Spin On It

I’ll say it again till I’m sick of having to say it. I hate international breaks. Ah for the good old days when international matches were held in midweek,with no interruption to the club football the weekends either side. Apart from anything else,Scotland were a decent side back then!

Anyway,as I said on Tuesday,this has actually been a quite eventful international break. And yesterday continued that trend. It started off with an unsurprising update on the UEFA disciplinary front. Yep. Another fine. Well,three of them in fact. For a total of £25k,the largest of which by far was for the flag day at the match at home to Atletico.

Surprisingly,it wasn’t handed out for the mass display of Palestine flags. Not even UEFA could be that crass or stupid. Nope,they got us on a technicality here-somebody had taken along a flag for the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine,the PFLP which was a major part of the PLO back in the day.

It is still a proscribed terrorist organisation in many countries including Canada,the US,UK and EU. Bang to rights here,I’m afraid. That one I didn’t see coming as I wouldn’t recognise a PFLP flag if I fell over it,but somebody obviously knew what they were doing. And unfortunately for us,UEFA recognised it for what it was. Heyho…

So onto the main business of the day,the annual whitewash of the AGM. Quite an interesting one,this. The directors got a kicking for their salary increases-I can’t wait to see the size of Lawwell’s salary in next year’s accounts,somebody wasted time by demanding that the board denounce Israel as a fascist state,while another topped that with a question about a bus strike in a faraway universe.

Michael Nicholson and Lawwell let it be known that the club are aware of the obvious,the major problems with VAR and its rather selective at times implementation. Lawwell suggested that the last time Rangers conceded a penalty,John Greig handled in the box. While Nicholson suggested that the block on Kyogo against St Mirren should have been given as-Penalty,Rangers. So yes,they clearly know what is afoot. But we are none the wiser as to what steps they are taking to sort it.

I’ll say it again. While VAR is controlled by the same refereeing gene pool as the MIBs on the pitch,nothing will change. Outsource it to Stockley Park or preferably a centralised UEFA-authorised organisation.

The big question from the floor came from long-time Celtic blogger Joe McHugh. It was addressed to Lawwell. And it was a belter,well done that man. Did he stand by his answer to the question about the 5WA that he gave to the AGM in 2019. Now,this site posted a copy of the 5WA e-mail almost four years ago. And from that it can only be deduced that Lawwell was either being economical with the truth or he was admitting to incompetence and a dereliction of his duties as CEO. Not really the kind of things that a CEO likes to be caught for as they tend to be firing offences.

Joe actually cut Lawwell some ill-deserved slack on this one. He didn’t repeat the question from 2019. He merely asked if he stood by that response. Make of that what you will. For me,a leopard doesn’t change its spots even when we think we have it safely locked away where it can do no damage. His role as chairman might prevent him from interfering as much as before-on paper. But I’ll feel a lot happier when he is no longer stinking the place out.

The last point of any importance referred to our bank balance,the fabled £72m. Now,here I think the board do deserve some kudos,though I’d prefer that they invested it in the football operation rather than effectively stuff it under the mattress. But they pointed out that since the year-end accounts,they have paid the £11.5m tax on the profits,and that there is considerable investment pencilled in for Barrowfield and for the main stand. So,we can whistle for our upgrade on our current player trading policy.

Oh yeah. And also that the cash in hand would be needed for those years when we didn’t qualify for the Champions League group stages. Which is a self-fulfilling prophesy when you think about it. Everyone else is doing their best to improve while we are happy to stand still or go backwards. You couldn’t make it up.

So,yes. It might have been a somewhat more interesting AGM than most,but really it was just more of the same. Maybe next year,they can get the Spitting Image guys in to do their bit,save them coming down from their ivory tower. Or maybe Madame Tussaud’s. Knowing this lot,they’d just buy some old mannequins from the derelict Debenham’s on Argyle St. Might as well,for all the difference it would make.

November 23, 2023 12:20 am

I think that the Transfer Window in summer, a lot of the deals were already done, I will reserve judgement on BR signings until next summer, bearing in mind January isn’t usually particularly good.

November 23, 2023 2:01 am

BWCUWP
It’s a wee while since I coached kids, but I very much appreciate your post to McCaff and I yesterday.
One wee story – I coached an under-17 team back in 1986 in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It was hugely enjoyable traveling to away games in the summer in a huge 1960’s Chevy Nova convertible that was the longest car I had ever seen. It had bench seats, and I often had 6 kids accompanying me.

Our home games and twice a week training sessions were on beautiful grass fields right next to the Huron River. We had to win our last game to win the league, which we duly did. The kids were too young for beers, so we celebrated with sodas and sandwiches brought by the parents. The season was over and I was about to take my leave, when the team captain said “Hold on coach,” gathered everybody round me, and shyly presented me with a briefcase! They then yelled, “Speech! Speech! I was really touched by their thoughtfulness and said so.

They then threw me in the river!

Everybody laughed their heads off, including me. It was around 35C, so I actually found it quite refreshing. The kids later told me they would not have tossed me in the river had they not liked me.

I went home pretty damp, but feeling damn good.
Iniquitous IV

A thing of beauty
November 23, 2023 6:28 am

I’m not going to comment on the AGM. More back slapping and turd polishing from the too stale,
Too Male, too pale board. It will never change. The only succession planning at Celtic is at boardroom level, with jobs for the boys in more ways than one.
Rebus,
I am disappointed you have taken your leave of the blog, mostly because you felt no one replied to
Your posts. I don’t think that’s true. You got replies sometimes and sometimes you didn’t. That’s the same for everyone. Your posts are always good quality but sometimes they say everything that needs to be said and are quietly appreciated. You mention the lead articles being similar and getting replies. How about you commit to an article a week. Your thoughts would be read and commented on and the rest of us would get a day off from bmcuwp and Mahe. I think we all enjoyed SES doing the leader on a Wednesda so how about it sir?

16 roads
November 23, 2023 7:21 am

Imagine an African person criticising the board of a Nigerian football club for being too dark and too male?

Or a Chinese person bemoaning the fact that the board of their club is too yellow and too male?

They’d be carted off to the nearest lunatic asylum,or worse.

😵‍💫

Just Sayin’
November 23, 2023 7:27 am

Rebus 67

From yesterday.
Does it really matter if you do not get a reply to every point you make?
Some of the chat on here is of interest, a lot of it can be repetitive familiarity which one has the option of scrolling by.

It’s a blog for discussing, if you manage to elicit responses, mostly football and mainly Celtic. If what you write doesn’t strike a cord with the SC demographic that doesn’t make it worthless. Someone somewhere will reflect on it, might even take something from it. Are you looking for anonymous recognition?
That strikes me as not being worth an awful lot.

It’s not a popularity contest to see who gets most replies. Some of your stuff will, some won’t.
Same for us all.

Maybe a thumbs up or down function might appeal to those who need validation in their lives.

Just Sayin’
November 23, 2023 7:37 am

A t o b

I’d add too frail to your list of “too’s”.

The old reactionaries on that Board should have been put out to pasture years ago.
Experience is essential but not when it becomes irrelevant or a barrier to progress.

The Star Above The Crest
November 23, 2023 10:39 am

Did Lawwell offer a response to Joe McHugh’s question?

A thing of beauty
November 23, 2023 11:10 am

16 roads,
Am I picking you up wrong or do you disagree that diversity is a good thing in the 21st century?
Just sayin,
That is for including the too frail bit about our board. Very good point.

November 23, 2023 11:33 am

The Star Above The Crest.

Did Lawwell offer a response to Joe McHugh’s question?
=====
I think Joe will set things out in his own blog but from memory PL was asked if he stood by his 5WA response to the AGM of 2019 and the answer was yes.

I’ve seen someone say that PL said he had never seen it and never will but PL basically doubled down on his 2019 response.

I’m starting to think he is playing on the word “seen” but original question started with was anyone at Celtic involved in the 5WA (again check if Joe provides more).

Now if anyone at Celtic was involved, and Eric Reilly was on the e mail list, then his response is at least disingenuous.

Reilly after the AGM also denied sight when asked by a requisitioner.

Of course if one or both had been involved in the drafting stage they would know what the 5WA contained so no need to look at the final version.

If neither were involved they are incompetent in allowing such an important agreement to be accepted by not checking it when it was delivered to both.

Either way PL’s presence is toxic and killing Celtic.

November 23, 2023 11:37 am

Auldheid et al….disingenuous or not, if the 5WA exists to protect one club at the expense of others EVERY club in the land should be taking legal advice as to whether and how they’ve been affected with a view to righting any wrongs.
Disingenuous is a great word…lying, conniving bastards probably covers it a bit more concisely!

November 23, 2023 11:56 am

ATOB makes a good point about your posts being so on the ball the only comment is to say so in a few words or say nothing.

My view in getting no responses is we ever know who is reading them and if only one person takes something on board from a post that helps them through better understanding that is the one starfish the post has made a difference to.

I’m getting a bit fed up with the mistrust that dismisses statements from Celtic.

I can understand why but it takes 2 parties to build trust so round and round we go to the point of asking what is the point?

So much has come out from publication of accounts and AGM I reckon there will be some issues you can get your teeth into.

This one about The Celtic Trust backing the GB at AGM might not be one of them but others might want to comment.

It is by James Forrest so adverts to navigate.

November 23, 2023 11:58 am

“EVERY club in the land should be taking legal advice”

I think the reason why they don’t is fear of hun mob retribution!

November 23, 2023 12:04 pm
Madmitch
November 23, 2023 12:09 pm

In a Monty Python voice — here comes the news.

The PFLP is not a proscribed organisation in the UK.
However — Wiki level of analysis unfortunately — it is seemingly a proscribed organisation in the EU.
P/head is not in the EU and neither is EUFA if its head office is in Switzerland.
Can of worms — meet a tin opener.

In contrast the PFLP-GC is a proscribed organisation in the UK for some wild and wacky reason.
The “General Command” side of the family are seen as far too close to Syria and Iran for HMG’s liking.
Consequently EUFA must have had the Ladybird book of Palestine organisations open to work out what was being waved and by whom.

Can you buy exotic flags at the Barras?
Was the person who was waving the flag called Gary — flighty / short hair / cash for beer / owns a van / takes the minutes?

Does anyone have a link to the EUFA decision against us for the home match against AM?
5 minute trawl of their site has come up blank.

November 23, 2023 12:20 pm
November 23, 2023 12:23 pm

MM

PFLP not proscribed? Best tell the government about that then. They’ll need to update their database. I doubt they draw the distinction between PFLP and PFLP General Command. Nor,I expect,would the courts.

CaltonTongues
November 23, 2023 12:23 pm

MM et al,

It’s UEFA: Union of European Football Associations – wee bugbear of mine.

As for the fines, one was for “provocative messages of an offensive nature” Anyone know what this is? Surely not a flag?

Also, in nearly every game, in UEFA competitions it seems both teams fined for some stupid reason – think Griffiths getting booked in Belfast against Linfield when a bottle was thrown at him and he showed it to the referee – this cost a fine as his booking was included in four others taking Celtic over the limit.

Madmitch
November 23, 2023 12:25 pm

Your report on the AGM comes across as a bunch of low energy white collar fans getting some “Dad” jokes out of hibernation.

We really do have an exec level that would shame a badly run bowling club.
PL boasting about how much tax we pay — he really is clueless / hopeless / useless in equal measure.

Chi’ken Li’ken levels of leadership — saving money for the rainy day that will soon come and find us without an umbrella.
Spare cash that will allow us to buy a towel to dry ourselves off and then work the tumble dryer.
The guy is off the scale stupid but he does DD’s bidding so that is all good.

I wonder what we will spend on the existing main stand — fabric repairs tells its own story.
Facility improvement is just papering the hall through the letterbox — wasteful at every level.

As for the Irish Raj angle — Jr saying not in my lifetime.
I see that as a cheap jibe to get the tyre kickers talking real money.

Even if they don’t want to sell up there is the possibility of new financing / rights issue to fund the Main Stand and a couple of signature signings.

Worth a watching that mob.

Possibility of a large scale rights issue is one way to keep the share price down — just saying like.
We really are a cheap date if we were ever to go back on the market.

SteveNaive
November 23, 2023 12:25 pm

Rebus,

I argue the toss with you on players ( remember Josh Thompson )and look forward to your views on them and on how games play out.

MM

It was the People’s Front of Judea…
‘Splitter’ !

Madmitch
November 23, 2023 12:32 pm

BMCUW @ 12.23

Text I found when I did a Google search:
HMG website on proscribed organisations.

*****
*****

Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command (PFLP-GC) – Proscribed June 2014
PFLP-GC is a left wing nationalist Palestinian militant organisation formed in 1968. It is based in Syria and was involved in the Palestine intifada during the 1970s and 1980s. The group is separate from the similarly named Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP).

From its outset, the group has been a Syrian proxy. PFLP-GC has been fighting in the Syrian war in support of Assad, including in Yarmouk Refugee Camp in July 2013. The group also issued statements in support of the Syrian government, Hizballah, and Iran.

*****
*****

My reading is that they are separate —

“The group is separate from the similarly named Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP).”

Link —

Madmitch
November 23, 2023 12:36 pm

Proscribed organisations continued …

Funnily enough the Stern Gang and Irgun are not on the list.
There must be a statute of limitations in force by HMG.

Good things come to those that wait — like state visits and dinners with Queenie.

The Star Above The Crest
November 23, 2023 12:40 pm

Auldheid @11.33

Thanks for the reply, I’ll keep an eye out for Joe’s blog

Madmitch
November 23, 2023 1:02 pm

Anybody got a link to the UEFA adjudication on the flag waving incident?

Can’t find it on their site.
Might be a grey moment — but so far no luck.

D R M
November 23, 2023 1:07 pm

I still don’t understand how a secret agreement can be made by any organisation, football or otherwise to allow them to kid on they are the same organisation and escape the laws of the liquidation land and receive special treatment by the governing bodies.
Why has the Scottish government and British government allowed this to happen.
As I have said before why are all the blogs and bloggers not uniting to get an answer to this first by pursuing peter lawell and secondly getting the agreement out in the open.

Also the fact the agm is accusing ange of being responsible for nepotism should also be challenged and investigated by fans through bloggers uniting.

Time for fans to take control of their game again using social media to get to the truth or accept groundhog day and just continue to talk about being shafted by politicians, governing bodies, board members, referees and var.

16 roads
November 23, 2023 1:08 pm

A thing of beauty

16 roads,

——————————————

Our western nations are the most diverse,tolerant countries on earth.

They do however depend on competent white men,in order to keep complex infrastructure systems running.

Replace/fire those people because of their skin colour and gender,then the complex infrastructure systems that we so often take for granted will begin to fail,like it or not.

If you can find or suggest better candidates to replace some of our current incumbents, based on merit alone, irrespective of colour or gender – I would be all for it.

The Idea of replacing them solely because of the colour of their skin and their gender is simply ludicrous and is a recipe for disaster.

ASWGL
November 23, 2023 1:12 pm

Bobby check your mail.

November 23, 2023 1:16 pm

16 ROADS

I think it is quite clear that women and racial minorities are woefully underrepresented on our board,and we should be aiming for more diversity there. However,you have a point. No right-minded person can be in favour of discrimination,and positive discrimination is still discrimination.

Quite the vicious circle,that one.

16 roads
November 23, 2023 1:20 pm

Thank you BMCUWP.

HH. 🍀

Madmitch
November 23, 2023 1:26 pm

White men in charge — the way it has been / the way it has to be seemingly.
I think the bit that is missing is privately educated / upper middle class / good chaps element that dominates any queue for a position of power.

We need “white men” in charge — has anyone been listening to the CoViD19 inquiry?
If that was success then heaven help us with failure.

Change has got to come.
And change will need to be encouraged.
Those that are in the queue know how the queue works — their parents told them.
We need to get new people to join the queue.

Current diversity efforts just mean that the majority private school element in the queue is just getting more international / exotic.
Down South they don’t care about skin tone as long as you have the accent.

Not good.

November 23, 2023 2:15 pm

DRM

====
Good question about harnessing social media to keep focus on key issues.

Problem is each have their own blog persona with mix of comments about football, governance, * Vojvodina/memories Rangers so perhaps what is needed is a bloggers blog concentrating on off field issues that affect Celtic.

I think the only way to get true accountability is campaign via social media.

-* joke BP.

JimDom
November 23, 2023 2:19 pm

It might take a few more years to pass before we can decide if Son Of Dermot’s statement that Celtic will remain in Desmondville for a very long time, is a good or a bad thing. Just like our fathers and grandfathers had with the Kellys, Whites, and Grants.

Stuff happens in life and nothing stays the same forever. I’m sure DD will be very much aware of how it ended for the old regime, back in March 1994.

History does have a habit of repeating itself.

D R M
November 23, 2023 2:28 pm

Auldheid, totally agree that blogs and bloggers have different ideas about what is worth talking about but when we are still talking about 5 way agreements, referees etc after all these years then they are still current and affecting the game and the team we all love.
In ten years time will we still be talking about var, a certain teams penalties for and against etc because all everyone does is discuss things that are there to benefit one team and one team only.

November 23, 2023 2:36 pm

One thing I have learned is getting replies is not necessarily a good thing! It has made me think. But first, I must apologise for being a distraction to the blog.

Let me clarify. I am a numbers junkie, always will be. Writing is a task for me. It does not come easily. So each post is a task, not made easier by the knowledge that what goes out there has a permanence associated with it.

The last three I put out received virtually no response. That is not a criticism of anyone or the blog. I am balanced enough to know that I can be wrong and I am comfortable with that. Learning is what it is all about.

Do I need validation? That is a difficult one to answer honestly. Am I without ego? I doubt it but I do not need people to agree with me, just debate the points I make.

My comment about elements of my posts appearing in lead articles was not a critique of Mahe or Bobby. It just illustrated that some of my issues could be debated if published by someone else. That might have as much to do with my competence as anything else.

ATOB, I know it is difficult to write a leader every day and I think the blog masters do a great job. Personally, I think that one article every day is too much for anyone to sustain. Half it to one every two days. As to your challenge, it brings me to some personal circumstances. My life has changed fundamentally due to my wife’s illness. Basically, I have to do more about the house. Perhaps, it is not needed but I cannot take the risk that her heart may fail again. I simply do not have the time to write articles for the blog, though I would like very much to do that.

The latter has obliged me to re-evaluate how I spend my time every day. The blog is a casualty of that process. Now I have said more than I wanted to about my personal life and sound like a bleeding heart.

If circumstances improve I shall return to the blog but I do not see that happening soon.

I shall not reply to any comment on this.

Tx Rebus

A thing of beauty
November 23, 2023 2:44 pm

16 Roads
Our western nations are the most diverse,tolerant countries on earth.

/////—-////—-////—-/////——//////——////
I am not in agreement with positive discrimination but I find it incredible that when one of our old pals, stake males disappear they are replaced with someone of the same pale stale male background.

Magua
November 23, 2023 2:45 pm

Good leader. Perhaps a boycott of next year’s AGM by the small shareholders, would send a message to the incompetents who run our club. After all, they treat the supporters with utter contempt. It’s high time that the serve was returned.

Happy Thanksgiving Day to Mahe and INIQUITOUS IV, and all USA based Celts on CQN. Have a terrific day with your families bhoys.

I hope you will be back when you feel the time is right.

Hail Hail.

Magua
November 23, 2023 3:10 pm

Oops. Forgot Mags was domiciled in the USA. My bad. Happy Thanksgiving to you and the family.

Hail Hail.

16 roads
November 23, 2023 3:12 pm

A thing of beauty @ November 23, 2023 2:44 pm

—————————————

Some of them look like they haven’t seen sunlight in years.

Wanna know why this is?

Work, that’s why.

They’re at it, non-stop from dusk till dawn.

Making deals, working moves, scheming or whatever it is they do.

It’s they’re mentality, and it’s why they’re successful businessmen.

Driven.

Totally different mindset.

I don’t understand them.

Retire,or take a year out,go lie on a beach and put your feet up ffs.

Insanity to me it is.

HH. 😎☀️☘️🍹

D R M
November 23, 2023 3:24 pm

Rebus you most certainly don’t sound like a bleeding heart and it confirms that no one knows what’s going on in other people’s footsteps.
Hopefully you will be a short time lurker and be back on when the time is right. Keep positive and happy.

November 23, 2023 3:30 pm

Happy Thanksgiving day to all our USA Bhoys and Girls 💚💚💚💚💚

I managed to dig this out from Iniquitous last trip back home.

Hope he doesn’t mind me posting this, but him and BRRB in Glasgow, are 2 fine gents and human beings 🍀🍀

HH 💚

Madmitch
November 23, 2023 3:52 pm

R67 @ 2.36

There is room for only one numbers junkie on this blog …

So I will hang up my abacus and leave the field open to yourself.
Some ideas / topics can be slow burners.

November 23, 2023 4:12 pm

AFTERNOON ALL AND JIM just reading back, rebus 67 haste ye back, as regards you saying your posts are getting ignored remember JIMTHETIM53 saying sometihng similar 2 years ago, but he never said he was leaving the blog because of it, my good mate FRODSHAMBHOY posts and he seldom gets a response but he doesnt go saying im going to leave the blog, nobody’s talking to me, FFS we all have posts that get lost in cyberspace for whatever reason,you are a good poster ,just think about it before you leave the blog,,another true story,H.H,

November 23, 2023 4:15 pm

LEGGY and MAGUA

Thank you very much indeed for the Thanksgiving greetings.

LEGGY, my agent is muttering about image rights, but hey ho!🤣😂😅
Iniquitous IV😊

Magua
November 23, 2023 4:30 pm

👍

November 23, 2023 4:31 pm

Reports of multiple stabbings in Dublin

November 23, 2023 4:58 pm

went to maguas house this afternoon, it was open, big pan of lorne sausage and some well fired rolls, he left a note help yourself packy then seen a note please leave your credit card number,FFS even solkitts does not demand that, another true story.LOL 😂

16 roads
November 23, 2023 5:04 pm

Haste ye back Rebeus67.

A must read.

HH. 🍀

A thing of beauty
November 23, 2023 5:07 pm

16 Roads,
Given what you think may be happening in Dublin I will respect that now is not the time for a discussion about whether you are taking the Micky or not. Thoughts with those affected in Dublin.

November 23, 2023 5:16 pm

Three kids among the 5 victims, one seriously injured. Suspect in custody.

Magua
November 23, 2023 5:29 pm

Big Packy

😂

Terrible incident in Dublin. 🙏

November 23, 2023 5:34 pm

MAGUA just been reading back ,what happened ?