Overdrive

There is now less than a month left of the football season which ends on a famous day in the calendar. 25th of May. We line up at Hampden Park against R2ngers after a weekend of contrasting difficulty saw us taken to the brink-and penalties-by a very spirited indeed Aberdeen side,one in which every player on their team looked as if he was playing for a new contract or at the very least to catch the eye of their manager-in-waiting.

Our rivals,on the other hand,had little more than a spirited training session against their mini-me cousins from the capital,as Hearts continued their proud tradition of lying down to their brethren at every opportunity. Six fouls on the way to a hiding in a semi-final is not the mark of a competitive team,nor one which is trying a bloody leg. Maybe it’ll be sixth time lucky for them,though I won’t be holding my breath if we need them to get a result on the last day of the season.

Speaking of six,we now have six games left to secure another double. Although it seems to have been another long and gruelling season,it will actually be one of our shortest in recent times,coming in at 50 games in total. Our early exit from the League Cup shaved a few off right away,and direct entry into the European group stages saw us drop as many as eight from the schedule. Maybe that’s why the board have been stockpiling all that cash,to make up for the shortfall in matchday income…

Naturally,this is the time when the use of clichés goes into overdrive. Every game is a cup final,etc. Hell,the papers have even started dredging up their “panel of experts” to forensically analyse each remaining game and forecast the results in each and the likely look of the final league table-and they don’t come more clichéd than that!

One cliché however is totally appropriate at this time of the season-and that is that no news is good news. We genuinely don’t want to be hearing anything from the club between matches at the moment because any which is forthcoming is unlikely to be good. We don’t want to hear about how things went in training right now because it might be about players picking up an injury,as an example. Or about whether our manager is wanted down south,something which frankly ruined our treble for me last season. Or whatever,any news is likely to be bad and no news at all is better.

But Celtic bucked that trend this week by delivering some good news for us,even if the SFA did their best to poison the well with their latest refereeing appointments. In a month which has already seen the return to action of both Reo and CalMac,we received a terrific boost with the news that Daizen Maeda is probably not out for the rest of the season after all. In fact he is already back in training with a target for his return set for next week against Hearts. A Hearts team which,of course,will be fired up by the stinging criticism of their antics at the weekend and will want to prove that they are still a force to be reckoned with.

Maeda is not without his share of critics amongst the fans,and in truth he can be the most maddening of players. He is the main striker for his country,Japan,who are ranked 18th in the world,well above Scotland in 39th for example. He has shown us his prowess in front of goal this season too,even though he is played almost exclusively on the left wing by us. He is quite probably the fastest player we have seen in our colours since the legendary Buzz Bomb Bobby Lennox-but his crossing of the ball is absolutely woeful! Especially when he gets some height into a cross,we are lucky to see it again before Air Traffic Control advise us of its whereabouts.

But his pace,his covering back,his sheer tenacity and that Duracell-Bunny-on-speed approach scares the living daylights out of the opposition! None more so than Tavpen,even though he seems to have taken a particular delight over the last year of melting Cantwell too at every opportunity. His return to the side is a great boost for us at any stage of the season,and I think his absence has made the heart grow fonder.

Another piece of good news was the return to action last weekend of our old warrior James Forrest. Jamesie too has had his detractors over the years,much of it for the same reason as Maeda-a lack of the killer final ball. Well,his final ball only seconds after coming on as sub on Saturday saw it nestling in the Aberdeen net to give us a lead for the first time in the match. I’ve said before that it is far too early to write him off; he is still only 32yo and has given us almost 500 appearances and over 100 goals. He also has an incredible collection of medals to his name,right up there with the legends of the club. And rightly so,for he belongs amongst them,in my opinion. But then,I’ve always had a soft spot for wingers and for home-grown players who have come through the ranks. And as an Ayrshire Bhoy,I’ll freely admit to a healthy bout of bias!

Even I don’t think that he will command a first-team spot of his own,but a fit and firing Jamesie lurking on the bench is a handy weapon to have. And I’d happily see that remain the case for a while yet.

On a lighter note,there was also the bombshell from Ofcom when they announced that no action will be taken against Chris Sutton and Sky for his comments during the game at Ibrox earlier this month. Seems that he referred to Matt O’Riley as having “some balls” to score with a Panenka penalty,and I have to say that I agree with him! However,some of the easily offended immediately contacted the watchdog to complain about such profanity-no doubt after spending a couple of hours downing the electric soup with their pals and calling Matt all the Fenian Bastards under the sun. Heyho,takes all sorts. It would be pathetic if it wasn’t so funny.

The only minor fly in the ointment for the week,as I mentioned before,is the referee appointment for the weekend. The SFA and the referees association appointment committee are really pushing their luck on this one,as I mentioned earlier in the week. Everyone knows Beaton’s background,and everyone knows where his allegiance lies. Everyone also knows his history in games involving us or them,and also in the Glasgow derbies. A yellow card count of 4-0 and crime count of 23-10 was no accident a few weeks ago. This isn’t us being trolled. This is a last-gasp power play,a last attempt to throw everything but the kitchen sink at us in their desperate efforts to divert the title south. We shouldn’t have let it get to this,and we have to find some way of neutralising these appointments in the future. You know my preferred route,so I won’t repeat it.

Finally and to round off for the week from me,the SFA did actually get a wee gold star from me when they announced the kick off time for the cup final next month. It should never have been an issue of course,but the SFA made it so with their craven decision last season to move kick off time to 530pm. They even had the cheek to announce that the decision was taken after agreement with both clubs,a suggestion quickly refuted by both Celtic and ICT. The problem is that both games were scheduled for a 3pm kick-off,and the BBC have the rights to show both games,albeit in tandem with ITV in England and Premier in Scotland.

Tough. Let the people choose. The huns keep telling us how much they love England,they can watch the Manchester Derby if they like. With both games due at 3pm,my choice is already made. And there’s no prizes for guessing what it is either!

Bring it on…

Notify of
April 26, 2024 5:00 am

VIVE LE RESOLUTION!!!!

You can read our article on a resolution for improving refereeing standards here.

Join the growing numbers of our readers who have had enough of referees in hun scarves.

April 26, 2024 5:01 am

The Sentinel Celts Charity Drive has nominated Blood Cancer UK as the recipient for funds for the next six months to 31/07/2024,and we are getting close to achieving our SECOND TARGET.

We have set up a GoFundMe page for those who have some spare cash to donate,even from a lucky windfall or finding a tenner in the street.

Click on the link for more details,including how to donate.

Please give generously to a very deserving cause. Although our first targets have now been achieved-and many thanks for your generosity!-we can always hope to do more.

April 26, 2024 5:02 am

JOBO POTY Competition.

sencelpoty@gmail.com

April 26, 2024 5:03 am
April 26, 2024 7:35 am

Good morning friends and a Big Happy Friday to all who post or lurk on this fine site.
Good article Bobby. Just 6 games left to determine our Player Of The Year. And if the weekly voting numbers stay above the 60 mark I’m almost certain to continue with it next season. Making a bit of an assumption here but hey ho. So, voters, tell her friends and family to join in at any time. Never to late to vote for the first time! SENCELPOTY@GMAIL.COM

Auldbhoy67
April 26, 2024 7:59 am

Quick question for the troops here before I head to golf.. Reference Saturdays game if any of our players see yellow are they in danger of missing the Hearts game next week or do post split yellows not count in the card tally.
Makes me wonder who will get yellows or reds over next 2 games as Huns game 3rd .

April 26, 2024 8:14 am

Auldbhoy67
This was debated a bit on here a few weeks ago and I think, think, ban for yellow cards only happens –
1. – If you pick up a 6th yellow within any period of 19 games (e.g. 1st booking in game 2, can only get 4 more up to game 20).
2 – If you pick up a 12th yellow over the whole season.
We don’t have any players who are in danger of either threshold (think AJ and Taylor both have 4 yellows but thats over the whole season).
I think….

April 26, 2024 9:39 am

JOBO

Thanks for that. The yellow card situation is a real puzzler,and shouldn’t be so complicated.

As for the POTY Competition,it may be only a bit of fun,but it gives everyone a chance to see who has been holding their form over the season. That’s especially important when players are having a rough patch.

It’s also a healthy reminder that sometimes we can be guilty of watching a different game from everyone else when we see who is getting the votes and who isn’t!

magua
April 26, 2024 9:42 am

Good morning from level 5 of the Mitchell Library. A fine place to chill out. Looking forward to meeting some fine fellas in the Shipbank later on.

Hail Hail.

Bigrailroadblues
April 26, 2024 10:06 am

Magua
Bring plenty cash. I’m skint again.

Magua
April 26, 2024 10:09 am

BRRB

Aye right. 😂

Hail Hail.

April 26, 2024 10:13 am

MAGUA

Good morning,and good luck with the day ahead. You’ll need it!

April 26, 2024 10:15 am

Magua,

One of my favourite buildings in Glasgow.

A fine place to spend an afternoon 👍

Magua
April 26, 2024 10:15 am

I’ll need a massive feed before meeting up with those lads.

Hail Hail.

Magua
April 26, 2024 10:18 am

BAD

It sure is. Level 5 has a cracking selection of Celtic books. 👍

Hail Hail.

April 26, 2024 10:22 am

Magua,

I’m a regular 😉

Btw, got a grand old day for your get together 👍

Magua
April 26, 2024 10:25 am

BAD

Had a nice walk from Ibrox to the Mitchell. I hope the weather is also fine in Dundee.

Hail Hail.

Bigrailroadblues
April 26, 2024 10:30 am

And it’s near the Bon Accord. 🍺

The Nabbla
April 26, 2024 10:48 am

Magua
I had a carrell in level5,studying for my degree,everything then was at hand.
When having a break i took myself down to the Glasgow room,and leafed thro the newspapers of the day,club founding,incorporation,6 in a row,jimmy quinn final,hampden riot-1909,home rule,fascinating and defo the place to immerse yourself in our history.I dont know if that room is still open.How i passed i will never know :-))
A great diversion

Frodshambhoy
April 26, 2024 10:52 am

Sorry to but in.
Noticed references to Saturday in the past few days.
We play on Sunday this week.

April 26, 2024 10:54 am

Welcome back,FRODSHAMBHOY. You heard anything recently from BIGPACKY? He’s dropped right off the radar lately.

Magua
April 26, 2024 11:21 am

The Nabbla

The Glasgow Room is still going strong. What I like about Level 5 is the quietness of the place. Real old school. The staff are extremely helpful.

BRRB

I’m in The Crystal Palace waiting on a large mixed grill. On my way here I passed The Bon Accord. I didn’t realise that the pub was only opened in 1971. I assumed it had been there for a lot longer than that. Nursing an Iron Bru, while waiting for me food to arrive.

Big Packy

If you’re lurking, 💚 to you and Joan.

Hail Hail.

April 26, 2024 11:28 am

Magua,

Like a good walk myself.

On days like this I’m usually up the hills with my hammock.

Getting lost in nature is my fav thing. 👍

Magua
April 26, 2024 11:30 am

BAD

👍☘️🍀

April 26, 2024 11:33 am

Hoping BP’s situation has been alleviated a little, to allow him to get some small breaks.

Been there with a loved one.

The one thing you don’t realise is the toll it is taking on you.

No shame in admitting that.

All the best Packy 👍

Drew67
April 26, 2024 12:19 pm

BRRB

Would ye say hello to DAVID66 and Big Jimmy from me.Played fitba witb Big Davy at Possil Y.M back in early 80’s.Cracking lad and a great player too.

Billy Bhoy
April 26, 2024 1:27 pm

Great article Bobby.

I disagree you about Maeda’s return being much of a positive TBH. He is more likely to worry a fan behind the goal with his crossing than the opposition keeper. Its way past a joke now that we haven’t seen a flicker of improvement from him in his third season. The coaches should be all over this – not to mention the player himself.

I do however totally agree with you about James Forrest. In games where it is tight he is always my first pick for coming on – and he rarely disappoints.
Here’s my thought for the day. Given that Scotland can take 26 players to the Euros surely Clarke has to find a seat on the plane for Jamesie? Its not a squad blessed with goals. With over 100 goals AND assists he must surely be worth having on the bench at least?

April 26, 2024 1:56 pm

BILLYBHOY

You won’t hear criticism of Jamesie from me. Problem with him heading for the Euros is that Clarke has only picked him four times since he took over five years ago. Plus,all his Scotland goals-five in total-were scored in 2017,and in one international break too. I think he will be more likely to have his feet up in the summer.

April 26, 2024 2:17 pm
April 26, 2024 2:17 pm

Apparently the bears will be missing Sima and Matondo for this weekend at least.

Also a little surprised by the amount of talk surrounding players who.might be leaving there.

Seem to remember Walter making that mistake once.

Refs are gonna have to raise their game …the c@nts!

Cosy Corner Bhoy
April 26, 2024 3:11 pm

Big Packy: Hope everything okay with wee Joan and yourself and you’re just having a sabbatical😀

April 26, 2024 3:27 pm

afternoon all and Jim, HI GHUYS thanks for all your kind thoughts, been a bit busy with wee joan so not had the time to post, good news is she is responding to treatment with her back pain although the doc says it might never go fully away, we are managing the pain, she feels and looks a lot better, hope you are all well, another true story,H.H.

maccargo
April 26, 2024 3:30 pm

The gaffers pre match press conference…

Maeda will be finished his rehab early next week then available for selection…

I’ll leave you to discover the comedy gold Brendan provided when asked about the Dens Park pitch…

April 26, 2024 3:30 pm

Goals in MLS this season so far from selected players ( most teams have played 8 or 9 games )

Messi 7
Suarez 6
Lewis Morgan 6
Giamoukakis 5
Ryan Gauld 4

A bit surprised that Steve Clarke has not called Gauld up to at least have a look at him in a friendly.
He has played superbly every time I have seen him.
Iniquitous IV😊

Just Sayin’
April 26, 2024 3:35 pm

B A D

Have you missed the talk of Tavpen and Goldhands off to join Gerrard for mullions of petro dollars? 😀
Based on their successful stellar careers obviously.

April 26, 2024 3:36 pm

BIGPACKY

That’s good news,mate. Glad to hear it.

☘️⭐️👍

April 26, 2024 3:49 pm

Maccargo
Thanks for posting clip. I have a hard time watching these pressers all the way through, as they induce ennui. Most of the questions at the outset from the alleged journalists present are in the form of statements inviting yes/no answers. Hearing them drone on just makes me reach for the X button.
Big Packy
Glad yer missus is on the up. Long may it continue.
Iniquitous IV

April 26, 2024 4:38 pm

BP, good news buddy.

Just sayin’, be interesting to see if anyone is willing to pay both those duds 40k a week, eh? It’s typical of them to have ended up with a higher wage bill than us. I’ve often wondered what both of them REALLY think about playing for the Huns 😊

Just Sayin’
April 26, 2024 4:48 pm

B A D

There is always that thing about once they’re there they get indoctrinated. Wonder if the Jimmy Bell initiation rite is still in situ and who tends the goat !!

April 26, 2024 5:16 pm

Priceless stuff from the DR’S pursuit of a none story below. The consequences, like Morelos, will be the two players ask for enhanced wages 😅🤣😂

“Philippe Clement has warned Steven Gerrard that Al-Ettifaq will have to pay out “a lot of money” if they are to land Connor Goldson and James Tavernier this summer.”

April 26, 2024 5:19 pm

Great presser from Brendan, as usual.
I could listen to him talk all day.

April 26, 2024 5:26 pm

Just sayin’,

What the hell is that with them? I’ll make this concession for any manager of player over there,, they fans must be almost impossible to play for.

No surprise both Tav and Goldson have alluded to the pressure they feel playing in front of them.

April 26, 2024 5:26 pm

Also love listening to Brendan talk football.

petec
April 26, 2024 6:28 pm

Mr Garnier – I believe he done a 12 hour set in Glasgow town.

I just wish we had seen the very best of Liel.

Cannae have enough Hun Skelpers.

Magua
April 26, 2024 6:44 pm

Brilliant day out this afternoon, in the company of some fine Tims.

Hail Hail.

Magua
April 26, 2024 6:45 pm

Big Packy

That’s great news. 👍

Hail Hail.

April 26, 2024 7:01 pm

Depending on wha story you believe, Rubin Amorim is either very unlucky or a bit stupid.

After Alonso announced he would be staying in Germany for another season, Amorim was top of the list for most in demand manager this season. He apparently had interviews with both Barcelona and Liverpool. Apparently, Amorim’s demands were too high for Liverpool (which, presumably, would be too expensive for the cash strapped Barca also). Barca then convince Xavi to stay for another season, so that job is off the table. It seems like to put pressure on Liverpool, Amorim then went and interviewed with West Ham. Unfortunately for Amorim, that did not go down well at Anfield who then decided to have discussions with Slot.

so, from having two chairs pulled out for him, and having to decide which one to take, Amorim is now on the outside looking in.

BP, nice to see you posting. Good news about Joan.

Just Sayin’
April 26, 2024 7:14 pm

B A D

Always had a soft spot for Henrik’s mate GvB.
Would have been wonderful with us.

Such a wrong choice as player and worse as manager.
However, if you are that way inclined Hell mend ye!

Cosy Corner Bhoy
April 26, 2024 7:20 pm

Good news Packy
Nice to see Joan picking up
Good luck and pop in when you get the chance
A true story😀