The Bitterest Pill

A big day ahead,folks. The last game of the season,a cup final against our hated rival. A chance to complete another double. To win our 117th major trophy. Etc,etc,etc. The big thing is simply to win tomorrow,end the season on a high and avoid throwing the huns a lifebelt to see them through the summer without a civil war.

The first thing though is to avoid playing as poorly as we did in last season’s final against ICT. No offence at all to the opposition on the day,but we played very poorly that day. I don’t doubt that were we to play as badly as that tomorrow,even the current currants would walk away with the trophy. We have to avoid that scenario.

Of the players that started that day,only Starfelt and Jota are no longer with us. Of the five subs,only James Forrest takes a regular place. Oh is largely invisible these days,and Abada and Turnbull have gone. Haksabanovic is on loan but likely to return next season. Or to put it another way,all sixteen players who are likely to take the pitch for us tomorrow were with us a year ago,with the exception of Idah. For the manager to be on the brink of a double while playing the rump of someone else’s side should be recognised as a considerable achievement in itself.

That this has been forced on him by an expensive and entirely failed transfer policy implemented by non-footballing people within our club should be seen for what it is-an insult to the manager and the fans.  We should take heart that the failure has been recognised and will not happen again,but history tells us that it will. Just as soon as Lawwell thinks that the dust has settled on the last time,and that everyone has taken their eye off the ball.

That’s for us to concern ourselves with in the future though. Tomorrow is about the here and now. For the players to go into the summer with a smile,knowing that most of them can have a relaxing time of it for about six weeks. For the fans to go into the summer with a heady combination of cheesy grins,knowing smirks to our hun neighbours-and maybe a few hangovers. For the huns and their hangers-on,there will be only a summer of recrimination,blaming and shaming.

Who said that the magic of the cup is dead? Win tomorrow and you can take it from me,it’ll be effing magic,all right! How do we do that? Leave it to the manager to figure out and for the players to implement. Lock it up at the back,paying particular attention to being hit wide on the break. Nail it down in the midfield by stifling every pass,pressing every opponent,tackling everything that moves. Hammer it home up front,with our massive advantage in pace and incision.

Win every personal battle. Own every inch of the pitch. Send a few out-of-contract opponents out the door in tears. Send a few others home to consider their future. Send all the hun fans home wondering what they just saw,wondering how they could be so deluded-as usual-by a con man,a blundering Belgian whose mental and motivational strength has visibly wilted inside a few short weeks. Who wanted every credit for their anticipated success,but is unwilling and unable to accept his responsibility for another season of expensive failure,this time having outspent us for the first time since the “glory days” of Minty and Sir Cardigan. And see where that got them.

You see,that’s the thing about tomorrow. It really is,for once,all about the opposition. Or to put it another way,tomorrow is much more important to them than to us. If we win,we win another double. But if we lose,so what? The league is always the objective,the cups are only the icing on the cake. And without the cake in the first place,the icing is fairly irrelevant. For Celtic,and especially this season,winning only the Scottish Cup would be seen as a disaster. And rightly so,too. For the huns,winning the cup is the chance to pretend that all in the garden is rosy,innit? Especially as they won the league cup too,because that means they won a double,see?

Aye,so did St Johnstone three years ago. And that DID count as a success for what is,after all,a provincial club. Still fired their manager not long afterwards though.

I expect BR to start with his current preferred eleven which includes James Forrest. He is a direct threat up front,as we know. But he also knows how to track back,and unlike such as Palma and Kuhn in particular,can do so without getting booked for jersey pulling. I think Nawrocki played well last week,but it would be criminal to deny Liam Scales his place. Idah will trample all over their defence,he was unplayable last week against Kilmarnock,but Kyogo scares them rigid. He loves scoring against them-and they know it! As for the pace of Maeda,apart from the sadistic pleasure he takes in tracking them down from nowhere,he just revels in burning past Tavpen and Co at every opportunity. I bet Tav’s barred his kids from watching Roadrunner and Speedy Gonzales cartoons on the telly. And from using Duracell batteries.

In short,on Saturday at Hampden we come to bury the huns not to praise them. The media will erase the title from their memories if they win,tell us all what a wonderful bunch of players they possess. That Tik Tok Barbie is the New Pele. Silva the New Messi. Dessers the New Ibrahimovic. Most of all,they will tell themselves that Clement is now the best manager EVER. Just like Caixinha and Warburton before him. Just like GVB and Beale too,in fact. Lose,and everyone connected with that defeat is forever tainted with failure. Shoogly pegs will be the order of the day.

We don’t need to win tomorrow to have had a successful season. We’ve already had a successful season without adding the cup on top. But winning tomorrow means something else as well,it means that by no rational measure can even their greatest cheerleaders dress this season up as a success for the Ibrox mob. And I know that I said that winning this title would count amongst the sweetest,but winning this double might just be the bitterest pill that mob have had to swallow yet. And for me,that’s as good a reason as any to go out there and smack them senseless.

Notify of
May 24, 2024 12:55 am

VIVE LE RESOLUTION!!!!

You can read our article on a resolution for improving refereeing standards here.
Join the growing numbers of our readers who have had enough of referees In hun scarves.

May 24, 2024 12:55 am

The Sentinel Celts Charity Drive has nominated Blood Cancer UK as the recipient for funds for the six months to 31/07/2024,and we are getting close to achieving our LATEST TARGET.
We have set up a GoFundMe page for those who have some spare cash to donate,even from a lucky windfall or finding a tenner in the street.
Click on the link for more details,including how to donate.
Please give generously to a very deserving cause. Although our first targets have now been achieved-and many thanks for your generosity!-we can always hope to do more.

May 24, 2024 12:56 am

JOBO POTY Competition.

sencelpoty@gmail.com

Let’s go out on a high,folks. Give JOBO a difficult Sunday evening having to count all our votes!

Last edited 1 month ago by BOBBY MURDOCH’S CURLED-UP WINKLEPICKERS
May 24, 2024 12:58 am
May 24, 2024 1:07 am
May 24, 2024 1:15 am

Smashing lead article, Bobby. Sums up my own feelings exactly. Agree a win is not critical, but still want it badly to outstrip their two club trophy aggregate, and just because it’s them!

Any chance of you being in Glesga in October?
Iniquitous IV😊

May 24, 2024 1:20 am

Thats doubtful,mate. But not impossible. Pretty sure though that Kilwinning will still be represented if you are available.

May 24, 2024 1:29 am

I’d be delighted to meet again the Honorable Representative from Kilwinning.
I’m getting my arm twisted already about attending a Shipbank soiree.🤣
I’ll PM you when travel plans firm up to keep CCB in the picture.
Iniquitous IV😊

Last edited 1 month ago by INIQUITOUS IV
Just Sayin’
May 24, 2024 6:13 am

A fair assessment of tomorrow’s battleground.
Keep their full backs occupied and a significant element of their attacking strength is nullified.
Their lumpen defenders are no match for speed and skill.
Their midfield subtlety relies on attempting to stifle our creativity. They have little of their own.
Set pieces are the danger to us.

Clement is desperate enough to select players he claims are not 100% fit.
The guy is nuts. Knives are out for the Belgian if he gets this wrong.
Whether they can afford to ditch him is another matter.
A summer of discord over there will be hilarious to watch.

Go get them Celtic from the off and this time be a bit more clinical please.

San Luis
May 24, 2024 6:18 am

All I asked was to be Champions, again.

We got that, but victory tomorrow would represent something different, a sign that we’re doing better than anticipated and building something bigger than domestic bliss. And, that with proper investment we could be going places.

A defeat would be horrible, but again, provide confirmation that we’re needing big investments to take us to a much higher level. The main downside though would be handing the Huns a trophy and hearing their hubris for the next 4 months. It would restore their confidence and change their loser mindsets. It’d be a long summer for certain.

Just win Celtic, that’s the bottom line.

KTF.

Just Sayin’
May 24, 2024 6:37 am

S L

Whilst a win for the Huns would create a lot of noise and distraction, I agree that we mustn’t let a defeat, or particularly a win for us, deflect from a summer of quality recruitment.
The funds already exist and future earnings in the multi millions are assured.

The Abada/Turnbull windfall alone is the equivalent of one significant signing.
A further three/ four and we might actually show signs of ambition.

emusanorphan
May 24, 2024 7:09 am

Anyone been to Menorca and seen a game on TV? I’m staying in Mahon and hoping to find somewhere to watch the game on Saturday?

May 24, 2024 8:18 am

Good morning friends and a Big Happy Friday Cup Final Eve to all who post or lurk on this fine site.

Last edited 1 month ago by Jobo Baldie
May 24, 2024 9:13 am

Great article Bobby, exactly sums up my thoughts .
My late old man used to say.

The Scottish Cup only matters , if it’s sitting alongside the league trophy

Last edited 1 month ago by St tams
May 24, 2024 9:22 am

ST TAMS

Your Dad was a wise man.

May 24, 2024 9:22 am

Man U Legends v Celtic Legends, Charity Match,Old Trafford in September

May 24, 2024 9:28 am

BADABING

Will Sutton and Beckham line up just for old times sake?

May 24, 2024 9:51 am

Whilst I agree that the League Title is the main domestic prize every season, I don’t regard the Scottish Cup as just a bonus. Having started in 1873-74 it is the 2nd oldest competition in world football (the English FA Cup began 2 years earlier). The trophy itself is the oldest in world football.
Celtic are by far the most successful club with our 41 wins. The clubs that are currently closest to catching us are Queens Park (10 wins) and Hearts (8 wins). The club that has won it the 2nd highest number of times (34) passed away 12 years ago.
Unlike down south, there is no evidence in Scotland that any of the top teams devalue the competition and generally play their top players even in the earlier rounds. Yes, some of the ‘easier’ home draws allow game time for our fringe players. But look at our starting 11 against Buckie Thistle – Hart, Johnston, Nawrocki, Scales, Taylor, Holm, O’Riley, Bernardo, Abada, Kyogo, Palma. That’s not far off our full strengh as CCV and Calum were both injured, I think.
So I do think that the competition is still regarded as hugely important. Personally I ALWAYS watch the Cup Final, even when Celtic didn’t feature. It marks the end of the domestic season and remains a highlight on my football calendar each year.
And tomorrow one team is hoping for it’s 42nd win whilst the other is trying to double it’s current total!

Last edited 1 month ago by Jobo Baldie
May 24, 2024 9:59 am

When I was a kid, the Scottish cup seemed like a massive deal.
Some of my happiest Celtic memories surround winning the cup on glorious sunny Hampden days.
I want to win badly! But not just win ..embarrass them!!
Right from the first whistle, go for the jugular.
Let’s deal out another large does of karma to the cheating c@nts!!

A Thing Of Beauty
May 24, 2024 10:15 am

Just sayin,
I too could not believe what I was reading when the Belgian Waffle started talking about players taking injections. I thought those days were long gone.
I have a strange sense of calm about tomorrow. All I can say is it’s worrying!!

May 24, 2024 10:40 am

Paqueta and his pal at Betis used to get booked together as a double, a Reading player got banned in 2022 for 10 years for ‘spot fixing ‘,deliberately yellow carded

May 24, 2024 10:45 am

ATHINGOFBEAUTY

Players taking injections just to get through a game are storing up problems for the future. Hell mend them.

May 24, 2024 10:45 am

BADABING

If he’s guilty and that can be proved,he is screwed.

Fan
May 24, 2024 10:49 am

Anyone can win on a given day.
Huns have called up big pharma plus Walsh and Beaton to give them a helping hand.
Celtic are a superior football side with better players so should triumph.
But Scottish football rarely represents a fair sporting competition so as Auldheid says we shall see?

Last edited 1 month ago by Fan
May 24, 2024 10:54 am

EMUSANORPHAN

I’ve asked around,but only suggestion is via Celticbars.

Sixty One Irish Pub,
Ave los Defines,
Iles Balears.

Billy Bhoy
May 24, 2024 11:02 am

Bobby

Another excellent start to the day! 👏👏👏

I loved the cake analogy. Lets just hope the huns don’t scrape the icing off our cake. However, if they do, it only temporarily stops us overtaking their joint trophy haul. We’ll still have the cake – stuffed with all those lovely ingredients: 8 guaranteed CL games and tens of millions of Euros! I can’t wait to taste a slice of that! 😉

A Thing Of Beauty
May 24, 2024 11:05 am

Just finished watching BR’s press conference from yesterday. A couple of notes for me. He took great pleasure in referring to our players professionalism on and off the park, clearly well aware of what Cantwell has been posting during the week. He also spoke very highly of Idah, his contribution and how he can only improve in the future. I think he may try to sign him in the summer. I have to say I’m not so sure. The killie performance was his only good game in the last 6 or 7. He was awful in the cup semi but I trust BR and if he wants him then let’s get it done nice and early.

May 24, 2024 11:14 am

Unfortunately a bhoy can’t make the game tomorrow so I’ve got a ticket.

Only managed to get to two previous Scottish cup finals against the huns, 1977 and the famous 1980. Won both 1:0 , I’ll take that tomorrow.

Oh and still coming off that bloody ticket scheme for next season, had enough of that shite.

May 24, 2024 11:18 am

FAN

Thats the problem with cup games. Screw up on the day,get a bad decision against you,maybe an injury and it’s game over and no comeback. We certainly can’t take anything for granted.

SteveNaive
May 24, 2024 11:27 am

ST money out today.
Death, taxes, ST.

May 24, 2024 1:19 pm

Everyone so relaxed they’ve went for a siesta?

Magua
May 24, 2024 1:20 pm

Excellent lead article, BMCUW.

I’ve always loved the Scottish Cup, since attending my first final in 1972. It’s the whole romance of the occasion that gets to me. The FA cup lost that sense of occasion long ago, more’s the pity.

My view of tomorrow? I’d really love to win, and win well. If we don’t, it will hurt for a day or two. That’s all. We have already won the competition that we all craved this season. That matters. A great deal. Ask any Hun, if ye don’t believe me.

As for our history in the competition? As Jobo points out, we are record winners. This is our trophy. Even in seasons when our league season has been poor, the Scottish Cup has provided moment of great drama, to cheer us all up. Most notably, in 1965. Everything that followed stemmed from that victory. I remember with great fondness, the cup finals of 1985 and 1989. Arguably, the 1995 cup final between Celtic and Airdrie, was one of the worst of all time. At the time though, that victory was celebrated with great enthusiasm. Tommy Burns only trophy as manager. Can’t quite recall, was ‘The Maestro’ captain that afternoon?

To all those going to the game tomorrow, I hope you will have another piece of Celtic history, to share with family and friends, for years to come.

To weaker brethren like myself, who will be absolutely bricking it tomorrow, I feel your pain. 😜

Mon The Hoops. ☘️🍀

Hail Hail.

Last edited 1 month ago by Magua
May 24, 2024 1:44 pm

Magua,

The maestro was capt in 95

May 24, 2024 2:06 pm

MAGUA

1972 was a good year for your debut. It was my first Scottish cup final too. I reckon we’d both settle for the same scoreline as that day!

A Thing Of Beauty
May 24, 2024 2:19 pm

Wee day off today and plans cancelled so having some spare time I thought I’d watch a bit of countdown for old times sake. Bmcuwp and myself were avid competitors back in the day. Anyway I digress. Turns it on and off they go to dictionary corner and who’s not sitting there but Pat Nevin. Aff. Just need to watch my curb your enthusiasm.

May 24, 2024 2:21 pm

ATHINGOFBEAUTY

Haw,that’s not an effing word-get the dictionary oot!

Magua
May 24, 2024 2:34 pm

BAD

Cheers, mate. Wasn’t sure. 👍

I’ll settle for a cheeky wee 1-0 win, but 6-1 would be nice.

Hail Hail.

San Luis
May 24, 2024 2:39 pm

ATOB

Curb is the best TV ever, Larry David is a genius. Leon and Suzie are brilliant characters.

Just Sayin’
May 24, 2024 2:43 pm

A t o b

Nevin appears in Bbc documentary Pitch Invasion- pretentious little prat. Achieved the square route of bugger all in his career.
Brian McClair sees right through him:
“says he got a degree from University- naw, he didnae!”

Jimtim
May 24, 2024 3:19 pm

Great lead mick . Especially this bit .

That this has been forced on him by an expensive and entirely failed transfer policy implemented by non-footballing people within our club should be seen for what it is-an insult to the manager and the fans. We should take heart that the failure has been recognised and will not happen again,but history tells us that it will. Just as soon as Lawwell thinks that the dust has settled on the last time,and that everyone has taken their eye off the ball.. nail on head pal . I said on here a few weeks ago I wasn’t renewing my long held ST , but I would have missed following the bhoys , but we fans should send a shot to the interfering C e o / chairman that he does his job and leave Brendan TO DO HIS , he got lucky this time dont chance it again .

May 24, 2024 4:26 pm

Barca fire xavi (seemingly, after encouraging him to stay on), and replace him with former Bayern and Germany coach, Hansi Flick.

Big packy
May 24, 2024 4:37 pm

Afternoon all and JIm and magua have you sobered up yet 😊😊 as regards Idah he is no better than oh FFS let’s spend some money in the summer I’m fed up seeing us getting horsed in Europe another true story 😊😊👍

May 24, 2024 4:38 pm

MIKEINTORONTO

Thats a strange one,right enough. There are a lot of big clubs which managers would be well advised not to touch.

Big packy
May 24, 2024 4:42 pm

Mit hi mike did you see that photo of the pack I posted last week👍

May 24, 2024 4:48 pm

The Australian All Stars simply destroyed Newcastle 8-0 yesterday. I know it was Eddie Howe’s reserve team, and experience trumped youth, but it was still an avoidable marketing and public relations disaster.

We have to be careful to avoid a similar scenario on July 20 when we play DC United on artificial turf in what is likely to be around 38C with really high humidity. The last time we played United, it was the reverse situation. They played their B team, some around 16 or 17, and humiliated an experienced Celtic team 4-0. It was not a pleasant experience listening to Yanks around us saying, ( and I quote ) “Geez, these Celtics are crap.”

I hope Brendan, who presumably will have a much changed side, takes this game seriously, as with Man City and Chelski to follow, it does not get any easier. This is a marketing opportunity to get Celtic more US followers. Yanks follow winners. The EPL is masterful at marketing, and support over here for Arsenal, Chelski and Man City over here has simply mushroomed since 2021.

The last game of the EPL season, with half the pub watching Arsenal and the other half Man City, had the pub at capacity, with overflows watching the games from the parking lot. And I venture to guess that at least 75% of these fan bases had no familial association with either London or Manchester, or had ever visited either. The game is changing, and we need to adapt, or we will end up as irrelevant flotsam and jetsam.
Iniquitous IV😊

May 24, 2024 4:51 pm

BP

Seamus says hello

IMG_0538
May 24, 2024 4:57 pm

mike great photo.have a look at this

The-boys
AweNaw
May 24, 2024 5:01 pm

Showing both finals here. 20 min taxi ride from Mahon

Irish Bar OBrave’s. Calan Porter-Menorca can find it on Facebook

Last edited 1 month ago by AweNaw
May 24, 2024 5:08 pm

BP

I missed that photo the first time you posted it. Great photo. Thanks for sharing that.

May 24, 2024 5:23 pm

MIKE glad you liked it 👍