And we blink first

The teamsheet told us the new formation would be deployed, I expressed my fears over two in the middle during last Mondays article, but Brendan gave it the nod again.
Fair enough, 4-4-1-1 it is.

45 minutes later and one goal to the good, the whistle blows and the one word that keeps springing to mind was almost.
We were almost there, almost creating a chance, almost looking like finishing off moves, and dare I say it almost looked like a team with a plan.

The word If also kept popping up,,,
If only Palma did something with that possession,
If Maeda could play,
If Idah was sharper,
If that ball to feet wasn’t so fast,
If that cross was better,,
Etc etc.

The plan was plain to see, when in possession get numbers ahead of the ball. Callum looks up and there’s a choice of Matt, Kyogo, and two wingers. When one of them receive the others create options through movement in or around the box, or look for Idah leading the line.
It wasn’t rocket science, I felt we were more fluid going forward than usual, it’s just the final third weren’t doing their bit plus Matt had another stinker.
In the final third we weren’t ruthless, incisive, nor clinical. We muddled, snatched, or dalied.
But going into the break I wasn’t that concerned, we did have a strong bench, and if we only showed more prowess in front of goal we would be fine.
Time for the gaffer to focus the attack, give them some good words of advice.

Half an hour into the second half I’m seriously concerned at how we have emerged, or lack of it. We had switched out the wingers and left back,understandable, but the middle of the park is now getting overrun.
Bernardo was understandable, but only as a replacement for off-form Matt. The Portugese lad is an attacking midfielder, similar to O’Riley, sometimes too similar. Playing them both was never going to shore up midfield, it was an inexplicable decision.

Derek then rubs his hands,,if they are top loaded and only one up, then I’ll top load and hit them quick,,our game plan turned against us to great effect. It wasn’t rocket science either, when I saw Van Veen it was clear they were going to try and snatch something.

Once again, an opposition managers subs and tactics got the better of Brendan, he must shoulder some blame. How much is debatable,,on another day we bury them, when those ‘if onlys’ actually come off. But we can’t look to tomorrow to score goals, we live and fight for this title today,,,and too often we aren’t very good today. Only one goal with all that attack mindedness, woeful.

There’s more blame to go around, Matt is seriously passing me off with his drop-off as we all know he’s much much better than that, Palma would get a manager the sack, as would Bernabei. Kuhn doesn’t yell quality, OH is still too raw, and to finish the witch-hunt Scales and Welsh are no Starfelt and CCV.
I see too many average players, and we all know whose to blame for that, although a scapegoat might have been found.
A proper Director of Football could sort it out, recruit from Barrowfield and other clubs (Miovski instead of Idah would have won that match) of course, but take much more advantage of Bosmans via signing on bonus (Joe Ledley) especially in the Nordics and Baltics. I personally like to think the squad would accept a quality Bosman being the top earner.
Alongside loan to buy, ever more popular these days to many clubs, the plan for betterment is there if sought out.
I do believe a plan is needed, I don’t believe we will witness such intent, the boardroom desire for serious strategy almost as blunt as our attack today.

So I’ll also defend Brendan a bit for fairness sake,,this must be the ‘worst’ bunch of players he’s had in 20 years. From Reading onwards, no squad has been this bereft of quality, no wonder he kept repeating the word.
Sinclair, Odsonne, Dembele, Boyata, Rogic, Tierney, Broony,,,that we’ve downgraded over time is nigh on impossible to deny. I now understand his ‘mantra’.
He still got things wrong on the day though. So did the players, if the plan is outscore them then try every way possible constantly, where’s the long range efforts for goals or rebounds or the catch a keeper off his line chip?
Couldn’t score in game of darts, Kyogo aside. At times like these I long for two big target men and going long, that’s how bad things have become. Intricate footy isn’t cutting it, maybe lumping it would. That’s very sad to type, from Treble winners in style, to please go long. I guess I now pin my hopes on Reo and Big Cam, although they keep the ball out rather than put the ball in, something we can’t do often enough which makes me think those hopes might be misplaced.

I’d ditch that new formation Brendan, go back to 3 in the middle but switch it up, and train the crap out of those wingers during the week. If Mikey Johnson had been Palma today, his name would be trending online. I dare say I would rather have had Mikey not Luis.

Iwata or Holm until Reo returns please, I’d prefer the former personally. Bernardo over Matt please. Kyogo or Idah please.
Kuhn or Forrest or Yang on the right flank please not Maeda. Daizen, Rocco, or Yang on the left flank please.
Bring Reo back gently please, two ten minutes then half an hour before even thinking of starting him.
Maybe play Nawrocki please (I swear that Welsh penalty claim would have been given against us in Europe).

They say when the going gets tough, the tough get going, but our toughs have not got going at all this season, the chances of them pulling off an incredible run of results is slim. The chances of derby day success remains, we seem to have that knack, but it’s the knack of dropping points to the rest will be our undoing, if that comes.

MacInnes just set the template,,if they haven’t scored three or more just go for the jugular, they get nervy and wide open later on. Now they all know, things get a little harder.

Here’s a prediction, barriers erected around Celtic Park by the second week of April.

By Mahe
sentinelcelts@gmail.com

Mahea
February 18, 2024 8:09 pm

The Sentinel Celts Charity Drive has nominated Blood Cancer UK as the recipient for funds for the next six months to 31/07/2024,and we are getting close to achieving our FIRST TARGET.

We have set up a GoFundMe page for those who have some spare cash to donate,even from a lucky windfall or finding a tenner in the street.

Click on the link for more details,including how to donate.

Please give generously to a very deserving cause,that FIRST TARGET is in sight!

BelmontBrian63
February 18, 2024 8:11 pm

Evening all.

It has not been comfortable viewing this season, for me, mainly frustration, no consistency.

HOWEVER.

It’s mid February, I’m not giving up or giving in, are you?

Óglach
February 18, 2024 8:31 pm

We blinked 1st weeks ago and are now blinking so much people think we are suffering from blepharospasm.

SFTB
February 18, 2024 8:51 pm

Superbru Round 26 update

In a week of depressing scores, the Superbru punters also barely rose to the occasion with only two reaching double digit points. Our winner went from Top weekly score a few weeks back to wooden spoon last week and Yellow Cap this week. Our top 3 are:

1. Bada Bing- 10.5 pts
2. Tirconnell- 10 pts
3 = hairlikespaghetti, jmccormick and a thing of beauty- 9 pts

In a week of all round poor marksmanship, those who excelled like Sebo were

1. Aipple- 1 point
2= Scaniel & Chalmersbhoy- 1.5 pts
3= BMCUWP, Auldheid, sammybhoy 6, McKenna_88, & that eejit SFTB- 2.5 pts

This leaves the overall picture as

Leggy- 169.5
BC Milan- 165.5
Billy Bhoy- 165

Our wooden spoon contenders remain as:-

Friesdorfer- 81 pts
Chalmersbhoy- 92 pts
Cosy Corner Bhoy- 94 pts

Our next deadline is Saturday 25th at 3 pm with 5 fixtures including the Cousins visiting the Sons, while we go to Motherwell on Sunday. I hope to be in a better mood by then.

Mahea
February 18, 2024 8:53 pm

Thanks for your effort SFTB.

I note Abadas agent due in to get him out, MLS rumoured. From a 15m rated player to an almost Bosman,,,file that under scandal.

February 18, 2024 9:09 pm

*SENTINEL CELTS PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2023-24*
*RESULTS FROM GAME #35 CELTIC 1 KILMARNOCK 1 (KYOGO)*

Good evening, friends.
I’ve mentioned a few times over the season that this is just a wee pastime and that everyone is free to join in, drop out, vote now and again, whenever they like. At full time yesterday I could have seen the competition far enough and decided that I wasn’t going to issue a single reminder for folk to vote. I went to bed last night having only received 9 emails. But things picked up a bit in the cold light of day although it still beat all previous ‘lowest poll ever’ records. However, somebody has got to be awarded the points and the MOTM awards so let’s ignore any match report and move on to the stats…
We have now played 35 competitive games, enjoying 23 wins, 5 draws and 7 defeats, scoring 68 goals and conceding 33. We trail in the league by 2 points and the team at the top have a 3 better goal difference. We have 12 league games remaining but a real fight to try to secure our 54th league title.
My thanks to the 32 who voted this time around (2 folk only nominated a single player). The total votes cast for each player are as follows, with my own nominations asterisked.

Hart*: 26

8 points – Idah
6 points – Iwata and Lagerbielke
5 points – Hatate
4 points – Bain, Bernabei, Holm and Kuhn
3 points – Forrest and Welsh
2 points – Abada
0 points – Frame, Haksabanovic, Kelly, Phillips, Starfelt, Tilio, Vata and Welsh

Our next game is in the league next Sunday with a noon kick off, away to Motherwell. There’s every chance that we will kick off 5 points adrift.
Hail Hail!

February 18, 2024 9:27 pm

FAN

“I posted this last week on here which was ignored.
Bayern’s Thomas Muller, said: “What we’re missing is the guts and some freedom to play.

“Leverkusen were taking risks, looking for solutions and playing football.

“We’re playing from A to B, B to C, and nobody plays freely or takes risks.”
Does this make you think as it’s all to familiar!“
***

Not ignored,mate. But dumbo here missed the significance of your point.

February 18, 2024 9:33 pm

For shits and giggles let’s look ahead.

Brendan goes in the summer. Does this group show up for the next man, telling us they forced Brendan out?
Or does he see the lack of desire, and join to move on rapidly?
Is that our lot now, puppet or shake and move?
Looks that way.

Let’s assume we blow the league, new guy is faced with the most difficult games of the season in the qualifiers right off the bat. Matt, Bernardo, Idah, Reo, Abada, are gone and replaced with prospects.
Callums shattered after the Euros, there’s a new keeper, Lagers gone, James Forrest goes also, Mikey comes back.
Stoke don’t want Haksa, he returns. Big Joe’s influence is gone. Bernabei says I’m staying for the moolah.
Then the boos that ring out dent the group even further.

Then let’s throw in ‘whomever’ is buying the players. As much as I don’t want Young Lawell there for appearances sake at a minimum, was his remit 2-4 million players under 24? If so, he’s been stitched up for thats a notoriously hit and miss criteria. The next guy will fave the same problem, get the same blame, not the guys dictating the criteria as would be correct. Two employees serving as deflector shields.

Then we reach our Captain. More and more is being asked of an already overplayed player, one of the most used in world football who couldn’t say no to the armband but isn’t a natural leader. He will take flak, he will have too much responsibility placed on his shoulders. No break in the summer, no break from club pressure,,,the Bionic man himself would struggle.
When he does, the team does, a bit of a vicious circle.
Especially when you consider if new guy walks on and drops the Captain he might lose the dressing room immediately.

The new CL package will be one of the highest in the competition, ST prices will go up due to greedflation, stadiums getting older while product gets weaker and across the city they lord it with better buys. Better refs in Europe. We struggle the next level down, the level they’ve just negotiated.
Frustration builds and the house divided sees more strife.
That would kill me.

As would a new man getting supported by wise buys and budget, as that would tell me it was a hatchet job on Brendan.

Caught in a trap, swiftly going upwards says personal sabotage from within, standing still or going backwards yells ineptitude and megalomania.

And the support hate dynasties.

And once we pass 100 million in the bank the excuses are seen to be simply that, excuses.

These are very interesting times.
If I didn’t know better, I’d say the next few years are critical as far as CFC goes.

February 18, 2024 9:47 pm

Jobo thanks for the effort.

I’d like to copy and paste your equivalent results from this time last year for reference sake,,,I did previously mention I find this great information.

*SENTINEL CELTS PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2022-23*
RESULTS FROM GAME #36 – CELTIC 5 ST MIRREN 1(MAEDA, HATATE (2, 1 pen), OH, O’RILEY)

Good evening, friends.
In the end it was another convincing win. St Mirren played very well for 75 minutes but without troubling Joe Hart at all. But the correct decision to award the penalty and the red card was the trigger for a really scintillating last 20 minutes. And with our 4 second half goals all coming from our substitutes there was further evidence that it really is a 16-man game now.
The best goal was saved till last with Reo and Liel performing one of the longest one-two’s that I can remember. Watch Reo pointing for the return about 2 seconds after he made his pass.
Domestically we have now played 30, winning 28, drawing 1 and losing 1, scoring 98 and conceding 20.
Thanks very much to the 58 who emailed me with their 3 nominations. The total votes cast for each player with my own choices asterisked are as follows –
Hart: 0

9 points – Bernabei and Welsh
8 points – Forrest
7 points – Hart
5 points – Turnbull
4 points – Kobayashi
0 points – Abildgaard, Iwata, Lawal, McCarthy, Oh, Siegrist and Vata

Our next game is in just 6 sleeps time; a Saturday 3.00pm home league game when we entertain Aberdeen. At the same kick off time our closest rivals travel to Livingston. Potentially an exciting wee afternoon.
Hail Hail!

February 18, 2024 9:58 pm

Folks, note the major differences between this year and last, going by the POTY chart.

This time last year Hart had 7 points, 12 months later he’s the 5th highest ranked with 32.
That tells me we give him too many chances to shine.

Why? Middle of the park of course,,this time last year Reo lead the pack, due to his being an outball for the midfield or defense, as was the other midfielder in the top 5.
This year both have been absent. Huge reason for Joe’s stats.

This time last year a winger sat third, now one sits 6th. The flanks aren’t as strong this year those results tell us.

This time last year Taylor and Bernabei had 52 points, now they have 22 between them. This tells me they are much better going forward, suited Angeball more.

There’s more lessons in there, but like I say I like to study the table. Thanks again Jobo and all involved.

February 18, 2024 10:18 pm

Sorry to on about this but,,,this time last year we had scored 98 conceding 20, now it’s 68/33.
There’s your answer in a nutshell.
We outscored them, and could.

Angeball needed continuing. It’s what that team was made for.
And Reo and Aaron beside Calmac worked, Matt and Bernardo isn’t anywhere near as effective.

Margaret McGill
February 18, 2024 10:23 pm

There is not a single thing happening here that our custodians didn’t wish for.

February 18, 2024 10:34 pm

Mags,
“There is not a single thing happening here that our custodians didn’t wish for.”
Be careful what you wish for,,,,,
Even cynical you must see a fork in the road.
We can make money.
Or we can make a team.
The bank account has become an albatross around the boards neck, it shows they and the support up, and D-day is coming when there’s 9 figures in the bank and a crap left back on the field.
That’s when the rubber meets the road, there will be protesters soon and barriers only antagonize.
There’s even supporter meetings soon, events are coming to a head.

Margaret McGill
February 18, 2024 10:43 pm

It’s got nothing to do with the bank balance . It’s the source of the balance that’s the issue. Bigot buck income. How to cream bonus off your financial portfolio with a few manipulations while keeping the shareholders too scared to jump. Keep the Old Firm or you’re going to have to divest. So you might fuck over a people a history and a culture? No problem. Such betrayals are the main ingredients of history.

Call me Gerry
February 18, 2024 10:43 pm

Jobo

Humble apologies for forgetting to send my pics this weekend. I do try to engage, even after a poor display, as I appreciate your efforts.
After watching the depressing game on Saturday, I was consciously trying to not dwell on all things Celtic. It was so disheartening. I did try to think of a top 3 immediately after the game, but only Hart appeared deserving of a vote. Maybe Kyogo for the goal? Maybe Ralston for the assist? Really clutching at straws to pick 3, so I put it off.
Then I tried not think about our current state of affairs, as it was depressing. Successfully as it happens, as I totally forgot to send any votes to you.

Keep up the good work. It IS very much appreciated.

Call me Gerry
February 18, 2024 10:48 pm

SFTB

Thanks again for your efforts in keeping us updated on Superbru 👏👏

February 18, 2024 10:53 pm

Mags, so Dermots issue is that he is too smart to not know whats happening, and too greedy to turn down a bigot buck?
Sad state of affairs on a Sunday of all days.

Nah seriously though, you don’t feel things coming to a head? We are rich and shambling equally.
I feel the support ain’t going for dynasties and want change,,,their kind is almost made up.

February 18, 2024 10:54 pm

Here’s a bit of innocent fun and tales of days gone by

Margaret McGill
February 18, 2024 10:58 pm

ST at the end of the season is all that matters
I can’t wait to read the bullshit Tims are going to gobble up this season

February 18, 2024 11:13 pm

Mags, during the Ronnie’s years the STs were sold out yet the support forced the club to cover stands and embarrassed them into change.
STs alone shown up.
Thing is, they played the Irish card then, hard to turn on your family.
We’ve seen through that, this Irishman hates the Irish card been played, and will point it out.

Margaret McGill
February 18, 2024 11:28 pm

I don’t think they give a fuck if you’re Irish Scottish Tory Zionist Hindu or Japanese they just want your money.

Bawheid
February 18, 2024 11:28 pm

” I just want all the support having opportunity to sing the same song, not just small shareholders.”

At the end of last year the Celtic Star wrote about the numbers of the Celtic Supporters Clubs.

The Association of Irish Celtic supporters (AICS) – 36 in the north and 68 in the south.
237 Celtic supporters clubs in Scotland.
81 Celtic supporters clubs in England.
2 Celtic supporters clubs in Wales.
Thank you Willie Fanning.

All the Irish CSCs have email addresses, I’m certain that the rest will also have email addresses as well.
Perhaps a trial run of letters to a small percentage first, including your second details of season ticket holders, then you could judge whether the response was good enough to continue and expand your contact base.

I read the Tracy Crouch Review Recommendations, that was a hard read, but was an excellent review into grassroots football, with many thousands of fan led involvement,very informative and a terrific insight into what football brings to the table in so many different ways, communities etc.a real eye opener. I read it till I went blind, this post is brought to you by courtesy of braille.

Margaret McGill
February 18, 2024 11:30 pm

You’ll see

Margaret McGill
February 18, 2024 11:39 pm

Here is the problem of the 21st Century in a microcosm right here!
You are presented with evidence that can only possibly logically lead to one conclusion yet you believe in alternative facts because you have faith

The Star Above The Crest
February 19, 2024 12:11 am

The people who run Celtic are not Celtic fans.
The people who run Celtic are fans of taking the actual fans money to keep for themselves.
The easiest way to guarantee the fans hand over their money is through the Old Firm Derby.
The people who run Celtic don’t care about sporting excellence.
The people who run Celtic don’t care about you, your opinion or what you think.
They only want your money.

Magua
February 19, 2024 1:09 am

The Star Above The Crest

Unfortunately, it’s even worse than that. Those in the PLC, are out and out Huns. They will sabotage Celtic FC at every turn, in order to help out their Masonic criminal associates running the criminal enterprise on Edmiston Drive.

Shame on them.

The Star Above The Crest
February 19, 2024 1:28 am

Magua

Sadly, I think you might be correct. They’re despicable.

Magua
February 19, 2024 1:39 am

The Star Above The Crest

Despicable? A perfect discussion of Blue Peter et al.

Hail Hail.

Magua
February 19, 2024 1:46 am

Description obviously. Doh!!

Celger
February 19, 2024 1:46 am

BR in his post match interview couldn’t decide to throw the players or himself under the bus so eventually opted to do both. He needs Celtic success for his own career (I know he has lots of money) and reputation. We’ll now see what he is made of. Personally I think Calmac and MOR are exhausted and need rested. Holm looked good against Buckie (I know I know) but why not give him a chance? Also Iwata can play midfield and defend, time to freshen it up.

Magua
February 19, 2024 1:53 am

Celger

Some sort of change is required. That’s for sure. A wee bit of steel in midfield would certainly help.

Hail Hail.

Celger
February 19, 2024 2:09 am

Magua, certainly Holm and Iwata have steel. I’ve not given up on Calmac and MOR just think they should be o the bench for couple of games

Magua
February 19, 2024 2:14 am

Celger

I think that Calmac in particular, is running on fumes. Too many games over the years.

February 19, 2024 6:31 am

Those who control Celtic will be delighted people think this is all about money …
It has absolutely nothing to do with money ..zero!
It is, and has always been, about the preferred outcome.
For the umpteenth time – Both clubs play a far bigger part than just football and sport …much bigger!
Look past what seems obvious and ask yourself, why is there a team called RANGERS at the top of the Scottish league system?
In the real world that club no longer exists!
You have to look past money for the real reason they weren’t allowed to die.
If you can be honest with yourself about why the club didn’t ram home it’s obvious advantages ..
You will get much closer to the actual truth.
Preferred outcome – Sevco need any more penalties!?

Jimtim
February 19, 2024 8:07 am

Whoever is in the managers chair start of new season has a hell of a job TRYING to get rid of the multitude of surplus to requirement players on the books .same as last season and start of the season before that , and thats before we start to think of who we bring in . I have my thoughts on who is to blame here . I think lawwell and Rodgers are playing against each other to the detriment of the club . Both should go and pistol pete should take junior with him , meanwhile our absent landlord is more concerned with lowering his golf handicap. If only there was a way to get rid of him , the chancer . They have been given a lifeline by our penny pinching ,next step will be there boot on out throats .

February 19, 2024 8:39 am

Jimtim,

Why on earth would Brendan accept those kind of working conditions for ONE day, never mind a whole season?
The manager knows he is being undermined from within but is choosing to stay? C’mon.
You have to look beyond the individuals involved.
Ask why the club has been allowed to get to this point in spite of the massive advantage we hold.

Fan
February 19, 2024 9:21 am

BAD
Looks like your instincts on this season in our recent conversation are spot on.
There are so many inexplicable decisions made at Celtic plc.
Chaos theory in full effect.
No one is without blame.

February 19, 2024 9:40 am

Fan,

A team that don’t exist are leading the Scottish league.
The history books will and do tell you it’s Rangers.
Our club has been telling us It’s Rangers for over a decade now!
Our club! Brazenly lying to us!! Ask yourself why.
As long as people keep thinking it’s money or some dick swinging contest, we will never arrive at the truth.
You have to see the role both clubs play in the bigger picture.
That’s where the real truth lies.

Auldbhoy67
February 19, 2024 9:52 am

For a while I was convinced Desmond wanted to sell the club but when Lawwell left we started to show signs of moving forward at a greater rate. Everyone seen the changes on the playing side with Ange in place after the disaster that was the 10 season. Something serious changed behind the eyes and knowledge of the ordinary support in that period. Was Desmond concerned that the balance sheet would collapse and the club would become unattractive. Who knows. The decision to bring in the fat chairman again baffled many. The decision to bring back Rodgers even more so knowing fat man’s dislike for him. People continually go on about Ange this that etc etc. For 18 months HE WAS LAWWELL FREE. 3months after he came back and since that point we have declined. The majority of our stars have departed. Others teams have improved their squads. We haven’t. It’s totally baffles me why this is happening. If you want to make a business attractive you improve every aspect and our main advertising way is success on the park. We can’t even field a team at present to make the support want to go on a wet night in February so what is seriously going on. Many guys I know who have been ST holders for 50 years are now missing games and talking about giving up going. Why pay ridiculous prices when I can watch at home on TV they say. Something off the field needs dealt with and soon or once again the top tier will become closed.
I still believe Desmond will sell in the future. Its a matter of to whom and when. My dilemma is why go about it in a manner like this. Money in the bank but don’t improve the product. Makes no sense imo.

Madmitch
February 19, 2024 9:58 am

Difficult conversations all round — our failures are everywhere at the moment.
Chat last night had the “ballboys” regressing to old school norms.
Nieces and nephews of the inner circle — birthday present vibe.
Another part of AP’s professionalism bites the dust.

Big picture — BR has been sold a pup / set up to fail.
OF PLC — two birds with the one stone.
Govan title delivered and BR trashed.
Dancing in the driveways of G74.

Current situation — the plooky youth that make up our squad are in panic mode.
Very limited experience plus no on-field leadership — CMcG is trying his best but there is little backbone in the team.
BR has struggled to engage with AP’s squad and the projects came with L plates attached.
It would appear that their is little connection between the squad and the manager.

AP offered certainty and an all action style.
BR pushes self improvement and incremental gains / lower margins.
The squad is confused and know that all is not well at the club.
Support from the stands is either non existent or self indulgent.

Not sure how we steady the ship.
Some luck would help as would a couple of worldies.
My thoughts — BR has to start picking a team that works.
A team with a functioning MF and an ability to defend / break up play / put in some tackles.

No matter how bad we are — they are still as rough as a badger’s erse.
Plus their Euro games will help us — either burst their bubble or make them lose focus.
BR desperately needs to get his youth team head on and start making it simple to our plooky squad.
We are thinking to much when we have the ball — need to bring instinct back into our game.

We are in a bad place — club is in terminal decline as the baby boomers start to lose their engagement.
Wee FMcC found a willing audience with money to spend in the mid 90’s — the same focus is missing now.
PL is living in a world of 20 years ago where things could go up and down on a regular basis.
Failure this season when the half hearted efforts of the board can be seen from space will be unforgiveable.

My thoughts — we have been honking all season.
Five good performances off the top of my head.
We still have a chance but the league is theirs to lose now.
1980 / 1987 / 2005 / 2009 / 2011 / 2021 — the nightmares come flooding back.

Parting thought — current Aus NT manager?

ernie lynch
February 19, 2024 10:05 am

It’s about money, and it’s about pride, and it’s about a lack of vision. But mostly it’s about money.

TGD is not, and never has been, a Celtic fan. He doesn’t understand the club or it’s fans. That’s why he is so dependent on Peter Lawwell.

He acquired his stake in Celtic for two reasons: firstly the possibility of making a huge capital gain by getting the club into the EPL and secondly to boost his standing among his peers.

Rightly or wrongly he’s decided that the chances of getting into the EPL (or some other venue bigger and better than the SPL) is greatly enhanced as part of The Old Firm than as an isolated entity. The threat of the huns going out of existence jeopardized
the entire plan, so the priority now is to ensure the survival and continuity of a viable Old Firm. That’s not motivated by any affection or concern for the huns. It’s purely because it serves his purpose.

Having hitched his horse to that wagon he’s too proud, or stubborn, or unimaginative to consider whether his original game plan is still, or ever was, appropriate.

And for so long as enough Celtic fans renew their season books, season after season, like some form of religious observance, he’s pretty much unassailable.

Madmitch
February 19, 2024 10:14 am

AB67 @ 9.52

The Irish Raj aka DD sees us as an arbitrage play — buy at SPL values / sell at EPL values.
He has absolutely no engagement with the club / its history / its support.

Everything he does is a calculated snub towards club and the support.
Irish managers / LoI punts / non appearance at the AGM — he couldn’t make it any clearer if he put it on the side of a bus.

PL is just his placeman / factor — keep the show on the road and make sure he never has to put his hand in his pocket ever again.
His “hatred” of the support went up a few notches in 2004/2005 when the MON regime went belly up and he was stung for a good few mill — never again was his motto from then on in.

Money in the bank — wiggle room in the finances / winds up the support / rainy day fund.

AP removed the blinkers from a lot of people in the support.
That is the dimension they have not taken onboard — pit pony syndrome.
We have seen the light so if darkness is all you can offer then you are in trouble.

February 19, 2024 10:20 am

Ernie,

If you are so determined to believe this is only about money, that’s cool.

But ..

All I will say is, the people in charge will be delighted you think this is about money.
And if it’s about money for those running our club, wouldn’t it make more sense to make sure WE win the league?
Isn’t there much more money to be made by winning the league this season??
Hmmm!

JimDom
February 19, 2024 10:39 am

As Oglach rightly says, we blinked a very long time ago, could go back as far as the pre-season in fact. This team/squad has never clicked into gear. Beale’s ineptitude lulled us into a false sense of competence.

No point in being just a little pessimistic, may as well go the whole hogg. Hearts are 11 points behind, will they catch us ? Given our downward trajectory, it’s possible.

Brendan used to be renowned for his in-game management . So, with Celtic’s second half malaise in full swing he subs Taylor for Bernabei, small for even smaller. If Taylor was only going to manage 60 minutes, and Killie going long and high, many of us would have opted for Nawrocki on and Scales moved to left back, giving the back four maximum height. But not so our elite manager. McInnes must have looked over at Brendan and wondered what happened to Brendan. We are all left wondering.

The majority of our squad are playing to their potential, what we are witnessing is their level. The remaining fixtures will be no different. Buy cheap buy twice, or in the PLC’s case, four times. Our model dictates that stockpiling rubbish footballers is the only way. Our happy and glorious model, long to reign over us.

Desmond, The Charlatan, Nicholson, et al, will say that healthy competition is the essence of sport, and continue on their merry way. All applicable KPI’s have been met for the season, bonuses set in stone.

The Interim Results, for the six months to 31/12/23, should be released this week, according to JP Taylor. The PLC just waiting for a suitable day to bury good news. The ultimate irony you could say.

Madmitch
February 19, 2024 10:39 am

Future of the club — Growth agenda would be one plan to follow.
That needs vision / energy / ability / talent plus a huge amount of hard work.

OF PLC — all that needs is a credible team in Govan to aid our board.
Just play the same old riffs / greatest hits stuff with no new material — National Bigotry Week 4 times a season at least.

If you were a second rate property bean counter with no commercial ability — what scenario would suit you?
Plus it keeps your boss onside as it helps facilitate his dream of a move to the EPL — seen as a double act down south.

Money — nothing to do with current T/O all about the value of DD’s 33%’ish stake in the club.
Everything to do with the transformation in asset values that will come about with a move to the EPL or something similar.

History lesson:
Early 80’s / mid 80’s — crowds on the slide — just give the away team more tickets.
OF PLC in action — we were given tickets for 30% of their ground.
They couldn’t be bothered to turn up — JG the wilderness years — so we filled the gaps.

Madmitch
February 19, 2024 10:51 am

JD @ 10.39

These are not rubbish footballers — it is just a flood of the undercooked / immature / players with potential but no experience.
Questions can be asked about valuations and agent friendly deals but they do have talent / potential / ability.

Too many all at the one time into a squad with a new manager carrying some baggage and a lack of leadership / resilience.
Add in a few strategic injuries / a captain who is struggling / previous manager’s pet players in a huff.

Perfect storm — the only issue for me is that it took the SPL 18 games to work it out.

Madmitch
February 19, 2024 11:11 am

What are our squad performance standards at the moment — laughing and joking for some / staring at your boots for others?

ernie lynch
February 19, 2024 11:15 am

It’s called delayed gratification,. ‘The ability to delay an impulse for an immediate reward to receive a more favorable reward at a later time.’ Widely regarded as a marker for predicting financial success among individuals.

But I think that’s where the stubbornness/pride element I mentioned comes into play. Sticking with the original plan when it’s no longer appropriate because changing would look like weakness or an admission they’d got it wrong in the first place.

February 19, 2024 11:51 am

Ernie,

So allowing our biggest rivals the chance to gain the riches involved ..lord it over us as champions ..and possibly become Scotland’s dominant force makes sense as we will gain a later reward?

I’m afraid that makes zero sense.

But like I said ..if you want to believe it, that’s cool.

ernie lynch
February 19, 2024 12:12 pm

If the alternative is the huns going bust with all that means for your long term plan then yes, it makes sense. Particularly if you are arrogant enough to think you have it in your gift to reverse any change in fortunes.

It helps of course if you’re not a fan, have no emotional connection to the club or its supporters and are so removed economically and geographically from the scene of the action.