The moral code

It’s been weeks of Brendan news now, every angle already heavily scrutinized. Until the signings start rolling in, and the preseason games commence, it will be a long summer if we don’t change the record.

I’ve wanted to write this article for a while, infact I would like to do it yearly, and cover the biggest stories in that world.
The world of cheating in sport.

Cheating itself is easily defined but in my mind there’s different levels.
Pulling over for a burger enroute to a job then telling the boss traffic was bad,,,
The bar owner sticking some water in the beer keg on Saturday evening,,,
Getting on the bus quicker than the bloke who was in line before you,,,
I suppose I’m conditioned to accept a certain level of technical cheating, but that’s not the case at all when it comes to sports.
The competition between 2 or 22 athletes must always be pure everyone involved starting on the same baseline, simply people testing their specific skills against other people adhering to the competitions rules.
That’s it, no ifs, and, or buts.

The very essence of competitive sport is cemented in the fact all are born equal, so shall compete as equals.
‘Tipping the scales’ is truly abhorrent and I fail to see the upside. There’s no glory involved as deep down they must realize they cheated.
There’s no dignity involved, how can they look in the mirror?
If cheating is evil then I suppose it’s true draw is the root of all evil, there’s generally money involved.

So I suppose in some way this is an article to celebrate cheaters getting caught, the only way we are aware of the event. I like to believe every major cheating scandal stops two or three others, but unfortunately they just keep on coming.
Perhaps jail time would deter cheating,,well that’s exactly what’s happening to these two idiots below.

I never thought I’d see a fishing scandal. There seemed to be a moral code amongst anglers,,a love of the land, appreciation for nature, the fishing itself reward enough never mind the competition.
I picture a solitary figure, line out, wrapped in his own thoughts.
A man balanced on a simple wooden boat, repeatedly targeting that one spot, the whoosh of his line the only sound bar the birds.

Not the Yanks. They do it big, bigger than it should be. Huge bright Cadillacs of the water, with the Bluetooth Bose sound system (gotta have tunes when you’re out on the water), somewhere to cook the victim there and then, a toilet, Captains chair with windshield, back board for swimming and diving off, storage for lots of crap, and of course an engine that would wake up Moby Dick.
Theirs cost them 100k, and now it was forfeited.
Jail time and boat gone.
My respect for fishermen just increased again, they ain’t falling for the bait, pardon the pun.
They tried to cheat the system for 50k prize money, now they are deprived of their liberty, double the prize money via the boat, and banned from the sport.
It’s not just water under the bridge, sorry couldnt resist.

The Chess scandal still makes me laugh, the ingenuity and downright unexpectedness in the manner of the cheating.
To summarize an average Chess player rose to the top of the heap unexpectedly. He was discovered using anal beads that gave out vibrations on demand, those beads were activated by his friend who was using a chess computer program to vibrate moves to him.
Fair play to everyone involved for catching that one,,he’s got something up his arse wouldn’t have been my top theory.

It does put chess in an awkward position, and probably it’s competitors too if they’re getting probed, but I’m glad all the bad stuff finally came out,,last one I promise.

Now the next case, all joking aside, truly disgusted me.
The Paralympics games themselves had their own scandal.
To summarize, disabled athletes are graded and the competition organizers use those grades to form classes of competitors in each sport.
Each athletes grading is witnessed, and it’s emerged some have been intentionally misrepresenting their abilities.
The Discus champ was just banned for two years for this very reason.

I could say a lot about the above case, but all Ill say is that it shows cheating and sports are unfortunately linked.

It’s not just sports of course, there’s a musical case of cheating that will hit much harder to home for many of us.
Everybody knows at least one UB40 song, even my mum.
That high pitched voice, that deep base and full musical sound with just the right amount of roots (thanks Astro), they are very well known if not an iconic band.

So when Ali called a meeting and explained he was going solo the group was shocked and sad, but they explained to him YOU are leaving UB40, we are the band and we will replace you.
You can’t use our bands name, and he agreed.
He took Astro presumably with the promise of bigger riches yet found the name Ali Campbell doesn’t sell as well as UB40 and the big riches just weren’t there.
So the idiot took the crazy decision to advertise his shows as UB40, and thus began the lawsuits.
Ali cheated, for money, and now he’s the rat in the kitchen,,I just had to.

As I type my former President is being prosecuted for cheating, my current Presidents son is admitting to cheating, Downing Street cheated the people out of their God given liberty if it was okay for them to congregate and party during lockdown,,,
there’s cheating place everywhere, so I suppose it should come as no surprise when the world of sports succombs.

Of course the biggest sport in the world is not without its scandals, but I do honestly believe the organizers are out to nip that in the bud.
Independent Regulator, FSR, VAR and all that jazz.

When reading of cheating elsewhere it truly does make me appreciate our clubs noble history.
‘We won it by playing pure inventive beautiful football’ will never be said by Jose, but Jock sealed his immortality with that performance and result. Cheating? Aye, maybe on their part, just like Jose in Seville.
Sir Alex himself said ‘somethings gotta be done’ after watching that game, which kinda says it all to me.

There’s been periods when our beloved club hasn’t covered itself in glory, but actual cheaters?
That’s just not the Celtic way full stop.
Sitting here now I like to believe there would be a revolution if our board sanctioned actual cheating. That would betray our history, it would be the ultimate betrayal as far as I’m concerned.

So the moral of the story is,,,if we ever feel the PLC are actually cheating,,,,
vote for a board full of fishermen.

By Mahe

June 26, 2023 1:13 am

Final Day results. I didn’t want to rush these as it was a bit of a tight finish,and needed some checking over. If anyone thinks I might have erred in my calculations,there’s a good chance they are right! All they have to do is ask me to check again,it will be my pleasure and the requisite apology goes without saying.

I’m not sure that everyone wants their scores displayed though,but just ask on here if you do.

The winner is GORDON64!!!!! Drumroll…

GORDON64-177.48

BMCUWP-168.95

TWIST-150.08

16 ROADS-148.98

AULDBHOY67-147.18

CRAIG76-139.5

There was some bunching up behind,as well as a couple who found the distance too great for them. I’m very grateful to everyone who took part,I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. I certainly didn’t hammer the bookies as much as I would have liked-those two seconds on Tuesday would have made such a huge difference,you would not believe!-and I clearly ran out of pace towards the end,relinquishing the lead to a stayer in GORDON64

No loss what a friend gets though.

My £30 will be going to CRUK or McMillan. I think I can guess where TWISTS will be putting his £10 free bet. I’ll contact him to ask what it is and send him a screen shot of the bet. I will also do the same with Gordon,who can let the site know his charity of choice should he wish.

IniquitousIV
June 26, 2023 1:38 am

Morning Mahe:
Smashing article. The fishing story did not surprise me. In 1987, Carl Hiaasen, a journalist with the Miami Herald, wrote an hilarious novel about organized cheating in Bass fishing competitions in Florida, which generate huge prizes.

The book is called Double Whammy, and it is fiction, but like much of Hiassen’s work, it is based on actual events. It is worth a read.
IniquitousIV

June 26, 2023 1:47 am

Well done G64

timhorton
June 26, 2023 2:12 am

Excellent interview with Hans Zimmer on 60 mnts. tonight.

timhorton
June 26, 2023 2:15 am

Anyone read The Rebels Of Ireland by Edward Rutherfurd….if so is it a good read.

Kevin
June 26, 2023 4:57 am

Morning bhoys, cheats never win they say, they all eventually get caught, then revisionism happens and its as if nothing happened.

Weirdspecies.csc

KLV

June 26, 2023 6:17 am

That book by Carl Hiaasen was the first thing that sprang to my mind too when I read the article! Is that the one with the tough guy who has a food blender attached to his arm,the one with the former Florida governor turned eco-warrior?

His books are very very funny,very clever satires on the US in general and Florida in particular. Sadly,too many of his plots,unimaginable maybe at the time,are coming true.

June 26, 2023 8:04 am

According to Neil Lennon, we now have a good chance of reaching 56 titles before Rangers.

Neil knows you have to play the game in Scotland, if you want the cheques to keep arriving.

You want quoted? Learn to lie through your teeth!

The Gombeen Man
June 26, 2023 8:12 am

Mahe,

A good read.

– Why do humans cheat?

See story below…

Óglach,

Those Vikings have been shaping history for centuries. Even their descendants, the Normans were no slouches.

I’m sure that things aren’t perfect in Scandinavia either but there’s a sense that the culture there is healthier than in the British Isle.

Chairbhoy,

We’re all the victims of a conditioned perspective of the world. I once chatted to a guy in London who clinged to the view that things were deteriorating.

When was he referring to?

The London of Dickens? The plague? The Great Fire? Medieval London?

We look at everything through programmed eyes.

It can only be a positive to challenge our restricted narrative from time to time.

– See below.

Bawheid,

Thanks those numbers are stark.

At the time of An Gorta Mór, Ireland and England shared similar population numbers. The Irish population halved over a period of a few years.

A reduction of 4 million. 2 million dead and 2 million forced into emigration.

So too the hundreds of thousands of Irish butchered and starved by the English and Scots since the Tudor era.

And yet Britons still cling to that self-seeking, moral high ground.

Some believe the population in what’s called the Republic will increase to over 10m by the latter part of this century.

Awe Naw,

I always take a great deal from your contributions. Sometimes I find it worthwhile to make myself look at things from a different perspective.

I came across your post about your friend who took his own life a number of hours after you posted it. By that time things had moved on here but I’m glad you shared that.

Auldheid/Chairbhoy/BMCUWPS/Mad Mitch,

‘I’ enjoy these insights from time to time…

“A sadhu (holy man) and a womaniser see a beautiful woman.

The womaniser observes a lustful object in her.

The Sadhu observes the Devi (Goddess) in her.

A child sees none of the above.

The ‘observed’ is the same for all. But the observer is able to see only himself in the observed.

This is the observer is the observed.”

– And in posts too I guess.

Have a great day.

Ernie Lynch
June 26, 2023 8:53 am

Gordon64
BMCUWP Nought wrong with healthy political debate on the blog however I fear ELs influence could be similar to that on CQN especially prior to the Referendum which was toxic HH

##

Nationalists tend to be intolerant and authoritarian towards any one that seeks to challenge them.

You might recognise that in the way the Board of Deputies used their influence to try to stop the screening of the Corbyn film at Glastonbury (and elsewhere).

Beyond that? ……………

Ernie Lynch
June 26, 2023 9:10 am

‘ if we ever feel the PLC are actually cheating’

###

An altogether too vague and subjective metric.

óglach
June 26, 2023 9:51 am

Pin pulled from grenade moment. Should the participation of Transwomen in women’s sports be allowed and encouraged thus denying biological females who have spent years training to become elite athletes the chance to win a trophy or should it be deemed unfair and tantamount to cheating? Remember perhaps the world’s GOAT female tennis player Serena Williams being easily defeated in an exhibition match by a male ranked 203rd or the heavy defeat of the women’s US soccer team in a friendly against a team of 15-year-old boys.

Chairbhoy
June 26, 2023 9:52 am

The Gombeen Man @ 8:12 am,

When was he referring to?

The London of Dickens? The plague? The Great Fire? Medieval London?

We look at everything through programmed eyes.

Yes, of course you are quite right, at anytime that world view from the chap in London can be true, firstly due to conditioning and secondly the natural state of the universe is entropy.

I was born in the Monklands in Scotland, I was brought up to be; a Roman Catholic, a Socialist and to be a thoughtful and chivalrous member of society.

Sometimes I even was…

From my teenage years I lived in Tory Central in the Chilterns, where politics, religion and personal behaviour and goals are looked on very differently.

The UK Government represents the latter of course, that’s how democracies “work.”

Personally I believe all we are taught is wrong minded, of course you can look at the ying and yang that is the nature of the world and modify your thoughts and approach by looking at the cause and effect, but you are still dealing with your conditioned self.

The only way to true understanding is to rid ourselves of our conditioned self and live your life as it is, not bound to anything.

This approach to life is ancient and is called many things Self Actualization, Transcendental Enlightenment, The Way, Christ Consciousness, Buddha Nature etc

Of course the percentage of the world population that seeks these paths is very small and those that self actualize is minute.

Therefore looking at our society and seeing issues with the way we nurture and develop our children and youth, then comparing other better approaches such as the Scandinavians’ is a clever, smart approach and I wasn’t critical of that.

My issue comes down to the preconditioning you talk about, vast numbers of voters in the UK will vote for the right wing party that denegrates our society and promotes greed and selfishness.

Until that changes for the better, we will need to be aware that our government and society are not going to help us, and understand and get the skills that are necessary to nurture and develop “better rounded young people”.

In terms of football I would suggest that to produce better footballers through our youth, top quality elite academies have a well proven track record of delivering this.

If you look at Mahe’s lead “The Moral Code”,

“Cheating itself is easily defined but in my mind there’s different levels.
The bar owner sticking some water in the beer keg on Saturday evening,,,
Getting on the bus quicker than the bloke who was in line before you,,,

That’s it, no ifs, and, or buts.”

He suggests there is different levels of “cheating” some more acceptable than others – though in sport no level of cheating is acceptable.

That is not the way I would look on life, as soon as you decide there are different levels of cheating, then you have to accept all forms of cheating, pick n’mix doesn’t work…

…The truth is still the truth even if no one believes it. A lie is still a lie, even if everyone believes it.

16 roads
June 26, 2023 10:04 am

UB40 my favourite band of all time.

The first time I went to one of their concerts after the split was @ the Limelight in Belfast, genuinely wasn’t aware that a fall out had occurred within the group.

Duncan, brother of Ali and Robin was lead vocalist at said gig. We were well back away from the stage, and the venue is dark therefore I couldn’t really recognise any of their faces.The brother sounded the exact same as Ali.

It was only a few days later in work, speaking with another UB40 fanatic who was also in attendance – I said the gig was brilliant,Ali outstanding singer etcetera.The bloke replied that wasn’t Ali singing ya effin eejit ye.

Anyway poor Duncan subsequently had a brain hemorrhage.
Mike Travers and Astro have sadly passed away.

The feud as mahe has already alluded to was the result of money and greed, apparently and there were no winners.

When UB40 were at the top of their game – they were without equal.Sounded just as good live as they did on record.

HH.🍀

Ernie Lynch
June 26, 2023 10:18 am

“today, with the way things are in all circles, in soccer, in society, in politics, where it seems anything goes, a gesture of honesty goes down well.”

16 roads
June 26, 2023 10:23 am

Anyone looking for a laugh check out Andrew Lawrence’s latest sketch on YouTube, Glastonbury. 😂😂😂😂😂

June 26, 2023 11:59 am

Once, while watching a news feature on a tsunami, I had a falling off my donkey moment. As the power of the water destroyed and swept almost everything before it, I thought it symbolised Life. Curious that I should feel that way, when what was actually happening was the opposite…the destruction of Life!

We are swept along by Life. Some manage to grab a trailing branch of a tree that offers respite; others continue to be swept towards God knows where! For some, Celtic can be the trailing branch; for others it could be religion or, better, spirituality.

Experiencing your own tsunami is one thing…hard enough to manage…but to see your sons swept along in their own flood is much more difficult because usually you cannot be the trailing branch of that friendly tree. We raised idealists, not deliberately, it just happened. Tsunamis are very hard on idealists. Being cheated for the first time is a hard blow to absorb. Holding to your beliefs while being cheated is very hard. In fact, it may be impossible, without some form of compromise. Sadly, as you watch your kids enter further into the vortex of their tsunami, you realise that you could have prepared them better for it. Even now, with experience, I still do not know how to do that. My fear is that I may produce cynics or be seen to advocate getting on the cheating bandwagon.Pragmatism is a dangerous drug that needs a government health warning!

I found it impossible to talk to my guys about the birds and bees. I had no hope of talking about the above. All that was left was to teach by example and yet, I am a flawed model.

The above has been a presentation by only one of my many selfs and may be irrelevant tomorrow!

Rebus

óglach
June 26, 2023 12:25 pm

Former Celt Robbie Keane has been named manager of Maccabi Tel Aviv🤨

June 26, 2023 12:30 pm

Rebus…I might’ve told this before on here, I’ve definitely told it more than once in my life! My mum and dad both worked Friday nights in the Jeanie Deans pub at Paisley Rd Toll many, many years ago. My mum’s sister, not much older than me would babysit me and my 4 siblings while they worked. An English couple and their son Robert, a couple of year younger than me and my brother, Mick, moved into our area and he kicked about with me and Mick for a while. Anyhoo, that’s the background for this particular Birds and Bees tale.
Watching tv while mum and dad were working A Bouquet of Barbed Wire came on, a story of incestuous sex and graphic for the time, certainly to us wee boys. Wee boys but not inexperienced in the world of sex. Robert’s parents were obviously quite opened minded as they had copies of Playboy, Club, Mayfair and such like lying about the coffee table. Me and Mick always wanted to go into Robert’s house when his mum and dad were working, Robert never really got it as the books were always there, no big deal to him!! Back, though to A Bouquet of Barbed Wire, during a sex scene Mick and I told my young, innocent Catholic auntie that we knew all about sex and proceeded to show her, me lying on top of Mick on the living room floor, how to make babies! (Fully clothed by the way, we were only about 10 or 11 at the time) She was shocked, as you can imagine. She threw a bucket of water over us and sent us to bed with the warning that my mum would be told everything when she got home!
Next day, my mum called us both into our bedroom, questioned every part of how we got to imitating sex on the floor, asked about Robert’s dad’s books. Seriously told us off for our behaviour and warned us it wasn’t finished as our dad would be having a word with us! Of course, the threat of my old man having a word was worse than my old man having a word, although he had on occasion taking a belt to us!!
Sunday came and went, no word from dad. Monday came and went no word from dad. Tuesday, my old man worked overtime, when he got home mum said “Boys, into your room, your dad wants a word with you!” Mick and I sat on our beds, facing each other, terrified…then dad came in!
He was awkward, a bit of a prude by nature, walking back and forward at the bottom of the bed, obviously extremely uncomfortable at the position my mum and us had put him in! “Em, boys, eh…boys! Ahhh, your eh, mum eh asked me to have a word with you! About the eh…the eh facts of life…” He paced the room, in my mind’s eye his discomfort still clear to me nearly 50 years later. “Eh, aye, your mum says I’ve to explain some things to you…” We had no idea what was coming next…”Boys, boys…gonnae no play wi Robert!!” 🤣🤣🤣

June 26, 2023 12:39 pm

REBUS67

I’ve never been a parent,but I have been a son for sixty years next month. I think it’s fair to say that my parents didn’t have all the discussions with me that today’s “experts” recommend either. They didn’t have to.

I learned from their principles,from the example they led. Yes,of course I found many of them restricting at times,unsuitable for my lifestyle at the time-but that was me! Still is,I’m far from perfect.

You and J have raised three very successful kids. I think they will relate to what I’ve just typed. That we never needed to have it spelled out for us. We watched. We listened. And we learned.

Nobody is perfect. But nobody should beat themselves up for that.

June 26, 2023 12:43 pm

MCCAFF

PMSL!!!

Mind you,Susan Penhaligon. Possibly the only one to rival Stevie Nicks for my affections at the time…

June 26, 2023 12:45 pm

OGLACH

Good luck to Robbie,I wish him every success. Taken him a while to get on the ladder,but hopefully this is only his first rung of many.

June 26, 2023 1:20 pm

McCaff,

That is a very funny story!

I had a similar experience where Mum coerced Dad into telling me the facts.

I had to go into the bedroom and wait for Dad. He arrived eventually and said your Mum wants me to talk to you. Do you know what it is about? I replied that I did. He then said, “Fine, we just sit here quietly for a few moments. When we come out, smile at your mother!”

Bobby,

I am comfortable with my guys but I am on the road to greater self awareness.

Rebus

June 26, 2023 1:23 pm

Craig Brown deid

IniquitousIV
June 26, 2023 1:33 pm

“INIQUITOUS IV

That book by Carl Hiaasen was the first thing that sprang to my mind too when I read the article! Is that the one with the tough guy who has a food blender attached to his arm, the one with the former Florida governor turned eco-warrior?”
—————————————-
Hi Bobby. Indeed it was. The eco-warrior re-named himself Skink. I have read all Hiassen’s work, and often laugh out loud while reading them. Running through all of them of course is the serious theme that developers and corrupt politicians have utterly desecrated the once magnificent Everglades. And as you say, it continues to this day.
Cheers,
IniquitousIV

IniquitousIV
June 26, 2023 1:42 pm

bada bing1
“Craig Brown deid”
——————————
Bada, I was sorry to read that. Craig Brown and Andy Roxburgh were my instructors when I did my SFA Licence course. Roxburgh, despite the fact he and I went to the same school, Bellahouston Academy ( I was in the second team when he was in the first team ) was an arrogant prick with no sense of humour. Brown ( despite being a mason ) was very sociable, and always joined us for lunch during the 7-8 day course. He had a lot of funny stories, and all of the students, amateur, junior and professional, found him to be very entertaining. A nice guy.

The Real McCoy
June 26, 2023 2:24 pm

A Monentary Lapse Of Reason 🤔

CRAIG BROWN: I’M NO HATE BIGOT;
Scotland’s boss sang Billy Boys to his lover.

Ach well.

I Was Only Joking 🙃

HH💚🍀

June 26, 2023 2:43 pm

AFTERNOON ALL and JIMTHETIM53,,the real McCoy how are you my coatbrig glenboag moodiesburn muirhead buddy👍 as regards craig brown may he rest in peace, ive no thoughts either way👍

The Real McCoy
June 26, 2023 2:49 pm

BP 👋🏻
Ha I’m mainly Bellshill/ Motherwell pal.
Go touring tae Glenboag, Muirheed 😂
Oh , re The Big Shop…
The only Big Shop I get to now is when
Lady McCoy orders me to Asda 🤷🏻‍♂️
HH💚🍀

June 26, 2023 2:58 pm

remember a discussion with jimthetim53 and the late garry duncan.or Delaney’s dunky I posted a hymn ,hail gloria st patrick hail saint of our isle, but instead of saint I put queen of our isle ,by god did garry give me some abuse🤩🤩 catholic schools are us🤩BTW i was and still am proud to have gone to a catholic school,,another true story👍

June 26, 2023 3:02 pm

THE REAL MCOY do you remember the wee shop ,had my first pint in there in 1970 ,I was only seventeen ,but my dad knew the barman🤩🤩

June 26, 2023 3:30 pm

BIGPACKY

The only pub I wasn’t allowed alcohol in was the one which was owned by my Dad’s pal. Alfie. Castlehill Vaults in Ardrossan. Coca Cola only for me. I was drinking everywhere else in town-Liz from the Lauriston went ballistic when she found out I was in for my 18th birthday. I’d been drinking in there for over three years!

She wasn’t alone either,but I was in a certain establishment in Kilwinning,late 90s,with some good pals. She spotted me-and reamed me out in front of everyone! Well,that was me trashed then.

She ran a fine place though when I was a kid. I met some great people there,including SOLKITTS. And we could grab the seat beside the jukebox and give it a hefty nudge when someone put on something not quite to our liking!

June 26, 2023 3:48 pm

BOBBY👍

June 26, 2023 3:52 pm

MAHE

Wingers? We’ve got millions of them!

Seems a tidy wee player,but wee being the operative word. We are regularly kicked off the park,and some height and strength is much needed.

June 26, 2023 4:01 pm

MAHE long time no speak😎hope you are well, agree with bobby we need height or the govan Galactic’s will run all over us😎

June 26, 2023 4:12 pm

TGM

“A sadhu (holy man) and a womaniser see a beautiful woman.

The womaniser observes a lustful object in her.

The Sadhu observes the Devi (Goddess) in her.

A child sees none of the above.

This is the observer is the observed.”

– And in posts too I guess.

===========

I like this one which has the common ground that it is something inside that determines our reality.

Three guys are waiting for the bus to get to work.
It comes along but even though half empty shoots past the three of them.
The first guy goes ballistic, runs back up the path into his house, picks up the phone, phones the bus company, hurls abuse at the operator who answers and has a heart attack.
The second guy shakes his head, walks back into his house, takes out a pen and paper and writes a strong letter of complaint to the bus company and goes back to catch a later bus.
The third guy shakes his head, looks at his watch, looks at the sky and sees it is bright and clear. He calculates that if he walks (and he could do with the exercise) he will only be 15 minutes later than normal and 15 earlier than if he hangs around for the next bus. So off he toddles to work.
The exact same event triggered of three different reactions/responses in the three guys. That is because the event triggered off something already in them that had nothing to do with the actual event. The reacted to what they perceived the event MEANT for them according to their own experience.

Looking at the meaning we each give something and why is an excellent way of establishing how our thinking creates the reality we each live and the freedom from appreciating it is a matter of our individual choice

PS An event can be an imagined one in the future, like the one under discussion. It does not have to be real, we only need to believe it to be so.

16 roads
June 26, 2023 4:16 pm

Moneyball.

Both signing do seem like good prospects going forward, still gambling though.

When,if ever are we going to sign an established professional for decent money?

Does the club have to punt the likes of wee Kyogo first, before they buy a player in the £5million-£10million bracket?

What’s happening with the £30million war chest? 🤔

Chairbhoy
June 26, 2023 4:20 pm

Mahe, BMCUWP,

Not sure about Marco Tilio, he seems like a Barry Bannon, Ryan Fraser type player to me – if the rumours are true, guess we’ll have to trust the scouts on this one.

16 Roads,

Yes, with Odin already in, you feel that if he signs Marco will be our second Moneyball recruit.

óglach
June 26, 2023 4:22 pm

Could it be we are signing another small winger because Abada has allegedly knocked back another contract extension? Noise is Liel wants to leave, Brendan to hold talks with him soon? I’d also like us to try and sign a Vic W type or 2 as well as a couple of Johan (Dolph) Mjällby defenders. The squad lacks balance imho, with too many slightly built players. All when and good if they have the skills of an Iniesta, Messi, or Roberto Carlos, and we’ll all admit they don’t. Our recent Norwegian signing isn’t the tallest either being listed as 5’9” in height. We could also do with a seasoned Chris Sutton type upfront. Oh may yet prove me wrong but I think he is just a bit too raw at present.

Anyway, early doors of Brendan’s tenure Mk2. Hopefully, he has his eyes on a couple of seasoned pros rather than players identified under the previous management.

Ps – Opps – Odin is actually 5’11 – Sorry Odin😯

June 26, 2023 4:26 pm

IniquitousIV
“INIQUITOUS IV

—————————————-
Cheers,
IniquitousIV
=========
Downloading the Florida story to my Kindle. sounds like fun.

óglach
June 26, 2023 4:30 pm

Book recommendation ‘ Legacy of Violence, a history of the British Empire’. Author Caroline Elkins.

June 26, 2023 4:40 pm

AULDHEID

Bus stops? I was in my local a couple of weeks ago when my mate Davie arrived with his partner,Sue. I’ve known Davie pretty much since I arrived in Swindon in 2001. Big Celtic man from Paisley. Went to the bar and his two brothers,Willie and Jimmy,turned up anaw. I felt like I was intruding on a family gathering!

Willie told Sue a wee tale from about 15 years ago. Surprised me. The amount he drinks,I’m surprised he can remember last week. I was about to make a delivery to a Tesco,he was standing in pouring rain about 745am on a Saturday. I stopped,wound down the window,asked how he was.

Not great.

You off to work?

Aye.

Hard night?

Better believe it.

Gonna make it in time?

Nae chance.

Want a lift?

Thought ye’d never f*****g ask!

He worked about five miles away,but he got there in time. Dunno what his job was,but he could barely stand!

Smashing lad,but permanently smashed…

ASWGL
June 26, 2023 5:02 pm

Mahe that was a refreshing read today, I had seen the article on the cheating at the Bass Fishing a while ago, chancers indeed.

As some of you may know I do some fly fishing, and had the misfortune to be involved in a national competition quite a few years back, and the cheating was rife at the comp, we had chancers who tried to weigh in fish that day that had obviously been caught a few days earlier.

The cheating was not restricted to that pair though, when bank fishing you are only supposed to wade in so far that the judges can see daylight between your legs, well some chancers brought along a box to stand on, so they could wade out further (still showing daylight between their legs) One even brought a ladder, there are many other examples of what was wrong with that national comp, so I just stopped doing comps, besides cheating themselves, by pretending to be better fishermen than they are, it’s plain cheating of the other competitors.

As you say there are many forms of cheating in football, and it is my strict belief that the mob across the water have it ingrained into them, from EBT’s to performance enhancing supplements, I am of the firm belief that they cannot win fair and square.

Neil Lennon should hang his head in shame, even suggesting they have an abundance of titles ffs.

Chairbhoy
June 26, 2023 5:04 pm

óglach @ 4:22 pm,

Brendan said this…

“…it’s about offensive, aggressive, attacking football.

What I am coming into is a team that’s playing that way. We’ll just look at adapting that and making changes.

‘In terms of recruitment, I am the one that knows how I want the team to play and I have to be involved in those discussions.’

So sounds, OK.

June 26, 2023 5:06 pm

ASWGL how are you pal, think mr lennon is trying to toe the party line if you get my drift,h.h.

ASWGL
June 26, 2023 5:13 pm

Hi Big Packy I’m doing okay here thanks, besides being in and out of hospital the last few months, in saying that there is always many worse off than ourselves, so I consider myself lucky.

Hope you wee Joan and the pooches are all well.

June 26, 2023 5:14 pm

We all have our uses.

Without a position at Celtic could PL remain on the ECA?

That should keep him busy.

IniquitousIV
June 26, 2023 5:25 pm

“IniquitousIV
=========
Downloading the Florida story to my Kindle. sounds like fun.”
———————————-
I just finished Skinny Dip. A good read.

June 26, 2023 5:32 pm

ASWGL, sorry to here you have not been well lately, myself and wee joan send you our heartfelt good wishes👍