Men of moments

A big win? Aye.
A good game? No.

Ill start with the positives.
There were changes, two strikers selected to start, which reassures that the manager is watching the same game as us, and like us isnt happy with what hes seeing. With the win, and one them scoring, the ‘experiment’ can be deemed a success which will more than likely result in continuation. More on this later.

The makeshift defense kept a clean sheet, Joe is having a patch of good form at a good time, very handy as we are giving up chances at the back, the Saints had the same number of attempts as Celtic despite half the possession.

The subs were impactful,, Yang, OH, Kuhn and Bernardo are pretty decent players to introduce. At least one of them should have scored I reckon, I thought we were better after their introduction.

The quarter final draw was pretty kind, we fight on two fronts, it’s probably two strikers from here on, 9 in a row without defeat, still top of the league with CCV, AJ, and Reo to come back,,,the op-TIM-ist has enough to cling to.

The negatives.
That was a poor game and we were poor in general. There was very little actual quality on display, and to be honest they should have scored with a free header in the box around the 70 minute mark. While the win was the most important thing, thats 9 games now we haven’t lost, but haven’t sparkled either. At this stage I’m wondering if team form will arrive at all, because to me we are just a team of moments as the title suggests.

Very methodical in possession the team looks for an individual spark to create something, usually a winger beating their man or just getting a cross away without doing so, then play the percentages with headers, shots and/or rebounds. It’s been effective hence being top, but it’s not a pretty watch and in my humble opinion isn’t conducive to European football were teamplay is much more important. Recently we aren’t fluid, expressive, or intimidating to play against. The majority of times our superior quality carries us through, rather than superior shape or play. Occasionally the team have sparkled, in Europe at times and the December derby springs to mind, so there is another gear there to be found again, it’s frustrating they never seem to find it.

The middle of the park.
If we are going two in the middle to accommodate two strikers,,,gulp!
As Matt and Paolo like to attack its leaving Callum by himself to hold the midfield? Double gulp!
If you’re going to play two in the middle they better be very good, very strong, and very calm under pressure with lots of options around them. That’s not us,,Reo might, just might, be quality enough to successfully form an axis with Callum but then we can’t afford a Matt or Bernardo. Two true workers are required for that formation, workers with a lot of tools in their locker, we will get smothered in Europe and Ibrox with just two in the middle and one of them playing ahead.
I’m a true convert to 3 in the middle nowadays, this switch does not get my stamp of approval. If 2 strikers then 3-5-2, but I personally wouldn’t move away from 4-3-3 which has delivered good football and good recent success.

I’m genuinely worried about this switch and these stats back up my fears,,with 3 in the middle a month or so ago we limited them to 3 shots and had more possession.

With two in the middle they have six times as many shots and more possession, plus tons more corners which arent exactly our forte.

For a possession based team it doesn’t make sense to concede it more often due to team shape, we also achieved less shots with two strikers playing compared to the previous clash.

Okay enough with the stats, what about Matt? He’s fallen off a cliff so to speak, from the happy main man to the Madrid man to bench him please man? He wouldn’t be in my current team, I notice Abada didn’t make the team nor bench presumably because he’s been gash and his heads not in the right place. Well, he’s not alone. Matt’s only as good as his last game, which was pretty woeful I reckon. His fee will cover Bernardo’s, best to play the bhoy who wants to be here rather than the bhoy who has checked out already. Harsh? Possibly. Away soon? Almost a certainty. Giving his all recently? Not in these eyes. I’d move on, literally and metaphorically, and on this form his pricetag is depreciating. The Beeb awarded him 3.7 outta 5 for this outing,,,7 players ranked ahead of him on the day yet this is our star player and not only that very coveted elsewhere?
Hit the road jack, as the old song says.
It’s not personal, strictly business.
He’s not the man to pin our title hopes upon, not in these eyes anyway.

If the title is retained it will be down to the unlikely lads I reckon,,Scales, Hart, Ralston, Kuhn, Idah, Bernardo, Welsh, aided and abetted by Kyogo and Maeda’s goals. If the Cup is to be retained it’s our rear guard need thanking.
We live to fight another day, yet all my fears remain.

By Mahe
sentinelcelts@gmail.com

February 11, 2024 8:49 pm

The Sentinel Celts Charity Drive has nominated Blood Cancer UK as the recipient for funds for the next six months to 31/07/2024.

We have set up a GoFundMe page for those who have some spare cash to donate,even from a lucky windfall or finding a tenner in the street.

Click on the link for more details,including how to donate.

Please give generously to a very deserving cause!

February 11, 2024 8:50 pm

POTY competition sencelpoty@gmail.com

16 roads
February 11, 2024 9:22 pm

Good read Mahe,thank you.

It’s difficult to be overly critical, considering the fact that we are missing so many key personnel.

The results show that the team has coped remarkably well,all things considered.

8 wins and a draw from our last 9 games – not too shoddy.

Our manager seems perfectly calm, and confident despite the many setbacks.

To quote Brendan, himself: “We’ll get there.”

When all is said & done – the only stat which matters is this one – St.Mirren 0-2 Celtic.

All credit to Brendan and the players.

HH.🍀

A Thing Of Beauty
February 11, 2024 9:27 pm

8 wins and a draw in the last 9 games! While not playing well. Struggling with major injuries, unable to put a settled team on the park, changes every game to personnel, new players to be integrated. All of it has an effect but our expectations are high, and rightly so but sometimes we’re just a tad too critical.
/////——/////——-////——/////——/////——-.////////
I’m pretty much in agreement with you McCaff. It’s hard to build from the base BR was given in the summer. Factor in the injuries and the young players who have no idea how hard it is to play for Celtic every week and it is no wonder we are struggling. I’m very concerned about the league as it seems we have a poor performance in us far too frequently to win all 13 games remaining. If we are to win then it’ll be because our better players start to click. I thought Palma was a lot better today and Kyogo was better too. Bernabei is not one of our better players but he never hides. More of this attitude from others would help.

CaltonTongues
February 11, 2024 10:05 pm

Well done Ivory Coast.

Bassey and Aribo still losers 😁

February 11, 2024 10:24 pm

We live to fight another day, yet all my fears remain,
This club of ours can be but joy, in cases unexplained,
Football tis a simple thing, receive and pass the ball,
Loving Celtic oft like a ‘mare, head against the wall.

Why can’t you see we only lack, the balls to grab the horns?
The bull will struggle and fight back, but there’s roses ‘mongst the thorns,
This club of ours why with their pockets could storm the ‘nent itself,
But older men, who dine on hen, say careful with your wealth.

You cannot outspend them lad, you couldn’t shouldn’t compete,
For there’s a hundred million dollars alone, in just one pair of feet,
Be happy son that we’re still here, sit down and take a seat,
The fat man sings to the disco lights, the whole affair complete.

Right then I stood up from my chair, my finger pointed thus,
Pete gave one glance, here came yer man, he was 300 pounds plus.
I said you’ve had enough of the trough,
Now sell the club to us.

I stopped gorilla in his tracks, with one look of my eye,
I thought about Jock, Tommy, and Billy, and nearly did I cry.
My late great father’s vision, another Lisbon in the wings,
Seville and Henrik Larsson, we hail the King of Kings.

‘Tis 20 years since we rose high now all I see is fat! There’s many many people who await much much more than that,
I ask ye all twat is the plan ‘cos money lies asunder,
You each best look me in the eye and say the plans not plunder!

Michael said sure take a seat this chat will be a long one,
I told him I’ll stand right here and the long one is the wrong one,
No explanation should be needed, just lay out the facts,
Did you read the 5 way yourself, did you embrace the cursed pact?

His eyes went down, of course they did, but young Desmond he jumped up.
‘You’re lucky to be invited here’, sit down and listen I told the pup,
‘My luck it rests on many things, my friends, my soul, my bones,
The people that I’ve buried, the place that I call home.

I look out these windows and I DO see Paradise,
You cast your eyes and all you behold, is a pack of sheep and mice.
You don’t see thon great people and you don’t see the best in folk,
All you sees their wallet, the club you treat a joke.

I tell ye all right here and now, the end road it starts right here,
I’ll fight for my old Ireland, and the club that I hold dear,
I’ll give me best, I’ll give me all, I’ll barter with the wife,
To you its just a hobby, to us we call it life.

Does your waking hours be taken up, of how we can improve,
Are you plotting to scale the ladder, a club right on the move,
Do you represent this club so well, that men are taking stock?
Aye you do spout the right words, but can you walk the walk?

Do you have a vision, for this world famous club?
Or is the plan let’s just get fat and rich, and then the cub?
Me, I want more glory, than Hibernia it offers,
Some European knock out ties, some opening of coffers.

I look at ye and all I see, is the men of yesterday.
Does your heart still race upon some fast attacking play,
Or do you all look elsewhere, to your accounts, your figures and your banks.
And that’s why we break up my friends, youve much profit yet little thanks’.

Drew67
February 11, 2024 10:33 pm

Again.a win..but imo better but no totally convincing.still feel the midfield hide when our CB’s are passing ball back n forth.hoping we’ll finally get it together for run in but injuries to defenders and a shapeless midfield aint helpin.forwards with better service will score.sorry for negative vibes but still a big improvement required to win league and cup.

SFTB
February 11, 2024 10:33 pm

Superbru Round 25 update

We still have 2 games to go in this game week but Bada Bing’s reign as the punter with the best weekly score has already been broken. The first to do so is Hutchybhoy with 15.5 points but 3 others (Billy Bhoy, Nawlite & Batten Bhoy) have equalled Bada’s score and are likely to break it on Wednesday. It looks like the winner of this prize might come from this game week

Margaret McGill
February 11, 2024 10:40 pm

Mahe @10.33
Is that penned by you ?
Superb

petec
February 11, 2024 10:45 pm

Jamesie Bhoy,

You are so right.

Who wants a rewind?

I do
**********************************
16 roads

Brilliant interview from Brendan.

Presenter said 14 Scottish cup games played and 14 won.

Brendan replied “aye, the luck of the Irish!” 🤣

Lenny and Jim Goodwin emphasising how difficult it must be with all the injuries and the constant chopping and changing.

Think we need to cut the manager and the players some slack.

And for those from within the Celtic boardroom and other blogs, that are constantly trying to undermine.the manager.. yous need to cease, for the sake of our football club.

HH.🍀
**************

I know I need to drop an anthem noooo.

This isnae the best wan, saving that for Later.

Njoi

Junglist Possee gonnae watch Crap TV.

petec in effect.

February 11, 2024 10:50 pm

Mags, aye and thanks. Enjoy the ‘Bowl!

petec
February 11, 2024 11:01 pm

From my Mind to Yours.

The Musik Maker was definitely Trippy.

the upload deserves bettah,a cracking DJ tae.

I was a wee bit tattie scone that particular Night through to Dawn.

I had no Idea I’m a Punk!!!

petec
February 11, 2024 11:12 pm

Angst isa word. Guid to See Jamesie and Mags gettin’ on Don Corleone sdylee.

Here is An absbsolute Bernhard Langer.

Njoi Greays.

petec
February 11, 2024 11:16 pm

F2

oops I did it again

Any recommendations for Fridge Freezers?

Dinnae ask why.

🙂

petec
February 11, 2024 11:26 pm

Michael, James is strong.

I’m Lucky havivn’ you Baith ther

February 11, 2024 11:40 pm

Auldheid…do you think not? Do you think Calmac has a wrong or bad attitude? Do you not think he’s a winner? Neither Welsh nor Ralston are first choice for their positions so while I accept they have shown great attitude when handed their chances they are obviously good squad players but not good enough to be promoted to first picks!
===
When I said Ya think it was my way of agreeing with you

Like when some says something they think that you agree with. Lost in translation.

McGregor has attitude OK but I’m talking about a “they shall not pass” attitude which was much needed today from Ralston and Welsh.

I reckon MoR will return to form when the grass has riz.

In terms of effectiveness McGregor’s pass to Palma was effective as was his cross to Kyogo who effectively scored.

Palma again effectively crossed for MoR to hit the bar and Maeda effectively scored which was a surprise as he had not been that effective until then.

I see little appreciation of these factors in those who over criticise.

I saw BR give Ralston a big thank you as they shared a laugh which I took to mean Ralston did what it says on the tin.

We were great, we were better than two previous games and if we can keep getting results until starters return then

Puff puff
February 11, 2024 11:42 pm

I’m enjoying the wee bowl anaw mahe

February 12, 2024 12:09 am

Puff, have a good one!

Puff puff
February 12, 2024 12:10 am

Ffs not only does wee McCaff gee us a break doon of the Celtic but he’s playing in the SB anaw.

February 12, 2024 8:00 am

PUFFPUFF

He’s a man of many talents!

Madmitch
February 12, 2024 8:25 am

Interesting numbers regarding the two games against the Buddies.
My take — we never looked to be in control yesterday.

We played some good still but when we gave the ball away there was always a danger that they would create chances. We never put them under the pressure they were putting on us. So the game was far too competitive — fine margins where KF’s shot went through the defenders legs and they put a free header past the post.

Player ability was part of the issue as was set up and positioning.
Going to 4-4-2 reduced our cover on the wings.

On the right we only had AR and DM covering against their left flank.
Too many times they worked space for their LB to advance and cross.

In contrast when we have played 4-3-3 there would be three players working the flank.
FB / wide MF’er / winger — so we gained in one area but were reduced in another.

Lots of work to do.
Our last 4 games have been poor.

Madmitch
February 12, 2024 8:33 am

Also — Big thanks to G64 regarding the Glasgow pub / peanut barrel question.
Brahms and List was the name I was looking for.

How the world has changed …
Peanuts in bars.

1980’s Glesga — quirky gimmick leading to a crunchy floor.
2020’s Global mass affluence — tourist staple at £20 plus for a cocktail.
Wife was happy so worth it.

Jimtim
February 12, 2024 9:44 am

Mahe , good piece and i agree totally . We got the result but we weren’t overly impressive . In fact we rode our luck quite a bit . The makeshift defence are doing pretty fair considering we were without our main R/B . L/B . C/H . But it’s midfield and on the wings that gives me more worry , midfield although having good players for me they are too soft , if the game gets a bit rough we dont have the players to roll up the sleeves . Matt o Riley being an example ,the lad is a really classy player but no stomach for a fight as yesterday showed I thought he never turned up . We can’t pick a 3 man midfield with only 1 or 2 wanting to get involved especially against the top teams in our league , for ages we have been crying out for a hard gritty player to help our quality players ,we sure miss Broonie , they are out there if we want to pay a bit more for the type we need . ( i know asking to much ) . Not sure about Kuhn to early to judge this lad ,but have we the wingers who can supply our main strikers or make chances for other team mates I’m not so sure , Abada seems to have chucked it , Palma blows hot and cold add Yang to that as well . We certainly miss jota . Strikers apart from our man from Japan we definitely could improve . For me the jury is out on Idah not to convinced he is what we need but give him a chance , Oh seems the better of the two , but we could get better than him imho , but AGAIN we may have missed one who would have fitted in well . No doubt we are panicking a bit by the other side of the city , but had we got the guys in for the positions identified instead of hoarding cash (which we should be used to ) then I feel the celts would triumph , we may well do but are we good enough to beat them and there MIB sideshow I’m not so sure. HH

Twisty
February 12, 2024 11:47 am

Just reading back:

10.24am. Superb. Thoroughly enjoyed reading that . 👏👏👏

February 12, 2024 1:59 pm

Awe Naw…you’ll like this…

February 12, 2024 2:00 pm

Mahe…serious hat tip for your wordsmithery!! Superb!! 🙏

February 12, 2024 2:03 pm

AWENAW

Was that done for a dare?

AweNaw
February 12, 2024 2:18 pm

McCaff,

Thanks VG made me hungry

That was The Human League

A Thing Of Beauty
February 12, 2024 2:36 pm

Nice poetry there Mahe. 🔥🔥

February 12, 2024 3:20 pm

Bernebei deserves to start on Saturday, Taylor just coming back from injury, but we need to show players when they get a chance and do well,the jersey is theirs,been looking for players to step up all season from the bench,he’s done well IMO, if his passing is a bit erratic, maybe needs to relax a bit.

February 12, 2024 4:06 pm

Bada…Brendan spoke highly of Taylor after game yesterday so I wouldn’t surprised if he came straight back in when he’s ready!

weefra
February 12, 2024 4:30 pm

Good afternoon all. HH

February 12, 2024 6:28 pm

Test

February 12, 2024 6:29 pm

Slow news day?

February 12, 2024 6:40 pm

February 12, 2024 7:00 pm

2 hours left – SENCELPOTY@GMAIL.COM

February 12, 2024 7:28 pm

Not sure who the ref is, but he’s on a fastrack to the top flight after this

February 12, 2024 7:33 pm

MCCAFF

Seems so. Quietest day I can remember on here.

February 12, 2024 7:35 pm

CRAIG76

There I was,idly wondering-as I watched that a few times-WTF the offence was.

Then I got it. Scoring against R2ngers. Obviously we can’t have that kind of thing.

Some finish,btw.

A Thing Of Beauty
February 12, 2024 7:39 pm

Just about to vote in Jobo’s POTY competition. I did watch the full game but the interference on the via play was awful so if I am a bit away from the top three that’s my excuse.
Right, tin hat time. I think we all agree that we need to put the past performances behind us and start from scratch with 13 games to go. The team need us fans on side and singing our hearts out. Would it be too much to ask for the GB and the Jungle bhoys to ditch the almost constant IRA songs for some songs that most of the stadium will sing. I appreciate we have a culture at Celtic park where we let the 2 groups sing and the rest of us rustle our sweetie papers but we all need to step up. I think there is more chance of the songs are more ecumenical shall we say.

February 12, 2024 7:45 pm

ATHINGOFBEAUTY

👏👏👏

February 12, 2024 8:33 pm

Belter of a goal for Palace against Chelski.

February 12, 2024 8:51 pm

Cracking goal too.

February 12, 2024 8:52 pm

Wee question that’s been bugging me for ages. What’s with the holes in socks around the calves these days?

February 12, 2024 9:01 pm

*SENTINEL CELTS PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2023-24*
*RESULTS FROM GAME #34 ST MIRREN 0 CELTIC 2 (KYOGO, MAEDA)*

Good evening, friends.
Sunday saw a change in formation with Brendan surprising many of us with his 4-2-3-1 approach. And with 1 of the 3 being Kyogo Furahashi it was great to see him getting so many touches and being actively involved; and of course opening the scoring in the 15th minute to finish off a great move started with an inch perfect probing pass from Captain McGregor.
Given the state of the pitch, the aerial route was the more likely option for passes reaching their target and so our back 5 again had to face up to loads of pressure but each one of them performed very well and we reached the break a goal to the good.
7 minutes into the 2nd half saw Celtic double our lead when Daizen Maeda managed to keep his shot just under the bar from 6 yards out. If only his crosses into the box could stay lower than 30 feet!
Although I never felt completely relaxed throughout the 2nd half, our 2 goal cushion proved to be enough and we progress to the quarter finals with the reward of a home tie against Livingston
We have now played 34 competitive games, enjoying 22 wins, 5 draws and 7 defeats, scoring 67 goals and conceding 32. We are 3 ties away from winning our 42nd Scottish Cup which would be 9 more than the now defunct Rangers FC managed. And we top the league by 3 points and 2 goals We have 13 league games remaining; still on course for our 54th league title.
My thanks to the 67 who voted this time around. That’s the highest turnout in 2024 (so far, of course) although still only two-thirds of the numbers that joined in when we beat Aberdeen 6-0.
The total votes cast for each player are as follows, with my own nominations asterisked.

Hart*: 57
Kyogo*: 17
Maeda: 3
Bernardo: 0
Yang: 0
Kuhn: 0
Oh: 0

It’s only fair to recognise our most in form player of the month so far. With 2 Man Of The Match awards plus a runner up award in the 3 games we have played, take a bow Charles Joseph John Hart. No, me neither… 😉

And so, the players receiving POINTS for the game against St Mirren are –

8 points – Ralston
6 points – Idah, Iwata and Lagerbielke
5 points – Hatate
4 points – Bain, Bernabei, Holm and Kuhn
3 points – Forrest and Welsh
2 points – Abada
0 points – Frame, Haksabanovic, Kelly, Phillips, Starfelt, Tilio, Vata and Welsh

And so it’s back to league action on Saturday when we entertain Kilmarnock at home, kick off 3.00pm.
Hail Hail!

Margaret McGill
February 12, 2024 9:04 pm

Bobby
Apparently it’s to reduce the risk of cramp.
The tightness of the socks can prove uncomfortable, restrictive, and can reduce blood circulation, leading to problems like cramping

February 12, 2024 9:08 pm

MAGS

Thanks,mate. Makes sense,I suppose. Scotland were trailblazers of course-a raking tackle from behind being a prerequisite for the hammer throwers.

February 12, 2024 9:10 pm

Palace game delayed as ref not wired up, over 5 minutes now 🙄

February 12, 2024 9:10 pm

JOBO

Thanks once again for this. Some of our “better” players continue to score very poorly though and could do with a right good kick up the arse!