Worthy Winners

Don’t be fooled by the prevailing narrative in the SMSM,lickspittles to the last. Celtic were the worthy winners on Saturday,and for people who make their living from the game to claim otherwise is a typically sad indictment of the quality of sports journalism in Scotland.

I said last week that the final would be all about our opposition on the day. That it mattered so much more to them than it did to us. Having already trailed in a poor second in the league,they NEEDED to win on Saturday to be able to project even the most unconvincing patina of a feel-good factor into the summer. Even I couldn’t predict that their need would be so great as to simply claim another moral victory and march into the break with their heads held high,defiant and supremacist to the last.

The immediate post-match fallout was bad enough; we can put that down to the heat of the moment,a fiery passion which dulls with the time it takes to realise that it was a fair result on the day. They clutch to their straws,same as it ever was,of outplaying us. Of being robbed of a perfectly good goal. Of being denied a clear penalty for Scales’ push on Dessers. Of,well,anything really. That’s what straws are for when you are drowning.

Games aren’t won by stats. They are won by goals,by moments of individual brilliance,a moment of madness from a defender or goalkeeper. But even the stats will tell you who deserved to win,who had most shots on target,made the most passes,made the game ours when it mattered. Sure,there was a period from around 40-80 minutes when both teams were just stifling each other-but that meant that neither side was on top at that stage! The first half was mainly ours,ineffectual as we were,the last few minutes had our ribbons bedecking the trophy. So please tell me how any of that equates to R2ngers being the better team throughout,or bossing the game for the 89 minutes it took us to score?

It’s perfectly understandable for the R2ngers manager to tell the world that his team,though beaten,were better on the day. Managers do that,it’s for public consumption. Perfectly understandable too that the players should attempt to make the same point. Personally,I always thought you were meant to congratulate the winner-even through gritted teeth-and move on,start planning your revenge.

That,as we know,is not in the Ibrox psyche. The hun mentality just wasn’t built to cope with such concepts as fair play. Their fans will tell you that is what they are,what makes them who they are. Sadly,I have to agree.

This is a fan base who cannot accept defeat to a better team on the day. Any day! Always cheated,never defeated. Even John Beaton,of all people,was getting it in the neck from them for having the temerity to point out that a blatant shove on the keeper just as he is about to jump for the ball is just not allowed. But we expect that too. What we also expect,but shouldn’t have to,is that the fanboys in the media continue to peddle the same comforting lies. And given that one or two of them had recently begun questioning Clement’s record,it might be worth considering why that should be.

My thoughts on it are that they were told that they can’t afford to sack Clement and his team-I’ve seen a figure of £9m put on that-and they can’t afford a close season of unrest from the fans. Especially of the type that decides all of their players and the manager are rubbish and need to go. Full scale rebuild required,etc. Because the one thing that they absolutely CANNOT afford is just that,a full-scale rebuild.

So tell the troops that Butland was Player of the Year,and that was his first mistake. That Tavernier had his best game against Maeda. Yilmaz was outstanding. Balogun and Davies commanding. Tell them that their five man midfield vastly outplayed ours and dictated the tempo. And that Dessers stifled CalMac all game,despite being subbed at half time. Invent different worlds where Cantwell was MOTM,the officials grotesquely biased against them,and that…

Next season will be different!

The only people they are fooling are themselves,but they are cool with that. It’s what they do. Harsh reality always has some outside factor,like The Unseen Fenian Hand which pulls the strings for all of Scottish football,and for all I know,all of Scottish society. Let them stew in their own hatred,drown in their own hubris. For here’s a few simple and very unwelcome truths for them.

We screwed up our transfer windows,yet by using two loan players and the rump of last season’s squad we won the league by eight points. Moral victories notwithstanding. We won the cup,which gave us our 21st double. We played them five times,winning four and drawing once-which means that they haven’t beaten us all season,not even once. In fact,not once did they get their noses in front in those five games against us,and they were ahead in the league for about four weeks. It’s bloody hard going,trying to find a crumb of comfort in there for them,much less the moral victory that they are claiming.

This season,everything should have been in their favour. Their summer spending spree compares favourably to our own shambolic efforts. We lost four top players from our squad,they got rid of Kent and Morelos. They got a new manager in October who swiftly put together a decent run of form. Until they met us,of course!

They still couldn’t do it. So they need something positive to carry into the summer,and in the absence of genuine positives they fall back,as they always do,on fabricated grievances. A case of knowing your audience,I reckon. And they know them well. As I said last week,this final was always about them.

And what about us? Well,as I mentioned earlier,our midfield got stifled for too long and we made surprisingly few chances. The likes of Kyogo,Reo and Matt were offering little threat-even if we should have had at least one penalty. The defence was coping really well,but up front was not so much. But as the great Brian Clough said,it only takes a second to score a goal. Bernardo shot at the end of a driving run and Idah scored the winner. Game over bar the shouting-and the inevitable ten minutes of added time.

Should we try to sign Bernardo and Idah? A topic for another day,even if I’m inclined favourably towards such an outcome. We know what they can do,and they know what they can expect. Decisions like that are what will occupy our summer,along with a few more signings and a mass clearout of our usual accumulated dross. For that is just another difference in mentality between us and them. We know we need to improve,and we fully expect that to happen. Yes,even though we won the double. They hold firmly to their belief that they are simply the best,and they just need to keep doing what they’ve been doing to be successful.

Of course,if they really want to know the secret to being successful,they should look across the city. To us. Nineteen trophies out of the last twenty four. And more trophies than any other club in the country. Oh,and did I mention the double? Hmmm,maybe best not mention that over there,or any other uncomfortable facts. They’ve got a marching season to think about!

Notify of
May 27, 2024 11:02 pm

VIVE LE RESOLUTION!!!!

You can read our article on a resolution for improving refereeing standards here.
Join the growing numbers of our readers who have had enough of referees In hun scarves.

Last edited 1 month ago by BOBBY MURDOCH’S CURLED-UP WINKLEPICKERS
May 27, 2024 11:03 pm

The Sentinel Celts Charity Drive has nominated Blood Cancer UK as the recipient for funds for the six months to 31/07/2024,and we are getting close to achieving our LATEST TARGET.
We have set up a GoFundMe page for those who have some spare cash to donate,even from a lucky windfall or finding a tenner in the street.
Click on the link for more details,including how to donate.
Please give generously to a very deserving cause. Although our first targets have now been achieved-and many thanks for your generosity!-we can always hope to do more.

petec
May 27, 2024 11:05 pm

Michael – That is really gonnae hurt Newo.

Brendan will demand players in a few positions to elevate us.

I wish you were there!!!

petec
May 27, 2024 11:07 pm

Newo….. You Know Newco

Magua
May 27, 2024 11:30 pm

Excellent stuff. I hope that we will win our 55th league flag next season, but as always, take nothing for granted. If we do, it will be a real ’55’.

Hail Hail.

May 27, 2024 11:34 pm

First class lead article, Bobby. You don’t pull any punches, mate, and you are right on the money. Let Sevco win the Close Season Cup, but we need to tend to our own rebuild tout de suite.

Brendan has had a full season to evaluate players, and he has expressed already the attributes we need. I bloody hope the Board don’t think, “Job done, we have enough in the tank.”

They actually owe Brendan a massive debt. If the Huns had won the treble, the transfer windows fiasco would have come back to bite them in the arse, and as a sage poster said months ago, “We’re gonna need a bigger car park.” So I bet there is a huge sense of relief prevailing at Board level. It needs to translate to giving their trophy winning manager what he needs. I am really curious as to who has been doing scouting since Dudgeon and the scion of Lawwell left the building, and who they have targeted.
Iniquitous IV😊

Margaret McGill
May 28, 2024 1:52 am

I suspect Brendan’s summary to the board will be(with question marks):

1. Nice turnover?
  2. EPL fodder?
  3. Europe if yer lucky?
  4. Whit are the Huns daein?
petec
May 28, 2024 2:11 am

I hope yer wrang Mags and I Hope you and yer Bro are in fine form over and Over the Summer months.

It wiz a mad wan on the Danny McGrain frae G Central to Dumbarton Central and I was on my own!!!!!!

petec
May 28, 2024 2:30 am

annihilating rhythm

It is a dance track…….

I was there -well physicallly!!!!!!

Don’t ask about the time I went to the bog.

I’ve been to Bigger and, IMHO, better Raves but Ultrasoniic were Superb on that night.

I must have seen them 10 times @ the Metro Saltcoats but that was their best performance (IMHO)

petec
May 28, 2024 2:36 am

A real Detroit hardcore BadBhoy – English tae. Quality isnae the Mae West.

I was jiggin’ here tae.

If you could possibly call it that!!!!!

Angel

David

petec
May 28, 2024 2:50 am

I know Everyone will say that Blokes a Nutter – they might possibly be ……….

wrong

or possibly right

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJYdpEPbI3Q

petec
May 28, 2024 3:07 am

Bayern brought a fanyastic Support.I was very disappointed by the Real Madrid Support.

Celtic Park it is truly Special.

petec
May 28, 2024 3:24 am

fantastic.

My wee Bro and my Son both said get a new keyboard.

There isnae big button keybiards out there…….. there is wan @ 1800 dollars – that ain’t happening.

Just Sayin’
May 28, 2024 5:23 am

Of the match I rewatched as inevitably passages of play are missed in the melee of the pub.
First half highlights for us were two penalty box incidents involving Kyogo which were completely dismissed by officials and tv as non infringements.
 We had around 70% possession.

First half highlights for the Huns, a couple of corners Joe had to deal with – one a punch from Diomande who was assigned inswingers from their right, the other pushed over from under the bar ( one of the four shots on target they had) from Tavpen firing them in from the left.
Seemed to be their principal threatening tactic.
Absolutely nothing of any significance from them apart from that.

Second half a drudge. See continuation of corner tactic for their disallowed “goal”.
We showed a lot of defensive discipline not to give away any free kicks in dangerous positions.
Statistically we finished the match on 63% possession and equal on shots on target, and a goal to the good but we’re being told they dominated!
Nonsense, of course, but the fact of the matter is they were untroubled til the 90th minute. We took advantage of a mistake, lack of concentration and wide open spaces in their half which allowed Bernardo to run 30 odd metres unimpeded despite Raskin’s attempted foul.

They offered nothing to win that game, and the handwringing aftermath is a classic of reinvention.

Believing this rubbish keeps hope alive amongst the deluded. Good, this notion they were hard done by does not serve them well.

However, I wouldn’t dismiss Clement as a straw man just yet, he will get some sort of rebuild ( again!) underway.
I think the Ibrox hordes are torn between wanting to believe in him and genuinely bemused by him.

We can take nothing for granted next season. Quality recruitment should be a given but BR will have to negotiate with an investment averse Board whose previous decisions indicate a safe, conservative policy of parsimony over progression.
Growth and development seem
alien concepts to the Grey men.

May 28, 2024 7:07 am

Morning all,

Just catching up as it was the old Anniversary yesterday and I was wining and dining Mrs L.

DRM, Chalmersbhoy, Sol,

Great photo from 1983.

I was at that game, also in the Enclosure, but further back

I too recognise, Cob, Spock, and Tommy C.

Great memories 💚💚💚

May 28, 2024 7:44 am

And don’t forget we gave them a 17 year head start.

Make sure and remind all the Huns you know.

Silly Billy!

Fan
May 28, 2024 7:55 am

We know we need to improve,and we fully expect that to happen.
All depends on who gets to make the decision Celtic PLC or Celtic football club?
Short close season so will no soon enough!

Margaret McGill
May 28, 2024 7:59 am

The Sex Pistols God Save the Queen released 47 years ago today.

Bawheid.
May 28, 2024 8:39 am

When big Jock almost died in that awful car crash in 1976, Sean Fallon it was imagined that he would take over from Jock with John Clark, Stevie Chalmers and Neill Mochan’s assistance. Season 1975- 76 was trophy less. So, in their usual sleekit way the board brought in “Fur Coat Davy”, Davie McParland from the Maryhill Magyars. No doubt somebody had Davie in mind after Partick Thistle gave us a good doing previously, 4-1 I think, I kinda blotted that out after the shock of that result.
The Celtic board was the most disloyal and lacked any degree of empathy, that continued of course later on when they disgraced themselves completely in the way that they treated big Jock, a disgraceful shower of……..

I knew Davie McParland from my time at school, he was our PT teacher, a lovely bloke who became and remains a legend at the Thistle. I will always remember the first time that I saw Davie, we were at school camp in Meigle, away from the family and playing fitbaw night and day, sheer bliss. In one game when Davie was the referee, the ball came flashing across our opponents goal I met it first time and scored a screamer, how could you forget that. School fitbaw was my singular joy, the excitement you had playing for your school was one of the few joys in your life. Before I left school I worked part time and then disaster as the Mither found me a job as a hairdresser, I was gutted, but it was always family first fitbaw came way down the list. County Trials dumped.

The school camp in Meigle was just fantastic, freedom for a whole month, mind you I had to go tattie howking to pay for my new breeks in the weeks before. I loved my time at the camp, later on I would see Davie when he attended Mass in Alva. So, “Fur Coat Davie” was a hero to me and when we won the League no doubt with big Jock pulling the strings from behind the scenes, that was I think big Jocks tenth League title. When Jock left, or was pushed out the door by the f#ckers I was gutted, took me years to get over it as I had followed his career from when he was a Celtic player, I/we loved the big man, still do and will always remember with fondness “Fur Coat Davie” and that goal.

Cannot be easy writing dilly daily so thanks for all your time and efforts as we bask in the sun of success…………

fur-coat-davie-7
Madmitch
May 28, 2024 8:43 am

The efforts of the past couple of days have been focused on their support.
Bringing them down gently after another failure.

Saturday was not another 2019 LCF but they are spinning it as such.
They have to — dreams are all they have left and in time they will turn to nightmares.
The process has to be managed.

Their problems was the harder they tried — coming out of their defensive shell — the more likely we were to score and so it turned out.

We need to keep on working — the handball incident was a disgrace.
It would have been a penalty in any other football environment — blatant partisanship in public view.
They should never be allowed to forget that Ludge VAR / Ludge MIB gave it their best shot.

Just a case that they can only do so much to win the battle.
Anymore and they would have lost the war — their ongoing war against us.

Their disallowed goal — they had to call it as they knew that they had already played their “Joker”.
If they had allowed it then the scrutiny of their decisions would have reached “Newsnight”.

May 28, 2024 8:47 am

Good morning, friends and Happy Close Season. Well, for most of you that is, though not for the handful of Scotland supporters on here 😉

Billy Bhoy
May 28, 2024 9:15 am

Absolutely outstanding again Bobby! I was PMSL at some of that! 😂

Like many, I’m absolutely staggered at the revisionism on display by the SMSM.

I watched the game in a bar in the Algarve. My wife and I were the only tims and there was one hun sitting on his own nearby. Our TV commentary was largely drowned out by the competing FA Cup final and larger audience in 75% of the bar. But, from my view, we dominated the first half. It looked like they were simply refusing to come out of their half and risk losing a goal.

I thought after about 20 minutes the pitch was impeding us. It either was sticky or the grass hadn’t been cut short enough to facilitate our slick passing game. Am I right here? A lot of passes appeared underhit and were failing to reach their man.

BTW the hun jumped up when they scored and immediately went outside for a smoke. His face was a picture when he came back in five minutes later and saw that the score was 0-0!

I heard him asking a waiter WTF had happened. They didn’t know. Its a pity he didn’t ask me – I would have been only too happy to explain! 😉

He moved even faster when Butland spilled the shot and big Idah rammed it home!
😂

May 28, 2024 9:33 am

These hun lovin’ refs don’t seem to be getting the appreciation their efforts deserve.

Sometime soon they are gonna start to wonder wether it is all worth it 😊

Durty ungrateful bastards that they are!

Just Sayin’
May 28, 2024 9:46 am

B A D. 7.44

Despite their head start the Huns didn’t win their first Scottish Cup til 1894, two years after us. As a result I believe their name isn’t on the World’s oldest trophy, but ours is.

Of course they famously shared the first league in 1891.

May 28, 2024 9:51 am

JS,

Name just on the plinth, I believe 👍

Just glad I lived long enough to see us overtake both their clubs.

One thing I know for sure, I will not live long enough to see them take the lead ever again.

Hoopy daze! 😉

Just Sayin’
May 28, 2024 10:06 am

I don’t see us slowing down on the trophy haul anytime soon !

San Luis
May 28, 2024 10:08 am

Bobby Murdoch – that was a brilliant read, you’ve captured everything perfectly, as has Just Saying in their post.

I think we can bask in the glory for a week or so and then , as mentioned above, a rebuild of sorts is going to be required.

I don’t think we need that much, indeed two players in Idah and Bernardo are very much of the sort of signings we require. However, GK, FB and possibly another MF or Winger will be required.

In essence 5 players to supplement our current team would take us to the next level. That would be the guts of around £30m, which I think is an acceptable budget for BR. There are a couple of good players in Scotland who , again, represent low risk signings, and we know that BR can coach them to bigger levels.

It’s going to be interesting. But, BR fully deserves to be backed to the hilt for his outstanding efforts this past 3 months especially.

JimDom
May 28, 2024 11:06 am

After three failed attempts to get the better of Brendan Rodgers, Clement had much to ponder over cup final tactics. In the end the Belgian tactical genius decided to release his inner Davie Martindale.

And it worked, with the not-two-nil-down cup now added to all those other trophies resting on his bedside cabinet. Hope Mrs C has plenty of imaginary polish on hand for all those imaginary cups.

In his Balearics summer bolthole, I don’t know how Brendan can sleep at night…..for laughing.

May 28, 2024 11:27 am

Today is exactly 136 years since our great club played their first official match.

A crowd of 2k watch us beat -yes you guessed it- a team in blue from Govan.

The game ended 5-2, with a certain Neil McCallum scoring our first ever goal.

Kevin
May 28, 2024 12:15 pm

Looking at David De G former man u man.

Let’s see.

K

The Real McCoy
May 28, 2024 12:44 pm

Good afternoon Sentinel Celts 👋🏻
Just had a read at P67’s leader on CQN.
Reminded me of a meme I laughed at over the weekend 😂
” Going from ‘World’s most successful’ to not even being Glasgow’s most successful overnight! That’s going to sting.
The indignity of being forced to redecorate because Celtic have won more trophies than you is symptomatic of the mindset which caused Oldco to march off a cliff. They could not deal with playing second fiddle to Celtic to the extent that they gambled ever-higher stakes instead of paying tax bills.”
👏👏👏😂
HH💚🍀

IMG_0792
May 28, 2024 12:45 pm

The hype surrounding Monsieur Flop’s tactics is understandable. He got it right to the extent that he disrupted/stopped Celtic’s preferred style. He reverted to the 10 man tactic he was forced to use at Parkheid, it worked then as it did on Saturday limiting our chances. Nothing yet has been mentioned about them being shit-scared to open up against us for fear of my much hoped for 4-0! His 4 or 5 defenders defending his 4 or 5 defenders relying on a Butland punt over the top from the 2nd minute to try to get behind us was straight out of the Wattie Smith Encyclopedia of Fitba (Page 1, I think of a 2 page book! 😀)
That Celtic were strong in defence was evidence of our mentality over the last 3 months. We were galvanised by the defeat at Tynecastle and our determination got us over the line in the League and the Cup.
That Monsieur Flop is greetin’ about decisions, again, is no surprise. The Communications Dept at Ibrox is leading him like a Fleming Lemming over the cliff the way the other R2ngers managers have gone! You’ve got to wonder how a seemingly sane person gets dragged so easily into their mindset!
As JimDom says, Brendan must laugh himself to sleep at night!!

On a slightly different note..if anyone had any doubts about Butland for England Saturday put that fairy story to bed!!

May 28, 2024 12:47 pm

TRM…two successive ‘cliff’ analogies…great minds an’ aw that! 🤯

The Real McCoy
May 28, 2024 12:56 pm

McCaff 👋🏻
you know I’m gonna say ‘fools’ 😂
Glad you enjoyed the last couple of weeks with your celebrations.
Loved yer photo 💚
HH💚🍀

May 28, 2024 1:03 pm

Cheers TRM..we’ll need a Nightshift catch up soon, it’s been far toooo long!!

May 28, 2024 1:07 pm

Worthy winners v unworthy whiners.

Just Sayin’
May 28, 2024 1:30 pm

The Huns could have played another 100 minutes and still not scored. They had absolutely nothing of note to worry Joe, bar one or two dangerous corner kicks.

In future a more commanding 6 yard box keeper than Joe solves that problem.

AJ and GT were hardly troubled by their wide men, and CCV and Liam were rocks in central defence.

We won a poor game in a microcosm of the season- without many good passages of play the better of two average teams triumphed.

Should do much better next season with some quality added.
If they are able to move on their dregs we may see a better opponent next season.
Seeded in CL qualifying may well see them take a FSR risk on purchases.

May 28, 2024 1:39 pm

Surely to God this is the time to spread our wings a bit!

Just Sayin’
May 28, 2024 1:43 pm

It is time.
All down to who wins the growth argument – BR or the Board.

May 28, 2024 1:51 pm

May 28, 2024 1:39 pm
Surely to God this is the time to spread our wings a bit!
————————————-
Well said, that man!
Nailed it in one.
Iniquitous IV😊

Last edited 1 month ago by INIQUITOUS IV
May 28, 2024 2:24 pm

I’d like to thank both Bobby and Mahe for all their efforts in providing and maintaining this wonderful blog. For some it is an opportunity, for others it almost seems like a lifeline.

The blog is a synergy….it is more than the sum of its parts. Many contribute and I thank everyone for sharing their thoughts, whether I agree with them or not. I particularly like the little personal insights that are shared re family, past glories and setbacks.

I am not sure what the future holds for me in terms of following the club but I shall never support another as I supported Celtic.

Have a great summer,

Rebus

Fan
May 28, 2024 2:34 pm

BAD@1-39
(If our goal this season is just to remain one step ahead of a really poor Sevco, I will be severely disappointed.
Surely to God this is the time to spread our wings?)
This season the league was looking perilous at certain points but Beaton galvanised Brendan and the players to pull us ahead.
The board will probably see our double as vindication of their strategy so I expect more of the same.

May 28, 2024 3:11 pm

As I said previously I’m coming out of that HCTS, it’s a nonsense. I’ve addressed some issues with our SLO, will see what reply he offers:

The rest is for JP Taylor:

The way this scheme is operated is not fix for purpose, the membership has risen exponentially since I first joined. Consequently you need to take certain issues into consideration rather than a random ballot.

Unlike the ticket allocation for away games, there is no loyalty to long term members. Moreover you can easily identify if a ticket has been used, therefore you would know who turned at at previous minor games and give them a rise in status.

There is no logic turning up for these games when ticket allocations are based on a random ballot moreover dependant on the number of hospitality tickets offered.

Furthermore a successful ballot should make you illegible for the next future game.

All of the above is not rocket science so until you make a fair and transparent system I’ll stay out of it!

Yours in Celtic

Last edited 1 month ago by Prestonpans bhoys
Jimbo67
May 28, 2024 5:50 pm

Afternoon. Bus home seems to be on a mystery tour.

Great leader today. I have long thought the traditional press/media displayed more bias than referees as an overall group ever have. Growing up with people like Peter Thomson , Murdo McPherson and Roy Small on the BBC and any number of hacks like Don Morrison, Gair Henderson, Allan Herron and Jimmy Sanderson in the press I have never expected objectivity. The euphoria which would greet, for example, Rangers’ victory in the 1973 cup final typified these people. Or is that peepul?

They’d tell me Kenny Dalglish was always rotten for Scotland and rip their knitting after Celtic got a penalty to win the 1977 cup final- an obvious award- and give the game nought out of 5 for entertainment. A dozen years later they were similarly aggrieved when we stopped them winning a treble. Did anybody expect them to be honest about Rangers #1’s demise? On Saturday a dull game that an uninspired Celtic probably had the edge of for an hour before an equally uninspired Rangers were beginning to edge before Celtic scored has in 3 days become the biggest robbery since the days of Ronald Biggs. I wish I could ignore them completely but there’ll always be something to remind me of the existence of these lickspittles

Anyway the bus seems to be on tje more familiary territory of Cadder.

Jimbo

petec
May 28, 2024 6:25 pm

Brilliant scenes.

Lenny & Broonie with just as big smiles as all the Bhoys. Superb.

Obviously the Dump and the views behind the goals are attrocious but our Bhoys Won again.

Champions Again!!!

ASWGL
May 28, 2024 6:33 pm

Flip Flop manager of Genk from 2017 Lost the Belgian Cup Final (he blamed the referee), made the last 32 of Europa League and was pumped 4-1 at home by Slavia Prague.

From 2019 to 2021 Flip Flop had a turnover of 80 players at Bruge, where he again lost the Belgian cup final, made the last 32 in the Europa League, until Man.U pumped them 6-1

He moved on to Monaco where they came 6th and missed out of Europe, his team lost the French Cup semi-final and he was sacked, and then moved on to his current shambles, Second Place FC

At Second Place FC he again lost a cup final, (getting a sense of cup woes ?)
Although losing the Scottish Cup final to Celtic he again blames the referee (seeing a theme here yet?) but claims his team played better than the Brazil team of 1982. (Even some very staunch Celtic men such as Neil McEBT and Kris Bhoyd agreed)

May 28, 2024 7:01 pm

ASWGL

Sounds like his main talent is making excuses.

May 28, 2024 7:12 pm

Adam Idah and Paolo Bernardo at circa £13million is a start but it’s only a start. Brendan obviously sees value in Idah, and to be fair to Brendan he got us Dembele and French Eddie, similar types of strikers with similar attributes. So if Norwich are willing I’d expect him to be signed – it seems clear that both Brendan and Idah want it to happen.
The case for Bernardo is less clear but I think he’s a fine player and players who are willing to break the lines as he can are worth shelling out for. He’s been quiet about his intentions – as is Brendan so it will be a case of suck it and see.
If Matt goes there’s a huge hole in the midfield. There also seems to be a wee attitude starting to build that Reo might have peaked or is struggling with the physicality. I’m not sure I agree and I think he’s more likely still trying to get full fitness after a couple of lengthy spells on the sidelines. Would you take a midfield of Calmac, Reo and Bernardo? Is it balanced? If we sign him but let Matt go we need another quality mid in there. Is Tomoki the answer? Again, I’m not sure, he’s got something but I think he’s a useful sub rather than a starter when Celtic have so much possession in domestic games, I don’t think his natural game is to play 40 yards from the opposition goal!
What about Kyogo? His game has suffered under Brendan. Will Brendan accomodate him more next season by playing faster, more penetrative fitba as Kyogo needs. Or will he cut a frustrated figure again, looking for a speculative long ba’ over the defence that never comes! Or will him and Brendan agree to disagree and part ways for a new challenge at Spurs? I can’t see that, really but I do wonder what the Magic Mushroom is thinking!
Maeda, despite his multiple shortcomings is a starter every time for me. His energy and ability to cause havoc is priceless but if we had a Jota on the wing, Jota, Jota on the wing I’d need to rethink that opinion! Maeda, in the last third of this season has become iconic for the support, and rightly so. He is truly a machine – from a season-ending injury to come back so soon after and have a positive effect was one of the highlights of the last few games, despite a quiet Cup Final!
Goalie and left defence have been long talked about. Wee Greg is another player with obvious deficiencies and I agree an upgrade is required. Scales too, despite being a mainstay and stepping up when required, playing with CCV, Nawrocki, Welsh and Lagerbielke at different stages has still to prrove he can take his game to the next stage – particularly his distribution and getting caught under the ba’ at diagonal crosses!
If Brendan’s ba’s are bigger than the PLC’s the close season will be interesting and exciting! The Huns have set the ba’ rolling with Jefte, a 6 foot left back. How he squares up against Barisic and Yilmaz obviously remains to be seen but Ange proved to us the massive importance of getting your business done early.
I hope Brendan and the PLC are on a war footing and ready to strike!

ASWGL
May 28, 2024 7:38 pm

McCaff May 28, 2024 7:12 pm

Good post McCaff Idah has been hit n miss, but recently he’s stepped up, I too see something in bernardo I hope he gets kept here and BR improves him👍