Welcome to Celtic Nicholas Kuhn

The 24 year old German winger has finally completed his move for a reported 3 million fee.

“I feel great that I’m finally here and I can’t wait. Celtic is one of the biggest clubs around and I’m really happy to be here,” he said.

“I am really motivated to do well for this great club and I want to get working immediately as we face our challenges in the League and the Cup this year, so I’m really excited for what’s coming.

“In the end, at Celtic, it’s about doing all we can to win every game, so that is the challenge here. I can’t wait to get going and do my very best for our supporters.”

Brendan had this to say,,,”We believe he is a dynamic player who has an excellent level of quality and all the attributes to fit well into our style of play”

All the best in your Celtic career, big man. May your spell be a successful one.

January 17, 2024 6:54 am

Good news,folks! We’ve finally stopped the procrastinating and cleared the obstacles,so we can now proudly go ahead with The Sentinel Celts Charity Drive.

The plan is to nominate a charity which we can all donate to as and when each of us have funds available to do so. CHALMERSBHOY has already managed over £200 via the winners of his monthly £10 charity bet from the SC Naps Competition,and will continue to do this. We also have the three big racing festivals at Cheltenham,Aintree and Royal Ascot where we will ask for voluntary donations to enter.

I’ll accept nominations for the charity over the next two weeks. The plan is to rotate the chosen charity every six months. From Jan 25-31 I will list the nominated charities,and everyone who contributes to the site can vote on them,with the winner announced on Feb 1st.

I’ll start us off with MacMillan Cancer Support,who helped two close work colleagues and their families through the last months of their lives.

The latest additions to the roster are Blood Cancer UK

MS Society Scotland

Scottish Charity Air Ambulance

Transverse Myelitis UK

SCIAF

January 17, 2024 6:58 am

C’mon,folks. We all know you are a charitable bunch. What’s your favoured charity? This is your chance to nominate it here and provide a much-needed boost to its coffers over the next six months.

Just name the charity. No need to provide a link,I should hopefully be able to do that.

January 17, 2024 6:59 am

Morning all,

Welcome to Celtic Nicholas 🍀🍀

I personally think you will do very well here 💚

Enjoy the Rollercoaster ride 👍

Now !!!!!!!

Where’s the next signing ??????????

We’ll see ………………

OpTimisticCSC🍀🍀🍀 HH

January 17, 2024 7:29 am

I’ll nominate MS Society Scotland 👍

January 17, 2024 7:42 am

CRAIG76

Thanks,mate. I’ll include that in the relevant comment after tomorrow’s article and until 24 Jan. It will the be included in the vote from 25-31 Jan along with other nominations.

Just Sayin’
January 17, 2024 8:03 am

I assume that NK is the attacker/ striker that completes the match day 20 squad.

Another loan or two perhaps on a try before we buy option?

Looks like we have completed our business early in the window.

Hoping the Bhoy gets off to a flier for his sake- a lot of negative chat around and about him.

January 17, 2024 8:46 am

JUSTSAYIN

All of us want Kuhn to be a roaring success. Two problems though being that little in his past suggests that,while plenty in our recent past screams just another project.

Not the player’s fault. The blame for that lies elsewhere.

Just Sayin’
January 17, 2024 8:49 am

The blame for that definitely lies elsewhere, but too many in the support swallow MSM tripe whole and regurgitate it verbatim.

Perhaps the same intolerant lot screaming to get rid of Bernardo after a couple of apps.

Auldbhoy67
January 17, 2024 10:22 am

BMCWP

I would like to nominate SCAA.org.uk. Its the Scottish Charity Air Ambulance. Not the Air Ambulance which is govt funded.

Madmitch
January 17, 2024 10:30 am

5 and a half year deal — the ghost JMcL @ DU works its magic?
Seems a bit mental — I thought that EUFA had put out a 5 year contract limit?

He must be the gravy — hopefully we are working away at LB / RB / GK.
Pump priming these positions for the next 18 months.

What would be good would be some real punts / projects — bringing in 18 year olds for the B Team.
We really are struggling at this level — what talent we do find leaves ASAP / those who stay are big fish in a puddle.

Not good.

Madmitch
January 17, 2024 10:37 am

NK — I think he has a fair chance of becoming a bit of a star / personality.

DB on the other hand was a total dud in flashing lights — 27’ish / at a competitive team / injuries / strops / looking for a pension.
We walked straight into that one — I wonder where PL got the inspiration for that brain fart?

MC @ special milk / BR breakfast date was another that was a dud you could see from space.

NK has his challenges / he really would appear to be looking for football salvation.
However — to me anyway — he is nowhere near as risky as the two above.

Looking forward to seeing him play.

January 17, 2024 10:44 am

5 and a half year contract for a 24yr old who’s only played 60 games in his career and another winger at that .
Looks like another great bit of business from our recruitment team.

January 17, 2024 10:45 am

Can I nominate Transverse Myelitis UK

January 17, 2024 10:57 am

The number Nicolas has been given may be a clue to where Brendan see’s him playing.

I’ll be really surprised if Brendan is thinking of him as a wide player.

Really looking forward to seeing him play.

Everything I’ve read and seen would suggest he’ll be a smasher.

With Ajax and Bayern on your CV …what’s not to like.

Willkommen Nicolas no10.

HH.

JimDom
January 17, 2024 11:08 am

Tend not to get too excited about new recruits until I’ve seen them in the flesh, in the Celtic jersey. We should have learned our lesson by now. Don’t buy the usual massive club, wonderful stadium, fantastic fans stuff. Anyone can read a script.

The boy could do himself a favour and hit the ground running with goals, assists, and staying injury free. Not too much to ask.

Charity Drive. Will echo BMCUWP with MacMillan Cancer Support.

Fan
January 17, 2024 11:14 am

Transfer window reminds me of recent cup finals against Aberdeen and Hearts.
The excitement and expectation pre match followed by tepid performances.
The elation of winning but underwhelmed by our performance.
Left with the impression we could do better.

Just Sayin’
January 17, 2024 11:22 am

I guess that’s our business done unless a wildcard becomes available- the lad Beck at Liverpool?

NK our Haksabanovic replacement?

The squad should be enough to see us over the line but a fair distance away from competing in the CL.

January 17, 2024 11:31 am

The club still don’t have a proper left back or defensive midfielder.

I’d like to see both those things addressed this month.

Add in a Sutton type centre, so that our wide men have someone to aim all those crosses at.

Triple Cameron’s wages!

I know, I know.

HH.

Tyrone9
January 17, 2024 11:40 am

Hope the new bhoy does well!

But a prolific goalscorer / a great goalie can cover a multitude of deficiencies and get results with mediocre performances ( in the SPFL.) With 16 games remaining , we’re not going to click inthem all. So a proper centre forward still required. Maeda, Abada or Khun playing there, gives me the heebie jeebies, along the lines of Mikey Johnston or Lewis Morgan which I m still not over .
Any one of Shankland, Miosivic, van Hooidonk would improve us, (IMO. )Especially if Kyogo’s injury continues to hamper him.
15 victories will do me btw…

January 17, 2024 11:53 am

I read on the twitterverse last week, Brendan likes his wingers to cut inside (Sinclair and Roberts did it quite a lot) I think Kuhn will play on the right and cut inside and shoot with his left, a direct replacement for Forrest possibly 🤔

January 17, 2024 12:19 pm

Kuhn said he had a long chat with Brendan, I don’t remember any of the summer signings saying the same……

bournesouprecipe
January 17, 2024 12:32 pm

Nicolas Kuhn will hopefully be the player Marko Tilio and
Yang Hyun-Jun were meant to be. Celtic spending the only available money in Scotland, kind of sums up our total domestic domination.

Not getting development games in Eredivisie for Ajax or the real Bundesliga for Bayern aren’t the equivalence of games in other lesser leagues such as the SPL. Nicolas Kuhn’s 5 1/2 contract is a good insurance policy for us, in a game where two or three seasons is a long time, and if he matures as hoped, it means we get top dollar if big hitters become suitors.

Pushes players who won’t get a game along the corridor towards the revolving door, striker required unless BR has new plans for Daizen Maeda.

January 17, 2024 12:40 pm

BSR, nice bit of positivity 👍

Cosy Corner Bhoy
January 17, 2024 12:53 pm

McMillan support for me

Cosy Corner Bhoy
January 17, 2024 1:03 pm

Willkommen Herr Kuhn
Like all Celtic players he will have my full backing and support
Surely he will get a run-out on Sunday

January 17, 2024 1:05 pm

COSYCORNERBHOY,JIMDOM

Bit early for the voting,still at the nominations stage for another week.

Cosy Corner Bhoy
January 17, 2024 1:08 pm

I would appreciate if readers here who are that way inclined could offer prayers for the soul of a good friend of mine for many years who died today
Paul was a season ticket holder in the main stand for many many years and in his work knew many of the 80s players. Thank you in advance
RIP Paul McNulty.

January 17, 2024 1:10 pm

bournesouprecipe @ 12.32
I think Brendan is going to try Maeda at left back 😟

Cosy Corner Bhoy
January 17, 2024 1:10 pm

BMCUWP: If you know who you’re going to vote for that’s who you vote for😀
Will vote again on due date but don’t count me as two votes😀

January 17, 2024 1:11 pm

COSYCORNERBHOY

Sorry to hear about Paul. You always spoke very well of him,though I never met him. Another sad loss.

R I P

January 17, 2024 1:12 pm

COSYCORNERBHOY

Two votes? What do you think this is-the Six Counties?

January 17, 2024 1:29 pm

Mad Mitch

I thought that EUFA had put out a 5 year contract limit
====
They did and so did PLeague.

Since no SFA equivalent then it looks like Celtic can offer 5.5 years but will limit costs to 5 years in UEFA licence application.

Either that or there are circumstances Celtic have cleared with UEFA that allow wriggle room.

January 17, 2024 1:31 pm

Philip Clement today on being asked if R2ngers would sell Yilmaz:
“We cannot go on in three competitions with one left full-back.”

Erm……what are we doing with that position? ( although in only 2 competitions )🤔

January 17, 2024 1:35 pm

I propose SCIAF as nominated party.

January 17, 2024 1:41 pm

Just Sayin @ 11.22

The last sentence of your post , sums us up as a club.

Jimtim
January 17, 2024 1:43 pm

Had the misfortune to read ( on my neighbours paper BTW ) the slevering of Danny Murphy , of course the daily ranger carried the story , god this chappy really dislikes the Celtic , never a good word for us at all , pumping his gums about derby games not worth watching now ,because no opposition fans allowed in nothing about who started it , another wee soup taker . On another point is anyone else concerned by the continual absence of ccv . He is the best centre half we have had for a while , but I fear there may be more going on in the background than constant injuries . It seems to be the way of it when we find a star he is tempted away , and I fear that could be the case with him . . I wonder if that’s our buying done ,would anyone be surprised

bournesouprecipe
January 17, 2024 1:56 pm

Yip, more than enough people put the boot into Celtic

St Tams

Steady

January 17, 2024 2:01 pm

Jimtim
TBH I don’t understand the current fixation on the no away fans. The next game is not until April but its all over the papers, Sky and of course the BBC, with a piece by Chris McLaughlin which completely lied on how it started. Jackson consistently lies about it too.

I read that shite from Murphy too, you don’t get much atmosphere from 700 fans anyway, unless you put a microphone in amongst them 😉

Madmitch
January 17, 2024 2:17 pm

SKY is putting on a full court press to get away fans back into our games vs Team Govan.

They obviously must have numbers regarding outside interest in our games with them and will have numbers if the lack of away fans is affecting their viewing figures — strange issue to die in a ditch for but SKY want to make money and their local management pray towards Govan.

Usual talking heads wheeled out to support the PR grid.
Tells you nothing apart from who is looking for work.

Injuries — some people have been pretty sore on the new bloke.
Better to concentrate of how we are handling injuries to our existing players?

Starting with CCV.
Then KF and RH.

Our record recently has not been great.
Suggests that we are short staffed / don’t have the expertise or we are pushing things a bit too hard.

AP had issues working with a poorly prepared squad — thanks NL.
And now we seem to have them dropping like flies especially if they have come from the J League.

Hopefully we are using the winter break to maximum effect.

January 17, 2024 2:19 pm

AULDHEID,MM

I don’t think there is a limit on contract length. The limit is on amortisation length. Could be wrong though.

January 17, 2024 2:25 pm

Afternoon all,

Let’s hope Nicholas gets a good run out on Sunday as this is the perfect first game opposition for him , methinks 👍

Cosy Corner Bhoy,

I’ll say a wee prayer for your friend.

RIP Paul 🙏🙏🙏

January 17, 2024 2:31 pm

JIMTIM

Murphy is a third-rate sub on some media platforms. Rent-a-gob,cos he has a living to make. Not worth soiling tomorrow’s fish and chips with.

As for CCV,I’m more concerned about how his repeated absences affect our side. And what they say about the underlying injury problems at the club. He was largely injury free at various clubs before joining us,and very few had training facilities like ours.

Yet,hamstring problems. Chronicly. That type of issue is only supposed to strike when players have been playing at the top level from a very young age. However,it might also be because he spends 90% of his time strolling about at the back and the other 10% puts too much strain on cooling legs.

Madmitch
January 17, 2024 2:58 pm

BMCUW @ 2.19

The amortisation angle — had similar thoughts myself when the NK contract was publicised.
However soon got lost in the fog of history — JMcL / DU / Indentured servitude.
What was his record — 8 or 9 years for some poor waif from “Victorian” Dundee.

January 17, 2024 3:53 pm

I am happy to put my hand up and say I have judged new players too quickly.

I did it with Jota. I did it with Maeda. i am still doing it with Maeda 😀 I did it with Scales, although he seemed to be playing as a midfielder then. Yep, I make mistakes. Hopefully, I learn from them.

Consequently, I am saying nothing about Niclas Kuhn for a little while, except to welcome him to the club. I hope he does well. If nothing else, we shall see how much history matters.

Not being part of the negotiations, I do not know what role the contract length played in their success, but 5.5 years seems exceedingly generous. It will cover Niclas until he is around 30 over the prime of his career. If he flops that is quite a pay out. If he impresses, he is probably gone to the EPL in two years for a nice profit for both RV and us. It is never not about money in football nowadays.

Rebus

January 17, 2024 4:19 pm

Good afternoon, friends.
Back home after a couple of days in The Lake District and still thawing out.
Logically I can understand why UEFA would put a limit on amortizing the costs of a transfer fee. This needn’t match what the actual length of the contract is. Under the new rules, clubs are limited each year and can only spend a set amount on their player costs
– eventually this will bottom out to be 70% of the ‘football income’. Players salaries are simple – whatever they actually get paid each season gets counted in that year’s figures. But when a team buys a relatively expensive player, or a number of them, then if the transfer fee itself had to all be included within that years accounts the situation would become distorted. So, instead, the transfer fee can be amortised (plain English – apportioned or written off) over a number of years. So, logically, UEFA MUST have a limit on this period (5 years?) otherwise teams could easily manipulate the new rules: buy a player for £20M but amortize the cost over 10 years therefore only £2M needs to be included within ‘playing costs’ each year.
Therefore I think that clubs CAN offer players 6 or 7 year deals. But if there are any one off costs involved, usually transfer fees or a signing on fee then these can only be written off over a maximum of 5 years.
Finally, the writing off period should never be longer than the players contract – sometimes referred to as the ‘useful life of an asset’. That’s a be really accepted accounting rule and I assume is also built into UEFAs financial rules.
Disclaimer – all of the above is aff the tapa maheid but I may actually read the new UEFA rules one of these winter evenings 🙂

January 17, 2024 4:51 pm

On contract length, it might be that friend Kuhn has a 4.5 year deal with a 1 year option.

On the other hand, he may not!

Cannot say I care. Why not give him a 3 year deal and review it after 1 year? Safer, No?

Rebus

January 17, 2024 5:20 pm

Rumour is a LB ,and a striker on loan with option to buy

January 17, 2024 5:22 pm

I’ll nominate MS Society Scotland
**********
C76

When I first looked at this, I thought you meant Ms. Scotland

🙂

Billy Bhoy
January 17, 2024 5:23 pm

Hi Guys

I’ve just returned from Barbados to Glesga. Deary me – 29c to 0c in under 10 hours. Jeez!

Good to see the first signing in the door. Here’s hoping there’s another 3 coming in behind him. I’m looking forward to the game on Sunday but looking at the local news I’m wondering if the game is in doubt. Will the Buckie team be able to travel down ok? Maybe DD will need to fly them down in the private jet we utilise for flying the boys to Dubai.