Debuts To Remember

Anyone who was on the site last night will know that INIQUITOUS IV does his best to keep us all updated on the various European matches as they progress. A damn fine job he has been doing too,and grateful thanks for that.

All the way from Washington DC,no less. Me,it’s as much as I can do to watch one game at a time! Wednesday night,for example was AC Milan v Napoli,and I have to say it was a fantastic game of football. Last night,my game of choice was Bayer Leverkusen v Union St Gilloise,plucky little challengers from Belgium.

Plucky little contenders,my arse. They are in the last eight on merit,and they let Leverkusen know that they had a task on their hands. 1-1 was probably a fair result,if hardly a fair reflection of a match which could have been 5-5. Real end to end stuff,and an outstanding match.

Wee Frimpers missed an absolute sitter in the last ten minutes. He had done all the hard work,lost his marker and got on the end of the cross at the far post. A header! What,has he been on growth hormones since he left us? Learned how to smuggle a ladder onto the pitch? Turns out that the wee fella has scored eight times this season already,with nine assists on top.

That’s not a bad return for a very young and very short right back,especially when you consider how competitive the Bundesliga is,plus of course any European tournament. Was I surprised at that stat? Oh yeah,better believe it. But I wasn’t surprised by how well he is doing,nor that he is being actively tracked by some of Europe’s biggest clubs. Asking price of £50m and upwards.

My sisters and I went to a “nothing” League Cup match against Partick Thistle,near the start of the 19/20 season. I thought we were playing the mascot at right back! Tiny wee lad. Well,it didn’t take us long to realise that A Star Is Born,we couldn’t stop raving about him! He was fast as f…,surprisingly robust in the tackle,certainly not scared to take a player on as he marauded forward. 18yo,wow. He’s still only 22yo,with the world at his feet perhaps. Never mind the sell-on fee,never mind that I don’t really GAF about former players-Frimpers didn’t ask for a move,the Leverkusen offer came from nowhere-I just think he has come on by leaps and bounds since his debut. And he was bloody outstanding then!

It got me to thinking about the various players from our illustrious past I have watched make their debut. For years,I thought that Kenny Dalglish’s debut was in the Frank Beattie testimonial at Kilmarnock. We won 7-2,he scored six. That would have been nice,but it wasn’t his debut. I’m sure I saw a lot of our really rather ordinary centre-halves from the eighties make their debut,in fact I know I did. I have flashbacks thinking about them. Not pleasant ones either.

There was Ronnie Glavin,who I loved as a player. Had the skill,scored plenty,could look after himself. Of course,I’d witnessed him putting Jinky out of the game early on in THAT 4-1 defeat,and I had no intentions of liking him. The bastert.  But what a player he was for us. I think we hammered Airdrie in his first game.

Strangely enough,a young colleague of mine down here came into work one night and asked if I could check the Barnsley score for him. A less Yorkshire sounding lad you could never meet. Turns out that he IS a Yorkshire lad,Barnsley no less,but his family moved to Oxford when he was a kid. And his Dad had done what all Dads should-make sure their son follows the right team! So I mentioned Ronnie Glavin to him,whom Ronnie joined when he left us.

The young fella couldn’t believe it. His Dad’s favourite ever player. Apparently a legend as a Barnsley player. That’s not bad. Legend at Thistle,legend at Barnsley. On his way to becoming close to one at Celtic till he screwed up. I bet he’s happy enough.

Another one is Peter Grant. SOLKITTS and I were in the enclosure at Ibrox,wondering who the wee blond fella was that was playing in midfield. About three minutes into the game,he damn near put Davie Cooper into The Centenary Stand. Aye,do for me. Peter was a far better player than most give him credit for,in my opinion. Gave everything he had for us. We canny all be Pele. Or Paul McStay. And not many are trusted enough to make their debut at 18yo at Ibrox.

Amongst their regular partners was Tommy Burns. Another who I went-who he? He had the most flame red hair I’ve ever seen,so he certainly stood out. His talent alone though would do that. Could open a can of beans with that wand of a left foot,and he had Celtic coursing through his veins. They don’t come much more local than Tommy. I don’t want to say too much about him as it still upsets me,except to say that he truly lived the dream. Such a pity that Dundee beat us 2-1 on his debut-he was a sub that day. He made up for that with happier memories often. And he gave us plenty too.

I’ll finish with maybe an off-the-wall memory. Not a good one,far from it. It was one of our worst results in probably the worst season in my lifetime. But the player became one of my favourites-that day,actually!-and a cult hero in time. We all remember Jock’s last season. Undone by the transfer of Kenny,the loss of such as Danny and Pat Stanton for the season,injuries for weeks at a time cropping up everywhere-I think the Ronnie Glavin court case happened that season too-and Jock was struggling.

Not helped much,of course,by Des White. He was poised to strike. Jock was forced to sign a player from Port Glasgow Juniors on the Monday-and play him on the Saturday at Easter Road! That is how far we had fallen that season,from double winners the season before. That’s how strapped Jock was for players. That’s how much help White was in a crisis.

We lost that match 4-1,notable for two things. The Hibs keeper booting Tom McAdam in the baws,and the debut of Mike Conroy. He was our best player that day as well,which ain’t bad going. I didn’t think he got the chances he deserved under Billy,but he still played often enough. Pretty much anywhere across the defence or as a midfield anchor,most of the crowd that I knew loved him. He particularly enjoyed himself against our soo’ side rivals. A flying elbow never goes amiss.

Anyway,I’ve prattled on long enough on this. I think I could write another five or six articles this length on debuts I’ve seen,but the reason for it is…

Tell us about the debuts you’ve seen over the years,the ones that you knew were gonna be stars. The ones that you knew weren’t. The ones that surprised you. Frimpong certainly surprised me four years ago,and it seems he is still doing it. Eight goals and nine assists? Bloody hell.

April 14, 2023 12:10 am

TWISTY Napsters.

A reminder that ONE selection is needed for each day at Aintree this week.

Napsters follow the link

April 14, 2023 12:10 am

JOBO POTY Competition

sencelpoty@gmail.com

The Real McCoy
April 14, 2023 12:19 am

For Auldheid—
David Grier.
A BUSINESS expert who was detained during a doomed Rangers fraud probe is planning to take his multi-million-pound compensation claim to Britain’s highest court.
David Grier, 60, told on Wednesday of how he is instructing his lawyers to go to the UK Supreme Court to continue his long-running legal battle against Scottish prosecutors.

He is seeking compensation from the Lord Advocate Dorothy Bain KC because he believes the prosecution against him was malicious and has damaged his ability to make a living.

On Wednesday, his advocate Roddy Dunlop KC failed to persuade appeal judges at Edinburgh’s Court of Session to grant him permission to proceed to the Supreme Court.

However, Mr Grier’s lawyers plan to approach the UK Supreme Court directly in the next few months.

Mr Grier, who comes from Barrhead, Renfrewshire, said: “I’m unfortunately not surprised that the Inner House have refused to allow us to appeal to the Supreme Court.

“However, we do intend to take the matter directly to the Supreme Court.”

The Court of Session has previously heard how Mr Grier was taken into custody during an investigation into alleged criminal wrongdoing at the club.

Detectives and prosecutors believed that the lawhad been broken during the time the club was sold to businessman Craig Whyte.

Prosecutors claimed that Mr Grier participated in a fraud with Mr Whyte. They claimed that Mr Whyte broke the law by using cash from a firm called Ticketus to acquire the finance to buy Rangers.

Mr Grier was prosecuted alongside other men who were said to be involved in the alleged wrongdoing. However, everybody arrested during the probe was acquitted of any wrongdoing.

This prompted Mr Grier to launch a £7 million compensation action against the police and Crown Office, claiming his arrest had affected his ability to maintain his job in financial services.

Prosecutors previously admitted David Whitehouse and Paul Clark were wrongfully arrested and prosecuted – and the two men settled their action with both the Crown Office and Police Scotland with each of them receiving £10.3 million each – their legal bills, thought to be worth £3 million each, were also paid for.

Mr Grier’s lawyers told judge Lord Tyre at the Court of Session that both law enforcement agencies had acted maliciously against him, entitling him to compensation.

Lord Tyre also heard claims that the police officer leading the investigation – Detective Chief Inspector Jim Robertson – had acted inappropriately during the investigation.

Nevertheless, Lord Tyre ruled that Mr Grier’s lawyers hadn’t shown that the prosecution service had acted maliciously.

However, he said some of DCI Robertson’s evidence was “evasive” and “unreliable” and that some of his actions during the probe were “reprehensible”.

This prompted lawyers for Mr Grier to appeal to the Inner House of the Court of Session.

On Wednesday, Mr Grier’s lawyer Roddy Dunlop KC told civil appeal judges that the legal tests needed for the Court of Session to allow cases to go to the Supreme Court had been passed.

He told Lord Carloway Lord Pentland and Lord Woolman: “There is a genuine need for someone who has been caught up in such a scandal to have effective public remedy.

“There are good grounds available in this case to allow it to proceed.”

The Lord Advocate’s lawyer Gerry Moynihan KC said that he disagreed that the legal tests needed had been passed.

He added: “The question is whether there was an ulterior motive in prosecuting Mr Grier. The answer is that there is none. The prosecution was conducted in the reasonable belief that there was a reasonable belief that there was evidence available.

“Your lordships should not grant permission to proceed.”

Lord Carloway and his colleagues concluded that the tests needed for the case to proceed to the UK Supreme Court had not been passed.

“However, we do intend to take the matter directly to the Supreme Court.”

“There are good grounds available in this case to allow it to proceed.”

“Your lordships should not grant permission to proceed.”

PS. Sometimes when I can’t get access as a non-subscriber I clear my history and refresh the page. Works for me with The Herald.👍🏻
Not, however, with Bobby’s favourite New York Times 😢
HH 💚🍀

April 14, 2023 12:30 am

THEREALMCCOY

The New York Times is a treasure trove. Left of centre by US standards,but its world news is terrific.

I’ve subscribed to it for about five years-the only subscription I have. A whole £2 a month!

Margaret McGill
April 14, 2023 12:41 am

Grier was the one at the behest of Murray that told Whyte to use the Ticketus money to pay off Lloyds and subsequently buy the Huns for £1. Together with Duff and Phelps criminals Whitehouse and Clark they were all “embroiled” in the Rangers fraud case and at some point either arrested or detained. Long story short Whitehouse and Clark sued police Scotland and got £21m compensation from the Scottish taxpayer 2 years ago. Part of the conspiracy was to disassociate any knowledge of this between them and Grier and others. Now that the dust has settled Grier wants his £8m he feels he is due from the taxpayer. He will get it. All by design. Of course the only thing us Tims are worried about right now is the squad getting their cunts kicked in on the park for the next 2 hun games against an institution that shouldn’t even exist.

April 14, 2023 12:51 am

Can’t argue much with that,MAGS. Still,chill. This is playing on Planet Rock at the moment. Peace Frog.

April 14, 2023 6:23 am

Morning all,

Excellent lead article Bobby 👏👏👏

Regarding Kenny Dalglish, his first game for Celtic was a substitute appearance against Hamilton Accies in 2nd leg of League Cup tie, September 1968.

It was at Douglas Park and it was my first ever game 😀

As an aside, Celtic won the first leg 10 -0 with Chalmers and Lennox both scoring 5 each.

HH 🍀🍀🍀

ehoop hoop hooray
April 14, 2023 7:17 am

Good read on the debuts Bobby. I’ll give you a more recent one if a sub appearance counts as a debut. Karamokos second half debut against hearts. Absolutely ragdolled their left back. Left him for dead on several occasions. One of those occasions as he flew past he was dragged to the ground but got up and kept going. Advantage played and he nearly scored. Made the left back Aaron Hickey look like a muppet. If you had told me then a short few years later one would be in the premiership via serie A with international caps under his belt whilst the other barely got first team football I would have bet a loser

April 14, 2023 7:49 am

A couple spring to mind who scored on debut.

Barry Robson scored with his first touch, after coming on as a sub @Pittodrie, strangely enough.

Ramon Vega scored a double @ CP on debut …I think we won 6-0

Not Celtic but, anyone remember a player called Hans Gillhaus? On his debut for Aberdeen (@East end park, I think) I’m sure he scored a double, one of which was a spectacular bicycle kick.

April 14, 2023 8:07 am

Another one for me,

A certain George Cadette whose debut as a substitute against Aberdeen.

Scored a cracker when he came on,

Cracking signing and ;

Also a great bet for First Goalscorer coupons. Won a tidy wee sum with that bet £££££££££££

April 14, 2023 8:49 am

The Real McCoy re Grier

Thanks. If the case against Duff and Phelps was malicious and CW was found not guilty of fraud, I don’t see how Grier is not entitled to compensation.

April 14, 2023 8:59 am

Although in administration Elite where in court yesterday against the hun 👏.

The company is seeking £9.5m compensation from Rangers.

Its lawyers claim the club breached a contract which allowed the firm to provide the Glasgow team with kits.

April 14, 2023 8:59 am

I cannot be sure if they were debuts but I remember Bobby Murdoch making and early appearance at inside right against Hearts at CP. He was a stand out who stood out even further when moved into midfield.

I also remember John Hughes scoring his first senior goal v Third Lanark. I was behind the goal at Celtic end when he thundered in a header. He scored again in return leg of the LC group at Cathkin with a fierce shot after trampling of Thir’d’s Centre Half. Running rampart v Doug Baillie at Ibrox completed his debut hat trick.

I had the pleasure of reminding him of it, as if he needed it, at a gathering in Wimbledon CSC

I was lucky enough to be in at the start of two fabulous Celtic careers.

Madmitch
April 14, 2023 9:03 am

How things change as you get older.

If all a player has to offer is a flying elbow then what should be his sport?
WWE would be my guess.

PG — much better player than his reputation would suggest.
Unfortunately he knew he wasn’t PMcS and just played the pantomime villain / sidekick role.
He was better than that as his performances when PMcS was missing proved.

The transition between the results of 76/77 — the big picture was / is we were in something of a decline but we sure managed to get the results needed.

To 77/78 where the sale of KD confirmed what we all knew — the good times were over and we would have to start again from a pretty low base as the sticking plasters came unstuck.

Jimbo67
April 14, 2023 9:04 am

Morning all- day off today though working tomorrow.

Leggy mentions Kenny Dalglish’s debut coming on at Douglas Park in September 68. I was not at that one but just over a year later I saw Kenny’s first start (and league debut) which was a 7-1 win against Rath Rovers. He played in midfield and was as knackered as I have ever seen anyone at the end of a game. I was not sure about him but my dad said he would turn out to be a great player. He was not wrong

There have been some players who had less than glorious starts- most famously Henrik Larsson at Easter Road when he set up the winning goal for Hibs. ‘Worst ever’, ‘f*cking rubbish’ , ‘waste of money’ and ‘worse than Biggins’ were some of the verdicts I heard on my short walk home to my then home in Rossie Place. How wrong the unanimous verdict was.

I also remember being at a match with Dundee in March 2000. It was a midweek game and although our league challenge had already begun to fade there was still a huge crowd. We were 4 or 5 up early in the second half when a sub was brought on for his debut to huge acclaim. A defender. Dundee scored a fine goal before he got a touch. But he misplaced a couple of passes and was skinned easily by a visiting forward. An early verdict was delivered from behind me :

He’s hopeless.

This was not said in an angry, hectoring tone but with sadness mixed with disbelief. Normally such a brutally frank dismissal would lead to a few retorts of ‘gie the guy a chance’ but instead there was no dissent. The player had been heavily trailed as a serious talent , had cost a lot of money and there had been real excitement at the prospect of seeing him and yet within 5 minutes it was clear we had bought a turkey. He was Rafael Scheidt.

6 months later he made his 5th and last appearance for us in a league cup tie against Raith Rovers and when he actually beat an opponent on an overlap he got a big if somewhat ironic cheer.

And on the subject of debuts that Rovers match saw Alan Thompson make his first appearance. And right good he was that night and for most of his Celtic career. First appearances cannot always be trusted but with Rafael and with Thommo the initial verdicts were spot on.

Jimbo

April 14, 2023 9:22 am

MM

A Scottish football pitch was no place for shrinking violets back then. If you let people walk all over you,they damn well would.

Madmitch
April 14, 2023 9:25 am

JF in Jan 2021 — sold to balance the books.
My suspicion is that it allowed PL to collect his last bonus.
From memory — Ludge MIB worked him over on a regular basis.
The moves to win penalties must have been practiced all week with the diving coach.

April 14, 2023 9:25 am
Madmitch
April 14, 2023 9:27 am

If you thought football was rough back then egg chasing would have shocked you to the core.
If it passed a metal detector then it was allowed — stud sharpening was a science to many.

April 14, 2023 9:29 am

MM

I only did egg chasing at Easter. When I was a kid. Even that was a contact sport.

Madmitch
April 14, 2023 9:31 am

70’s ball winners — MC vs MMcC …
Both were tough / one could play football.
Not sure what happened but we picked some amount of SPL journeymen in the late 70’s.

The board sold half the QSG and then raided every bargain basement they could find.
From 72 onwards the board was only interested in hard cash.
Only spending if the crowds started to disappear.

Jimbo67
April 14, 2023 9:36 am

That was him- 5 of his appearances were in Friendlies I assume. 4-2 home loss to Bordeaux was one of them. Partnered Olivier Tebilly. There was a headline about their performance which you may recall but as it was from the Sun I won’t repeat it. A month later we were taking 6 off Rangers #1

Jimbo

April 14, 2023 9:50 am

Folks

I posted some information yesterday about the UEFA licensing cycle which runs in parallel with national club licensing ending with a question about which accounts had to be with SFA by 31st March or before SFA submitted the list of clubs granted to UEFA, usually near end of May.

Jobo Balde provided this answer (thank you) which should improve the level of understanding of the Licencing cycle.

Thanks for the link, Auldheid.

. Some really Anorak level detail provided in those guidelines which I really like, saddo that I am. As for the requirement to provide a copy of the accounts for “…the period ended 2022” I presume that just means each individual Clumpany’s annual accounts, regardless of what their actual year end date is? I know that Scotland’s 2 best supported clubs draw up their annual accounts to 30 June. And I understand that most other clubs also use that date as it ties in neatly with a close season end date. So, it is those accounts that have to be supplied to the SFA by the following 31 March.

If I’m right in that I don’t understand what all the recent talk has been, as if Sevco hadn’t provided their accounts yet? Those accounts were filed at Companies House on 31 December 2022.

I don’t see anything in the SFA regulations suggesting that Clubs also have to produce any updated (i.e. more recent) statements?

Auldheid – I’ve now seen your post on Sentinel Celts and the further link that covers the ‘interim accounts’ requirement. My reading of that is that if any Clumpany’s annual accounts are drawn up to a year end date of 30 SEPTEMBER or earlier, they must also prepare audited interim accounts covering a period to 31 December. So, yes, for Celtic and Sevco, interim accounts covering the period from 1/7/22 to 31/12/22 had to go to the SFA by 31/3/23.

To which I replied.

Cheers Jobo..

That unfankles the knot for me. Back in 2011 it was in The Interim Accs RFC lied about the status of the WTC liability that stopped being potential and became a payable on 21st March and that has always been at the back of my mind.

That both annual and Interims have to be provided makes sense since changes can occur between June and Dec.

Generally FSR wants to work with the latest financial info possible in order to protect their competion from charlatans hiding their insolvent position to then use UEFA income from qualifying for CL to pay for the player wages that risk insolvency.

Summing up the SFA Licensing Adminstraiion with a suitably experienced licensing manager in charge do audits throughout the year to check that grounds are up to standard Gold, Silver, Bronze etc along with other licensing requirements all set out in SFA manual but in readiness for the next season licensing round start the ball rolling on meeting the legal and financial requirements at 31st March using annual and interim accounts from previous year to inform decisions to grant a licence in April before informing UEFA sometime in May.

The publication of audited accounts on Company House matters less in licensing terms as long as SFA have audited accounts by 31st March for previous year.

Publishing on CH though does give the public a look at how healthy or otherwise a company is being run.

Thanks again for your help Jobo.

The Gombeen Man
April 14, 2023 10:06 am

Auldheid,

Grier was closer to the Ticketus deal.

Evidence existed through Phillip Betts ( a business partner of Whyte who gave evidence for the Crown) and through Grier’s attendance at a presentation by Whyte to Oldco directors including Alistair Johnston where there was an amendment made to the source of funds from Ticketus to a company Whyte was involved with called Wavetower.

This meeting was minuted and helped prove there was no complicity by the Oldco boys.

At worst they’d been duped too.

Whyte was tried and found not guilty.
Betts gave evidence for the Crown.
Whyte’s solicitor from Collyer Bristow, Gary Withey passed away.
(BDO sued Collyer Bristow and won – £24m.)

A similar figure to the Ticketus deal, ironically enough.

Clarke and Whitehouse were much further removed from the original Ticketus deal.

It was much easier to prove their prosecution was malicious, that compounded by DS/DCI Robertson’s actions.

They and Green were settled out of court.

In the clearing up exercise BDO sued Clarke and Whitehouse successfully too…for breach of duty during the initial administration of Oldco.

BDO replaced Duff and Phelps as administrators after Duff and Phelps brought a motion requesting the change to the Court of Session.

BDO v Duff and Phelps.

The judge also wrote that the administrators should have accepted a £1.7m bid made in April 2012 from West Bromwich Albion for Steven Naismith.

The court heard the administrators refused the bid on the basis that Naismith had a £2m buy-out clause in his contract and that the bid was too low to activate it.

But Lord Tyre concluded that Mr Whitehouse and Mr Clark acted incorrectly.

In the judgement, Lord Tyre broke down the £3,404,500 into four parts:

£977,500 for failing to sell on “marketable” players

£827,000 for failing to sell on Steven Naismith

£750,000 for failing to consider the “lease and sale” of Ibrox

£850,000 for the “loss of chance” of selling on Murray Park

Lord Tyre concluded: “I hold that the noters are entitled… to an order that the respondents contribute the following sum to the company’s property by way of compensation for breach of duty.”

Duff and Phelps took a relatively small hit financially but Rangers assets were protected and sold to Charles Green and Co.

He sells on the back of the Charlotte Fakes disclosures to the Easdales and King ultimately returns.

Slowly the Old Guard begin to resurface at Ibrox with their assets and history intact.

Low and behold evidence exists too showing that the old guard at Ibrox knew nothing of the Ticketus deal.

The Strathclyde Police and the Crown Office screw up the investigation costing so far £55/60m including Duff and Phelps and Whitehouse and Clarke.

BDO are tidying up the liquidation estate of Rangers and dealing with the creditors including Ticketus and HMRC.

The most notable assets are the proceeds of the litigation against Duff and Phelps and Collyer Bristow approximately £30m.

Charles Green went to Mike Ashley for working capital (allegedly) and signed a number of deals.

King tried to circumvent that via Elite/Hummel and left a bit of a dog’s dinner.

It will be interesting to see what Grier does.

It’s a funny old game.

Duty calls

Awe Naw
April 14, 2023 10:10 am

Grier was the architect of the switcherooni. He was Murray’s goto man to help solve such issues. When the Charlotte Fakes tapes was bought by King and passed onto DCI Robertson to help enable the hostile takeover. King and Robertson were not in the picture that Grier was the architect but the SCPF were in the picture. Hence why they know Grier is at it. By failing to compensate him they are actually exposing themselves. Grier knows it and so do they

JimmynotPaul
April 14, 2023 10:16 am

10 years ago today, Celtic beat Dundee Utd 4:3 after extra-time in the Scottish Cup semi-final.

Commons(2), Wanyama and Stokes. @VictorWanyama https://t.co/oLa70mqNHs

JimDom
April 14, 2023 10:18 am

Peter Grant at Ibrox is the one for me. First time at Greyskull and the view from the broomloan rear was wonderful. That stand was probably not long up but it certainly highlighted the different ambitions between our board and theirs. Some right north Ayrshire ruffians in the Celtic side of the enclosure, mind.

The young PG certainly had something about him, self confidence and a nice bit of arrogance as well. At the time he was on a par with Paul McStay. Grant’s talent never blossomed in the way that we would have wished. He probably feels the same. A great pity.

The Gombeen Man
April 14, 2023 10:32 am

Awe Naw,

“King and Robertson were not in the picture that Grier was the architect but the SCPF were in the picture.”

Very possibly.

But how do you know this? Can you point me in the direction of the evidence to support this?

Duty calls.

April 14, 2023 10:33 am

JIMBO67

Tebily,oh dear. ATHINGOFBEAUTY and I had a minor fall out over him at Rugby Park. She was up from London for a short break. He did his usual,and I let him know I wasn’t too pleased. ATOB gave me both barrels-we don’t abuse our players,we encourage them!

She was right,but she wasn’t seeing him do that every bloody week. And I was suitably chastised.

Ten minutes later,he did the same again. ATOB absolutely lost it,I was in hysterics laughing at her!

April 14, 2023 10:34 am

Peter Grant, absolutely average, never good enough

April 14, 2023 10:38 am

JIMDOM

North Ayrshire ruffians? Why,I’ve never been so complimented in my life…

Madmitch
April 14, 2023 10:40 am

AH @ 9.50

Loose language sinks ships / causes the Nats to implode …
You highlight SFA regulations.
I highlight gender issues.

Regarding the accounts — TFOD2.1 like us seem to work to the 30th June as the year end.
We publish interim accounts as part of our financial reporting duties — shares sold on a public / regulated exchange.
Not sure what the situation is with our friends in Govan — their website does not show interim accounts for years past.

So not sure what figures the SFA could work with if the 2022 requirement is for the 31st Dec and not the 30th June.
Year end figures are fully audited while the interim accounts are not — they are or can be internal / management numbers.

So if Dec 31st numbers are needed and they were not year end they would have limited utility / validity — if they were available at all.

Everything points to the SFA using year end aka 30th June numbers when they do their review 9 or 11 months later.
Bit of a gap that some might want to exploit.

April 14, 2023 10:42 am

Scott Sinclair scored the winner at Tynecastle on the same day he signed.

April 14, 2023 10:44 am

BIGAUDIODYNAMITE

Good one.

April 14, 2023 10:44 am

Lubo’s double on his debut v the stickies.

April 14, 2023 10:45 am

BAD

Lubo’s debut was against Dundee a week or two earlier. But a minor quibble. What a player he was.

April 14, 2023 10:46 am

Big Sammy scored on his debut …anyone remember who it was against?

April 14, 2023 10:47 am

Bobby, I think I REALLY wanted to believe it was against the horrids 😉

Madmitch
April 14, 2023 10:48 am

JD @ 10.18

Not sure I agree with your PG viewpoint.
To me he was never mentioned in the same breath as PMcS.
That was his biggest problem — he was always in his shadow / the support act.
I thought that he was a much better player than his persona / reputation gave him credit for.

I have memories of PMcS being out for nearly two months and PG stepping up to be a pretty decent playmaker in his absence rather than the headless chicken / grunter / pointing caricature that we had come to expect.

PMcS returns to the team and for PG sadly normal service resumes.

April 14, 2023 10:49 am

I think T. Watt scored a couple on his debut.

Murderwell?

April 14, 2023 10:52 am

Didn’t Alan Thompson score a backheel on us debut, after coming on as a sub?

April 14, 2023 10:55 am

Phil O’Donnell v Partick.

JimmynotPaul
April 14, 2023 10:57 am

14th April 1984, Celtic beat St Mirren 2:1 in the Scottish Cup semi-final.

McClair and McStay. @BrianMcClair13 https://t.co/PuFkbzwanM

April 14, 2023 10:59 am

Samaras v Killie

April 14, 2023 10:59 am

Did Chris Sutton not score on his debut v Dundee Utd.

Remember watching it on holiday in Turkey ??

JimmynotPaul
April 14, 2023 11:00 am

14th April 1999. Hearts 2:4 Celtic.

Riseth, Blinker and Viduka(2). @RegiBlinker https://t.co/72YzzDNaJW

April 14, 2023 11:05 am

Leggy, was just about to say Sutton 👍

April 14, 2023 11:06 am

Did big Pierre not score a FK on his debut?

Jimbo67
April 14, 2023 11:06 am

BAD

Thommo got his debut goal as you described in the match v Raith Rovers where Rafael made his last competive appearance.

I laughed at that. Tebilly was possibly the most exasperating player we ever had. I missed his first few games but heard only good reports from those who had seen him although ominously there were suggestions he was a bit carried away with his own brilliance. Had some basic talent at the very least but he seemed oblivous to any coaching he ever might have been given.

Abuse of players is something we all say we don’t do but very occasionally do. Last time I lost it – and it was the first time in a decade or more- was the home game to Copenhagen 3 years ago.

BADA BING!

Bang Average? Was he that good? My least favourite Celtic player in all the years I’ve gone. Not the worst but one of the few I have actively disliked when he still played for us

Jimbo

April 14, 2023 11:08 am

Jimbo, yeah, my SB was in the Celtic end back then, and I had a great view of it.