A litany of greats

A club tying down it’s best players with pay raises and long term contracts is a clever club. A structure is only as strong as it’s foundation, and it’s very pleasing the club have wisely embarked on a mission to secure their short to medium term future with a series of ‘going nowhere’ contract extensions. Our Captain being the latest signing until retirement most likely.

He receives plenty of praise on these pages alongside some valid criticism, but he’s truly grown on me, and grown into his new role. I’m delighted he signed up, I’m sure he is also, and although I’m not a huge fan of the Reo/Matt/Calmac midfield I certainly wouldn’t drop him. He’s earned his Captaincy, and earned the right to start games Captaincy aside.

The announcement wasn’t met with much fanfare, afterall it’s new signings that everyone craves right now.
But I feel it’s worth noting just how lucky we are in that we somehow have managed to great Captains, consistently.

Maybe we would fully fall in love with a youngish Captain driving his side to a treble,,,but that’s been delivered by a few.
If that curler had went in against the mighty Real, he could forever say he scored against the cream of Europe,,,but one Captain actually drove his team to become the cream of Europe.
Maybe we are underestimating just how much bring a one club Captain means,,,understandable given a previous legend did the same but without the early loan such was his quality.

One of Callums problems, and it’s a nice problem to have, is that the role of Captaining the world famous Glasgow Celtic has fallen to a litany of greats before him.
We truly have been blessed in that department, for a reason or reasons that I just can’t pin down.
He’s simply another good Captain to us Tims, whereas another fanbase might be drooling over finding a good player worthy of the armband, succeeding with the armband, then signing up for the rest of his career. That’s not a dig, it’s a compliment to the many great players we’ve watched excel with the armband on.

Imagine waking up to the news we had signed a 26 year old Champions League winning defensive midfielder. There would be coffee stains and dirty phone screens the world over.
Well in ’97 the Tims awoke to that exact news and what a Captain he became, almost bringing another European trophy with him. Paul Lambert was one hell of a signing, and an even better Captain.

Imagine signing a legendary Captain who had just dominated the biggest league in the world for a decade, with two Champions League winners medals in the back of a drawer somewhere. A Captain know for demanding the utmost from those around him,,he briefly came, saw, and conquered for his final battle campaign. Cheers Keano.

Imagine being asked to a golf outing to shoot 18 holes, dine, then give some tales about your long spell as Celtic Captain only to find Delaney’s Dunky with one hand on your shoulder, and a big spliff in the other hand! The look on Tom Boyds face was priceless, as was Garry’s, Rest in Peace brother.

Yes we had some fantastic Captains, and now some fantastic news about our current Captain. I think it’s fair to state that the armband doesn’t shrink to fit ok players, but inspires good players to dare and be great.
Many achieved it, let’s hope Calum does also.

By Mahe
sentinelcelts@gmail.com

Sol Kitts
July 12, 2023 6:16 am

Dubaibhoy
July 12, 2023 6:56 am

Not so sure if Calum qualifies as a Celtic great when nobody seems to know his best position. Hopefully Brendan will get him back to his best.

July 12, 2023 7:19 am

Good morning, friends.
King Billy was a truly magnificent one club captain. A few years back he was the recipient of an award from Athletico Bilbao. Every year, that club pick one player who has been a ‘one club guy’ and Billy was honoured to receive it. So it’s fitting that another of our 100% faithful players, James Forrest, has his testimonial against Bilbao.
It’ll be the first home game under Brendan v2 and with the proceeds also benefiting local charities (including the EK Hospice) then hopefully ticket sales pick up.
Tuesday 1 August at 7.30pm.

July 12, 2023 8:06 am

Callum already a Celtic great, for me.

Time to head for the hills!

TenzingCSC

July 12, 2023 8:56 am

JOBO

Totally agree. James Forrest deserves a much bigger turnout than currently appears likely. And Athletic Bilbao are a famous and worthy opponent. I’m at a loss as to why the take-up of tickets is so meagre.

The Gombeen Man
July 12, 2023 8:58 am

Thanks again Auldheid,

Unfortunately I just don’t think you are getting that this material was allegedly unlawfully obtained.

Can you not see that there’s an element of hypocrisy here?

You are criticising people for a perceived lack of probity while seemingly rationalising decisions to put sensitive, unlawfully obtained material in the public domain.

These rationalisations and actions possibly undermined any investigation into these matters.

Those actions helped to muddy the waters and divert attention from areas that were at the root of the issue.

Further, your decision to circulate highly sensitive material put the safety of people at risk.

This wasn’t simply a black and white matter like proving if a tax return had been submitted by a particular date. This was an extremely volatile, dangerous situation.

– You knew that and repeatedly decided to go ahead.

The decision to go back to CF in 2019 was astounding. Especially when one considers what had happened since 2013.
It also displayed a complete disregard for CF.

– When did you make it clear to the Celtic support that CF was the source of the material that you were using to challenge the actions of Celtic executives?

– Did you make it clear that the source of your information was not only a hacker who was subsequently arrested but who also sold unlawfully obtained material to Dave King?

– Were these facts made clear to supporters and shareholders who supported the campaign?

– Did you disclose the decision to go back to CF prior to the 2019 AGM to all of the shareholders that supported you?

Part of the dossier was given to you. Another part was apparently later sold to Dave King.

I’ve no idea of when and how material came into the hands of Dave King and exactly when he began to use it to manipulate the events.

– Don’t you feel a little uncomfortable by the fact that the same source was feeding you and Dave King?

I don’t know if there was any contact between King and CF during the acrimonious period surrounding the takeover from Charles Green at Ibrox.

What I do know is that a company known as the Worthington group published a document in December of 2016.

This document was published by a well known Celtic blog.

1) It claimed King paid for, as they described it –

‘stolen emails in February/March 2015.’

2) Worthington also revealed the personal details of the alleged hacker in 2016.

3) Worthington named another man, TW. This individual was the owner of a website. He allegedly started publishing CF information, shortly after King bought the information in 2015.

4) The document also claimed that a blog called Peter James later began publishing adverse material shortly afterwards.

The key takeaway here is December 2016. The date of the Worthington report. We can verify that was the date of the publication of the Worthington report.

At the conclusion of Craig Whyte’s trial in June of 2017. It was revealed in the tabloids that Donald Findlay QC stated that King bought a batch (of hacked material) between 2013/14.

– I’ve no idea where Mr Findlay got the information.

By June of 2017 the hacker had apparently been arrested on suspicion of extortion and computer offences.

His identity was revealed in the media at that time.

I don’t think anyone will be surprised to read that nothing seems to have come out of that investigation.

Dave King apparently handed his file to DS/DCI Robertson and indicated that the file wasn’t hacked. It had infact been given to CF by Whyte and he’d told CF to make the information public.

I’ve no idea what the facts are but it’s worth bearing in mind that if there was no hack. King couldn’t be accused of possessing unlawfully obtained data.

Very convenient.

(In the recent proceedings involving David Grier v the Lord Advocate & the Chief Constable the contents of the CF file given to DS Robertson were discussed.

Grier wanted access to the file.

Counsel for the LA and CC told the court that the contents were so sensitive that their disclosure would present a strong possibility of extortion. Limited disclosure was allowed in the presence of the data commissioner.)

Given the fact that the trial of Whyte attracted considerable publicity, the thinking behind the decision to go back to CF in what really amounted to a fishing expedition in 2019, was baffling.

This wasn’t fair on CF – given his well publicised legal difficulties.

This just doesn’t sit well.

2019 was two years after the Craig Whyte trial and the publicity of arrests and the ongoing fallout from the collapse of Rangers.

Three years after the publication of allegations by the Worthington Group and at least five years after Donald Findlay claimed King had purchased material.

Something was very off with the whole affair. Given the rapidly increasing toxicity, it would of been better for all concerned if discretion had been exercised.

I’m sorry to say that the tone of the emails you published yesterday from CF are not a source of comfort.

– Don’t publish anything else.

There was clearly something very unsavoury going on and what you were attempting to do was prove a point at a football club AGM.

It appears that you were so absorbed in the minutiae of the business of Resolution 12, that somehow common sense and balanced judgement had been completely abandoned.

The 5WA email.

Read the email again.

The alleged comments by the author of the 5WA email (ND) point to a very pressurised situation. You don’t appear to have considered the context that any decisions were made in.

Charles Green had taken things to the wire. Hadn’t he walked away from the first attempt to find an agreement? Clubs were in financial distress.

You appear disinterested in all of this.

I hope that you now appreciate that in the charged, volatile circumstances 2011/2012, there might be a whole host of entirely reasonable reasons for non-disclosure of information.

With that in mind it’s entirely understandable that you have chosen not to publish the names of anyone else that may have been involved in the events of 2019.

You are simply protecting sensitive information –  you have a fuller understanding of the context.

– Don’t name anyone else.

As I’ve tried to illustrate to you repeatedly these isolated emails don’t convey the context or other factors that may have been involved.

It’s taken me a while to piece together elements of this business that didn’t sit comfortably with me.

I followed this affair for years but didn’t realise the extent that we were relying on data from CF. I had naturally assumed that the reluctance of the media to get involved was completely down to a pro-Rangers mindset.

Partly that might still be the case but given what I now know it makes more sense in the post Levenson environment.

That may explain the reluctance of others to get involved too.

I’ve still got a feeling that we are not being told the full facts of what went on but it’s probably better that I never know.

Maybe everyone else knew of the details of the source of these disclosures and how Dave King was using the same source?

To think that Craig Whyte’s computer was actually the origin of years of conflict between Celtic supporters is bizarre and baffling.

The thought that we’ve gone back for more information after it became public knowledge that CF was on Dave King’s payroll is just embarrassing.

Hopefully some good will come of this murky business.

It’s a positive that Celtic were involved in the planning of FSR.

Finally, I’d suggest that there is a growing sense of a vendetta when I read certain posts.

What I’m referring to are terms like ‘pedrophile/pedrophobe. The use of such terms isn’t a good look.

It has a whiff of bullying.

That doesn’t sit well. Particularly when contrasted to the frequent references to forgiveness, Zen or spirituality.

The bigger the persona the bigger the shadow.

Everyone has a mask – even you

You don’t need to prove anything to anyone just let things go.

The Gombeen Man
July 12, 2023 9:14 am

Auldheid,

– I appreciate that I’ve posted quite a bit this morning.

I’m posting this now before things move on and it becomes difficult to introduce this into any dialogue that may develop.

Take your time to reply.

No rush.

Infact there’s no need to rush or even reply to either post.

On Saturday evening at 11.08pm you told the Blog.

“What I expect of politicians before going down the legislative route to impose anything, is expanding the existing Holyrood Commitee looking at the Future of Scottish Football, which Fulton McGregor MSP for Coatbridge heads, to form work groups with specific aims, as the most likely way forward.”

I’ve spent a bit of time reviewing the work already undertaken by this ‘Holyrood Committee. They are known as the Cross Party Group (CPG), Future of Football in Scotland.

Much of the confusion seems to have come from your statement at 11.08 pm on Saturday evening.

– From where did you get the idea that Fulton McGregor would most likely form Working Groups with specific aims?

– From where did you get the expectation that the CPG would be expanded before ‘politicians go down the legislative route to impose anything?’

These assertions directly led to the discovery that three members of the five man CPG have previously supported motions praising Rangers.

The reason I’m asking is that the assertions you made on Saturday seem completely beyond the purpose of the group.

This Cross-party group’s purpose:

‘To create a platform with key stakeholders, to discuss how football (and community football clubs) can help support the population being more active, linked to the overall National Active Framework.’

Fulton McGregor has asked 92 questions in the Scottish Parliament. I’ve looked at them all. In fairness he has displayed an impressive commitment to questions in the area of heath and welfare.

Similarly the Deputy Convenor, Jeremy Balfour has well known interests in the area of health and in particular disability issues.

I would just like to clarify what made you think that this CPG was likely to take on board matters that are clearly beyond it’s stated purpose?

Why do you think Mr McGregor is going to form Working Groups to look at things like a football Regulator and possibly related legislation?

From memory the next scheduled meeting of the CPG is towards the end of July.

There seems to be an issue with the link below. It was working yesterday.

Future of Football in Scotland | Scottish Parliament Website

I’m unlikely to be back on the blog until tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for the complimentary comments yesterday. Don’t worry the real football will be back soon.

Postscript,

If you find that I don’t reply to anything don’t think that I’ve ignored your post. If I don’t think there’s anything to be gained in going down cul-de-sacs, I usually let things go.

Till later.

July 12, 2023 9:45 am

James Forrest Testimonial should be on a Saturday at 3pm,would sell far more tickets

July 12, 2023 9:56 am

TMG

My conscience is clear and you are not my judge.

Apart from that the decision to go public was not mine or did you not read that bit?

Did you not read the bit where CF stuff re 2011 licence was not used openly and the decision was made to take a legal approach from 2014, before the info re DK connection surfaced.

It took a while to find a law firm not already involved with Rangers and all approaches and questions to UEFA were legitimate.

It is tiresome providing you information that you ignore or twist to meet your agenda whatever that is.

I find you untrustworthy and your belief in what CW or DK says rather than what I’ve set out is sniffy.

Shareholders signed up to Res12 soley on basis of 2011 licence material.and were kept up to date on progress on that issue.

When Res12 closed, whilst unhappy football justice was not done I and the other requisitioners, one a lawyer, had acted with integrity and discharged our responsibilities to them totally.

Are you suggesting they were lied to by me? Dangerous territory.

Don’t forget Celtic were fully aware of CF leaks as soon as they happened but point blank refused to go to UEFA to use their power under Uefa rules to ask questions of SFA and Rangers.

If you are going to pursue your campaign at least get your facts right and stop what looks like a smear campaign.

Where is the probity there?

Bye.

July 12, 2023 10:39 am

Some fascinating exchanges this morning, don’t stop!

You can’t accuse this site of being full of boring mundane shite 👌

Cosy Corner Bhoy
July 12, 2023 11:32 am

A live debate between Auldheid and The Gombeen Man would be a sell-out!😀
I certainly am intrigued and await the next exchanges, the only reservation being it seems to be getting somewhat personal. Debate should never be about personalities, only opinions and sometimes even facts
On a separate subject ATOB arranged a visit to Tennents brewery for BNCUWP Mr ATOB CCB and CCBs pal of over 50 years
Bloody marvellous TVM

Chairbhoy
July 12, 2023 11:40 am

Rebus67 @ 1:40 pm

Hi Everyone, including Lurkers,

I am not very smart. There are many, many things that I do not understand. Some, I never will understand. In addition, I suffer from the curse of being something of an idealist. If I feel something is wrong or unjust, I have to speak out, right or wrong.

Recently, we have had the public launch of the biggest review in years of our game. As we have seen over the last few days on here, the review has no difficulty in sparking heated debate.

Here is my dilemma. Why has it only been a minority of posters on here that have taken part? I just do not understand it. However, perhaps, I am getting nearer to the truth and I am ashamed.

I am fed up arguing points and getting nowhere. So, I can understand if folks that have already been burned once, do not wish to waste their time. I am not immune from these thoughts. Still, what hope is there of meaningful change if we leave it to those who relish these debates, or simply have greater stamina?

It is our game, and it should not just belong to a few.

While my admiration for those who pursue the task of Scottish Football reform has no bounds you hit the nail on the head when you talk about wasting one’s time.

Scotland’s national sport was in a reasonable place in the mid eighties, the National team and the Club scene was pretty good.

It certainly needed reform, innovation and modernisation but it was in a pretty good space.

Then Sir David Murray took over at Rangers F.C. and an apparatchik was made manager of the National team.

SFA men Andy Roxburgh and his No2 who was later promoted to No1, were placemen who saw the era of Scotland as a team hitting above it’s weight and qualifying for international competitions end.

Now you may say SDM and the SFA placemen differ, that’s not the case, they are cut from the same cloth.

It was exactly the wrong time for Scotland to embark on self-indulgent cronyism.

It set us back two generations and counting.

When the Rangers scandal was breaking back in early 2012, I commented that we should concentrate on highlihhting the side letters that proved the Rangers’ Players were not properly registered, rather than the Big Tax Case that was unproven at the time

The Battered Bunnet and Auldheid commented back that, that would be a waste of time.

Now the SFA had an investigation into Rangers called the LNS Inquiry, Stewart Regan stated that Campbell Ogilvie was heavily conflicted in the Rangers affair and that the investigation needed widening.

Procedures were then hijacked by the establishment as Neil Doncaster and the SPL took over and Stuart Regan was sidelined.

The LNS report became secret, the secret 5WA was then implemented and the LNS Commision was then established to whitewash everything.

It had Campbell Ogilvie (SFA President) as a chief witness and Sandy Bryson (SFA) to defend the side letter registrations – proving TBB and Auldheid correct.

The whole thing was an embarrassing sham and the perpetrators got away with it.

My feelings for Scotland, never mind Scottish football, was decimated then. as the parcel o’rogues showed us what the Scottish establishment was…

July 12, 2023 12:36 pm

Cosy Corner Bhoy
A live debate between Auldheid and The Gombeen Man would be a sell-out!😀
Bloody marvellous TVM
=============
It is getting personal because the basis of TGMs case is unfounded and anything that is provided in that context that does not suit his case is ignored.

1. The CF material was not used in public in pursuit of Res12 nor in private. All it did in 2013 was suggest that the UEFA licence should not have been awarded which was why Res12 was adjourned to gather more info. The agreement with Celtic was to confine information approaches to SFA which was done privately. When that raised more questions than answers and Celtic stepped back the decision was taken in 2014 to pursue via a solicitor with no referral to CF material because at that time its provenance was uncertain.

Thus what came out later iro CF’s dealings with DK is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the pursuit of Res12.

So Res12 was pursued with complete probity and that pursuit got answers that showed SFA and RFC had not acted in good faith to fellow members of the SFA.

2. As has been set out at the link the Doncaster e mail was sought precisely on the basis to demonstrate that what shareholders were being told by PL at the AGM iro UEFA’s response on the licence issue , that removed the locus of Res12 i.e no sanction until following season, was an avoidance of the evidence presented to Celtic from 2018, not only as a result of taking a legal approach but, and this is key, using hard evidence NOT from CF but from someone in Ibrox at the time with no question of provenance as it was also in the public domain by then in 2019 nor veracity and obtained not from CF but someone with the right to provide it. Again this renders attempts to use CF’s separate dealing with DK irrelevant.

Why was the Doncaster e mail sought in September 2019 before PL addressed the issue at the later AGM? Again that is provided at the link, in 2018 at a meeting in front of witnesses PL and MN were presented with the hard evidence NOT obtained from CF that Rangers had misrepresented the true status of the tax liability in their submission to UEFA that SFA passed.

That evidence as the chronology at link shows was ignored at the 2018 AGM and avoided at the 2019 AGM.

Thus TGMs idea that it was wrong to use that info as it had nothing to do with the UEFA licence is just wrong. It had everything to do with pursuit of the truth on the UEFA licence the truth that TGM has said he is seeking or should the truth be buried because of the consequences of pursuing it. Have Celtic been harmed by that pursuit? MN who is doing a grand job might disagree, so too might the support at large.

To be frank I’m finding it hard not to take personally especially about my lack of probity based solely on CF’s separate dealings with CW and DK which as has been repeatedly said had nothing to do with pursuit of Res12.

Would you in my shoes?

I do not think it is in the blogs interest to pursue the matter further since TGM’s case has no foundation. .

July 12, 2023 12:38 pm

Sol Kitts
“Interesting game last night at Billericay, where Aveley fielded the 11 Trialist brothers and filled the bench with their cousins. 😂”
————————
Sol, What was the result?

Chairbhoy
July 12, 2023 1:21 pm

Sol Kitts @ 6:16 am

Sol Kitts
July 12, 2023 1:26 pm

Kevin
July 12, 2023 1:33 pm

Good read this morning gents.

KLV

July 12, 2023 1:42 pm

SOL KITTS

“IniquitousIV
Aveley won 3-1, scorers were Trialist (2 goals) and Trialist. Billericay scorer was Stevenson.”
———————————
Hmmmm. That’s odd. I heard from another source that the Aveley scorers were Trialist, Trialist and Trialist.
Something not right.

July 12, 2023 1:44 pm

I think two of the trialists are identical twins. Easy mistake to make.

July 12, 2023 1:45 pm

🤣😅😂😅😂

BelmontBrian63
July 12, 2023 1:46 pm

Afternoon all.

CCB

Last Friday I had the pleasure of going on the Tennant’s brewery tour, I thought it was excellent.
Thoroughly enjoyed the pint of Tank lager at the end.

Brian

July 12, 2023 1:49 pm

CHAIRBHOY
“Sol Kitts @ 6:16 am

Looks like the biggest load of ringers since eleven years ago in Brechin when, the new Rangers started life…”
——————————-
A programme for that game will be worth a small fortune, I bet.

Chairbhoy
July 12, 2023 1:59 pm

IniquitousIV @ 1:49 pm,

Yes, it should be, Sevco Rangers playing under their original membership…

…SPL Statement…

A conditional membership will be issued to Sevco Scotland Ltd today, allowing Sunday’s Ramsdens Cup tie against Brechin City to go ahead.

July 12, 2023 1:59 pm

Chairboy

==================
We were, and all the flaws in The LNS Decision after seeking legal advice were discussed on SFM Monitor and Harper McLeod were written to pointing them out.

They eventually passed the the information to the SFA who ignored it and rejected Celtic’s request to revisit the matter following the Supreme Court ruling in 2017.

Anyone wishing to refresh their memory of the flaws brought to Harper McLeod/SFA attention ( ” No question of dishonesty” -my arse ) but buried by SFA, can read read them at

https://res12.uk/part-5/ and at the foot is this link to an index of the case put to Harper McLeod and SFA cc to Celtic Director Eric Riley as a member of the SPL Board at the time.

If one thing could be done to restore integrity to Scottish football and address the harm that has been done to our game it would be to get the LNS Commission discredited as it played its part in preventing footballing justice being served ( no footballing advantage was gained LNS said ‘because all clubs were free to arrange their tax affairs within the law , which whilst true at the time of the Commission, became untenable once the Supreme Court in 2017 ruled the way Rangers used ebts from 2000 was unlawful ).

That cover up of Rangers failure to act in upmost good faith to fellow clubs must have encouraged Green to buy Rangers, avoid Regan’s Armageddon and helped the 5WA to be reached.

The toxicity of the 5WA poisons Scottish football still.

July 12, 2023 2:00 pm

Just a wee reminder, that a mini hoot takes place at The Blane Valley, Glasgow on Friday 12.00 Noon onwards.

Expect a lot of big names to be there and Belmont Brian also 😂😂

Come along and meet old and new friends 💚💚

HH 🍀🍀

Bigrailroadblues
July 12, 2023 2:04 pm

Who invited you?🤔

Chairbhoy
July 12, 2023 2:10 pm

Auldheid @ 1:59 pm,

Yes, among the plethora – the extra money did not give Rangers a sporting advantage.

Even though Sir David Murray is later on record stating that’s why he did it…

July 12, 2023 2:18 pm

BRRB,

Dunno !!!!!!!!!!

Ps
Bring your wallet this time 😁😁😁

Sol Kitts
July 12, 2023 2:25 pm

IIRC Brechin upset the hordes (aw diddums) in their programme by welcoming Sevco to Glebe Park for the new club’s first ever match.

July 12, 2023 2:29 pm

36C forecast today in Washington DC. The next 2 months are usually hell on earth outdoors. Power and air conditioning restored yesterday evening, but Internet still patchy. Hoping to view the Astana vs Dynamo Tbilisi game from Kazakhstan at 3:00 PM UK time, 10:00 AM here. I visited both Kazakhstan and Georgia in the mid 60’s and found Alma-Ata, as Astana was called then, utterly fascinating.

I was 19, traveling with a German lass, and found the slim, long haired, high cheek boned Kazakh women to be just gorgeous. And then something odd happened. We noticed right away that many of the Kazakh women gave me a second look, and sometimes a big smile, which I can assure you never ever happened anywhere else! Then when we checked into our Intourist Hotel, the waitresses were grinning at me and giving me extra helpings at mealtimes, much to my puzzlement, and to the irritation of my German girlfriend!

I tried to find out what was going on, which was difficult, as no one spoke the languages we shared, English, German, or French. No chance for Gaelic! Eventually, we found a non Kazakh Intourist guide.
When I asked her, she burst out laughing. It turned out that many Kazakh women liked full beards. I had a dark, very dense, closely cropped full beard, and many Kazakh men had difficulty growing more than wispy, straggly versions, so I was considered, for the first and only time in my life, moderately attractive!
Needless to say, I loved it, although my German lass was totally pissed off!

Odd what you remember, nearly 60 years later.😊

July 12, 2023 2:39 pm

Chairbhoy
IniquitousIV @ 1:49 pm,

Yes, it should be, Sevco Rangers playing under their original membership…

…SPL Statement…

============
The late Paul Paul McConville wrote that this invented membership was “ultra vires”

Ultra vires translates to ‘beyond the powers’. It is used to describe an act which requires legal authority or power but is then completed outside of or without the requisite authority – On Line dictionary.

Paul was spot on.

UEFA did not recognise the transfer of SFA membership from Sevco to Rangers at the discretion of SFA Board as valid under Article 12 of UEFA FFP , hence the Traverso reply describing RFC/RIFC as a new club/company after the Celtic Res12 shareholders lawyer wrote to him in 2016 on a perfectly legal basis.

When that reply came back it was so dangerous to release for reasons of personal safety of the 4 requisitioners (a point I forgot to make that the judgements made in pursuit of Res12 were joint and defensible and accountable to the shareholders who supported it, ) had to be done under cover. Not the View got it out on paper writing and bloggers picked it up to bring to attention of the support at large.

There was an argument for stopping Res12 there and then, but other information from CAS Decisions on over due tax re Malaga and Giannina FC got the truth seeking ball in respect of the UEFA Licence 2011 rolling again. That authoritative statement by UEFA upholding Article 12 overrules all subsequent attempts at saying UEFA regard RFC Ltd/RIFC PLC as the same club as Rangers PLC IL.

Phil asked UEFA about that https://philmacgiollabhain.ie/2021/02/15/the-lie-of-55/ and in response UEFA made the distinction between Rangers and Sevco as the current/ new club and the club before (Rangers IL) and used those descriptions 6 more times in their reply to Phils questions about conflict with Article 12.

Tell all that to the same club believers and their heads fall off as they sulk or ignore because Phil was the messenger..

Sol Kitts
July 12, 2023 2:41 pm

I read somewhere that Stirling Albion were the only club in the old SPFL to vote not to admit Sevco into the league set up. If that’s right, they are to be admired for their principled stance for sporting integrity. The other clubs were either bullied by Doncaster or seduced by the blue pound.
Of course, the issuing of the previously non-existent ” conditional membership” by the SFA should have been challenged, but the opportunity was missed, deliberately.

July 12, 2023 2:55 pm

TGM

I just picked this up and it is important.

=================
As I have pointed out previously but will repeat for readers who might have missed it, there was no reliance on CF data apart from it being shown to Celtic before the 2013 AGM as a reason to seek answers. In agreeing to adjourn Res12 Celtic provided authority for the requistioners representing small sharehoder to do that.

Pursuit was done legally and without reference to CF thereafter.

Your underlying premise on reliance on CF is just wrong.

Got that. Wrong.

July 12, 2023 3:00 pm

Tete does sound interesting. 23 year old Brazilian winger for cut price. Hope it happens, he knows Brendan already.

July 12, 2023 3:02 pm

Chairbhoy,

Great response. I am sliding in your direction that it is a waste of time to attempt to challenge the variety of old boys clubs that exist in the game and in the establishment. However, it does not sit comfortably with me. I am retired and, perhaps, I am looking for a challenge.

One aspect that inhibits me from just backing right off is that I feel that currently we are at a possible point of inflection for the game. It could go one way or the other. There could be much needed reform/innovation or the lid could be rammed firmly down on the pot of boiling water. There are a lot of stakeholders who are very good at ramming lids down on turbulent waters. There are also some who have ambitions. You have cited instances of what I am saying, e.g. LNS.

Frankly, I do not think the pot would have been stirred if it was not for the Crouch review. That is a very poor starting point for a review of our game. Whilst there are overlapping issues, the two games are fundamental different. Cash and status of the premier leagues are only two of many differences. Polarization on two clubs is another.

The arrival of Crouch created a vacuum in Scotland. The SFSA occupied that empty space. They did so with considerably less resources than TC but lots of goodwill. This was the beginning of potential problems. Whereas Crouch was run by a sitting member of a governing party, the SFSA is, essentially, a lobby group. Capital P politics became involved later as compared to the Crouch process. This is bound to have consequences.

The SFSA review is it. Which other body is going to run another? The SFA or the SPFL or the SG? Nope the space is occupied, this is it, ladies and gentlemen. It is your one chance of forcing innovation into the game.

The SG is not stupid, or more accurately, it is politically aware. There are votes to be won or lost with this review. If I was advising them I would say either ignore it and let it die out, or take control and stick handle it towards issues that will gain kudos. Frankly, from this side of the Atlantic, they need lots of kudos quickly. Hence we have the CPG with objectives that are murky enough that it can argued that they do not align fully with the main outcomes of the SFSA review. Specifically, I am referring to the appointment of an independent regulator, and the creation of shadow fan led boards. However, terms like community can be equated to small clubs so, I can see that the objectives of the CPG might appeal to the SFSA.

Now, a danger here is who does the SFSA think that it represents? Because there are at least two solitudes in our game. There are the big boys and all the rest. Clubs like Aberdeen, Hearts may dispute that but who has won the league over the last three decades? The needs of these two groups are different but they are interdependent. In short, while each needs to be treated distinctly, their interdependence needs to be acknowledged. The six questions blog did not fill me with confidence that the SFSA understands these points. Reforming the game is a huge task which is why I suggested breaking it down in some way. I suggest that examining relationships is one way of doing this….relationships between fans and clubs, between governing bodies and clubs, between clubs at different levels in the pyramid. I further suggested that working groups be formed for each of these. AH seemed to like all or some of this and indicated that he would pass it onto Andy. Maybe this is the source or hope for working groups coming out of the CPG. Or maybe I am being arrogant for even suggesting that my ever so humble remarks could have that level of impact!

Whatever happens, The extent of the problems in our game really require that any review and action should be part of a continuous process, not a one shot deal.

These are some of my concerns because I sense an impending avalanche, and when one of those starts there is no stopping it. Poor sods like you and I get swept away, trying to hold our season tickets above the surface.

Rebus

July 12, 2023 3:02 pm

Kazakh game up. Both teams observing moment of silence for something.

July 12, 2023 3:09 pm

Sol Kitts

If only our Club had the balls…….

July 12, 2023 3:14 pm

Some ramblings on the Champions League, much of it drawn from Bert Kassie’s superb site.

Astana go 1-0 up in 11 minutes.

To be continued.

Sol Kitts
July 12, 2023 3:21 pm

bada bing1
Sadly, if it hadn’t been for the fans making it clear there would be repercussions, our board would have actively lobbied the Premier league clubs to allow Sevco to start in the top league.

The Real McCoy
July 12, 2023 3:24 pm

IQ1V. 👋🏻
Didn’t expect you ( or I ) to be back so early.

‘Astana pressing the Georgians hard in the early going, playing in the national colours in the national stadium with a retractable roof ( puts Hampden to shame ).’
I don’t think that is a very fair comparison tbh.
For goodness sake. Kazakhstan has vast oil reserves and some gas seemingly. Unfair to compare it to Scotland. Oh wait…….

Keep the soccer updates coming 👍🏻
HH💚🍀

July 12, 2023 3:30 pm

With so many new clubs, I have below listed the champions by their country and seeding, just to be different, for yesterday’s and today’s games. The seeded champion’s respective nations are marked by asterisks.

Yesterday:
Armenia 0 Bosnia 1. ***
Gibraltar 1. Azerbaijan 2. ***
***Lithuania 0. N. Macedonia 0
Malta 0. Israel. 4. ***
***Slovenia. 2. Latvia. 1
Czech Rep. 1. Estonia. 0***
Kosovo. 2. Bulgaria. 0***
Faroes. 0. Hungary. 0***
Albania. 1. Belarus. 1***
***Eire. 0. Iceland. 1

Today
***Kazakhstan. 1. Georgia. 0. ( In progress )
*** Finland. vs. N. Ireland
Sweden. vs. Wales***
Romania. vs. Moldova***
***Slovakia. vs Luxembourg

Some of the seedings seem curious. For example, Swedish football is a lot stronger than Welsh, but the seedings are based on individual team co-efficients, so do throw up some anomalies.

Harlem Celts
July 12, 2023 3:31 pm

False beard bought now just have to check if Ryanair do cheap flights to Kazakhstan

July 12, 2023 3:39 pm

Very open entertaining game in Kazakhstan on the astroturf carpet. Both teams going for it. I remember Scotland and even big Virgil struggling here.

July 12, 2023 3:49 pm

Georgians playing it out from the back, and facing high press. If they get through it, all the Kazakhs retreat to their own half. On change of possession, they break at lightning speed. They just skelped the post and then scored a goal, judged marginally offside.

This is something we are not good at, in Europe, both dealing with fast breaks on transition, and doing it ourselves. I remember reading some time ago that when Mourinho was at Chelski, and they had Drogba, some 60-70% of their goals were scored within 10 seconds of the opposition losing possession.

If we had a midfield that could find Kyogo in space more often, we would do a lot better at one end of the pitch ( remember Jota pass vs Ferencvaros? )

Tbilisi skelp post with long range shot.

July 12, 2023 3:54 pm

30 yard Georgian howitzer tipped over bar. Half time. Very sporting game. Not one single foul, I think because players mostly passed the ball before opponent could reach them.

July 12, 2023 3:59 pm

The only other televised games I can get today are from Romania at 6:30 and Slovakia at 7:30, so they overlap. The first game appears more competitive, so I will probably stick with that one.

July 12, 2023 4:11 pm

Some football news today

Barcelona sign Brazilian wonderkid, Victor Roque to a 7 year contrac , with a $500 million release clause!

Sevco starlet, leon king, suffers a significant injury, so Sevco re-sign 35 year old centre back Leon Balogun, after previously letting him leave. Another one who is not small …6’3″ … so, the Sevco plan is not hard to discern…

July 12, 2023 4:14 pm

So Der Hun resign Balogun, their 7th six footer this close season, and seem to be persistent in pursuing Danilo from Feyenoord.
Meanwhile, back in Sleepy Hollow……?????

July 12, 2023 4:16 pm

First yellow card to Tbilisi. Free kick over bar by Kazakhs. I think they expected better.

July 12, 2023 4:20 pm