I tip my hat

Testimonials are almost a relic of a bygone era at this stage. I recall there used to be a couple of big ones every summer, now you’re lucky if there’s a big one every couple of summers.

Marc Bosman and agents were the primary driving force I reckon.

James is,,,,there’s the first problem, there’s been a few different James Forrest’s, and I’m not talking about my fellow blogger, but stages of his career.

They called Solskjaer ‘the baby faced assassin’ but when he first burst upon the scene, he was so youthful I almost thought he had asked his mum and dad permission to be out late that night.

This mere boy would get the ball played ahead of him or knock it forward and boom, away he went with a opening burst of pace that was his own personal gift from God.

And as every pacey player finds out, you cannot rely on that alone for when that goes you are done.

I suppose his next phase was his maturing into a team player rather than a ‘skin em’ merchant.

I suppose this transformations finest moment (and my own regarding James) was the Karagandy goal, when good interlinking play and an instinctive finish reaped the big rewards rather than sheer pace.

And then the inevitable injuries kicked in, meaning he absolutely cannot be relied upon for a full season, and as such isn’t a transfer target of bigger clubs, but is a useful player and tool to have in the locker when he is fit.

Useful but not essential.

It strikes me that football today is a young man’s sport, given the workrate involved. Press, press, lead the hunt and fallback if needed,,,,go, go, offer an outball,,,run, run, back up the attack at pace!

Throw in Scottish refs and some players, the winter potato patches, teams sitting deep, and the injuries,,,his future isn’t that bright if truth be told.

But it could be.

The next chapter of his career must be written, I can’t see him getting a new contract or getting sold, so bit part player it is. Same as it ever was.

I suppose the late sub running at tired legs makes sense, but then we’ve a million wingers, if we must turn to James then they’ve all failed.

Brendan’s good but teaching that old dog a new trick when he is available, now even that’s beyond most.

Thus his contract extension raises eyebrows, doesn’t look so smart now, the wrong star to have tied down long-term when the teams level is supposedly moving on and Europe is being targeted.

His future is cloudy, but his past is an open book, and we could be looking at another one club man, never mind a 10 year veteran, and as such his loyalty at a bare minimum deserves respect. I’m delighted he’s getting his own night in the sun so to speak, he shows he’s a true Tim by donating the proceeds to charity, just a pity it wasn’t on a weekend but apparently tickets have sold well so that’s fine.

I thank you sincerely James for the memories and the service, on all our behalf. Whatever happens from here on just know that You’ll Never Walk Alone.

What does happen from here on is anyone’s guess,,,nothing would surprise me.

I’ve read ATOB say he’s never had a good game at Ibrox, could that be on his bucket list?

Coaching,,,he seems a bit introverted so maybe personal coaching under the main main?

Management? Nah.

Pundit, perhaps, he’s presentable I’ll give him that, the kind of chap a daughter would be happy to bring over for lunch. And dad would be happy too most importantly. He’s not a party boy, big mouth, celebrity status chaser,,,I’ll give him that.

Not even sure he’d make a good after dinner speaker to be honest.

It’s easy for me to say, but this year is probably his decision year.

Don’t play much, and maybe go join Broony or somewhere elsewhere.

Play little but contribute then maybe stick around to repeat the trick and go out on a total high.

Play little and contribute little getting pushed down the pecking order?

Having made the money, got the Tshirt, testimonial bagged,,why not try something else for an interesting finale and maybe open new doors.

And of course he could just stick around seeing out the contract quite happily at home in the nation’s biggest club.

Nothing would surprise me regarding James and his final two years under contract.

The beauty of football eh?

Enjoy your day,

From the SentinelCelts.

Margaret McGill
August 1, 2023 12:06 am

I wish Jamesy the very best for his future endeavours . He has been a historic servant to Celtic.

August 1, 2023 12:32 am

Best wishes to Jim the Tim53, Chalmersbhoys beloved, JNP, and Twists with their health and family problems.

Twists,
I’ll give you my version of Saturday nights big fight. Hindsights a wonderful thing but it’s poetic that the one who was being louder and held the most belts lost.
And lose he did. The boy thought I’ll bully him as it has worked with everyone so far, but then he met he met a real bully.
‘You come at me and here’s what you get,’
Crawford made him look ordinary, that’s how good he was.

Spence wants the rematch at 154, fair enough but TC will again whoop him, but then for his big finale cash out fight I want him to take on Canelo at 165 or so.
He’s very very good, has that mean streak, and once he hurts you he’s a killer. I actually think he might have dragged the fight on just for the PPV and attendees. He coulda took him out in 3, brought it to 9, for the viewers and to kinda look great.
Take it easy.

Charlinick
August 1, 2023 1:50 am

He signed a new four year contract so don’t get your mention of it,the fact is under Lennon first time and delia he was one of our few actual skilful players and as such had to play, if not injured definitely not 100%, we’ve been lucky to have him as he could have left for better money down south if that was his aim

Twisty
August 1, 2023 3:42 am

Morning all ( can’t sleep)

Mahe, that performance from Crawford was absolutely awesome. One of the all time master classes. Arguably better than anything Mayweather ever produced. Incredible exhibition of boxing.
I don’t know if you looked at the punch stats post fight, they certainly back up your thoughts that he dragged it out and could have finished Spence off more quickly if he’d wanted to. He ( Crawford) nullified the Spence jab very early in the fight. Once he’d done that he was toying with his opponent for the remainder of the bout.
By the end of the fight Spence had landed just 20% of the total punches he threw – 96 from 480 thrown, and only 11% of the jabs he threw – 33 from 296.
I’m contrast , Crawford had scored 50% of his total punches and 42% of his jabs.

The ref could have stopped it in the 7th tbh, but probably did the right thing to allow Spence a little more time to see if he had anything left. His punch stats in round 8 however , landing only 5 from 42 thrown, tells its own story. He was gone.

No doubt the rematch will be made , but even at 154lbs, it’s difficult to see where Spence can find enough to turn around the domination that Crawford showed. Anyhow Crawford gets to determine the weight for any rematch. He could opt for 147 again, though I suspect he’d be a comfortable winner at either.

August 1, 2023 8:14 am

Good morning, friends and Happy Matchday. My first game viewing from my new relocated spot in the Main Stand and fingers crossed that my new neighbours are all pretty decent folk – always a risk when deciding to move!
Tonight’s game is not part of the POTY thing (just 4 more sleeps for that) so enjoy the match without having to concentrate too much!

Auldbhoy67
August 1, 2023 10:30 am

Aye I can remember Jamesy as a snottery nosed wee bhoy up at his grannie’s house in Ayr. How time passes and great to see him getting this testimonial. Long overdue . Also huge credit to him in sharing the gate money with a couple of charities.
I wonder if greegsy did that last week. Aye right.

A thing of beauty
August 1, 2023 10:37 am

First up thanks for the tips on travelling around Ireland. My itinerary seems to be driven by others so not much chance of getting to many of the places mentioned. I should have asked sooner!!
As regards James Forrest. He is worthy of a testimonial and fair play for giving part of the proceeds to charity. As a player I have my frustrations with him and have been known to mutter often about his failings, especially at ibrox. Nevertheless he has stayed at our club when he had offers elsewhere and that is rare in the modern game. I think we may see him move on to pastures new before the window closes and he goes with my best wishes. For those who are going tonight I hope you sing loud and proud. Not just for James but for the wee girl and her uncle who will attend in my place tonight. It’s important we sell the club to the next generation. She was at ibrox last week and left early so I’m hopeful we’ll add another to our ranks tonight.

The Real McCoy
August 1, 2023 12:17 pm

Good Afternoon Sentinel Celts 👋🏻
Very quiet blog today.
Anyway, I’ve uncovered the identity of our esteemed west coast Canuck- Puff Puff 🔥.
I believe Puff Puff is John Anderson and has funnelled McCaff’s Welly Boot Fortune into racehorse ownership 🐎

‘ Fans have been left scratching their heads after a horse called ‘Penalty To Rangers’ finished second in a race…in CANADA.

The three-year-old bay filly ran at Hastings Racecourse, a facility at Hastings Park, four miles from downtown Vancouver. Originally called East Park, it opened for business in 1889, making it Vancouver’s longest continuously used professional sports facility. But owners John and Katherine Anderson caught Scottish football fans off-guard by monikering their horse with the phrase that rivals of Rangers often cheekily throw at the Light Blues…naming one horse ‘Penalty to Rangers.’
It is believed the stewards referred to VAR to try and have the winning horse disqualified and Penalty To Rangers declared victorious but to no avail 🤷🏻‍♂️

#PuffPuffPulledBlondieInGlesga

HH💚🍀

The Real McCoy
August 1, 2023 12:30 pm

Welcome To Glasgow- Athletic Club de Bilbao .

Play Nice CSC 🇳🇬
HH💚🍀

August 1, 2023 12:45 pm

The way football is, this will probably be our 2nd last Testimonial, Callum next,and can’t see it happening again……

August 1, 2023 2:37 pm

There’s a fair few AB fans in the City. Hope it’s a great night for the wee man, he deserves it.

Mon the Hoops! 💚

August 1, 2023 3:13 pm

Oh come all ye faithful!

August 1, 2023 4:19 pm

Latvians 4-0 up in 12 minutes on San Marino minnows for a 7-0 aggregate in the Euro Conference. Could end up a cricket score.

The Real McCoy
August 1, 2023 4:31 pm

Good to see you on IQ1V 👋🏻
Just had a very pleasant last half hour.
Well Done James Forrest 👏👏👏

100 GOALS ⚽️ 🥅

Plenty memories.
PC 👮🏻‍♂️ Lustig ⚽️😂
A 4X ⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️ 😎
Magic . 🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬
HH💚🍀

August 1, 2023 5:04 pm
maccargo
August 1, 2023 6:16 pm

Starting eleven confirmed as…

Siegrist, Tomoki, Carter-Vickers, Nawrocki, Taylor, Kwon, McGregor, Hatate, Forrest, Maeda, Kyogo.

A thing of beauty
August 1, 2023 6:22 pm

Auldheid,
Absolutely astonishing stats there from CBN. We know that there is bias, conscious or unconscious in the SPFL to favour the Huns but last season was off the scale nonsense. Hence the T shirt “checking possible fenian.” I felt at times, especially early on, every goal we scored was being scrutinised to go as far back as possible to see what they could see to chalk it off. As the season wore in it was still the same and decision were going in favour of the Huns when it was unnecessary. Take the offside referred to, against
Motherwell. If I recall correctly we were miles in front in the league by then. Why do it? When Son of Dallas gave the four penalties in one game he finished his own future as a referee because of the ridicule. Are they really that thick they will do themselves out of a nice earner to curry favour with their masters. Hmm subservient pricks. Anyway I’ve said it before, if we are going to continue to say nothing then they will continue to cheat.

Corkcelt
August 1, 2023 6:36 pm

Something wrong, was assured CCV wouldn’t be back till October if even that.
Had a text a week or two ago from a Celt , telling me Kyogo was out for 4 months, less than a week later he was banging one in against Wolves.
Why on earth do people start these rumours.

August 1, 2023 6:51 pm

CorkCelt, probably started by PEOPLE trying to cause some mild panic. 😉

Cosy Corner Bhoy
August 1, 2023 6:59 pm

In Club Celtic Reasonably busy
Sent back two pints of Guinness -sour taste!
On to Tennents … sorry Doc😀

August 1, 2023 7:12 pm

August 1, 2023 7:35 pm

Have the Green Brigade boycotted the game ?

August 1, 2023 7:38 pm

Defense like a sieve.

August 1, 2023 7:40 pm

The sooner we get a goalie the better.

August 1, 2023 7:45 pm

Kwon being easily dispossessed.

August 1, 2023 7:46 pm

Kyogo misses a good opportunity after a nice move.

August 1, 2023 7:48 pm

Siegrist distribution poor.

August 1, 2023 7:50 pm

Kwon’s first touch badly lacking so far.

August 1, 2023 7:50 pm

Jamesie crowded out.

August 1, 2023 7:52 pm

Celtic, after an early shock, having more of the game now.

August 1, 2023 7:53 pm

Good interception by Nawrocki.

August 1, 2023 7:55 pm

Kwon having a mare. Nearly sold the jerseys there.

August 1, 2023 7:56 pm

Hatate loses it in a dangerous area. Has a habit of doing this.

August 1, 2023 7:58 pm

Siegrist hasn’t found a Celtic player once.

August 1, 2023 7:59 pm

Good save from Siegrist after Hatate again gets us in trouble.

CaltonTongues
August 1, 2023 8:00 pm

Could have been 5 or 6 at least for Bilbao.

Worrying ATM 🤬

August 1, 2023 8:03 pm

Long high ball eludes Taylor.
Corner to Bilbao.
Shooting practice for them when they move up a gear.

August 1, 2023 8:05 pm

They look like a team with purpose.
We look like 11 disparate units.
Siegrist finally finds a Celtic player.

August 1, 2023 8:06 pm

We just keep giving the ball away.
This does not bode well for the CL.

August 1, 2023 8:08 pm

Good move by Maeda.

16 roads
August 1, 2023 8:11 pm

Back in the game. 👊😎

August 1, 2023 8:12 pm

GOAL,!
Hatate

16 roads
August 1, 2023 8:12 pm

But not for long. 😭

August 1, 2023 8:13 pm

Great goal, but defensive sieve strikes again.
1-2

August 1, 2023 8:13 pm

Iwata completely skinned.

August 1, 2023 8:14 pm

Williams outjumping Nawricki.

August 1, 2023 8:15 pm

Jamesie looks completely lost.

August 1, 2023 8:16 pm

Kwon dispossessed again.

August 1, 2023 8:17 pm

Our first touch lets us down so often,

August 1, 2023 8:18 pm

We waste a free kick. Still don’t have anybody who can do anything with them.
Jota and Jura were not bad, but Taylor is hopeless.