Our Best Ever-Goalkeeper

International fortnight,which as you will know by now usually leaves me neither shaken nor stirred. Antipathy is about as much as I can do,to be honest! This one might be just a little different,as Scotland can qualify during it. In fact,I think there are two ways it can be done-the first is not to lose in Spain,and the second is if Spain beat Norway.

I’m happy to be corrected on this,by the way,but I have to say that Stevie Clarke has done a grand job since taking over. And I certainly wish him and his players every success.

Anyway,I have six articles to write during this break,and I’m going to use it to act on a suggestion from a number of our posters to try and compile a Best Ever Celtic Team. We did a similar exercise last month,listing our favourite players as seen in the flesh. And widened it to include those seen in live TV transmission due to the advent of season tickets.

This time round,it will be done by position. Every contributor can choose their own formation to suit their personal preferences-but I’m only allowing eleven selections regardless of how many worthy candidates there are!

By all means,please include honourable mentions for those not fortunate enough to make the cut. You can include as many of them as you like!

The six articles will give you the following choices.

A goalkeeper. Full backs. Central defenders. (For those wishing to play with three,four or five at the back,please choose accordingly)

Midfielders-A and B. i.e.-for those wanting four in midfield,choose two each day. For those wanting three or five,choose accordingly.

Forwards-Again it is your call how many forwards you have left for the final day.

In my own case,it will be very straightforward. Day One-a goalkeeper. Day Two-two full backs. Day Three-two centre backs. Day Four-two midfielders. Day Five-another midfielder. Day Six-my three forwards.

I’ve made it look more complicated than it is. It’s really just a simple case of choosing your formation,then the players on the correct day.

Have fun!

Hoop hoop hooray
October 10, 2023 8:16 am

Forster

October 10, 2023 8:21 am

In my lifetime watching Celtic,I’ve been lucky enough to see some terrific keepers,and some not so much. The earliest I can remember were Ronnie Simpson and John Fallon,which is a good starting point. But there’s an argument that we didn’t see a decent keeper after them until Artur Boruc arrived on the scene.

Sure,a case could be made for David Marshall,whom I thought we let go too early,or Ally Hunter,who excelled until he lost his confidence while on Scotland duty. But generally the custodians from about 1970 till 2005 just didn’t inspire much confidence.

From Artur onwards,we were spoiled. Next up was Fraser Forster. He was followed by Craig Gordon,and after a gap,by Joe Hart. Of those four,I’m going to pick Fraser Forster. Not just for his consistency but also for some of his memorable match-winning performances against the likes of Barcelona and the stickies.

That might be harsh on the others,but I’m sure that they’ll get a few votes elsewhere!

October 10, 2023 8:21 am

Reading on the other site that the GB have possibly alienated one of our best players (Abada).

Fan
October 10, 2023 8:25 am

Iniquitous IV
First an anti Green Brigade statement by our board. Then an accusation by a site that is widely recognised as a board mouthpiece.
Whatever next?

October 10, 2023 8:25 am

Bobby, another memorable Forster game was the home game vs Lazio, when he retained our 2-1 lead with one of the most magnificent saves I have ever seen in my life – a full length leap to paw away an absolute rocket of a shot heading for the postage stamp. The Lazio players could hardly believe it.

October 10, 2023 8:29 am

Fan
That’s why I said ‘possibly’.
I am unfortunately well aware of our Chairman’s link to that site, but thinking solely about Abada’s viewpoint, it might have some credibility.

October 10, 2023 8:59 am

IniquitousIV
I’ve seen no hate towards Abada on social media,also if you are an Israeli national and sign for Celtic you must surely be aware of the support for Palestine amongst the supporters, if not I’d suggest they get new agents or advisors if it’s going to be an issue for them

October 10, 2023 9:04 am

Great idea M

October 10, 2023 9:06 am

Forster…..just ahead of Boruc

Just Sayin’
October 10, 2023 9:06 am

I imagine assumptions regarding Liel Abada’s situation with sections of the support may be exacerbated by his close relationship with Nir Bitton.

GER57
October 10, 2023 9:31 am

International breaks are not normally kind to Celtic. We tend to lose important players to injury. Last season we lost Abada, Starfelt and O’Riley for several weeks. I’m rooting for Scotland obviously but my main concern is that all those called upon to play return safe and well.
Politics and sport eh? Our rulers use sport at every turn to try to make themselves look good. Nobody looks good when innocent civilians are being slaughtered in cold blood. It makes no difference to the victims whether they are killed by rifle fire or artillery shells. The rush to condemn Palestinian resistance whilst tolerating the barbarism of the Israeli state for decades is rank hypocracy.
I was fully aware of Nir Bitton’s pro Israel views when he signed for us. When asked, he was forthright in his replies. I’m not aware of Abada having aired his opinions. Given their backgrounds and upbringing, it’s no surprise if they are quick to condemn Hamas. The Green Brigade are right to show support for Palestine, as they always have done, but attacking Celtic players who have different views to themselves is not on. We are open to all. Personalising the issue doesn’t help anyone. Nir himself should know better than to get into a public spat with the GB over this issue. He’s a right wing Israeli nationalist. Accepting him into the Celtic family doesn’t imply that we in any way support his views. Thanks for your service. It’s quite ironic that Willie Manley was an active recruiting sergeant for the British Army, even in the aftermath of Easter 1916. The GB sing his praises.
As Bobby said, we didn’t really have a top goalie until Artur arrived, since when, we’ve been well served. It’s hard to choose because they all pulled off match winning saves in massive games. Artur gets my vote. A pure nutter, just what most goalies are. I cite our own TOHG, John Fallon, as evidence that this is a cross generational phenomenon.

October 10, 2023 9:34 am

Morning all,

Boruc for me 👍

October 10, 2023 9:36 am

Well remembered. He made some incredible saves in his time with us. So did Boruc and Gordon,but Forster just shades my vote.

October 10, 2023 9:49 am

“(I say simple,but I haven’t figured out my own formation yet,or the players to suit…)”

Still swithering over 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. And who to leave out. Gonna be a bit of a guilt trip during this fortnight,I reckon.

Ernie Lynch
October 10, 2023 10:04 am

Of the post Lions generation Boruc for excitement and entertainment but Forster for reliability.

October 10, 2023 10:38 am

Good morning, friends.
In goals I’m plumping for David Marshall. Only a short spell for us but those one and a half games against Barcelona as a very young keeper still remain fresh in my mind. As does John Kennedy’s display in front of him.
Though this is usually where someone explains that my memory doesn’t serve me well…
Bobby – great idea. But if you’re hoping by the end of the week to announce the most popular team then I think we would gave to agree now on which formation we are basing it on? To accommodate my own personal favourites I might have to go 4-2-4 or maybe 3-3-4 🤔

October 10, 2023 10:53 am

JOBO

It will run on Tuesday,Thursday and Friday for both weeks. I’ll do the running totals in the next article. Should be interesting to see the selections as well as the various formations.

October 10, 2023 11:10 am

I have a managers dilemma – do I pick the formating then select the most suitable players? Or do I pick 10 fantastic outfield players and shoehorn them all into any old formation? Hmmmmm

October 10, 2023 11:11 am

Kidding of course. A likely 4 3 3 for me.

October 10, 2023 11:14 am

Jobo, David also had a game at Ibrox where he made a few jaw-dropping saves.

October 10, 2023 11:20 am

Big Packy doesn’t even make the conversation?
I know his judgement could be questionable, but near 20 years service in a successful team.
Like most I love Artur and Frazer.
If lenght of service isn’t an issue, I would also go with Marshall.

JimDom
October 10, 2023 11:34 am

As Bobby very pertinently says, the goalkeeper position, between 1970 & 2005, was a bit of an achilles heel for Celtic.

When I first started attending on a regular basis, the slot was shared between Bonner and Latchford. Both had their moments, but neither likely to make anyone’s top 5.

Even when MON put together our strongest team since Stein, he could never quite get the right man between the sticks. Big Rab, Hedman, Gould, Marshall, and blink-and-you-missed-him Sanchez Broto, all had a shot but never completely convinced. MON missed out on 5IAR and winning in Seville, mainly due to the number 1 position, IMO anyway.

The arrival of Boruc, at the start of the WGS period, was a significant upgrade. The madcap Pole brought personality and character to the position, and the team in general. The penalty shootout vs Spartak Moscow, and his save vs ManU’s Saha, will live long in the memory.

Forster, Gordon, and Hart, have all been first class custodians of the nets, but, Artur Boruc gets my vote, as much for personality and character, as his goalkeeping ability.

Óglach
October 10, 2023 11:38 am

Best keeper, Artur B.

interesting take on the boards statement in regards to the pro Palestinian banners at Celtic park, i agree with the article. Also i see the SMSM is now running with the Abada upset story😒

October 10, 2023 11:40 am

Boruc , best keeper for me

Auldbhoy67
October 10, 2023 11:56 am

BMCWP
Well this will be an interesting break with this wee challenge. Goalies

Although I never seen him in person only old snippets Haffey for sheer eccentricity deserves a mention imo. Saves a pen against England in one intl then loses 9 in his 2nd to them never to be capped again.
For sheer hatred of the Huns and some excellent displays in his time with us the Holy goalie also ranks for me.
But there can only be one winner :- to be the clubs most capped player have around 250 shutouts in a 650 game career equating to around 40% over a 20yr span ( even although his name has an e and not an a) I give you Packie BonnEr .

HH.

October 10, 2023 12:14 pm

While we are talking current events.

How long would it have taken Hamas to emerge and set up hundreds of rockets?
How long would they need to stay in the open to prepare them for firing?
Once they began firing, how long till it was completed?
Then add the time it would take to go back into hiding.
I’m imagining this took a good deal of time.
All under the noses of the most security conscious nation on earth.

Like a smarter man than me once said …

HMMMM!

October 10, 2023 12:20 pm

AULDBHOY67

I must admit,I didn’t realise that Packy had such a high shutout percentage. It is the unfortunate nature of the beast that being a goalkeeper means you can be chiefly remembered by your mistakes. With Packy in particular,he suffered by comparison to Goram. Most keepers would.

The Star Above The Crest
October 10, 2023 12:32 pm

Fraser Forster just shades it ahead of Boruc (for me). Some of his displays got us through the CL qualifiers, not to mention how he performed once we were there.

October 10, 2023 12:50 pm

Afternoon all,

I see nobody has mentioned Ian Andrews ????

Hmmmmmmm, I wonder why ?????

ErasedfrommemoryCSC 🍀🍀

Leftclicktic
October 10, 2023 12:50 pm

Forster 1st followed by Boruc and Craig Gordòn

October 10, 2023 1:24 pm

I see Eden Hazrd has retired.

Seems odd to say that someone who won titles in England and Spain, and a CL medal, and was named runner up for best palyer at the World Cup never realized his potential … but that is the sense I have.

October 10, 2023 1:26 pm

Loved the attitude that Boruc brought … but if I was building a team, it would be Forster, Boruc and Gordon.

October 10, 2023 1:29 pm

BAD

Very puzzling indeed. Almost as if someone decided to turn a blind eye to it,for some reason.

CaltonTongues
October 10, 2023 1:31 pm

Goalkeeper?

Forster 1st, without doubt, Barca, Napoli & Huns.

Boruc 2nd, Manu & sticking it to the Huns big time!

Craig Gordon 3rd, just reliable.

As for David Marshall, think Artmedia away – 4 shots straight thru him then Motherwell. Boruc had played in a friendly against Leicester and saved a penalty and looked as though he owned the penalty box. If only WGS had played him at Artmedia & Motherwell. Marshall was soon dropped.

October 10, 2023 1:31 pm

MIKEINTORONTO

He just didn’t kick on at Real,for some reason. Though he was competing for a place with some top quality players.

D R M
October 10, 2023 1:52 pm

For me it’s just Boruc over Forster.

Liked Latchford and its funny how things stay in your mind and that’s his reaction at the final whistle of the 1980 Cup final.

October 10, 2023 2:00 pm

At times at Chelsea, I thought he was the best player in the world. Tremendous talent, But apparently he didnt really enjoy being a professional footballer.

even going back to his early days, for example with Belgium, he was dropped for not trying during training and not covering back during games. Even after he got his ‘dream move ‘ to Real, after being courted by his idol, Zidane, he apparently showed up at training camp 25lbs overweight! You could maybe have gotten away with that 50 years ago, but not now, and particularly not when you are supposed to be the replacement for CR& whi was the most professional footballer I have ever seen

SFTB
October 10, 2023 2:15 pm

The 3 best keepers of my lifetime in watching were:-

Boruc- reached a level above Forster in the 5 years he was with us
Forster- magnificent in a few Euro games and steadier as a character in his 4 years with us
Gordon- Great reflexes & a heroic injury recovery in 6 years with us. Never went up for a corner though

Keeper is a strange position. John Fallon was a much more athletic keeper than Ronnie Simpson but our young team responded better to Simpson’s calmness. Ally Hunter burned bright for a short period then totally lost it. Packie Bonner was a ROI legend but a repeat offender with us in sailing out like Superman to the edge of his box and failing to punch a ball away, leaving his goal empty.

In the 60’s neither Rangers or us had the best keepers in Scotland. Both Bobby Clark and Jim Cruikshank were better than what we had.

We have also had our fair share of terrible keepers (Andrews, Latchford, Barkas, Haffey) and time wasters (Hedman, Kharine, Siegrist).

We got Joe Hart, passed his best, but he is a decent fit , for one more year only, for our young-ish team. I’d probably put him in 5th place behind Ronnie Simpson.

October 10, 2023 2:17 pm

MIKEINTORONTO

5’9” and nearly 2 stone overweight? Bloody hell. That’s some amount to shift.

October 10, 2023 2:25 pm

Ahhhh Peter Latchford.

Whilst he played for Celtic in late 70’s he stayed in East Kilbride.

Many a time, after a few libations, we decided to give him a visit with the old ….

‘ Peter Peter give us a wave ”

Never came out once, but we still chanted till we were all hoarse !!!!!

His neighbours must have loved us 🤔🤔

Good times 👍👍👍👍👍🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

JimDom
October 10, 2023 2:36 pm

To be fair to Patrick Bonner, he faced some seriously talented Scottish players when he minded our nets.

Archibald, McDougall, McGhee, WGS, Sturrock, McClair, and, er ………………..Gordon Dalziel.

Nothing like the inept journeymen who currently populate the playing fields of the SPFL.

October 10, 2023 2:39 pm

Forster for me. Won a LC final for us and not called the Grand Muralla for nothing.

Boruc next then Gordon.

Óglach
October 10, 2023 2:49 pm

Euro 2028: Uefa confirms UK and Republic of Ireland as tournament hosts.

No guaranteed automatic entry for all of the 5 teams, Eire, England, Scotland, Wales & N.Ireland

Uefa says: “In case of more than two joint-host associations, the automatic qualification of all the host teams cannot be guaranteed and shall be subject to a decision to be made in conjunction with decisions concerning the qualifying competition.”

Fairly sure it will be Eire and England auto spots irrespective of how badly Eire do in qualifiers. Controversy bound to follow.

Should only be one international team from the UK anyway😘 CSC

October 10, 2023 2:52 pm

No matter what keeper you decide is your no1, the next person along could point to their gaffs, as there isn’t one who is fault free. They have all given us moments we’d rather forget, but there was only one I genuinely didn’t like, Rab Douglas! I simmered for days after Seville. I don’t remember another Tic player who roused those feelings in me. If only we had a great keeper in the early 2000’s, our trophy room would be a lot more sparkly!

October 10, 2023 2:53 pm
Billy Bhoy
October 10, 2023 3:01 pm

Bobby

Surely we have to go with the Lisbon Lions formation – 2-3-5 ?? 😂
Or else, MONs 3-5-2. I doubt we could find FOUR decent defenders!

For goalkeeper I’d go with big FF over Boruc. Mainly as I recall several games where he single-handedly won games for us. In particular, the matches against Barca and the Hun. I never felt more confident of us getting a result in big games than when the big man was between the sticks.

In voting for him I’m drawing a veil over the fact that his broken promise to stay after verbally agreeing – at a time when Craig Gordon had decided to move on – sadly was instrumental in us failing to win 10 in a row.

October 10, 2023 3:03 pm

We’ve had several okay to good keepers but never a great one I reckon. Last time we had a great team, Seville, we had a poor keeper.

There’s no much between them, but I reckon Craig and Frazers height helped them whereas Artur haf longer to jump and fought piling on weight.
Each could have a worldy display, but I feel Artur did that more often and on the biggest stages usually. He was worth 9-12 points a season.
He gets my nod.

October 10, 2023 3:11 pm

Bobby, We have become so used to accepting the world we are presented with. If the magic box in the corner tells us something is true – real, we just accept it without much question. Got rid of mine over 20 years ago …Best thing I ever done.

October 10, 2023 3:16 pm

BAD, there’s no TV in my living room.
I’ve joined that club.

timhorton
October 10, 2023 3:18 pm

Boruc
Gordon
Forster
My opinion is TV watched.