Great expectations

During the week I looked back, now it’s time to look ahead. There’s no point in discussing signings that may come in, nor do I wish to, but I’d rather focus on what I expect come August.

For starters a tired Captain. With minimal break Callum will be jaded beyond doubt, which is a problem off the bat. It’s good we have some players bedded in that can automatically step into the fold, Reo and Tomoki automatically spring to mind. But the cupboard is bare, some might file Matt’s non inclusion for the Euros under a win for R&R purposes, I personally believe it further edges him out the door and costs the club a couple million on top of that. Bernardo and Kelly aren’t signed up, can’t count on them. Brendan doesnt rate Odin or Kwon highly, I suppose the summer tour is their personal chance to stake a claim, let’s hope one or both do exactly that.
Yes the cupboard will be very bare in August when one considers trusted and rested midfielders to kickstart the new season, so I myself would buy at least one local not only for the homegrown numbers but also knowing they actually got a proper break alongside having the potential quality to represent Celtic. I would also consider bringing a native home, Stuart Armstrong for instance could do a short term job.
I usually don’t agree with any loans without an option to buy, but given the circumstances I would understand bulking up the middle of the park that way, but only one player and no more.

We all hope players are bedded in by opening fixture, but that’s just hope. Ideally any new bhoys would go on the summer tour to get an experience of playing for the Hoops, but football seldom goes like clockwork. There’s a good chance some do just that, but there’s an equally good chance some don’t and join later after finding themselves surplus to their teams European squads. At least that’s been a recurring theme.

Thankfully, that could end. We have a new head of scouting/recruitment, whatever title he holds it makes little difference. What might make a difference is his speciality markets, ie South America. I’ll say the following about that region, it can offer good value, however it’s very heavily scouted already. The best talents are out of our reach. I opine there’s three types of players from that continent willing to actually up sticks and play in Scotland, the young ones, the overlooked, the veteran.. The younger ones, like the one that just agreed to come play for our city rivals, see Scotland as a bank balance topping up stepping stone, they need a hefty payrise to join, they aim to move on quickly after shining.
The overlooked, there’s generally a reason why, but that doesn’t mean an overlooked player cannot improve or help in the present. They will have been overlooked by much richer clubs than ourselves, which doesn’t mean they cannot do a job in the Hoops.
So to my mind South America offers the lot. Young players, middling players, even older players. There’s a case we need all three. The young player would actually be the hardest to sign, they could join a Turkish//Portugese team squad for better money. But they could start for Celtic, and use that to go on to other things, more lucrative things. A smart agent would look at the Jota/Odsonne/Moussa/Tierney moves upwards and realize the pathway is there.

The middle age player is probably a bit less inclined to move, but that’s were our stature and stage comes into play. We can surely offer more wages than say the third placed team in the Chilean League, and offer the globes most prestigious club competition for eight games minimum now. There’s reasons for the middle aged turning good professional to make the leap.
The veteran/older player has two fantastic reasons to sign, the Joe Hart effect and the moolah bringing the final top-up.

Just as an example I Googled the third place team in Chile, ironically known as the Catholics (I swear I had no idea). They’ve just promoted their 6’1 twenty year old to permanent goalkeeper
Just turned a 22 year old midfielder who scored 25 in 3 years for his last club into a defender. There’s versatility, can’t have enough of that.
And have a 36 year old forward having the time of his life having scored 9 with 2 assists in 14 games this year. Mind you he garnered 6 yellows in the process but talk about a right here, right now striker cheap as chips. He has been the top scorer in Chile four seasons in a row, top scorer in the Cup two years ago.
I’d scoop the three of them.
Maybe, but you get the drift. There’s simply too many players to be hoovered up elsewhere, and those left behind aren’t always shabby.
We exploited Japan, now a new world awaits exploitation, in a good way.
So next season should provide plenty of excitement on the playing front with a fresh bunch of (hopefully) talent waiting to shine and a new scout who actually supports Celtic surely keen to help out hid beloved and secure his job with a successful beginning. The summer transfer window just got really interesting given a, the new guy,,b, the big riches,,c, the extended Champions League.

One doesn’t need to be a rocket scientist to understand that with more Champions League games comes more tiredness the following weekend, which means bigger odds on dropping points. The actual squad just became very important, it’s essential it’s of sufficient depth that dipping into it does not mean a significant downgrade. Of all seasons, this is the one to have a good squad, more depth, deadwood few and far between.
If I know this, the gaffer knows this, the CEO will know this. Besides, your hard earned will cover the cost, those two extra games on the European package.
A smart club would invest now to try and help secure future funds, ie go all in to raise our coefficient enough to hopefully automatically enter the CL in future, if not get us seeded for a single qualifier.
I believe this is THE window that will define the next few years.

But it’s next year I’m focused on today. Sometimes, and I’m guilty of this myself, players actually do take a while to settle. I, and probably you, have written a few in the squad off. Arsene Wenger never judged a player until his second season, accepting the first was preparation of what’s to come. Palma, Kuhn, Odin, Yang, OH, the periphery players,,one or two usually find their feet in the second season. Don’t be surprised if some of the above show good improvement.

My expectations, a slow start and the team coming upto speed. The manager loves a bit of magic on the wing to feed the attackers, I expect that to once again become our trademark under players signed for that very purpose. He also likes possession, so I think Reo will need to either up his game or change as he’s a risk taker with those Ange instructed always pass forward balls.
I also think we will get Idah, or a clone.
I’m not worried about Kyogo leaving, those Japanese teams couldn’t afford him now and he’s not the type to down tools.
A new keeper and defenders will be signed, I’m comfortable with the rearguard.
A new striker will be signed plus I just adore Kyogo, I’m comfortable with the strikeforce.
The middle, need quality.
The wings, need quality.
It may or may not be a transitional season, if Brendan gets players that suit his instructions things could go smooth from the off. But are we the type of club that just takes a wash, sells or gives away 7 to 10 players in a window?
We don’t, that takes time and several windows.
So in one respect Brendan will have his hands tied behind his back.
But the new wind sweeping through shall be a much welcome breeze.
As welcome as European football after Christmas, many a Tim will dream of waking up to those tickets from Santa.

I’ll save my actual predictions for the now annual pre-season Prediction Day article, last year’s shall be judged have no doubt, but now we’ve got over the line again and have that experience in the squad I don’t see domestic trouble, but I do see foreign improvement. I suppose we shouldn’t measure the old system against the new, but Brendan did scoop more points than Ange the previous year. Our core is signed up, there’s zero reason to expect a poorer Champions League campaign. If anything, given we will face two Pot 4 and Pot 3 teams, there’s reason for Op-TIM-ism.

Better players, another title, more CL points,,,is that too much ask?
Not from where I’m standing.

Finally, from myself and Bobby, a sincere thank you. It’s been an absolute pleasure to share this past seasons ups and downs with you. As suggested, we shall move to new articles every other day starting next week until the resumption of the season, we truly appreciate your understanding and all your contributions.
YOU make this blog, not us, and long may that continue.
Love, Best Wishes, and Respect.

Mahe sentinelcelts@gmail.com

Notify of
June 1, 2024 12:13 am

VIVE LE RESOLUTION!!!!

You can read our article on a resolution for improving refereeing standards here.
Join the growing numbers of our readers who have had enough of referees In hun scarves.

June 1, 2024 12:14 am

The Sentinel Celts Charity Drive has nominated Blood Cancer UK as the recipient for funds for the six months to 31/07/2024,and we are getting close to achieving our LATEST TARGET.
We have set up a GoFundMe page for those who have some spare cash to donate,even from a lucky windfall or finding a tenner in the street.
Click on the link for more details,including how to donate.
Please give generously to a very deserving cause. Although our first targets have now been achieved-and many thanks for your generosity!-we can always hope to do more.

June 1, 2024 12:15 am
Gordon64
June 1, 2024 12:32 am

Last edited 1 month ago by Gordon64
Gordon64
June 1, 2024 12:47 am

Just Sayin’
June 1, 2024 12:47 am

This league was always there to be won.

Some of you guys need to find a proper mojo.

Focus, confidence n positivity are overlooked attributes, particularly for the Scotlander.

Just Sayin’
June 1, 2024 12:50 am

Thankfully our manager n Captain convey the benefits.

Gordon64
June 1, 2024 1:00 am

June 1, 2024 2:18 am

WGS on Fergie
“I met him a couple months ago. He gave me a clip on the head and said get a haircut. I’m 67 and it’s six o clock at night but I’m driving around looking for a barber still open!”

Margaret McGill
June 1, 2024 4:51 am

I love accountant season

Margaret McGill
June 1, 2024 5:05 am

I know who our loan arranger is this accountant season but who is playing tonto?

Nothing without fans
June 1, 2024 5:13 am

ASWGL / Ini, that should be the numbered list issue fixed.

Last edited 1 month ago by Nothing without fans
SteveNaive
June 1, 2024 7:01 am

Huge thank you to all at the Celtic Foundation for their organization and effort at the tournament on Thursday at Lennoxtown.
Heartening to see the pure joy football provided for the boys and girls.
Further, MN, a very decent guy, knowledgeable, approachable and a real supporter.

June 1, 2024 8:21 am

Good morning, friends.
We’ve tried a few players who hailed from South or Central America but which superstars have I forgotten as, on this slightly hazy morning, only Izzy springs to mind as being g a success. Some came c,ose – Suarez and Juninho both started great but quickly faded.

June 1, 2024 8:57 am
Last edited 1 month ago by Big Audio Dynamite
June 1, 2024 9:29 am
Fan
June 1, 2024 9:44 am

Cultural integration is not easy in football.
The younger generation seem more capable or is it previously closed minds are opening?
Izzy had a stable family background and SPL was probably a step up.
If we go down South American route what can we do to help players be happy and positive in our constrained environment?
Constrained in football and lifestyle sense.
Will the referees change enough for the players to recognise a modern football environment?
Will Glasgow continue to evolve like a modern European city.?
Can the players acclimatise to wearing raincoats and wellies 10 months a year?
Will Celtic hire a swimming coach at Lennoxtown who teaches cold water swimming?
So many questions to answer depending on what transfer policy we chose!

A thing of beauty
June 1, 2024 10:16 am

Good article Mahe. I have also just finished listening to the huddle breakdown and they further point out the issues with the squad and the work that needs to be done. One of the things we will have to think about is the home grown quota. Lennon Miller and Connor Barron were being touted by Barry Ferguson to go to the Huns. Are either of them worth a punt for us to provide cover in the league after European games? Are there others we can think of that may be able to do a job in other positions. The squad is very thin on quality and if we sell O’Riley it is damaged further. Personally I’m not sure about Hatate either. I keep saying he is a player of moments, sublime moments at times but I cannot spend another season watching him towing a caravan when he is trying to get back after giving the ball away. Like others, I’m not sure BR fancies him as a player so that’s two out the starting three in the midfield with question marks. I can see Calmac moving up to 8 and a proper 6 coming in. That would be my choice. So there you have it. Loads of work to be done and that’s just one part of the team. A huge summer ahead.

June 1, 2024 10:27 am

Not sure how easy-hard Aberdeen would have been to deal with (Or if we did enquire) but I really would’ve liked us to have bought Lewis Ferguson.

I liked him from the minute I first saw him.

Fan
June 1, 2024 10:30 am

ATOB
(Personally I’m not sure about Hatate either. I keep saying he is a player of moments, sublime moments at times but I cannot spend another season watching him towing a caravan when he is trying to get back after giving the ball away. )
Seriously just Hatate??
The entire midfield qualify for the above description.!!!
Perhaps better coaching on a defensive posture when we lose possession would remedy above?

A thing of beauty
June 1, 2024 11:02 am

Fan,
Yes it would but I’m not sure it covers the deficiencies so evident in Hatate as an all round midfielder. I think you can carry a sublime player like Rogic or Lubo but does Hatate do enough to cover what he can’t do? I feel conflicted saying this because I know how much we missed him when he was out. There was a real lack of creativity.

Jimtim
June 1, 2024 11:09 am

Bobby . Mahe . Many thanks for putting together this site . With regards your leader excellent stuff , one or two wee things I would change . I feel we need midfield recruits with a bit of dig . Imho other club know how to play us , they know our midfield don’t like the rough stuff ,hence we get subdued performances from Mor or Rio against these teams , I thought they both were very poor in the cup final . But that’s for hopefully Brendan and only Brendan to address .

Madmitch
June 1, 2024 11:11 am

Challenges bring opportunities — we have quite a few players who need minutes so we should have a lot of willing bodies wanting to make their name on the park during pre-season.

BL / 2003 — Bosun Lawal recently of Fleetwood fame.
He should be given his chance after his performances down south.

SPL trawl — two names keep coming up as young players making their mark.
David Watson / 2005 @ Killie.
Lennon Miller / 2006 @ M/well.
My thoughts — we need to work the SPL to the max / EUFA squad rules / local engagement.
Talent pipeline — buy / loan back for up to two years and monitor their progress.
Main thing be pro-active.

Bosmans + low fee / high wage experienced hires — interesting to see if we go down this route.
We are still a bit callow / fresh faced aka raw when it comes to CL games.

New markets — Canada and the US need to be worked.
Get involved with their league structure — grow the brand.

Transformation on the scale of 2021/22 will make us CL credible — it is where we need to be.
We have the resources to make our mark in Europe next season — plenty of recent evidence.

All the building blocks are available to us — just a case do we have the ambition / smarts / capacity to make the most of them.

A T/O of £150mill will go far if we bring our A game to the table.
Pet players / EPL refugees / agent friendly buys just won’t cut it any more.

Gravy would be PL taking a vow of silence and being given a new office in a secure attic somewhere near Eaglesham Moor with no mobile signal — not much to ask.

Tonight — Hope BD win and win well / it is what the CL needs.
Another trinket for a RM side who are well of the pace is not what football needs.
The Galacticos crap gets wearing after a while plus TK is hyped well beyond his ability.

Madmitch
June 1, 2024 11:20 am

RH / 2022/23 — we build our MF around him.
Different version of TR — same vision / creativity but more mobile.

RH / 2023/24 — we need to rebuild him as his form has slipped not dipped.
He is still our stand out MF player with a talent that we will not find elsewhere with our resources.

Very unsettled this season — he has taken a long time to understand BR coaching.
I think he is worth the effort to bring him back to his best.

If he goes then we have allowed him to be kicked out the SPL.
Consequently for future talents we need to sort out the issue at source.

MOR — If he goes he goes / he needs a new challenge.
KF — if he goes he goes / BR struggles to play his strengths / highlight reel is a blockbuster already.

June 1, 2024 11:39 am

Good morning all,

Can I just add my thanks to Mahe BMCUW, and all the backroom staff ( ASWGL and anyone I’ve missed ) who make this site an enjoyable read 👏👏👏👏

Also, a big shout out to Jobo, SFTB and Chalmersbhoy for their sterling efforts with POTY, Superbru and Racing Competitions.

You do a fantastic job and add to the enjoyment 👏👏👏👏

Keep up the good work and Hail Hail 🍀 🍀 🍀 🍀 🍀

Fan
June 1, 2024 12:28 pm

MM
(Same effort into progress as PL and his acolytes put into excuses for failure — we will go far.)
Nail on head!

June 1, 2024 12:44 pm

CL Final free to watch on Virgin Media

Madmitch
June 1, 2024 2:30 pm

Plan for next season …
Get RH back in the goove.

We need to get out the Maxime Nightingale songs.
We need to beat up the team bus .
We need the Hanson Brothers.
We need to foil up.

SlapShotCSC

June 1, 2024 2:31 pm
Brigton Dairy bhoys
June 1, 2024 3:27 pm

Looking forward to the big game tonight. Haven’t seen much of Madrid lately but imagine they will be big favourites. 15 European cups and still not as successful as Sevco 😁

Big packy😉😉
June 1, 2024 3:47 pm

Brigton dairy bhoy welcome to the blog another true story 👍

Brigton Dairy bhoys
June 1, 2024 3:59 pm

BP,

Packy its me, BAD

Got my handles mixed up

😁🍀🍀

Frodshambhoy
June 1, 2024 4:04 pm

June 1, 2024 2:31 pm
Decent explainer of new CL format.
———————-
👍

“The teams will initially be divided into four pots, based on Uefa seedings. Each participant will play two teams from each pot, one at home and one away.”

So much for the big advantage R2ngers would have over us with their higher coefficient.

June 1, 2024 4:09 pm

Barisic, McLaughlin, roofe, jack and lundstram ll released the the zombies. Good riddance to rubbish you might say. But they have to be replaced. Which means transfer fees or gambling on free transfers and/or young untried players. Nd if their scouting was that great, they wouldnt be having to clear house every season or two

Frodshambhoy
June 1, 2024 4:20 pm

MIT

Phillipe has started the rebuild;

“Meanwhile, Ibrox defender Leon Balogun, 35, has signed a new deal for the 2024-25 season.”

Frodshambhoy
June 1, 2024 4:30 pm

Manager Philippe Clement has stressed the need for a rebuild at Ibrox this summer”

Rebuild ???????

June 1, 2024 4:35 pm

To be fair, I thought Balogun looked decent – not great but decent – when he played. The problem is they will get nothing for him.

16 roads
June 1, 2024 4:36 pm

City of Troy for AP O’Brien.

What can you say? 😲

Jimtim
June 1, 2024 4:41 pm

I wonder had there been seedings in 67 what pot would we have been in .

Frodshambhoy
June 1, 2024 4:46 pm

Double post 4.20 and 4.30.

First one didn’t appear on my phone so I tried again.

Big packy😉😉
June 1, 2024 4:49 pm

bad you had me fooled there 😎

Frodshambhoy
June 1, 2024 4:50 pm

Jimtim
 June 1, 2024 4:41 pm
I wonder had there been seedings in 67 what pot would we have been in .

I dont know but seedings would’ve helped us in 68 😡

Big packy😉😉
June 1, 2024 4:56 pm

Frodsham bhoy went to frodsham once it was closed 😎how are you buddy

Jimbo67
June 1, 2024 5:01 pm

Frodsham Bhoy

As we had already reached two semi-finals in the Cup Winners Cup and Scottish football had a decent record in the two UEFA run tournaments (the Fairs Cup was not officially run by UEFA) we could have had quite a high seeding.

Jimbo

Frodshambhoy
June 1, 2024 5:03 pm

Hi BP
Im in the Ring o Bells beer garden so im
good thanks.
How are you. More importantly how is Wee Joan. Hope she is good. Not too bothered about you 😁😁😁

June 1, 2024 5:08 pm

𝙋𝙖𝙪𝙡𝙤 𝘽𝙚𝙧𝙣𝙖𝙧𝙙𝙤 – 𝙄 𝙒𝙖𝙣𝙩 𝘾𝙚𝙡𝙩𝙞𝙘 𝙎𝙩𝙖𝙮

Portugal U21 midfielder Paulo Bernardo wants to make his Celtic loan 𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗺𝗮𝗻𝗲𝗻𝘁.

Reports in his homeland state Bernardo feels settled in Glasgow & does not want a return to Benfica.

@Record_Por
tugal
]

Big packy😉😉
June 1, 2024 5:08 pm

Went to the pub at lunchtime double Bacardi and a pint of coke 18 quid won’t name the pub but but it’s not the queen of spades 😎

Dre67
June 1, 2024 5:10 pm

Last edited 1 month ago by Dre67
Big packy😉😉
June 1, 2024 5:12 pm

Hi frodshambhoy she is doing good thanks for asking
Hope you and D are ok