The BIG Final(e)

Enjoy yourselves Jock would tell his team as they left the dressing room.
Enjoy yourselves and make history, there’s Ange’s perfect words today.

Every Cup Final is of course a little bit of history, but trebles are special, very special indeed.
But a world record 8th treble?
Now that opportunity doesn’t come around much at all, the chance to be immortal just like Mr Stein.

One big push is needed, an almighty effort, before the Bhoys break up for the summer and hit those exotic beaches everyone bar me seems to really enjoy.
For what it’s worth I’ve total confidence the world famous Glasgow Celtic shall put on another show and lift that bloody Cup.

It may or may not be easy, but I’m absolutely delighted that no matter what happens the Inverness Caledonia Thistle players shall receive a medal of some sort to display to the grandkids, and memories that imprint themselves for life.
This could realistically be the only significant silverware they ever attain for an entire career in the beautiful game, it’s beautiful theyve reached this far and shall receive at least some reward.

Given it’s their big day (in the sun) I expect them to have an extra spring in their step, cover that extra yard, dig the deepest ever into their reserves, really try their best. And why not, I expect you would do the same.

‘Took Celtic to the last ten minutes’
‘They needed penalties to beat us’
‘Scored against them in a Cup Final’
Any of the above would be considered a victory, which makes them dangerous as opponents.

Unluckily, they themselves are up against the most dangerous opponent in the land. Fresh off romping the nations third best team, aiming for global history, looking to place the cherry on top of the trifle, besting Celtic will be nigh on impossible. If the Bhoys show up.
But given all that is at stake and what a finale it could be, only a fool would bet against a statement performance from the Hoops out there on the Hampden turf.

With good or very good quality all over the park, no team in the land can live with us once we get flowing and are fully focused.
Two weeks ago we wondered were they burnt out? One week ago they turn in arguably their best performance.
The beast is there, it awaits only to be unleashed.
And there’s no better occasion.

Just running through the team there’s personal stories galore,,,
Calmac has the chance to make history as the Celtic Captain, not many men can say that. A treble would prove to everyone involved he lead the team well, and can rightly claim the armband isn’t shrinking.

Joe,,,another medal? At his age? Another party in the sun with the fans at his age?
That genie was kind to him.
He’s seeing the best days of his career in his twilight, what a fairytale.

Carl needs to look CCV on the eye and say I held things together while you were gone partner. He cannot lose this one. We need a rock and leader at the back, he’s been both recently.

Greg being the dominant left back of a treble is a strong argument to say Ange you don’t need a new starter here.
A big performance would yell that.

AJ,,he joined Celtic for days like this. He will be uber determined not to let anyone least of all himself down.

Maeda could brush away some question marks by shining, Jota (who I fancy for MOTM) needs to keep that trajectory up. He could grab this final by the scruff of the neck, win it alone, and fall more in love with being a Hoop and the club while raising his profile for the big move that will inevitably materialize. Win, win. If he does the business again.

Oh,,,he’s on a mini streak and will want to prove Elvis is in the building if he becomes first choice striker.
Having only marginally contributed to winning the league, this final is the stage upon which he should announce himself truly.
Bringing home the Cup after joining would be a fairytale start to match Joes fairytale ending.
The Hoop of life?

Then there’s the manager who has humbly held off any chat of himself, in order to help the players.
Signing a new contract the day before a big game to give everyone a boost used to be the way. Not for this man.
He rightly won’t take any of the spotlight off his players so they themselves have the full attention (and hopefully admiration) from the support.
His spotlight moment will come, but the players take precedence for now.
Its their time, not his.
What a man. He’s handled himself excellently these last few weeks, an unofficial ambassador for the club.
Ange deserves this treble as much as the players, but won’t ever say that out loud. We know it though.

Harry Kewell deserves some praise in my humble opinion.
Has he been a success as our striking coach?
More goals than previous with his tutelage? Tick.
High praise and players enjoying his help? Tick.
Some players visibly improving with his assistance? Tick.
Won more trophies than previous after he joined?
One more tick to go and he’s officially been a success. He might not be playing, but he will want this Treble winning Cup badly I reckon. It would be a major Tick for his dugout career.

Finally, the Treble would be a fitting tribute to the Tims, especially the natives.
It’s been the longest season in living memory, yet the compliments just roll off the tongue,,,
expecting to beat Real Madrid then taking the game to them and hitting the post first, your enthusiasm and belief raised the team and for thirty minutes we dreamed, we had ’em on the ropes. What a night, and applauding off Modric, who was sublime, was an act of class from a support with class.

That class showed again when helping clean up the streets post League title party. A party that involved volunteers donating lot of hours to pull off the best TIFO I have seen full stop.
Sincerely, well done to all involved.

We have the most multicultural dressing room I’ve ever seen, yet to a man they are not only accepted, but feel the love from the support. This particular dressing room is a tribute to the great man’s true claim it’s not his creed nor his nationality. And we’ve all embraced them with open arms. It might not seem much, but it’s principles like this that help me continue my love affair with our club.
Thanks everyone.

Come to think of it I can’t recall a single ugly incident involving the support at all,,,no car bomb under Morelos Lamborghini, no replacing the benches in George Square, no bad news here. If anything, the first team strengthening has strengthened the bond between supporter and club, and players are more likely to join because of the support. Especially the locals. Players and staff can get admiration and adulation, yet privacy if needed.

The Celtic Way is an actual place now, but you all are the living essence of the Celtic way,,warm, supportive, receptive, and charitable.
I salute you all, no matter where on God’s green and white globe you might be.

The trinity of Ange, the players, and the support deserve this treble in my opinion.
Let’s see if the footballing Gods agree.

Up The Hoops
By Mahe
sentinelcelts@gmail.com

June 3, 2023 6:15 am
June 3, 2023 6:25 am

This is admittedly from the DR,but I can’t imagine for a second that even they wouldn’t lie about a direct quotation. If true,I am maybe a bit more concerned now.

***
adamant his focus in 100 per cent on making sure Billy Dodds’ men don’t add his scalp to those belonging to John Barnes, Martin O’Neill, Neil Lennon and Ronny Deila.

He said: “That’s what is going to be on me for the rest of my career (if Celtic lose). Irrespective of what happens to me next. I’m not going to let that happen. It’s not all in my power, obviously. But I’m going to make sure we are going to be absolutely well-prepared to deliver on the day.

***

Especially-“Irrespective of what happens to me next.”

June 3, 2023 6:31 am

3rd June 1951, the “Glasgow Celtics” beat the Philadelphia All-Stars 6:2 on a tour of the US.

https://t.co/zC3Z4em0oP https://t.co/E0rgEpZEsc

June 3, 2023 6:31 am

MAHE

Terrific article,and well said.

June 3, 2023 6:33 am

JIMMYNOTPAUL

Was that the game we discovered Gil Heron?

June 3, 2023 6:54 am

Good stuff, Mahe!

Have been reading the story of the Victory Cup again (1946 competition to celebrate the end of the war)) and our semi-final meeting with Rangers. If you aren’t aware of the story, check it out …you won’t believe what you’re reading!

It may be the only time a drunk referee has taken charge of one of those games!! Unsurprisingly carnage ensued.

June 3, 2023 7:16 am

It was certainly on that tour.
Celtic Wiki not specific on which actual game.
One of the first black players to play in Britain, Gil Heron became the first Afro-Caribbean player to play first team football for Celtic.

Born in Kingston, Jamaica in 1922, Gil Heron played as centre forward for the Jamaican national team as well as playing for the American club side Detroit Corinthians. On a North American tour he was spotted by a Celtic scout and later signed for the club in 1951.

Gil Heron scored on his début, the second goal in a 2-0 win against Morton during the 1951-52 season, and was hailed as a ‘box-office’ hit and was bestowed the nicknames of “Black Flash” and “Black Arrow“. He had a fine debut and reports were positive:

“He has ball control, magnificent headwork and can trap like a veteran… took his goal with camera-shutter speed”.

He was so quick off the mark, that he was said to be repeatedly given as offside as linesmen couldn’t credit anyone being so fast.

SteveNaive
June 3, 2023 7:34 am

Thanks Mahe.
Bobby,
Just a pish mash of what he said in the Herald interview.
The smsm are down to pressing the fire alarm.
Cup Final day, we are in it and thousands will be getting ready.
Their time, our day,The Glasgow Celtic.
…’and it cheers us up, when we know the Scottish Cup “
A rush and a push and the land is ours.

Hoop hoop hooray
June 3, 2023 8:09 am

Here we go
World record 8th treble

A personal world record 5th treble for Calmac all of which has come whilst hall of famer tavpen has been captain.

Joe Hart only the 3rd player to win every domestic honour in scotland and england.

And all achieved in a season where we were up agaibst 2 refs a game.

Only dilemma for me? I dont really know if I actually want us to beat the record score for a cup final in scotland…..

Auldbhoy67
June 3, 2023 8:23 am

It’s been a long time since I have seen the media and pundits throw so much negative publicity at us prior to any cup final. Ange has been associated with Leeds Spurs Leicester Marseille Palace and Wolves( who still have a manager). Big offers in the summer for our star men as usual. Even Paddy McCourt was brought up on a sexual harassment issue only yesterday. All this and today on BBC Web page the possible world record eigth treble isn’t mentioned but the Huns having seven is. Just heard some eejit at the hotel behind my house shouting WATP. Aye right just wait till 8pm and listen to who the people are.
Monday is 47yrs for me and she who must be obeyed. A treble today a world record and good news on Ange will make the weekend complete. COYBIG.

June 3, 2023 8:23 am

MORNING ALL AND JIM ,ah cup final day,my favourite was 1969, we beat the Infamous glesga rainjurs 4-0 and a certain mr george connelly ran the show, and I loved every minute of it,another true story, COYBIG we owe this lot something,h.h.

June 3, 2023 8:40 am

Good morning, friends and a Big Happy Cup Final 8th Treble Day!!!
A top class lead article, Mahe and a great summation of where we currently are.
Having my own family round from mid afternoon with the reliability of Cooncil Telly. Beer may flow.

Last point – I’ve really enjoyed doing the ole MOTM thing throughout the season. One final game and I really do hope it produces a record turnout! If you have company whilst enjoying the game, why not include their opinions in your own voting email. Or better still, encourage them to vote themselves, even it till be their debut! SENCELPOTY@GMAIL.COM

In other boring news, after an injury plagued 2023 it’s a return to ParkRun for me this morning where just completing the 5km course is my sole target. Getting old… 😉

June 3, 2023 8:47 am

PARTY in the park!

000s of Sun-drenched Tims will gather together to celebrate all that’s great about our team!! Ironic that this should all happen on the piece of ground claimed as the birthplace of our deceased rival …KARMA! I don’t understand why we don’t use the park rather than always heading to the town centre. Maybe something we will consider after today?? Glasgow Green is Green and White!

So glad I’ll get the chance to enjoy the whole day with the wee guy 👨👦
Still need one ticket for the day to be perfect. (+Result)
I don’t fancy trying to double up at Hampden!!

Haven’t been nervous at all …until this very minute!!! 😳

June 3, 2023 8:50 am

Brilliant Auldbhoy! I really hope the Hoops play their part for you!!
All the best for next week.

Hail Hail 💚💛

June 3, 2023 9:03 am

I think Kyogo will probably play from the off tonight.

Hopefully our little number 8 scores the goals that secures our 8th treble.

Let’s KyoGO!

June 3, 2023 9:18 am

Morning all,

Treble post !!!! I love 💚 it !!!!!

And I do want a record score today .

8 or 9 will do me lovely.

Have a great day everyone and savour the moment.

COYBIG 🍀🍀🍀

Billy Bhoy
June 3, 2023 9:22 am

Excellent start to the day Mahe!

I love SC final day, especially when we’re in it, and even more especially when the hun ISN’T.

Oh, and the sun is shining again. I’ve just checked back on my calendar and note that the last time I saw rain in G66 was on Wednesday 20th April. I could get used to this.
I understand that it rained a couple of times while I was sailing doon the Med though.

Have a great day everyone. I’ll be firing up the BBQ – wearing the hoops just in case my neighbours are unaware of today’s events – around 4 and get the beers flowing.
Bring it on!

Andy Pandy 2
June 3, 2023 9:46 am

To all those lucky enough to be there today, hope you have a day to remember. Golf for me at 12, no post round pint today, home by 4.30. (It’s the only way I can try to keep the nerves away!!)
Quick tea, and settle down, if that’s possible, to watch another famous win. COYBIG!!!!

June 3, 2023 9:56 am

From Hail Hail history.
The original Ibrox was the venue for the 1892 Scottish Cup Final.

Celtic were to play Queen’s Park, the side that had dominated the competition since it began.

It was scheduled for 12 March 1892. But then the snow started…

#CelticFC #ScottishCup #CELICT https://t.co/rMPu2YMwMX

June 3, 2023 9:57 am

Despite heavy snow on the pitch, it was agreed the game would go ahead.

There was HUGE interest in the game. 40,000 attended, a then record Scottish crowd.

This was even though entry was the high price of 1 shilling.

#CelticFC #ScottishCup #CELICT https://t.co/8RM2KrtvLt

June 3, 2023 9:57 am

So full was the ground that fans were pushed onto the park.

The game went ahead, but it was hard to play due to fans on the pitch and the lying snow.

Still, Celtic emerged as 1-0 winners, thanks to a Johnny Campbell goal.

#CelticFC #ScottishCup #CELICT https://t.co/YmN67mLVz9

June 3, 2023 9:58 am

But despite the win, Celtic didn’t yet hold the Scottish Cup.

Protests were lodged against the match being counted as official, given various pitch problems.

These were upheld and the match declared void. Another game was needed.

#CelticFC #ScottishCup #CELICT https://t.co/ZQN9n3wQfc

June 3, 2023 9:58 am

The replayed game was held on 9 April 1892. Ibrox was again the venue.

20,000+ fans turned out, smaller than the first game but still a large crowd.

By half-time, things looked grim for Celtic with Queen’s Park leading 1-0.

#CelticFC #ScottishCup #CELICT https://t.co/ftIsGcM67q

June 3, 2023 9:58 am

The second half was totally different; Celtic now had wind advantage and attacked their opponents.

Goals from Sandy McMahon (2), Johnny Campbell (2) and an own goal turned the game on its head.

The match finished 5-1 to Celtic.

#CelticFC #ScottishCup #CELICT https://t.co/4a6T3XvS7p

June 3, 2023 9:59 am

As the full-time whistle sounded, Celtic had won the Scottish Cup!

Celtic’s first Scottish Cup winning team was:

J Cullen
J Reynolds
D Doyle
W Maley
J Kelly
P Gallagher
N McCallum
A Brady
P Dowds
S McMahon
J Campbell

#CelticFC #ScottishCup #CELICT https://t.co/jSUeGUvT9p

June 3, 2023 9:59 am

The players celebrated their amazing achievement.

They went back to St Mary’s church hall where a party was held.

As well as their ‘badges’ (medals), they received a reward from Celtic of a new suit of clothes.

#CelticFC #ScottishCup #CELICT https://t.co/6vt5i0TpqG

June 3, 2023 10:00 am

Across the country, fans of Celtic cheered the victory.

Newspapers reported gatherings and festivities in various places, including Glasgow, Greenock, Edinburgh and Coatbridge.

Scotland’s Irish communities hailed their new heroes.

#CelticFC #ScottishCup #CELICT https://t.co/8ryaiCtocK

June 3, 2023 10:00 am

The Scottish Referee described one celebration:

“When ‘the boys came marching home again’ from the aristocratic Ibrox the fun began in earnest . . . The whole East End put on an air of gaiety and colour of deep carnation.”

#CelticFC #ScottishCup #CELICT https://t.co/bE2zsoaE5K

June 3, 2023 10:01 am

The Scottish Cup win was the high point of Celtic’s 1891-92 season – but not the only one.

The Bhoys also won the Glasgow Cup and Glasgow Charity Cup.

Willie Maley later said it was Celtic’s “three-leaved-shamrock success”.

#CelticFC #ScottishCup #CELICT https://t.co/9jpwd1BbPv

June 3, 2023 10:01 am

When the Celts line up later against Inverness, 1891-92 will seem very far away.

But the Bhoys hope to do today what was first achieved more than 130 years ago.

Come on, you Bhoys in green – let’s make it Scottish Cup win 41!

🍀🏆

#CelticFC #ScottishCup #CELICT https://t.co/ziMreFSQOt

June 3, 2023 10:36 am
Bigrailroadblues
June 3, 2023 11:08 am

Still looking for a ticket, if anyone can help me out. Cheers!

June 3, 2023 11:50 am
June 3, 2023 11:52 am

Bada,

What makes you think that?

June 3, 2023 11:53 am

The road to Hampden.

June 3, 2023 11:59 am

Bigrailroadblues
I’ve been asking about, but nothing so far..
Will give you a shout if I here anything

Madmitch
June 3, 2023 12:03 pm

JNP @ 9.56

What is it with us and the SCF … ?

Every time we get there something extraordinary happens.

Had never heard the snow story before — QP must have thrown their not inconsiderable weight about to get the match voided. Our friends in Govan must have looked on in disbelief and envy.

2017 and we had clouds forming in the stadium and a thunderclap / lightning strike when TR did his stuff.

Given the time we are having at the moment I fully expect aliens to announce themselves to the world in G42 after the game as it will get their message across without causing any distress to the assembled multitudes who will have other things on their minds.

As long as we are bringing salt — we have used the salt — then I won’t care if Alpha Centauri is where it is at now. They can’t be any worse than the SFA / Holyrood can they?

June 3, 2023 12:03 pm

Heading into Glasgow shortly fior a bit of lunch before heading to Hampden in the sun.

Can’t beat a lovely sunny day at Hampden to hopefully secure our 8th treble.
HH🍀🍀

June 3, 2023 12:05 pm

BadaBingBadaBoom!…the wee guy just left for Glasgow Green’s Tims in the Park meet. He reckons as many as 25000 will march to Hampden! As always, there’ll be minimum trouble but we’ll get slated in the morning for half a dozen arrests for pissing on Forsyth McStaunch’s lily bushes on Aitkenheid Road!! 💦💦 🥀🥀 🤣😂🤣

June 3, 2023 12:08 pm

BRRB…chances are if you’re there early enough you’ll get lucky! I’d have thunk with the amount of people you must know from the amount of boozers you mention on here somebody must be able to sort you oot!!

June 3, 2023 12:16 pm

BRRB, get in among the ICT supporters and you will probably get one.

June 3, 2023 12:17 pm

Are you heading up today, BAD?

June 3, 2023 12:18 pm

McCaff, going to the green soon, if the wee man moves his arse! I hate waiting on people 😞

June 3, 2023 12:21 pm

Brilliant, BAD! I’ve got serious envy right now. As the wee guy was leaving I was gutted to be missing out. We’re having a wee party for my daughter’s birthday (which was last week but we had other stuff on!) So telly on, beers oot for me!

June 3, 2023 12:23 pm

BAD- Drinking in public for starters…..

June 3, 2023 12:33 pm

McCaff, you and the wee guy can enjoy looking at all his photos the mora 😉

June 3, 2023 12:33 pm

Thanks, Bada 👍

June 3, 2023 12:36 pm

BAD…I will but the big wean in me just wants to be there!! 😥

June 3, 2023 12:52 pm

McCaff,

Me and you have seen Celtic win plenty.

I think it’s safe to assume we ain’t done yet 😉

There’ll be other days, mucker! 🍀🍀

óglach
June 3, 2023 12:54 pm

Something to discuss and laugh at in the bar with your pre-game libations

‘Former Reading boss Steve Clarke is among the front-runners for the potential job at Celtic, ‘IF’ Tottenham comes calling for Ange.’

Now that is an example of SMSM pish .😨🤢🤬🤬🤬