Oi,Mate. Wanna Ticket?

The kick-off times and ticket allocations for the semi finals next month were announced yesterday. For a change we were allocated the Saturday lunchtime start,which is something of a stranger to us as the SFA like their playing surface to resemble a ploughed field before we get anywhere near it.

The reason for our earlier kick-off is that R2ngers were still potentially facing a Europa League quarter final at the time of the announcement. The SFA must be really kicking themselves over the timing of this one. Had they waited 24 hours,they could have given their (first and second) favourites the primetime Saturday lunchtime start. Of course,they couldn’t take that risk as most of the suits at Ibrox (and Hampden) were already booked to attend the quarter final draw in person. Shame,really. Still,that’s life.

Yes,the wheels very much came off their fabled bus to Dublin last night. How they had been so looking forward to a new campaign of pillage and wanton destruction in the old happy hunting grounds of their past. Some were so confident of getting to the final that they had already booked non-refundable rooms and airfares for the occasion. All the sweeter for discovering that the non-refundable part had a disclaimer for the dates they had booked! Always read the small print. Meanwhile,I’ll blame the schools.

Anyway,they can concentrate on domestic issues,as must we. And one issue which was noticeable in yesterday’s SFA announcement was the ticketing split per club. The Hearts v R2ngers split is 50-50 at 21,000 per club. The Ibrox club think they deserve more of course,but Hearts are far and away the best supported club outside of Glasgow. I expect them to fulfil their allocation without too much of a problem. The big selling point being a booze-fuelled Sunday evening sash bash,the perfect family atmosphere.

I don’t have too much of a problem with the split for our match either. 23,000 for us and 19,000 for Aberdeen. Aberdeen will probably kick up about missing out on those 2,000 while we will point out that our allocation is barely a third of our home capacity. Personally I think the Dons will struggle to sell quite that many,but they should get close enough to it. Our fans,meanwhile,will face the usual spring lucky dip. And if your face doesn’t fit,you probably won’t even be in the draw anyway.

But the main thing I noticed when I read about the allocations wasn’t so much the splits as the numbers themselves. Hampden doesn’t hold the numbers it did when we were kids. I was at the Dixie cup final with Hibs in 72. 106,000. Two years earlier,my Dad wasn’t allowed to take me to the Leeds match. 137,000. Ten years before that,he was at the European Cup Final,a record attendance for that occasion of 124,000. The Coronation Cup Final was 117,000. Aye,he was at that too as well as the 7-1 game. So were quite a lot of people,as you can see just from those few games.

The capacity nowadays is 51,866. Well short of the halcyon days but also well above the number of tickets allocated to the clubs. About 25%,in fact. That’s an awful lot of freebies and debentures to be handed out,innit? Some will go to sponsors,some to various clubs and associations. Which is only right,even though the actual amount might be questionable. In fact,nearly 20,000 tickets being taken away from the fans of those four teams isn’t only questionable-it’s absolutely disgraceful. And you can bet that another 10,000 will be removed from the club allocations for the final too.

30,000 tickets that the paying customer won’t get near. 30,000 tickets going to suits and others on the greasy pole. How about half that many,and when your name gets drawn out it doesn’t go back in for the other games? How about considering the thousands braving the elements of a January downpour to watch Celtic play Buckie Thistle? Or travel to Dumbarton to see R2ngers? Worse-you might have drawn the short straw and be a Hearts fan. A dayoooot in Airdrie. In February. And you can’t get the fruits of your devotion,a ticket for Hampden,because of all the kickbacks?

Give the SFA their dues though. At least they state publicly how many tickets are being allocated to the clubs. And we are getting 23,000. But how many of those will be available in the public ballot? For yet again there are deductions to be made for the suits and sponsors. The players and other employees. As far as I am aware,these figures are not publicly declared by our club. I think they should be,because I would love to hear their reasons for holding back so many. Yes,we have lots of sponsors. Yes,we have lots of employees. As has been discussed often,we certainly have lots of players! Erm,we might allocate one or two to the suits you mention,and maybe some favoured idiots/guests (delete as applicable.) And here are our “justifications.” Etc.

You will rarely hear mention of how many tickets we deprive the real paying turn up every week fan,the fully paid up member of the HCTS,because of the number of tickets the club withholds from public ballot in order to market them on the hospitality circuit at £200 or so a whip,including a pie and a pint. Or how much money the club creams in from these ventures each year. But we should. And we should be kicking up about it much more than we might about the SFA allocations. For this is just another example of how the Plc values a buck more than it values the fans. Like any of us are surprised anymore.

March 15, 2024 12:37 am

The Sentinel Celts Charity Drive has nominated Blood Cancer UK as the recipient for funds for the next six months to 31/07/2024,and we are getting close to achieving our SECOND TARGET.

We have set up a GoFundMe page for those who have some spare cash to donate,even from a lucky windfall or finding a tenner in the street.

Click on the link for more details,including how to donate.

Please give generously to a very deserving cause. Although our first target has now been achieved-and many thanks for your generosity!-we can always hope to do more.

March 15, 2024 12:37 am
March 15, 2024 12:38 am

JOBO POTY competition

sencelpoty@gmail.com

March 15, 2024 6:33 am

John Hartson and 🍀 Celtic’s First League Title book 📗 follow
Anthony Joseph
@AnthonyRJoseph
The Honduran FA have said Celtic winger Luis Palma could be out for around a month due to a calf tear in his right leg.
Motherwell v Celtic
From
Sky Sports Scotland
11:25 pm · 14 Mar 2024
18K
Views

Óglach
March 15, 2024 7:27 am

SUNDAY 15TH

Frank has now joined me on the hunger-strike. I saw the boys at Mass today which I enjoyed. Fr Toner said Mass.

Again it was a pretty boring day. I had a bit of trouble to get slopped out tonight and to get water.

I have a visit tomorrow and it will be good to see my family. I am also looking forward to the walk in the fresh air, it will tire me out, but I hope the weather is good. I must go.

March 15, 2024 7:43 am

Good morning friends and a Big Happy Friday to all who post or lurk on this fine site.
I started my own personal boycott of Celtic domestic cup games a few years ago so I’m never directly affected by allocation splits. But good points well made, Bobby.

Auldbhoy67
March 15, 2024 8:26 am

BMCWP
Some huge attendances there Bobby and as seen by them it was easy to get access by just queuing up. Unfortunately major incidents including riots etc started to limit the capacities of grounds and now we are where we are today. What really pisses me off about allocations for away and cup games is the fact that the same people get the tickets or the chance of them. Clubs cut allocations due to bad behaviour etc of away support. One club we know due to being wee boys crying because the big bhoys keep winning but the people responsible for the allocations being cut still manage tickets. Its crazy to watch the game on TV and witness thousands of empty seats but that’s the choice of the club .It’s a shame really as these smaller clubs rely on the two big clubs to survive at times. I know if Livi go down this season and don’t come straight back up they will fold . The last away game I managed a ticket for was Killie when Broonie scored . Last Cup game at Hampden was last season and just gave up completely on European away after Valencia.
In 1980 I work in Brazil. One trip we were held over so visited the Maracanna. At that time 210000 was capacity but was cut and cut over the years. It was empty when we visited but immense. Hard to picture it full of crazy football mad South Americans .
Ahhh the memories…

March 15, 2024 8:47 am

Chelsea are paying Brentford £1 million,…..for their set piece coach…

JimDom
March 15, 2024 9:01 am

Celtic vs Aberdeen SC semi final, tickets.

You can join the dots on how this will pan out, Bobby.

The Dons fans are even more scunnered than we are at present. They will not sell their 19k allococation, probably not even 10k. The match is live on BBC shortbread, a lunch time kick off.

There will be thousands of empty seats in the Aberdeen sections, but the pathetic and incompetent SFA will not put these unsold tickets on open sale, or hand over to Celtic, due to “segregation issues”.

Our spineless suits will meekly accept any decision that the SFA make on the grounds of “health, safety, and policing”. Those same spineless suits are also guaranteed the best seats in the house. FOC of course.

Óglach
March 15, 2024 9:28 am

Appears Adidas and Celtic’s new ‘fleece the fans’ Oirish collection isn’t selling as well as expected despite a big sales campaign. Too many kits, poor design, support apathy, support no longer willing to spend more money on more cheaply produced crap🤔, and on top of this they can’t even get the colours of the Irish flag correct in their sales pitch🤬🤬🤬

“The pinstripes, ribbing, and adidas three-stripes detailing are in white, with a gold-lined finish, to complete the green, white, and gold of the Irish tricolour.”😮

Note to Celtic : There is no gold in the Irish tricolour – plastic paddies indeed.

As Irish as King Charles’ left testicle CFC

Bigrailroadblues
March 15, 2024 9:52 am

Good morning all from Govanhill.

madmitch
March 15, 2024 10:04 am

Us vs Cup games at Hampden — what you have at the moment is rationing.
The economic value of the ticket — at the moment — is a lot higher than the selling price.

Therefore you have to great creative with the allocation of tickets.
Ticket schemes are one way / I’m sure there are others but they all will be some form of rationing.

Value of a SC SF ticket — its value to us this season is lower than it was last season.
Not playing our friends in Govan will have a negative effect but our current poor form will also reduce its market value.

AP created a buzz / he delivered some excitement / he sold out league games against relegation candidates.
That is missing in spades this season and the demand for tickets will reflect that.

Double dunt this season — no Govan team at this stage / supporter engagement going south.
Which might be reflected in the sales of our new heritage strip range — you have to work hard to deliver a growth agenda.

The 70’s and early 80’s showed how things can change.
Football attendance stopped becoming universal and the crowds changed for the worse.

The stories of our games in Govan tell a precautionary tale about OF PLC.
When our friends of that parish could not sell tickets to their own — what did they do to balance the books?
They sold the tickets to us and we lapped them up — probably paid DC’s wages all on our own after one visit.
Is this what is holding us back — TFOD2.1 live in too many heads rent free?
And that includes the Brains Trust that is our exec level.

At times it is about them and only them.
Euro chat would seem to back this up regarding the thoughts of far too many.
Bronski chat / the SPL is what is important — until they start doing well in Europe.
Then there is a lot clamour to match their efforts.
Rinse and repeat far too many times.

I fear big change is coming — the baby boomers are losing their faith in record numbers.
You can fool a support once maybe even twice but this season is rubbing our noses in it.
The speed with which AP changed things has a downside — what goes up will come down twice as fast.

We are on a downward slope at the moment.

March 15, 2024 10:49 am

MM

I doubt you need to feign a limp when you’ve had both legs amputated. Up to you,but there is an edit facility available to you.

Fan
March 15, 2024 11:21 am

MM

Commentators on Hun games are generally trained on telling you their opinion rather than what is actually unfolding before your eyes.
It’s like some kind of psyche operation!
Numerous times last night the actual events contradicted the commentary.
It’s like a continuation of operation Save the Huns where liquidation didn’t happen even though by the letter of the law it did.
Another reason why all media personnel are chosen from the same gene pool.!!!

SteveNaive
March 15, 2024 11:50 am

Bobby,

My father, mother and various in laws at that Leeds game.
My aunty Norah, at her first ever Celtic game.
Took a wee snack for half time.
A banana !
It didn’t stand a chance .

March 15, 2024 11:51 am

MM

I’ll give you until 1230 to edit both posts entirely. Here’s how to do it. Click on edit,and remove every word.

March 15, 2024 11:54 am

STEVENAIVE

A coconut wouldn’t have stood much chance in a crowd that size. Difficulty envisaging it,really.

March 15, 2024 12:36 pm

MM

Yellow card,and you can’t say I didn’t ask you nicely to withdraw those comments.

March 15, 2024 12:40 pm
March 15, 2024 12:50 pm

OGLACH 928

It’s bad enough that we choose to vilify or celebrate the club’s traditions depending on whether there might be money in it. To be unaware of the proper colours and their origin on the flag is unforgivable,particularly given the reason for the press release. Not surprising,right enough.

March 15, 2024 1:47 pm

Stokes jailed for 5 months

March 15, 2024 1:53 pm

Hatate back training today

March 15, 2024 2:45 pm

BR said McGregor should be ok for huns game

March 15, 2024 2:59 pm

Had to bury our best friend today – I feel like that is all I have done the last couple of years!

March 15, 2024 3:01 pm

Scales injured

March 15, 2024 3:04 pm

I’m sure I asked you to take a post down about me , Bobby!

Now I see you digging other people up about something they have written, when you have left a post up full of lies about me.

You’re a real classy guy!!

March 15, 2024 4:52 pm

AFTERNOON ALL AND JIM ,just reading back,BIG AUDIO DYNAMITE, sorry about your loss,.H,H,

March 15, 2024 4:54 pm

BAD@2:59

Sorry to hear that, sadly we are at an age that funerals are more regular than weddings however when the latter does happen makes them all the more enjoyable!

Jimbo67
March 15, 2024 5:05 pm

Afternoon all

Hampden in the old days was a ramshackle and filthy dump but it was an awesome sight to behold. The newer version still seems vast- something to do with it mostly being single tier I suppose. The new version has hot water in its toilets and you get a mobile signal in it but it’s a rather dull stadium.

Some of the most unforgettable matches I’ve ever been at though- one of the most memorable being a 1969 Scotland match with ‘Ireland’ (as the team from the North was still called) in front of a 7500 or so fans on a night of torrential rain. 10 days before Celtic had beaten Rangers 4-0 and there must have been at least 45000 in the Celtic End that day. That night there were 3 fans, all huddled under a golf umbrella , and , for a time, a photographer there to snap these drenched souls. All 4 left at half-time.

Jimbo

Sorry for your loss BAD.

March 15, 2024 5:12 pm

re: funerals and marriages …. as was said too many of the former and not enough of the latter these days …. a couple of friends were saying the same recently… none of us had been to a good wedding recently ….

I remember the tremendous outpouring of good will on the old blog when Hamilton Tim (does anyone on here keep in touch with him? I always liked his posts. He seemed like a good lad.) met his lady on the blog …. really gave thewhole blog a lift.

I think it is time for someone on SC to step and take one for the team …. pretty sure Mahe is happily married (cute picture of the little one recently, by the way… she is looking more and more like her dad by the day), so he’s out ….

As the co-founder of the blog, I think it is up to BMCUWP to lead by example … he should step up and take on for the team …. I’m sure his pals on here can find him a nice lady to tie the knot with….

If BMCUWP steps up to the challenge, I’l even fly over for the ceremony!

🙂

March 15, 2024 5:30 pm

MIT
As it happens I’m actually getting married, not until July 19th though, it’s just the Mrs and me and 2 friends at Irvine townhouse then back to my local for some refreshments of the alcoholic type

March 15, 2024 5:35 pm

C76

Congratulations! That is terrific news!

SFTB
March 15, 2024 5:44 pm

Reminder- next round of Superbru predictions due in by 3 pm tomorrow

March 15, 2024 5:45 pm

Cheers MIT 👍
Her exact words were “so are we getting married or wit then”
Who says romance is dead 😂😂

March 15, 2024 5:51 pm

C76

I hope you responded ‘what took you so long to ask? I’ve been waiting for ages’

🙂

March 15, 2024 6:19 pm

MIKE IN TORONTO ive been married for 42 years, never one crossed word between us ,but probably thousands’ of uncrossed words, another true story.LOL 😂

March 15, 2024 6:24 pm

MIT
We’ve. been engaged for 12 odd years, so it was a case of if we’re doing it it’s happening this year

March 15, 2024 6:31 pm

C76

some young couples rush into this… and dont really know each other before they get married …..but you guys obviously know each other …. which to me means that you are marrying the right person. Genuinely mean that. I think it is great when I hear stories like yours.

March 15, 2024 6:36 pm

Craig,

That’s smashing pal.
I wish you every happiness.

March 15, 2024 6:49 pm

Craig76 @5:30

Congratulations 🍾🍹🍸

March 15, 2024 6:51 pm

BP

How are you guys keeping?

I’m sure you will be glad to hear of C76’s news…. if we couldnt convince BMCUWP, you and JtT were my next choice!

🙂

March 15, 2024 6:58 pm

HI MIKE ok here pal fingers crossed, yes good luck and good wishes to CRAIG76,H.H.

March 15, 2024 7:15 pm

MIT, B.A.D, Prestonpans bhoys and Big Packy

March 15, 2024 7:25 pm

QUIZ QUESTION, ronald Wycherley was born in smithdown road hospital in liverpool in 1940, my wife wee Joan was born there in 1958, cyber pint if you can guess what his stage name was,,clue hallfway to paradise hit single.

Chairbhoy
March 15, 2024 7:41 pm

Craig 76 @ 5:30 pm,

Congratulations…

Enjoy the day, wishing you a long and joyous marriage.

March 15, 2024 7:52 pm

bp

Was never a Billy Fury fan.

did you know that song was written by Carole King? She had 118 Billboard top 100 singles, and another 70 or so songs that charted in Britain!

will you still love me tomorrow? by the Shirelles the loco-motion …up on the roof by the Drifters. …. YOu Make Me feel like a natural women by Aretha …Youve Got a Friend for James Taylor… and then after a decade of writing for other people, she was convinced to start recording her own material, and wrote and sang classics like So Far Away,

one of the great song writers of all time, and along with Curits Mayfield, one of the truly most underappreciated writers of all time … everyone knows them, but very few actually know how many hits those two actually wrote.

March 15, 2024 7:57 pm

MIKE cyber pint on its way,H,H,

March 15, 2024 8:17 pm

Just logged on.
Felicitations and best wishes on your impending nuptials.
Yer gonna need them.🤣😅😂
Only kidding!
Took me 2 tries to get it right.
Never regretted it ( although she might have! )
Iniquitous IV😊

Auldbhoy67
March 15, 2024 8:38 pm

Bmcwp

Just to confirm if the normal Saturday naps competition running tomorrow.