

Not sure about going as high as 90,000 but I’d quite like to see a substantial revamp of the main stand that would increase capacity to c75, 000 although any such revamp may be more easily discussed than accomplished. I do though think that there is far less difficulty in doing something with the environs of the stadium. Not so long ago the museum / hall of fame was suggested and the indications were that the construction of these things would follow soon. Nothing has been built.

Even more of a pet peeve is that the Women’s team (and the B Team) play home matches in the stadium of another professional clubs miles from Glasgow. A 6-8000 capacity arena purpose built and within the city which would become the established home of these teams- the B Team will probably never capture the imagination but in the current climate the Women’s team might. I think we own acres of land at Barrowfield – put it to good use.

Team for Sunday

Hart
Johnston, Starfelt, Carter Vickers, Bernabei
Mooy, Hatate, McGregor
Jota, Kyogo, Haksabanovic

Jimbo

Frodshambhoy
March 31, 2023 11:36 am

Good stuff ✅
Will post my team tomorrow.
If HK Madmitch mentions is Harry Kane he will start for me.

The Real McCoy
March 31, 2023 12:04 pm

ENJOY THE SILENCE
No wonder there has been complete silence from all concerned at the Southside ClubCompany regarding the recent assault by one of their employees after a SWPL match involving their team.
A new sponsorship arrangement has just been announced.

The Scottish Women’s Premier League have announced a new partnership with Rangers chairman Douglas Park’s Motor Group, who will become an official partner of the SWPL.
The deal will run until the end of the 2025/26 season. As part of this new agreement, Park’s Motor Group will also become the title sponsor of the SWPL and SWPL 2 for the remainder of the 2022/23 season.

SWPL Managing Director, Fiona McIntyre, said: “We’re thrilled to have Park’s Motor Group on board. They are huge supporters of the Scottish game, with significant history of investing in Scottish football, and in particular the women’s game in recent times.
“This is another significant milestone for the women’s game here in Scotland, and is the first time in the history of the game that the leagues and the cup have both had title sponsorship. This illustrates the continued growth and progress of the game here in Scotland and the desire for companies to align themselves in the long term with the girls’ and women’s game.”

A Park’s Motor Group spokesperson said: “Park’s are proud of our association with Scottish Football over the last fifty years. We are delighted to continue our support of the women’s game and we look forward to working with Fiona and her team at the SWPL to help grow the league.”
Sentinel Celts has approached Park’s Motor Group for a comment concerning the recent assault and asked if the worldwide consternation and outrage at the incident would affect their sponsorship.
Park’s Motor Group has yet to respond.

Enjoy The Silence –
They can only do harm

Just Can’t Get Enough—😂

DepecheModeCSC 🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬
HH💚🍀

ASWGL
March 31, 2023 12:24 pm

I’m at work just now (we never stop), but i will take a look at the site settings when i get home. 😁

I know how to fix the read more option, but the show new comments in yellow is hidden in the settings somewhere deeper than BRRB,s pockets 🤣

Madmitch
March 31, 2023 12:33 pm

J67 @ dreams central

New main stand is desperately needed.
Magic number for the new capacity would be 67,525 — could be total / excl free pie seats / number of season tickets.
The main thing would be that the number was real and represented something.
Plus space to increase the capacity if required — tourists / CL games / our friends in Govan.
Pretty basic stuff — the challenge would be the new facilities / hospitality / non football offer included.

Future proofing — the North Stand is a very tight fit as FMcG found out as the proximity to the graveyard cost him money.
So my thoughts are that any new Main Stand should be built 15M to the south of its existing position so that when the time comes any North Stand rebuild will have more space to work with — no more roof supports / breaks in the seating pattern as we now have.

That would mean that both the JS and LL stands would need to be extended south by 15M approx to fill in the gap — simple copy and paste job so the costs should be containable.

JS / LL stands / 15M extension south = two extra bays / 2 extra roof trusses to the existing structure.

The pitch would be moved 7.5M south to offer the best views until the North Stand rebuild in 2035’ish timeframe meant that it was moved the full 15M.

Main point would be that we aim for flexibility and we do not paint ourselves into a corner.

Compare and contrast with the situation with NU — EH and his growth agenda has them screaming out for more seats.
Unfortunately they have very little space available as their last major expansion — to the north and west 20 years ago did not think long term and plan to address heir issues in the east where a Grade A Georgian terrace behind their oldest / smallest stand limits their options.

We should not make the same mistake.

Madmitch
March 31, 2023 12:34 pm

Apologies for the Read more aspect of the last post.

No room for B team / Museum / Gallery chat.

Later.

Magua
March 31, 2023 12:53 pm

Excellent stuff today. Carrying on last night’s conversation about Ibrox pubs. When I was a mental health support worker based in the Ibrox flats, I had an elderly client who enjoyed a game of pool in The Stadium Bar, as it was. On my first visit there I was a tad apprehensive, as I had never been in a Loyalist pub in my life. I knew one or two of the customers, as it turned out. They knew that I was a Tim. Fortunately enough, nobody gave my wee secret away. Phew!

Hail Hail.

SFTB
March 31, 2023 1:24 pm

Around 30 or so still to trap on the Superbru competition for this weekend. Deadline 3pm tomorrow.

Magua
March 31, 2023 1:30 pm

I’ve just started reading a potentially excellent book at the minute.

‘Rule Nostalgia:A Backwards History Of Britain’ by Hannah Woods.

Apparently, the historian, and classics professor Mary Beard was subjected to online abuse, after pointing out that black people had existed in Roman Britain. Many people disputed this theory. Author Woods has this to say on the subject:

“People do not react with anger like this, unless maintaining the same old narrative is of deep importance to them.”

Hmmm. Interesting. The above, goes a long way in explaining why certain people in this country, get upset and angry, whenever the true fact of the liquidation of Rangers in 2012 is pointed out.

Hail Hail.

maccargo
March 31, 2023 2:41 pm

The gaffer’s press conference from earlier today…

March 31, 2023 2:59 pm

Test

March 31, 2023 3:00 pm

Site back to normal I believe.

Leggy ,,,

Jamesie

MothersOfInventionCSC 🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬
HH💚🍀

Twisty
March 31, 2023 4:06 pm

Bobby
Info received and transfer to CCB made.

Thanks

Jimbo67
March 31, 2023 4:34 pm

So he did not see it live. Or at all. But knows it’s out of character. Cnut.

Jimbo

March 31, 2023 4:40 pm

TWISTY

Good man. Good cause too. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!!

Thank you.

March 31, 2023 4:42 pm

JIMBO67

First statement o’clock,nearly a week later. Basically nothing to see here. Hey,it’s what they are. Shameless.

Auldbhoy67
March 31, 2023 5:03 pm

Beale and the people of the lost tribe of the Amazon now have something in common. Neither have seen the headbutt. What a prick. Really that just shows his total disregard for anything outside Ibrox. Just say no comment instead of talking nonsense. He must think it gets him brownie points with the hoardes . Total buffoon. Bring on next weekend. I cannae contain my excitement much longer.

Frodshambhoy
March 31, 2023 5:21 pm

Beale apparently also said this in his presser:

“There are no restrictions on budget, there is money to spend in the summer – it’s a good amount, I think, for a Rangers manager, compared to what I’ve seen in previous years. I’m really positive about the summer.”

That has the makings of another Sentinelcelts competition. How much is “a good amount.”

March 31, 2023 5:26 pm

With all these positive noises coming out of the bigotdome, you would think their ST renewals are soon 🤷‍♂️

March 31, 2023 5:27 pm

Vaughan turns up to defend himself in Cricket hearing,innocent, other 5 didn’t bother,guilty…..now call me cynical….

March 31, 2023 5:30 pm

FRODSHAMBHOY

Hmmm,let me think. They have another four home games left. What’s the deposits on the empties worth these days?

ASWGL
March 31, 2023 5:37 pm

Hubba hubba hubba ……..just testing…. ignore my inane ramblings.

On yonder hill there stood a dookit
It’s noa there noo, coz someone took it.

Magua
March 31, 2023 5:53 pm

Frodshambhoy

I wonder if the famous Craig Whyte £1 coin is in the Ibrox trophy room? There’s your starter for 10 for the great re-build. Isn’t it funny that all this pish is coming out of Ibrox when season ticket renewal time is due?

Hail Hail.

A Supporter Who Got Lucky
March 31, 2023 5:55 pm

Think the site is now back to normal, I edited your fine leader BMCUW (to put the youtube clip in the leader) and another fine leader it was, we are indeed lucky fenians 👍

Craig76

ASWGL

👍👍👍

March 31, 2023 6:46 pm

BelmontBrian63
March 31, 2023 7:06 pm

Evening all.

Can I pass on my good wishes to Mrs BRRB (St M), today is her last day of work, I hope she has a happy retirement, may it be long and restful.

Brian

Hoop hoop hooray
March 31, 2023 7:22 pm

TRM
So apart from explaining the silence…..the SWPL is now sponsored by the chairman of a club that plays in it.

By the way David Brent claiming he hadn’t seen the headbutt and being alllowed to go unchallenged at his press conference takes the cringey lies from that place to another level. Bit like Boris and Trump. Say them often enough….

ASWGL
March 31, 2023 7:26 pm

Craig 76 loved that wee guy 👍

There are similarities between him and the guy in the topic of our leader, both virtually unknown when they arrived in Scotland, and ridiculed, before they even got started. The wee man laughed at by Keevins and Traynor when ridiculing Celtics biscuit tin mentality of signing a 33yr old for £300k labeling the signing as a cut price embarrassment.

Of course Lubo like Ange had the last laugh, the wee man scoring his first goal for us against them and it only took him 12 minutes, and another one just 4 minutes into the second half.

HowsThatHumblePieTasteCSC ☘️