Blast From The Past

It was fascinating to read about Martin O’Neill’s response to Souness’ assertion that our opponents on Saturday aren’t too far behind us,that the gap in quality is virtually non-existent. Apart from the obvious-the title in the bag and 10 against 1 points in the four derby matches-most of us could put up a strong argument in our favour position by position. Martin though wound it back to his time with us,and said that the R1ngers team his players faced would wipe the floor with the current R2ngers lot.

I don’t think there’s much doubt about that. In fact,I think that team would give our current side a run for their money too. But it raised a valid point,something I’d discussed a day or so earlier with my sister. The 2002 cup final nightmare.

We went into that on the back of a remarkable league campaign. A record 103 points and only 18 goals against. Gone were the days of the sieve,the boss had the team set up in a way that stopped the opposition while allowing our forwards to make hay. But on the day,we had problems heading into the match. Our preferred three at the back had injury problems and that led to us playing both Balde and Sutton there alongside Mjallby,despite being short of 100%. At least they lasted the match-in truth,both were top notch on the day-but Lambo was a gamble too far in midfield. He didn’t even last the first 45,to be replaced by Jackie.

Our three at the back was a big powerful unit,fearsome to behold. But they were far from the quickest. They faced Lovenkrands,McCann and Caniggia,all with pace to burn. With Thommo and Agathe as wingbacks,all too frequently focused on going forward rather than what they were leaving behind,it was easy enough for our opponents to hoof it far and wide when they got the chance. They were in behind,hitting us on the break. And it seemed to happen as often as they liked!

Once too often,just as the whistle was about to blow. Lovenkrands to make it 3-2. Bastert,I was spitting feathers for a fortnight.

The reason I mention this is because I think we have been at our most vulnerable this season when teams follow a similar tactic. Hoof it far and wide from defence,we seem to lose so many goals from this simple tactic. The current favourite is to play it wide against our right then swing the ball high to the far post. CCV gets caught trying to cover for AJ,Scales is in no-man’s land trying to cover his own spot plus CCV,and Taylor simply doesn’t have the height to quite clear it. You tell me how many times this has happened,but it’s certainly the favoured tactic-and for a reason too.

How do we deal with it? I dunno. Our manager neither,same as MON back in the day. We know it’s a weakness but we don’t have the personnel to affect it. And it just takes me back to a bad day,one where we all knew the problem but hoped we were strong enough to overcome it.

On Saturday,I expect us to be strong enough-and good enough-to win. But there is a major weakness at the back for us,and it has already been exploited time and again. Hopefully not on Saturday though.

Notify of
May 23, 2024 12:30 am

VIVE LE RESOLUTION!!!!

You can read our article on a resolution for improving refereeing standards here.
Join the growing numbers of our readers who have had enough of referees In hun scarves.

May 23, 2024 12:30 am

The Sentinel Celts Charity Drive has nominated Blood Cancer UK as the recipient for funds for the six months to 31/07/2024,and we are getting close to achieving our LATEST TARGET.
We have set up a GoFundMe page for those who have some spare cash to donate,even from a lucky windfall or finding a tenner in the street.
Click on the link for more details,including how to donate.
Please give generously to a very deserving cause. Although our first targets have now been achieved-and many thanks for your generosity!-we can always hope to do more.

Drew67
May 23, 2024 12:43 am

Stop them crosses at source.teams finding it too easy to put crosses into our box.

May 23, 2024 12:54 am

Bobby, good article, and you have pinpointed a significant weakness. Right off the bat, I can remember Hertz, Kilmarnock, Aberdeen twice, and Lazio exploiting it, and there have been several other occasions.

it will concern me if Sima plays. If he is on the left, Tav(pen) will cross the ball long to exploit Johnson. If Sima is on the right, he is likely to ragdoll Taylor and will be available at the far post for headers.

On the plus side, they have considerable weaknesses at the back. I am hoping we take the game to them from the off, finish the game early, and do not allow them a rally to reduce the deficit or draw level, as we have done in previous games.
Iniquitous IV😊

May 23, 2024 2:45 am

The 200 Rangers (RIP) team would put 6 past the current zombie team. Every da of the week. They would also put 5 past the current

SteveNaive
May 23, 2024 8:14 am

St Mirren did hit it long right in a change from teams targeting Taylor from goal kicks.
Maybe they hadn’t noticed it was Tony in there who did well against that tactic.
Not averse to fouling and time wasting either.

May 23, 2024 8:22 am

Good morning, friends.
So, for Saturday is it AJ or Tony against Silva? And Scales or Nawrocki to partner CCV? What about up front – Kyogo or Idah? And does James start or be our supersub? The other 7 surely are already in place – Joe, Cameron, Greg, Calum, Reo, Matt and Daizen. Great problems to have!

Jimbo67
May 23, 2024 8:59 am

Morning all

Dunno that the leader has brought back the happiest of memories- but it chimes with the uneasiness I feel going into this final.

That 2002 was a sore one for sure but if anything the final that comes more to mind is the one of 1973. We’d had an unhappy season- our first pre-Christmas European exit in several years, Dryburgh and League Cup final losses to a briefly rampant Hibs before a bad new year when Jock Stein was ill and Lou Macari left all leading up to a sustained slump in league form that saw it look as though we might win nothing for the first time in 9 years. We rallied though and played increasingly well in the run-in to pip a Rangers’ tide that buckled. We went into the final as clear favourites but lost. They did need a bit of refereeing assistance at one stage but as with 2002 they probably deserved to win anyway. We’d limped to that final with replay wins over a decling wins and a stodgy Dundee team. This time our two least convincing performances since the turning point at Tynecastle were unconvincing performances versus Livi and Aberdeen. Souness is not a million miles from the truth in saying the gap between the sides is narrow – we are far better at football perhaps but we are vulnerable to a pretty basic tactic. And have been for years now.

I am going to write what follows now as I do not want to be accused of sour grapes or whatever if we lose.

I have reallydisliked this season. Sure we’ve played really well in the run in and our manager looks re-energised after a below-par showing by him earlier in the campaign when he seemed to have the look of a man who wanted out of football altogether for a while after things went so sour at Leicester City. The underwhelming summer signings did not help him ( or me) either. But there was also all that stuff with the Green Brigade, VAR and the rest of it. Hell, even our best player, O’Riley, seemed to go in the huff for weeks. And until the last few games I think I got soaked at every game I was at.

Celtic as an institution has to change. Our strategy since about 2002- when Desmond realised we were not going to be allowed to join the EPL- has neglected to have anything resembling a growth strategy. Instead an accountant who’d previously been employed by us in the early 90s was let loose to micromanage a club which was still, factually, in the top 20 for wealth in Europe. The last league table of European wealth I saw we were 89th. Circumstances and geography have a lot to do with that but for 21 years we have been run on a short term profit basis with no strategy for growth unless you think signing a lot of players and hoping that we can sell on maybe one out of five of those players for 5-10 times what we paid for him a strategy for growth although some liked to call it Moneyball. I am delighted we won the league and would rather we were in the Champions League than not but I am dreading the actual matches. Again. Spending some money on players because they will make the team better and not because they might make the plc a profit would be a start.

Anyway enough of my ramblings. I’ve work to go to and there’s a double to tie-up. ( I still think we’ll win despite my unease about our being hot favourites)

Jimbo

Jimbo67
May 23, 2024 9:11 am

Sorry some gremlins in post there – it should be ‘Rangers side that buckled’ and ‘Declining Dons’

Jimbo

San Luis
May 23, 2024 9:28 am

Jeezo, only took four days of delight to be brought back down to earth with the thought of losing to the Huns!

I do agree that there’s not that much between the two teams, we probably have a bit more quality and they have a bit more physical presence and, well experience in the darker arts.

However, we certainly have the mental strength and belief in what we’re doing , whereas they look – on recent form at least- bereft of ideas except the long hoof up front.

As for the past, there’s nothing we can do about that, except learn the lessons. So 2002 shouldn’t even feature in our thoughts.

It’s a one off game, anything can happen. But if we stick to the plan, play our best 11 from the off, then we should win. But nothing is guaranteed, we will need to work hard for it.

Off to say a prayer to Mary.

SteveNaive
May 23, 2024 9:30 am
May 23, 2024 9:52 am

Morning all! The fears of the few in the build up to the Final are a microcosm of the season. They’re bigger than us, they’re more physical, we’re weak down the left, we’re weak down the right, we cannae tackle in the middle, we’re just no very good, we’re the best of a bad bunch!!
FFS!! We took 10 points off them in the League! We finished the League healthier, fitter and stronger than them. Brendan has Monsiuer Flop bamboozled, befuddled and bedraggled so much that he doesn’t know how to play us. His team full of divers and foulers are terrified of us.
Yes, I agree Cup Finals are one off games but come on, troops! A fool can see how shit they are right now. If Celtic don’t go into this game better prepared and full of confidence that we’re trousering another Scottish Cup well…I’ll eat my hat!

Madmitch
May 23, 2024 10:03 am

The summer of 2002 — when things started to get complicated.
The SCF defeat was sore / very sore — especially as we had gotten ourselves into the lead.
MON was still on Plan A and we took a few sore ones from his tactical rigidity.
And we still had DD to get his heart broken when Leeds came calling.

Is it the consensus that we were closest to joining the EPL in 2002?
My memory has it that we tried again later.

Saturday’s game — Ludge MIB / Ludge VAR will try and make their mark.
They have been working under the radar recently — Govan FC’s most recent goal being the standard of their work this season. Help from Ludge Media also makes things easier — hands on GT’s shoulders and no-one notices / no-one cares.

In a way the game does not matter — the league was just about everything.
The state of Govan FC is probably the more important issue on display.
Is the manager going through the motions or is he in for the long haul.

Money next season will be tighter for them.
Just a case of will they spend it better — ego trumped value last season.
Plus the old guard had their wages go up as their form went down.

Summer hype Cup — they will win it / they always do.
Hopefully we are up for the fight and have our new growth agenda to hand.

Saturday — if we turn up we will win.
They have a punchers chance and they will us it.
Ludge VAR / Ludge MIB will play a part.
We need to score early score often.

May 23, 2024 10:06 am

Mitch…of course, it matters! The National Cup Final against our biggest rivals!! I’m looking to win and win handsomely, add to our trophy count, add to their misery. There won’t be many supporters on Saturday on either side who think the game doesn’t mean much!

Sunnyside
May 23, 2024 10:28 am

Is the thug Lundstrum suspended for Saturday ?

May 23, 2024 10:35 am

Sunnyside…Lundstrum is available! The question is will Monsieur Flop start him! I think he’s got to start him as he’s their most experienced midfielder, and despite his own goal and red against us, is most likely to keep whatever shape Flop goes with.

May 23, 2024 10:39 am

McCaff,

they will turn on the big Belgian waffle if he starts Lungestrum and we horse them.

I think things are much worse over there than we are being told.

May 23, 2024 10:42 am

BAD…oh please, please, please let it be! 🤣🤣🤣

Just Sayin’
May 23, 2024 10:46 am

Crikey, how fretful are some of the good denizens of SC concerning Cup Final day?

The usual suspects worrying about circumstances they can have no control over? Consumed by nervous thoughts about that nasty VAR man?
Recent interventions haven’t stopped us yet.
Enjoy the day, it’s what football is supposed to be for! A Cup final and another trophy to add to our haul.

I’d say the odds favour a horsing of the Hun more than any other result, but … sometimes over a specific 90 odd minutes shit happens.
Our own shortcomings are more than likely to cause us problems rather than the skill set of the opposition.

Things smell bad over there. Their own fans are destroying their team. One they think has collectively chucked it.
Fullbacks that can be rinsed by fast attacking play.
Positionally poor, cumbersome centre halves that get dragged out of position covering said fullbacks, and struggle with quick thinking forwards.
A sundry mix of slow defensive and ineffective attacking mids that do neither job particularly well and contribute little in terms of goal scoring threat.
A single focal point attacker, with little service from wide positions, often isolated by his distant midfield, who has barely registered anything on target bar a badly defended headed goal scored from
2 yards in the last game.

Undefeated against them this season yet still some worry.
The only stat they really matters is in four games we outscore them 8-5 (on shots on target 23-12.)

Saturday would be a grand time to rub in this advantage by being more clinical.
A 3/4-0 in a Cup Final is a doing.
A proper doing ( like a British Cup Final record) is the stuff of dreams.

And with victory the double benefit of sending the scrofulous Horde into depression over a glorious summer. We won’t totally end them but can put them into a tailspin.

A perfect finale to a difficult but overwhelmingly rewarding season.
One of the best ever league victories given the season obstacles.
And the most financially significant.

May 23, 2024 10:52 am

McCaff,

We will have 70% possession but somehow we will commit more fouls and receive more cards.

But for the officials, I’d be betting on us winning by 3 or 4.

Walsh and Beaton are the only names I fear.

Jimtim
May 23, 2024 10:54 am

The weaknesses highlighted have been present for a few seasons with us now , we have all witnessed the goals we’ve lost from high balls punted to our back posts , really can’t understand why we don’t buy big . When ange left and we were manager less at that time if you recall MON was turning up at the park ,doing interviews , delivering the cups up the Celtic way I thought I wonder if he is coming back ,we had IMHO under Martin O’Neil the second best side in Celtic’s history . They were a big unit of a team with some tough bhoys in it ,something we very much lack at present . Yes we have some talented players in midfield but not one with any dig ,and mark my words we will see on Saturday where the Belgian will take aim . We have been told by ex h#ns who and where to stifle us ,we will witness there bootboys being physical in our engine room . Since broonie left we haven’t had a combatant midfielder a huge miss for me , take into account the hand picked var official and the sevco employee in the centre winning this cup won’t be a cakewalk Allan’s last hurrah into the bargain ,yes it will be tricky for us ,but hope springs eternal. HH

May 23, 2024 10:56 am

JIMBO67 859

Great comment. And aye,I remember 1972/73 very well too,particularly the cup final. Not that I was allowed to go that day,must have been on the naughty step!

May 23, 2024 11:05 am

JUSTSAYIN

Scrofulous. There’s a word I’ve not seen for a while-and only ever on sites like this!

May 23, 2024 11:12 am

Jimtim,

Adding a physical presence would be my no1 priority this summer.

Big keeper
Big unit to play alongside CCV
Proper DM in the Wanyama mould.

The rest would take care of itself.

Just Sayin’
May 23, 2024 11:14 am

Plagiarised from a long standing blog contributor.
Worthy of reintroduction I thought!

B A D

Physical left back required also.

Last edited 1 month ago by Just Sayin’
Billy Bhoy
May 23, 2024 11:19 am

Bobby,

I’ll be very angry if we lose due to our deficiencies at left back. If they play Sima up against Taylor it could be a tense afternoon.

There is an obvious solution to this in playing Scales at LB and Nawrocki at CB with CCV. Why this hasn’t been explored all season is utterly beyond me and I accept its very unlikely to be utilized tomorrow.

That said, the huns are one of the few teams that have failed to take advantage of our left sided weakness so perhaps I’m worrying unnecessarily!

Generally speaking I won’t be losing any sleep over tomorrow. It should be a comfortable win if we turn up and if this game was part of the Superbru competition I’d be agonising over going for 3-0 or 4-0.

I’m sure I don’t need to remind you all that I got a silver medal in that particular competition! 😉

If I’m right it will bring the curtain down very nicely to my 10 days here in Portugal!

May 23, 2024 11:37 am

Just sayin’

Not sure how I managed to forget that!

If be happy for Greg to be someone’s back up.

As you say, someone with a more physical presence …

Like a KT? Mmmm

Just Sayin’
May 23, 2024 11:57 am

B A D

Would like to think we are looking at a substantial spend to fill those four key positions but with this investment averse board who knows.

Add to the list a CF.

SteveNaive
May 23, 2024 12:39 pm

Fabio Cannavaro is 5’ 7”

May 23, 2024 12:53 pm

Losing goals from the left back position, is not new.
This has been happening for the last 3 seasons. A new left back is required.
It’s not all about height. You need to be physically strong and we have too many players who are not

Last edited 1 month ago by St tams
May 23, 2024 1:10 pm

Good afternoon friends.
I meant to post this link on Tuesday as it ties into Ranges(RIP)’s trophy haul which includes 53.5 league titles. It’s actually a good read and if only the inaugural committee had actually the considered the possibility of what to do if teams finished level on points then they’d only have had 53 titles!
A decent wee 5 minute read

May 23, 2024 1:18 pm

And following on from that, may I remind you all again –
The domestic trophy hauls are currently as follows –
Sevco: 1 League, 1 Scottish Cup, 1 League Cup, TOTAL 3
Rangers: 53½ Leagues, 33 Scottish Cups, 27 League Cups, TOTAL 113½
The 2 Ibrox clubs combined have 116.5
Celtic have 54 Leagues, 41 Scottish Cups, 21 League Cups, a total of 116.
Apart from those that remain blind to the truth that our next opponents are a new club, Celtic are already a couple of trophies ahead of what Rangers ever achieved.
Winning the cup on Saturday would be our 117th trophy, leaving us unarguably as Scotlands most successful club.

May 23, 2024 2:25 pm

Jobo,

Too true.

Noticed the number of Celtic sites dedicated to repeating the lie all day, every day?

One site is at the eighth part of a series called Brendan Rodgers v Ragers.

And yet, Brendan has never faced Ragers, that would be impossible! Repeat a lie often enough, eh?

Just keep ridiculing those telling the truth and pretty soon no one will.

The lie becomes the entry into the history books.

Incredible.

Big packy
May 23, 2024 2:25 pm

Morning all and JIm and Magua the only thing l fear about Saturday is set pieces and corners other than that we should hammer them 👍

May 23, 2024 5:12 pm

Evening all,

My team for Saturday

Joe,

AJ,CCV, Liam, Greg

Matt, Reo, Captain,

James, Kyogo, Maeda

Prediction

4 – 1

HH 💚💚💚

May 23, 2024 5:30 pm

LEGGY

I’ll gladly settle for that side,but I’ll go easy on the predictions in case ATHINGOFBEAUTY finds out!

Magua
May 23, 2024 5:41 pm

Big Packy

I ken what ye mean. Oh aye, wee bit of good news. I am now home. Yippee. First 🍺 in a while will be getting sunk shortly.

Hail Hail.

May 23, 2024 5:52 pm

MAGUA great news, what time is the bar open,,another true story.LOL 😂

May 23, 2024 5:53 pm

MAGUA

Congratulations,mate. Enjoy your recuperation!

Magua
May 23, 2024 6:04 pm

Big Packy

Any time you like, Packy. 😁

Cheers. That’s nearly a month without a pint. Hopefully, the bhoys will do the biz on Saturday. Wouldn’t that be something else?

Hail Hail.

Bigrailroadblues
May 23, 2024 6:08 pm

Magua
I’m in the Laurieston. Where are you and I’ll be right over.

Magua
May 23, 2024 6:11 pm

BRRB

😂

Hail Hail.

May 23, 2024 6:13 pm

MAGUA

A month without a pint? A month without a pint,a cruel and unnatural punishment.

Magua
May 23, 2024 6:18 pm

Indeed it is.

Hail Hail.

May 23, 2024 7:39 pm

Magua,

Enjoy! 🍀🍀

petec
May 23, 2024 7:39 pm

It is highly unlikely but Celtic 5 Newco 0 is prominent in my mind.

Even if we get beat, highly doubt that (it is a Cup game though) we Won the League again.

11:30 @ Reardons before the game American Pool games if anyone wants to drop in. I have the table for 2 David Gowers. Aidan is Scarily good at potting balls so I need to play a different game against him EVERY Time.

San Luis
May 23, 2024 7:44 pm

On the subject of abstaining, through choice or otherwise…

I avoid drinking during the week and only consume at weekends , but does anyone else take longer breaks off it or just wait till Lent?

Also, I struggle with pints nowadays, so bottles are better. Can’t do spirits.

Has anyone else’s relationship with drink changed as they’ve gotten older?

emusanorphan
May 23, 2024 7:47 pm

Anyone been to Menorca and seen a game on TV? I’m staying in Mahon and hoping to find somewhere to watch the game on Saturday?

Magua
May 23, 2024 7:55 pm

BAD

Will do. 👍

San Luis

Started off on lager. Progressively moved onto 70/-, 80/-, then Guinness. Back to lager, these days. Go figure. A fine Belgian or German lager goes down a treat. As does a cheeky wee wheat beer, on occasion.

May 23, 2024 8:00 pm

Tuning in to a very wet Kirkcaldy.
Bit different from yesterday’s glamour Europa Cup Final.😊
Cheatin’ Beaton in the middle.