Surprise, Surprise,the unexpected hits you between the eye’s

Tara Chuck! Both Cilla and Ange.

This time last night I sat down to pen my tribute to the treble, and felt I could finally put my feet up for the off season and phone it in with a few fillers until the real action restarts.
I didn’t even get one day’s respite, and Boom, the biggest story in years emerges.
Any violins out there? For me, not him by the way.

Sooo, our manager has upped sticks. The Big Man is away to the big time and on big wedge.
I’m very torn.

All emotion aside for a moment, well done on the success and the move Ange. You impressed, you’ve had a good career in the game and possess some excellent managerial qualities, a big challenge awaits.

This move also helps the world famous Glasgow Celtic by highlighting a direct pathway to the EPL upper echelons. That might help recruiting the replacement. It might not, but it can’t hurt.
Celtic have now sold players and managers to the EPLs Big 6, that’s a fact that won’t pass certain people in the sport by.

You delivered success, a lot of success, some very fine footballers at very fine prices, it was a hell of a ride.
You leave with my best wishes.

However, you shall also leave with a piece of advice,,,say what you mean, and mean what you say.

Where we are from, where most of the support actually live, a man’s word is his bond. You say you’re gonna do something, then you do it.
You said you were really looking forward to the Asian tour which was almost your personal tribute, again after Oz.
You said you were looking forward to the Champions League next season. Now you’re not even in it!
You said ‘WE aren’t a top team yet’.
You said all the right words, always.

So for once I’ll take Dermot and Peters side of this particular fight. I understand the long faces. I really do.
You announced plans, you expressed happiness, you were adored while being successful and growing that reputation.
Europe’s top table awaiting for another crack, full control of transfers with an impressive budget, team growing under your tutelage, pay rise coming.
Then Boom! I’m gone, just like that!

You’d best understand something ‘mate’,,while you and every other manager out there are allowed to use our great club as a stepping stone, you do it honorably or not at all.
Someone truly connected with the support and club could not walk away so rapidly.

You get badgered out the door and I’ll have your back,
You run for the door, after everything we’ve been through and said, then we’re best without you.
You don’t wanna be here no more then fine, sometimes love just ain’t enough, but cut the crap. For your own sake ‘mate’. My team’s badge is tattooed on my left shoulder and I’ve a lifetime of memories surrounding the club I love. You were in a privileged position for a short spell, involved with a giant, but we are in it for life.

So my friends it’s onwards but will it be upwards, I truly hope so as the other two alternatives don’t hold much appeal.

I like some of the potential names mentioned, but I’ve gotta say this on the Brendan link. Rejoining with Peter in the building but under a new system would almost be Peter admitting he got it wrong. I reckon Brendan would be an egg on face appointment, and that’s not our board.
He must know he will get a call from somewhere new at some stage, and can afford to hang about. Plus, I don’t want to go back, but go on a new adventure.

However,,,theres one name I do not want to lead us on a new adventure. That name is Enzo Maresca and let me explain why.
Should he be recruited for the position it would all but confirm our tie up with the City Group. A tie up that will not be officially announced as the support wouldn’t accept that, but signs point to those people having more and more sway over our club.
If Enzo gets the nod, we are simply part of the City Group, named or not, and I refuse to accept that.
I admit this is hypothetical, but my club sets trends and does not follow them.
My club breeds heroes, and doesn’t blood heroes for others.
My club is not part of any (City) group, we stand alone.
We were always alone, and were given a cause in a new land.
We shall be a support act for a larger conglomerate over my dead body.
This IS the world famous Glasgow Celtic we are talking about, not a corner store.

‘We shall see’ has almost become our site’s slogan thanks to a one man band, but it’s so very true and relevant at this point.
Now we know for a fact Ross Desmond met Ange at Parkhead, the photo is out there. Is there younger influence involved?
Is Peter truly out?
A name or a nobody?
Etc etc.

Anything could happen here, and that in itself is very exciting. You give a good technical coach 30 million a year and he just might deliver, and I’m not talking about the wooden spoon. That’s target number one, not coming last in the Champions League group. Gaining some coefficient points.
The league will sort itself out as history tells us that a team performing well on the continent generally gets into the groove and cuts it at home.

That’s us in a nutshell.
I don’t want a lazy appointment, I want a clever appointment. Someone outside the usual, someone out to make a name.
Look how that just worked out. Just don’t talk about next year unless you’re serious.
Because the supporters take this shit seriously.
And the prerequisite is understanding that.

What’s next is deliciously interesting.
A club at a crossroads?
Peter involved?
A rookie to be guided to greatness?
Young Desmond heavily involved?
End of the Japanese link?
Etc etc

Everything and anything is up in the air right now but the current custodians will be judged heavily upon their reaction.

By Mahe
sentinelcelts@gmail.com

June 6, 2023 4:42 am

I’ve gone straight to acceptance in my stages of “grief”, unlike some of my buddies who are in anger/ depression.
Ive enjoyed every success but wasn’t totally convinced and felt ‘23/‘24 was always going to be a telling season, particularly in the CL and his well discussed tactical inflexibility was a reason for genuine concern on the Euro front.
I suspect he won’t have that problem with Spurs.
Staying ahead of Brentford, West Ham etc in London is the level at which he will now operate. The chance of securing silverware is slim. They’ve won nowt since 2008. Dealing domestically with the big beasts down there will be challenging enough.
But at least he will have his memories to fall back on

Ange, via his Aussie connections( Munn arrived at Spurs on 7th April) has played the support like mugs.
Sadly, he turns out to be a bit of a disingenuous phoney, and not the honest matey honourable image he portrays at every presser.

So he goes, to a club on the slide, where the fan base know who he is but a section ( sizeable or otherwise) don’t want him/ rate him.
Good luck with that thankless task.
Thanks for the memories but please don’t patronise us with platitudes on the way out.

On the plus side the new man presents an exciting and interesting summer ahead.
One of upheaval as Ange pillages and discontents make it obvious they want away now the King has abdicated or is it absconded?

Therefore a job to relish for the right man who can make his own mark- knowing a decent transfer fund exists, and incoming fees will add to the pot. What an opportunity for a straight talking, ambitious manager who doesn’t have to tell us he gets the club, and is full of soft-soap, “badge kissing” bullshit rhetoric, but gets on with the job.

Bring it on, at Celtic it’s got feck all to do with welcoming the chase.
We welcome the challenge. To be the best we can be.

June 6, 2023 6:47 am

CFC,

Our treble winning squad needs 12 additions? Hmm

Wtf are we gonna do with them all??

There is more chance of me getting a game.

June 6, 2023 8:05 am

Good morning, friends.
I’ve seen quite a lot of chat suggesting that the possibility of Ange leaving has been known internally for a few weeks. That being the case, any well run club would have already started the process of having a successor lined up. We’ll see…..
Oh, Mahe, a fine lead article there.
Final point if we are dealing in facts rather than speculation then, as things stand, Ange remains Celtic manager. I don’t expect to be able to say that this time tomorrow but…….. we’ll see….

June 6, 2023 8:16 am

Morning all, Mahe I agree with just about all but the perception that by signing Maresco we’re signifying we’re part of something bigger, something less appealing. Yokohama are City Group, Stev Munn was City Group, Lawell Jr came from City Group, he knows the people, he knows their qualities and strengths. If Maresco is the standout candidate, and he must be on the list, then Celtic and Lawell Jr are duty bound to explore the possibility of bringing him in.
My concern with Maresco would be a lack of experience in his own right not the fact he works with City although that’s not stopping Leicester having a good look at him as manager!

June 6, 2023 9:07 am

MAHE

Ouch,you didn’t miss and hit the wall,did you? I’m glad you called at the weekend,suggested that the Monday article had to be about our treble,that the players deserved their tribute for a job well done-but that so too did the manager.

All true. Not a problem.

But also that you write the Tuesday article too,because it was clear by then what was coming hot on the heels of our celebrations. I was all too happy to agree with that. No,I’m delighted that I didn’t write today’s article. You or ASWGL would have had to delete it.

Ange goes with my profound thanks. Let’s be honest,he totally surpassed even the most optimistic of expectations. He has given us great times. Unexpected times. He put the huns back in their box. He hammered down the lid on the press,never gave a sucker an even break.

He has given us some wonderful players,which when I think back only those two years,I didn’t think was possible. Indeed,when I think back those two years,where we were as a club,where we were as a support,I still find it difficult to quantify the sheer magnitude of his success.

So,yes. He definitely leaves with my most grateful thanks. And yes,there is a but. However,I’m not going to say it,not here. Nothing I can say here will alter events,and nothing that I say that follows that but will reflect well on me in the morning,or next week.

I honestly hope he batters down the walls in England,rams the words of the cynical who scoff right down their throats. He wasn’t with us for long enough to get a statue,but if you seek his monument?

Look at the team he left us with. And those five trophies too.

June 6, 2023 9:12 am

B A D

Re read what I said;

“A squad already needing quality upgrades in several positions may need replacements in a few more. Up to a dozen?”

We already need upgrades- that much is obvious and been discussed on here previously.
I’m postulating that AP will take one or two? Again as mentioned here.
Also some who become unhappy at him going might want away too.
Not an unrealistic expectation.
So yes, it could be 8, 10, 12?

That’s what “may” and “up to” means.

Whatever way you want to pitch it there will be changes.

I suspect your services won’t be required.

Frodshambhoy
June 6, 2023 9:17 am

Brilliant lead Mahe.
Tells it like it is.
Ange the manager was terrific. Unfortunately I’m now starting to dislike Ange the man. That’s hard to take.

As to the future, I’m with Jobo. We should have been on this weeks ago so I like to think we will soon have someone (very good) in place.

Another thought re the Asia tour. What if Ange takes a few of our Japanese players. Will that damage the deal or even lead to cancellation.

June 6, 2023 9:19 am

CFC

I think I should have read your comment first. The first paragraph,at least. Would have saved me a bit of time. I don’t know about you though,mine was actually difficult to write. We both know it is the right thing to say,especially your first paragraph,that to respond differently is bitterness,anger,allowing my heart to rule my head.

I’m a football fan,ffs. My heart is always gonna rule my head!

You might be at the acceptance stage,and well done. But I know how difficult it was for me to write my earlier comment,so I’m guessing that I’m not quite at the acceptance stage yet.

I hope the rest of the fans get the acceptance stage ASAP too. They might as well,fuck all we can do about it anyway. Ange deserves our thanks,and nothing should take that fact away from him.

June 6, 2023 9:22 am

Cfc,

Up to a dozen? Coulda swore a dozen was 12.

Fantasy numbers, like I said.

Madmitch
June 6, 2023 9:29 am

AP — you are coming over all high maintenance and it is not a good look.

I suppose it depends on what you see?

To me he was driven / very focused / the job he had and not his place in the world.

Remember he was the guy who advised TR to get out of the SPL ASAP.
Then he was the guy who made it to the SPL and got a better tune out of TR.

So the last day / the last week / the last month hold no surprises to me — it is just AP doing what he does.

Focus / drive / vision — all on what he thinks is best for him at any particular moment in time.

A treble is good for the ego.
A job in the EPL Big 6 is good for his ego / Aus bragging rights.

So that is / was his focus — what he needs to do to get him to where he needs to be.

Just a case that in this company — DD and PL are low energy easibeats.

Spurs stuff is a horror story for Spurs.

Feyenoord guy thinks of the club as well as himself — new contract / higher buyout clause.

Spurs say no as they have a Plan F who will be £12mill cheaper.

Final figure is £10mill cheaper but Team Aus have a result. That is Team Aus not Spurs and DL will soon realise this.

The big thing now is the succession and the squad.

A slow crawl towards perfection will hurt us regarding rebuilding the squad.

However no more from the City Group remnant rack / talent warehouse.

Finally where we are today shows in bright Technicolor our lack of depth.

First team coaching squad — paper thin.
B Team coaching talent — not setting the heather on fire.

More energy / engagement with the U18’s and the Ladies. Imagine how good we could be if we had the coaching depth to properly set up an attacking corner / attacking free kick and actually deliver on it.

AP — top rank manager.
AP — middling coach who needs depth / support to be credible.

June 6, 2023 9:32 am

Off-topic Alert!
Apologies if JNP or Auldheid posted this yesterday, I just caught it today…

June 6, 2023 9:49 am

Acceptance cos I never fully bought the whole Ange persona. I liked the man, am very grateful he was here and celebrate the successes with the same enthusiasm as everyone else.
The “but” bit is my interpretation of his flaws- inflexibllity on tactics and a pride that touched on arrogance ( not in itself a bad thing) but made him appear stubborn and unyielding. I feared for our CL campaign after last year’s disaster.

The same way that BR leaving didn’t surprise me, because I never bought the “ here for 10 in a row” triumphalism.
Ange is away( if he isn’t he’s got a whole lot of explaining to do!) and we move on.
I’m looking forward to the summer and the new challenge ahead. The King is dead …

B A D

“Up to a dozen?”
Yes- up to and the question mark suggest that’s not a definitive number.
I’ve had chats on here with you and others that as many as 6 are needed to upgrade what we currently have. Keeper, CH, LB, two Mids, winger.
On top of that if Ange takes a couple and a few discontented players want to go, you do the arithmetic.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

corkcelt
June 6, 2023 9:53 am

As a ghuy on CQN said earlier and I concurred, I feel conned by Ange.
I loved him for past 2 years but that’s gone.
He did a great job for us brought in some exciting talent, The Football was great and 5 out of 6 was magic,
He did well for us and has done very well out of us.
I might allow myself a wee smile every time Spurs have a shite result but apart from that my focus is where it always has been .
The appointment of a new Managerial Team is the only show in Town at the moment & once that is in place, the Clouds will lift and off we go on another adventure,

JimDom
June 6, 2023 9:56 am

Don’t sweat the small stuff and don’t worry about the stuff we can’t influence.

The focus now is on Desmond Snr, Desmond Jnr, Lawwell Srn, and Lawwell Jrn, (the days of the pre-Fergus family nepotism well and truly behind us. Said no one). And perhaps our anonymous CEO, Michael Nicholson (the new Jack McGinn) will play some minor role ?

Chairbhoy
June 6, 2023 10:02 am

Very interesting lead Mahe,

I’m not going to thank Angelos for his tenure, he has been more than rewarded in every possible way.

As I have said before, Ange is the fourth best manager we have had this century, that’s mid table.

Those who equate Brendan Rodgers and Angelos’s European record are miss remembering.

Sure, Brendan got skelped by the big boys, Barca, PSG, Bayern but he held his own against Man City

And has a decent record otherwise, finishing second in the Europa League in his last Season

Angelos got nowhere near that.

He got a pass on first season as the basket case of a squad big Pedro and Lenny had left us meant we were at a generational low.

Still, what he did was a minor miracle for sure but some folk have a talent for making a silk glove out of a pigs ear, he was that man no doubts.

As I make clear besting the Rangers franchise doesn’t impress me much, so that in mind another domestic treble has to be put in context and a woeful European campaign must be the legacy.

I wouldn’t put too much store by the mega deal and transfer budget, it should have been offered to Angelos when he was making all the right noises in February, not in May when it was clear he was being courted by some Clubs that he would be keen to speak to.

As I said before, my expectations for an ambitious Celtic disappeared the moment Peter Lawwell became Chairman – I was right to think that and he doesn’t get a pass from me on the AP fiasco, it’s got his m.o. all over it.

A day late and a dollar short…

June 6, 2023 10:04 am

Cfc,

Am I being deliberately obtuse? Ffs, you said up to a dozen?!

Am saying 12, that’s a dozen!, Is fantasy numbers.

Now, stop being silly.

June 6, 2023 10:08 am

JimDom Corkcelt

Agree, Ange has gone, thanks and all that, recriminations can be voiced and then forgotten.
No one has died, so get over it and get the finger out to make things better.

The immediate focus should be on the future.
We don’t have the luxury of dwelling on the past, all has changed utterly now.

We Move On.
There are big challenges ahead.

June 6, 2023 10:11 am

B A D

You love a non argument, don’t you?
You certainly go looking for them.

I’ve stated my reasoning, and have no wish to elaborate further.
Find someone else to rail against- I guess you’re in the denial/ anger stage of “grief”.

June 6, 2023 10:16 am

CFc, No, was just me questioning your sensationalist nonsense …no biggy.

If you are gonna get so upset, maybe think twice about what you post in future?

In any world, a dozen is 12 …sorry 😉

Chairbhoy
June 6, 2023 10:19 am

Corkcelt @ 9:53 am,

You are of course right, the new managerial set up is crucial, it will signpost exactly where we are heading, I hope and pray but not too much.

June 6, 2023 10:23 am

B A D

Sensationalist? 😂

Aye, real “Freddie Starr ate my hamster” stuff.

The Gombeen Man
June 6, 2023 10:33 am

We’re all in the early stages of denial and anger.

You just don’t go straight to acceptance. That is denial.

Everyone’s in the same boat I’m afraid.

Nothing for it than to sit it out and it’ll run it’s course.

Notions of collecting Ange’s personal belonging, fecking them into a black bin bag and lobbing them over the back wall at Lennoxtown are entirely understandable – but likely to be counterproductive.

Ideas for denial and anger stages :

1) Bring Ange jumper to recycle.

2) Make sure I enjoy this Treble.

3) Resist the temptation to post stuff that are likely to make things worse.

4) Sevco are in meltdown.

5) Remember that are tactics at CL/EL level were naive.

6) It’ll unfold as it’s meant to.

Out into the sunshine.

June 6, 2023 10:34 am

CFC, funny, that’s exactly what I was thinking.

Not just over the top, but waaay over it.

Glad you have calmed down …phew! 😉

Madmitch
June 6, 2023 10:38 am

Squad development — aka the numbers game.

Where are we — 26 is my current guess.
4 x GK / 2 × 10 outfield positions / 2 spares in Old JF and JMcC.

Anybody ready to step up from the youths into the First Team squad?

2003’s — BL @ CB / JD @ No.9.
Only issues are BL has looked semi- detached.
JD has had a long term injury.
Need more experience — loan?

2004’s — BS seems to be highly regarded.
Ready to step up full time?

2005’s — RV has had all the publicity.
Best for him to move up now?

Then there is the Dirty Dozen out on loan — any apart from the Prince across the Water ready to make the jump?

Finally the other side — who should we remove from the First Team squad?

Who need a loan?
Who need a new challenge?

Easy stuff to be getting on with as we wait for a new manager to do the heavy lifting regarding transfers in and out.

June 6, 2023 10:41 am

Well good bye Ange and thanks, almost a Kenny Dalglish moment but I’ve recovered from that 🫣

I agree with CFC on his tactics plan B was the same as plan A just different subs in the same formation. However saying that 80% of what we watched was wonderful!

And so we move on, plenty of good managers out there who would jump at the chance. Would be interesting if Ange has any post Celtic comments regarding the press and SFA officials up here or is he obliged to 🙈🙉🙊

The Star Above The Crest
June 6, 2023 10:42 am

If it were up to me I’d be going for Kjetil Knutsen. His teams are well drilled and score hatfuls of goals. He’s broken all sorts of records in Norway on the tiniest of budgets.

Enzo Maresca is a no from me. It would be as poor a choice as John Barnes was.

Awe Naw
June 6, 2023 10:43 am

By Celtic Football Club

Following the announcement today that Ange Postecoglou is to join Tottenham Hotspur FC, Celtic Football Club wishes him well for the future.

The process of appointing Celtic’s next football manager is already underway. While we will aim to announce this appointment to supporters as soon as possible, our priority will be to appoint the best candidate to take the Club forward.

Celtic Chief Executive, Michael Nicholson said: “It has been a pleasure working with Ange, a great football manager and a good man. He has served the Club with such energy and determination and delivered a phenomenal level of success.

“I would like to thank him for all he has given us and I wish Ange and his family the very best for the future in everything they do.

“Of course, we wanted Ange to stay with us at Celtic and while there is real disappointment that we are losing him, he has decided he wants to look at a new challenge, which we respect.

“As Treble-winning champions, the Club looks ahead with confidence to the future, with many exciting opportunities ahead. The Club appreciates the tremendous support from Celtic fans this season and we will continue to build from this position of unity and strength.”

Ange Postecoglou said: “I would like to sincerely thank everyone at the Club for everything they have given me. In particular, Dermot, Peter and Michael and the Celtic Board have shown me tremendous support in every aspect of my time at Celtic and I will forever be grateful for this.

“They brought me to the Club and I have worked so closely and so well with them for the past two years, I will always have a special relationship with them.

“They wanted me to extend my time at Celtic and while I am so respectful and understanding of their position, a new opportunity has been presented to me and it is one which I wanted to explore.

“It was an honour to be asked to be Celtic manager and during my two years I have given everything I have to deliver success to our supporters. Culminating in the Treble at the weekend, my players and backroom team have been brilliant for me on this journey.

“They have given us all some fantastic moments through their energy and effort, creating real quality, winning football.

“Our supporters have been magnificent to me and I thank them for the way they have embraced me during the past two years. My ambition was always to give our fans a team they could be proud of, a team people talked about and I think we have achieved that.

“Celtic is a phenomenal football club, and so much more – and I will forever be a supporter of this great institution. I wish everyone connected with Celtic nothing but continued success.”

Peter Lawwell, Celtic Chairman added: “Against any measure, Ange has delivered a fantastic level of success to Celtic and we thank him for his brilliant contribution to the Club during the past two years.

“We were delighted to bring Ange to Celtic. He is a special manager who has had success wherever he has been and someone who brought to the club attacking, stylish and winning football in the best traditions of Celtic.

“Of course, we are disappointed that Ange has decided to leave the Club, and we did all we could to keep him with us well into the future, but he wanted to take this new opportunity and we wish Ange well in this and everything else he does.

“Now our focus is very much on ensuring we move forward positively and do all we can to ensure that we maintain our dominant position in Scottish football and also prepare for the exciting European challenges which lie ahead.”

Celtic Captain Callum McGregor added: “It has been great to work with the gaffer over the past two seasons and to achieve the success that we have, especially achieving yet another Treble at the weekend.

“In fact, to win five out of six domestic trophies is a tremendous achievement and that is testament to the real focus and relentlessness of the manager, the players and our whole backroom team who have all worked so hard.

“I thank all our supporters again for what they have given us this year. The scenes at Hampden and Celtic Park, when we celebrated our success together will stay with me forever.

“We have delivered something very special to our fans and done it, under the manager’s direction by playing an exciting and attractive brand of football. As all the players do, I wish Ange great success in his next challenge.

“We move on ourselves to our own challenges too. Our performances this season mean we will take our place deservedly in the Champions League and we can’t wait for it.

“It will be brilliant to have these great nights back at Celtic Park and I am sure our fans are looking forward to experiencing this again, as well as watching us striving to defend all our domestic titles.

“The players will enjoy a well-earned break and when we return we will get right behind the new manager, we will be united and, as ever, will do all we can to bring our fans continued success.”

June 6, 2023 10:44 am

The champions league is where every manager wants- would love to be.

We should be trying to hire the very best available.

June 6, 2023 10:49 am

All this may go some way to explaining our dip in form before the season’s end.

The players are only human, and most were brought here by him

Awe Naw
June 6, 2023 10:49 am

I think Maeda’s red card against Hibs is now fully explainable

June 6, 2023 10:54 am

My 10am Mass prayers failed….

Madmitch
June 6, 2023 11:04 am

BNCUW et al ad infinitum …

Our friends in Govan are not in crisis.

They are dealing with an ageing / failing squad with the resources available to them.

MB when left alone in his coaching attic is pretty effective at setting up teams and getting a tune out of a collection if combs / tins / newspaper trumpets.

They are currently sifting their way through the drop outs of a number of big team academies looking for waives and strays to re-purpose/ re-ignite.

Then they will work the loan angle and finally they will tap up anyone useful they come across who has connections to the dark side.

They are desperate so they are turning over every stone.

Add in Ludge MIB / Ludge VAR and they will be competitive next season.

Add in the punchers chance they have of reaching the CL and they will be no pushover.

2023/24 — not as hard a gig as two years ago but still a challenge we will need to be ready for.

Plus we have a hot date in the CL to look forward to.

Plus keep a lookout for “OF Inc” sharing out next season’s spoils — forewarned is forearmed.

JimDom
June 6, 2023 11:07 am

The next guy should be handed the biggest transfer budget in the club’s history.

His remit : to retain the title and avoid the CL wooden spoon position. The cups are a bonus but not essential, the title and Europe after Christmas are.

Our biggest rival for the title is currently shopping in their own market, that is self evident. It is not the market Celtic should be looking at. The extent of the suits ambitions will soon be revealed.

June 6, 2023 11:11 am

T G M

Straight to acceptance cos no one has died and I don’t do idolatry !

So nothing to “grieve” over, if you had previously voiced misgivings about aspects of the footy inflexibility / soft soap give the punters what they need to hear bullshit rhetoric.

16 roads
June 6, 2023 11:11 am

Postecoglou has left the building.

It’s understandable the disappointment and sense of betrayal, that’s life though. Dermot Desmond needs to stop behaving like a petulant child,he should know there’s very little loyalty in football nowadays.

Foolishly I watched that English FA cup final, before our game on Saturday – wee bet the reason.

What was that, seriously?

It wasn’t football anyway – like a fusion of chess and some playstation game.

Diabolical.

Thanks for the memories Postecoglou – crafty bassa, probably but he owes us nothing really.

HH.🍀

Madmitch
June 6, 2023 11:15 am

DM — all starting to make sense.

Came over because AP — his old manager — was now our new manager.

Hears the rumours — AP is for the off / he is 7K miles from home in a league nobody rates — and his morale suffers.

AP will have his list of talent that he wants from our squad — DM is probably only 5th or 6th on it and realises it will be a very long shot.

DM’s morale falls further and the Hibbee event happens.

All played out on live TV.

June 6, 2023 11:17 am

Mm 11.04

One of your posts I’m in total agreement with. The one proviso being your last sentence- highly unlikely a new manager will secure a Treble at first time of asking, so the cups are definitely up for grabs anyway.

The Huns will be tooling up for a few battles next season. Fail to prepare etc.

16 roads
June 6, 2023 11:26 am

The Postecoglou brand of football was absolutely brilliant have to say.

Five trophies is exceptional under any circumstances, however it was the style in which they were won made the success even sweeter.

That’s entertainment as The Jam once sang.

HH.🍀

Madmitch
June 6, 2023 11:28 am

CFC @ 11.17

There will be cups they win.

And there will be cups Ludge MIB / Ludge VAR give them.

Plus there will be opportunities our lack of of effort / focus / ambition / preparedness help them achieve.

First game vs TFOD2.1 — traditionally it is the third game of the season if we have a new manager.

Wonder what the SPL fixture computer will come out with this season?

June 6, 2023 11:31 am

Mm

As early as possible I’d assume.

June 6, 2023 11:33 am

Mm

Proviso being it doesn’t fall between tricky CL qualifiers- so early September.

The Star Above The Crest
June 6, 2023 11:33 am

JimDom @11.07

I totally agree. The League and Europe is where I believe our ambitions should lie. I would be inclined to use the cups to blood some of our youngsters. (I would be in favour of scrapping the League Cup altogether tbh).

June 6, 2023 12:16 pm

It’s as good a statement as we could expect, I suppose. The unmentioned futures of Kennedy, Strachan and Wallace from last night’s rumour mill will need to be clarified v soon I expect. I’m wondering if the remit for the new guy includes our current backroom staff or if he has carte blanche to bring his own team. We’re narrowing the field of prospectives before we begin if it’s the former.
I was talking to my wee guy about this stuff last night and I remembered that Anton McElhone, my ex-paperboy from Ru’glen was recently appointed head of the sports science dept (another Ange-insisted venture?) I wonder if he’ll be looking for a move as he used to be Spurs’ dietitian. A possible full circle completed!!

Celtic1member1vote
June 6, 2023 12:35 pm

Spurs have announced a 4 year contract for Ange.

June 6, 2023 1:16 pm

ANGE POSTECOGLU…..he never stops…..looking for a better opportunity!

In the last few days we saw the real Ange. For me, he was not what was said on the bottle. A good manager, Yes, undoubtedly. However, also, a fake. No best wishes from me.

What his departure does show is the folly of not having a Director of Football, or a sporting director to facilitate continuity. In recruiting a new manager some important questions need to asked. Here are a few.

Do we continue with Angeball?

Which candidates could continue Angeball?

What are the implications for the squad of hiring each candidate?

Who at Celtic is capable of answering these and other important football issues?

The answer is nobody.

Usually a football director is appointed before a manager and he or she brings in a manager that fits with a particular way of playing the game. We are miles away from that structure and process.

It is a mess, my friends! It is not just the fans that were conned.

Rebus

June 6, 2023 1:20 pm

Rebus…great points! Sounds very much like succession planning!
#WeNeverLearnCsc

óglach
June 6, 2023 1:35 pm

Celtic1member1vote
Spurs have announced a 4 year contract for Ange.
====
That’ll be one big payout for him even should he fail to impress in North London. A 4-year deal, Spurs must have been really keen (pardon the pun) to secure his services. I expect them to come after Kyogo next and SMSM pish about £30 mill for KF is well wide of the mark. If he should go (and I really hope he doesn’t) I think we’ll be surprised by how little he is sold for, a bit like JJ. Kennedy and Strachan can leave – no loss there I think. I can remember them standing mute during Lenny’s last outing, which is apart from Strachan playing Fortnite on his tablet during matches.

As for Ange – came and did a good job and he was very well remunerated for doing so but he is as big a fraud as Brendan is accused of being. All that chest pumping and we never stop shite and mentioning the late Tommy Burns. He even blatantly rubbed our noses in it by bringing his agent who was negotiating with Spurs onto the Celtic Park pitch while we were celebrating winning the league. How low a move was that? Initially, I believed that Ange was acting in a professional manner and everything was on hold until after the season was completed then taking it from there, that is why I thought he might actually stay but it seems that discussions had been going on for a bit and we were being mugged off by him. Well in good old Australian fashion my parting message for Postecoglou ‘Bugger off mate’

SteveNaive
June 6, 2023 1:37 pm

Of course staff and players had an idea but he never told them officially until Saturday night.

CFC
A new starting CH or back up.
You don’t rate Kobayashi ?
In light of recent events I’d take Starfelt’s league form for next season.
Knutson being mentioned all over Europe and a long shot if he came to us.
If he did I think we’d be here again in two years.

JimmynotPaul
June 6, 2023 1:40 pm

Hi all.
Rebus, very valid points.
The look on Desmond and Maxwell’s faces, at the cup final, said it all, conned indeed.
Latest odds from Skybet.
Marcesa 6/4.
Rodgers 5/2
Knudsen 6/1
Moyes 8/1
Potter 9/1
KENNEDY 9/1.
The market has been, incredibly, vo!atile, which tells me, the bookies are stabbing in the dark as much as we are ( and possibly as much as Celtic PLC are )

Frodshambhoy
June 6, 2023 1:47 pm

JimmynotPaul
Latest odds from Skybet.
Marcesa 6/4.
Rodgers 5/2
Knudsen 6/1
Moyes 8/1
Potter 9/1
KENNEDY 9/1.

Knudsen or Potter for me out of that list.
Potter jumped ship at Brighton. Big mistake. He should learn from that.