One More Push

Six months ago after a 1-1 home draw with Motherwell,I pointed out that our lead had diminished from seven points a mere four games earlier to three points,assuming that our despised rivals won their two games in hand. That if we didn’t think we were in a title race,we were kidding ourselves on.

My opinion was duly slaughtered by some,and that was as I expected things to be. At Celtic we don’t award baubles after a mere few games,we wait for the entire season to pan out. We’ve seen miraculous recoveries and disastrous collapses in our time and little surprises us anymore. By the end of February,the general consensus was that there was indeed a title race-and worse,we were lagging behind!

By coincidence,it was Motherwell who gave us some brief cause for optimism,travelling to Ibrox on the Saturday and coming away with a 3-2 victory and all three points. Heading into the weekend,we were two points down. Heading to Tynecastle on the Sunday,we had a chance to go a point clear-well short of the seven point lead we had commanded only four months earlier,but crucial nevertheless.

The bare stats say that we blew that by virtue of a 2-0 defeat. But it was probably the turning point of the season. We are long used to the vagaries of the refereeing profession in Scotland and how it invariably favours a certain team over all others. The expression “pattern of assistance” has passed already into folklore,and how I wish I’d come up with that one! It possessed in damning accuracy what Beaton himself-the villain of the piece at Tynecastle-had casually dismissed as anomalies. He was fooling nobody,but that wasn’t why he said it in the first place. Nor why he took it on himself to change the outcome of the match in Edinburgh.

Once again,the referees were making it clear that they were the fox in charge of the henhouse. But this time our manager wasn’t for taking it lying down. He called out Beaton in public,and he was hammered for it in the media. He cared not a jot. He was carpeted by the beaks,intent on making an example of him and on banning him for as long as possible. He cared not a jot for that either. Got one of them Philadelphia lawyers on the case to run rings round the SFA by using their own procedures against them. Ten days later,BR took his seat in the away dugout at Ibrox to watch our foes celebrate a 3-3 home draw like they had won the Champions League,domestic treble and the Euromillions all in one fell swoop.

Fuxake,they even did a lap of honour!

The point protected their lead at the top,assuming they won their game in hand. But it was becoming apparent that such things could no longer be taken for granted. Worse-for them!-was that they could no longer take for granted that we were going to continue to drop stupid points. In their last nine games from that day at Tynecastle they took 15/27 points. We took 25/27-and there’s yer dinner.

The club that does it at the business end of the campaign is the one that comes home with the medals. That gets to celebrate it in the town centre. That gets to laud their heroes while the other lot look at their own and shout them down for being nowhere near good enough for their club. Yes,the same worldbeaters that were nailed on for a quadruple only a few weeks ago after that 3-3 draw. It would truly take a heart of stone not to laugh.

Back to the game on Saturday,it was good to see Nawrocki and Ralston settling back in as though they had never been away. I took no pleasure from the dreadful day that Stephen Welsh suffered,climaxing in what looked like a dislocated shoulder after conceding a penalty. A header in the early minutes from him came so close to giving us an early lead,too. I would love him to make the impression for us that he did in our wretched covid season when I thought he was POTY,and I still do.

Saints gave us a game of it throughout,O’Hara almost completing a first half hat-trick,but they had to be content with taking the lead twice before being overhauled by a better team on the day. Kyogo was back to doing what he does best,scoring an excellent trademark second from an outstanding cross from Reo. Kyogo himself put in an even better cross for an easier chance for Palma,but it was a cross that needed a striker on the end of it. Palma atoned for that by netting the winner as the whistle approached,and it was Party Time.

My niece is in Australia at the moment,and I suppose she had better get used to the concept of seeing Santa in summer. Celtic gave her a wee chance to acclimatise to that-am I allowed to use the word anomaly?-by having Santa present the trophy to CalMac and The Bhoys. I hope that means we are now back on his presents lists! Joe Hart took his day in the sun on the day that the sun settled on his playing career,and he went with the acclamation he deserves. Yes,he gave us apoplexy on occasion,but I need only hark back once more to that covid season to think just how much he was a settling factor in our achievements in his time with us.

He told the crowd that he had never felt so welcomed anywhere by a club and its fans. He wasn’t joking,he wasn’t playing to the gallery. It’s what we do at Celtic. A place fit for heroes,and we have them everywhere.

Above article by BMCUWP.

Notify of
May 21, 2024 6:20 am

The Sentinel Celts Charity Drive has nominated Blood Cancer UK as the recipient for funds for the six months to 31/07/2024,and we are getting close to achieving our LATEST TARGET.
We have set up a GoFundMe page for those who have some spare cash to donate,even from a lucky windfall or finding a tenner in the street.
Click on the link for more details,including how to donate.
Please give generously to a very deserving cause. Although our first targets have now been achieved-and many thanks for your generosity!-we can always hope to do more.

May 21, 2024 6:20 am

VIVE LE RESOLUTION!!!!

You can read our article on a resolution for improving refereeing standards here.
Join the growing numbers of our readers who have had enough of referees In hun scarves.

Last edited 1 month ago by BOBBY MURDOCH’S CURLED-UP WINKLEPICKERS
May 21, 2024 7:02 am

Good morning all,

Can I just say thanks to Tony ( SFTB) for organising the Superbru Competition 👏👏👏👏👏

You’ve done a great job 👏👏👏👏👏

My congratulations, also to One Molloy who won the Competition and to runner up Billy Bhoy.

Well done to you both.

Hope you all have a fun day ☀️☀️☀️🍀🍀🍀

HH 💚 💚 💚

Bawheid.
May 21, 2024 7:23 am

One more Push for Jozo Simunovic, as he leaps upwards on the 67th. minute in April 2019 in tribute to Billy McNeill who had passed away just days before. Celtic heading towards 8IAR.
The legend that was Cesar, his “Spirit In The Sky”.

jozo-67-7
May 21, 2024 7:27 am
May 21, 2024 7:28 am

LEGGY

⭐️☘️👏

Fantastic,mate. Thank you.

Magua
May 21, 2024 7:50 am

Good lead article. That game at Tynecastle seems so long ago. It all turned out well in the end though.

As it did on the 21st of May 1979. Celtic 4 Rangers 2. To this day, my favourite Celtic memory. 10 men won the league…tra la la la la. 😁☘️🍀

Hail Hail.

May 21, 2024 8:22 am

MAGUA

Delighted to say that I was there 45 years ago. Halfway up the Celtic End,what a view and what a match.

From where I was,Murdo’s shot for our fourth looked like it was coming straight at me-and I swear I ducked!!!

May 21, 2024 8:26 am

BAWHEID

I thought Simo was an outstanding player. BR Mk I clearly thought so too,being a regular start when fit. Just such a shame for him and us that he had the world’s dodgiest knee.

Only 26 when we declined to renew his contract,and he has barely played since. Might our damned covid season have been different had we given him a contract extension? We’ll never know,of course. But it couldn’t have been any worse!

May 21, 2024 8:27 am

Magua,

Great memory from 1979.

I usually went to the Jungle, but for some reason, I was in the Celtic end.

What an unbelievable night
Ten men won the League, na na na na na 🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶

Ps
Hope your recovery is progressing well 👍

HH 🍀🍀🍀

Jimbo67
May 21, 2024 8:28 am

Morning all

Magua – you beat me to it to remind the world that today is the 45th anniversary of the 4-2 game. What a night.

Funnily enough I was having a discussion with some younger Celts the day after we clinched the title who thought that this current side was the weakest team they’d seen to win the title and I pointed out that the teams which had won in 1986 and 1979 had touched depths for sustained periods that the 23/4 has not. History will judge where this team stands overall but despite a lot of stodgy performances the points and ‘goals for’ columns suggest this team is , if not quite of the 66-74, 88 , 2001 and 2017 classes, more than merely worthy champions.

But back to 79. The lack of TV coverage means that it has become the ultimate ‘you had to be there’ game, almost a cult match. The 1969, 85 and 88 cup finals, Albert Kidd day, ‘stopping their ten’, the 6-2 game and in more recent times the finale to the 2017 cup final were all fantastic occasions but I think only the big European nights against Leeds, Boavista, Man U and Barca come close to matching the euphoria, the ecstasy of the night 10 men won the league- and only Lisbon surpasses it.

Those of us who were chidren when we won the European Cup probably needed a night that was ours and not our dads’, uncles and big brothers more – the 4-2 team became our team. You had to be there.

Happy 4-2 day.

Jimbo

May 21, 2024 8:41 am

Good morning, friends from a sun drenched EK.
Not long now until the first ever Glasgow Derby Scottish Cup Final. 4 more sleeps to be precise. Anyone else fancy a repeat of the 1969 scoreline when we battered our then rivals 4-0? Well, the fact that the odds for that are ‘only’ 28/1 suggests that the bookies aren’t exactly discounting such a rout.
We’ll see….

Bawheid.
May 21, 2024 8:52 am

Bobby,

Yes, Sumo was a much understated player, a cultured player. A reminder too of how fragile football can be for the players that get injured, leave and their contributions forgotten.

The funniest bit about Saturday for me, was Brendan’s conversation with Lenny and McFadden. When Calum had to drag him away to join in the celebrations. I have never seen a manager so animated, so vocal, it was clear that he was enjoying himself but had to get a lotta things of his chest.
You know it reminded me of those plastic teeth that you wind up and then they clack, clack away.
Never seen him enjoying himself so much, it was great to see him relaxed and unwinding.

May 21, 2024 9:13 am

I logged into the glorious CELTICWIKI to refresh my memories about 1979,especially the fixture pile-up. Not helped by a cup replay which we lost at home. I’d actually forgotten about that one,another case of blatant cheating from referee Foote,notorious for his part in our New Year defeat at Ibrox the previous year.

There’s a wonderful blast from the past at the foot of this match review. That ubiquitous crowd of 37,000 which always meant absolutely packed but half of the crowd were priests on free admission.

May 21, 2024 9:16 am

BAWHEID

Aye,but I saw a very angry and vindicated man who will not easily forget those who undermined him. Not so much enjoying the moment as relishing it as a suitable revenge.

I think he is right to do so,and I hope he uses those grudges as motivation.

May 21, 2024 9:44 am

Morning all from a glorious Royal Burgh!
The chat yesterday of goals that changed the course of the season was interesting. My own thoughts are Maeda at Ibrox within a minute was probably their undoing but crucially epitomises how Brendan had changed course. The Hampden disciplinary and the failed projects he’d previously been affording time to prove themselves seemed to me to be discarded in favour of a steely determination that nothing, absolutely nothing was gonna stop this man and his team winning the League. Since the Hearts 2-0 game we became a different animal. We still lacked consistency but it was clear that mentally we had changed. Where before we’d stuck rigidly to Brendan’s fruitless possession game we tried to put teams on the back foot, we had a higher more aggressive press. We played quicker and with purpose. We took the game to the opposition in a way we’d not been doing till that point.
I believe, also, that Celtic at Hampden strongly laid out their position regarding VAR and refs. We weren’t lying g down to the cheating anymore. Surely, it can be no coincidence that in the lead up, when charges are issued and defences proffered, that Crawford Allan tenders his resignation. It can be no coincidence that our fears about appointments to games after the disciplinary hearing were unfounded. It can be no coincidence that the Huns stopped getting the ridiculous decisions they had been and the playing field had been levelled. Goldson’s handball against us in the 3-3 is a fine example of decisions made that had been previously ignored!
So, for me, Maeda’s goal at Ibrox was the turning point but the Tynecastle game was the defining moment of the season!

May 21, 2024 9:56 am

Let’s hope Brendan keeps up his record of never losing at Hampden.

The guy’s record is just phenomenal.

Hunskelper-in-chief

May 21, 2024 10:34 am

On the Road again,

Well the train anyway,

On my way to meeting up with yon scallywag BRRB 🧐🧐

Wish me luck 😁😁😁

Billy Bhoy
May 21, 2024 10:35 am

Morning all,

I’d like to start by echoing Leggy’s congratulations to SFTB for organising the Superbru competition and for giving up so much of his time to give us updates after every round.

Congratulations to Onemalloy on his runaway success and to Leggy for his consistency.

I thoroughly enjoyed the weekly challenge of trying to guess the outcome of all 6 games every week. Initially, I spent ages agonizing over each one but eventually settled on a policy of spending no longer than 10 seconds on each pick and just going with my initial gut feeling.

I had a bittersweet moment recently when I hadn’t realised that the huns had kicked off at Dundee at 7.30(and not 8pm) and so hadn’t entered a prediction. By the time I realised Dundee had scored twice! 😀
Sadly, they didn’t hold on but pleasingly it didn’t matter in the end!

It was nice to finish on “55”! And at least it wasn’t £54 with £1 carried over from last season. Lets hope that Celtic can match my 55 next season!

Tony, I would appreciate if you could post my winnings to the Just Giving page of Matt Corr. Matt is going to Malawi with the Celtic Foundation on June 2 and is raising money for the Classrooms for Malawi Project.
Its a cause that’s been close to my heart for the last 10 years not least because my wife is a teacher.

I’m already looking forward to next years competition!

Chalmersbhoy
May 21, 2024 10:35 am
May 21, 2024 10:39 am

BILLYBHOY

An excellent cause,and well done. I know others who have been involved in the project in Malawi,and they all speak highly of it as focused and efficient.

👏⭐️☘️

Fan
May 21, 2024 10:39 am

My belief is the cheating backfired after Tynecastle with Beatons blatant cheating.
It galvanised BR from a passive coach into a caring angry man.
The team recognised this and the corruption of officialdom and went defiantly on the front foot.
Wasn’t always easy or pretty but a previously unseen defiance and will to win triumphed in the face of cheating.

May 21, 2024 10:54 am

Well done Billy Bhoy 👏👏👏

A fine gesture and a great cause 👍👍👍

And ….

Congratulations to One Molloy on his first place and outstanding points total.

But as Arnie says,

” I’ll be back” !!!!!!!!!!!! 😁😁😁😁

May 21, 2024 10:55 am

Fan, 10.39

My thoughts exactly.

Thanks John!

😁

May 21, 2024 10:57 am

CHALMERSBHOY

Thanks for that,mate. I could never tire of watching it.

Magua
May 21, 2024 11:15 am

What a night that was in 1979. There were enough memories in that one evening, to sustain me for a lifetime. One clear memory, is of my dad taking us down London Road and through Brigton. The Huns were not happy campers, and there were battles breaking out everywhere. I did my best to look like a scowling fecker, lest I be identified as a Tim…but inside, my heart was leaping with joy.

Thanks, mate. I’m hoping to be out of hospital in the next week or two. Then the real work begins. Enjoy your day with BRRB. Tell the legend I said ‘Howdy.’

Jimbo67

Some fantastic memories there of ’79. One game that I remember, was from March 1979, just after the resumption of the fitba. On a freezing afternoon in Paradise, we beat Dundee United 2-1. My hero at the time, Johnny Doyle, scored one that day. If memory serves, there were a few nervous moments in the run-in, including a bank holiday Monday game at Firhill. This was the season that I attended my first game at Ibrox. On a Friday night. 2-0 v St Mirren, with Bobby Lennox scoring one of the goals. Happy days.

fan

BR did indeed appear to have changed somewhat, after the Tynecastle game. His remark about the Celts ‘Turning up at the business-end of the season’, was psychology reminiscent of big Jock at his finest, and must surely have driven those at Ibrox to distraction. In putting others in their place, I believe that he was also sending a message to the PLC board, as to who is boss, when it comes to football matters.

BAD

Here’s hoping that BRs’ successful run at Hampden continues.

Hail Hail.

May 21, 2024 11:34 am

Magua,

One last big push for glory!

Don’t give the feckers any hope whatsoever.

Hope you’re well, pal 👍

Magua
May 21, 2024 11:43 am

BAD

Well said, and thanks for the good wishes.👍 No matter what happens on Saturday, we have already won the league flag. This was the one that their support wanted more than anything. They appear to be a tad unhappy, that this did not come to pass. Ah, well. 😂

Hail Hail.

May 21, 2024 12:13 pm

Magua,

The Huns appear to be too busy absolutely tearing strips off their own players.

Seriously, do none us these lads have ANY self awareness??

Having said that – I just couldn’t play for that lot!

Saturday might end them :))

Magua
May 21, 2024 12:52 pm

BAD

Yup. Division in the ranks is never a healthy thing. 😂

Hail Hail.

Last edited 1 month ago by Magua
May 21, 2024 1:21 pm

AFTERNOON ALL AND JIM MAGUA my first scottish cup final against thems was april 1969, we beat them 4-0 who scored the goals?????

Magua
May 21, 2024 1:27 pm

Big Packy

1 Cesar

2 Bobby Lennox

3 George Connolly

4 Stevie Chalmers

Hope you and Joan are well.

Hail Hail.

May 21, 2024 1:43 pm

HI magua a bottle of bells was coming your way, but as your no allowed any alcohol myself and wee joan will drink it for you,.another true story.LOL 😂 yes we are all ok here, hope you are too.HAIL HAIL

May 21, 2024 1:56 pm

LEGGY
“3rd place finish for me was not too shabby and I’d like to donate my prize to the Sentinel Celts Charity, Blood Cancer UK.”
—————————————
Classy, big man! Here’s a clip for that scallywag mate of yours, BBRB.

I got a good result on my scan, so hoping to get tae Glesga in October. Maybe mention to BBRB it’s his round.🤣
Iniquitous IV😊

Big packy
May 21, 2024 2:08 pm

Iniquitous glad you got a good result on your scan 👍

May 21, 2024 2:08 pm

INIQUITOUS IV,

Great News on the scan results.

Hopefully if you get over in October, we’ll get a pint.

That torag BRRB is in the bookies right now and I’m in Times Square.

Unfortunately, it’s the pub in St Enoch’s Square, my round and £5 a pint !!!!

He seems to like Wetherspoons for his round 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

You take care and hopefully see you later in the year 👍👍

timhorton
May 21, 2024 2:33 pm

IQ4

Great news.

May 21, 2024 2:53 pm

Sevco not hanging about, Butland replacement in already, Liam Kelly……thankfully, was linked with us

Magua
May 21, 2024 2:56 pm

Big Packy

Cheers, Pal. 😀

INIQUITIOUS IV

That’s great news on the scan.

Hail Hail.

May 21, 2024 2:57 pm

Life in the slow lane kicking in down Govan way

May 21, 2024 3:02 pm
Bigrailroadblues
May 21, 2024 3:07 pm

BRRB and Leggy. In old Glasgow Town.

IMG-20240521-WA0001
Drew67
May 21, 2024 3:41 pm

Magua

Was my first Celtic v huns match.i was 12.i went wi Pat Conroy and his son Michael , fellow Knightswood Tims.

..my mother had got us the tickets.Was incredible night.unfortunately i mind Russels goal more as i was in main stand right behind it.i mind all the goals right enough tho i would swear Murdo’s was a 40 yarder that burst the net.

May 21, 2024 3:45 pm

IQ4

It is a mental relief when a scan is clear.

Sit back and enjoy the Cup Final

May 21, 2024 3:45 pm

Butland doesnt make the England squad….have to say, as someone who watches a bit of English football, I think he should be in the squad.

But, this may force him to push for a move. Which would be good.

May 21, 2024 3:48 pm

Inq

just reading back. good news on your scan.

May 21, 2024 3:53 pm

Fan

The evidence since Tynescastle and BRs disciplinary appearance at Hampden backed by a KC that must have had Board approval suggest Celtic have not being doing nothing iro referees.

I’m reminded of a line in the War of The Worlds LP by Richard Burton ” slowly but surely we drew our plans against them”.

It will be interesting to see how Willie Collum tackles the Referee Administrator job.

May 21, 2024 3:57 pm

10th place finish for crystal palace, and 4 players in the England squad. Glasner has done a great job with them this season.

May 21, 2024 3:58 pm

Butland needs to pay for a new team,will be dressed up as him wanting to play for England