Internationals Time!

By the time the next article is posted the Euros shall be underway, opening of course with Bonnie Scotland versus Germania.
Will I take an interest in this tournament?
Yeah, I guess.
Shall I go out of my way to watch the competition?

As a hardcore one team man, like many I just cannot become as involved with summer tournaments over the upcoming league campaign. I’m an Irish Celtic supporter, same as the other thousands who can honestly make that claim, but of course never actually supported the nation I was ‘granted’.
None of ‘us’ supported the North, in fact the opposite was true, still is true.

During Espana ‘82, my dad paid scant attention. I vividly recall him asking myself to watch the game and shout out the score as we played the mighty Brazil around those times, he wouldn’t even be bothered with that team playing the best in the world never mind the great Pele being involved. I cannot recall the exact moment of Gerry Armstrongs winning goal against the hosts Spain, probably because it wasn’t even on our telly such was the interest levels.

My uncle was very friendly with Anton, my grandad was Charlie Tullys younger brothers best friend, I went to school with a Tottenham / Norwich player who went on to represent the north. My 16 year old cousin was called up to represent them at youth level, hand on heart the bastard coach at the time never instructed the dressing room to make him welcome but the opposite occurred due to the tunes whistled by his ‘team-mates’ while he sat by himself feeling harassed. Said coach had nothing to say to his dad, just silence down the phone apparently safe in his stance.
I might be biased, but being capped could easily have been the difference between playing for a local club, or moving upwards.

I often wonder why certain people even entertain representing a certain nation, the north being a prime example. As Lenny found out it brings its own unique troubles, afterall which nations fans boo a player all of a sudden after 30 odd Caps?
Only one supporter base as far as I know.

That famous Espana ‘82 team did dominate the airwaves when they defeated the hosts, it was indeed a great result, but dad nor his friends had any time for the famous goalscorer. Whereas local lad Mal Donaghy would play then stay in his old bedroom in his mums house, Gerry preferred the hotel, nothing to do with any loose ladies of course, ahem. After one game the latter called out ‘away to your republican club’ as he and the others got spruced up for the best nightlife in the city while Malachy headed back to his roots.

My best ever International times were the late 80’s and early 90’s. Jack’s Army.
After years in the wilderness with football very much in the background, the sport became prominent. Irish players had become established in the English divisions and transferred that knowledge. Throw in the grandparents qualify rule and suddenly there actually was a decent collection to field.
I do vividly recall those days, very very few stragglers on the street or cars driving, houses and bars fully packed with enthusiastic new recruits to the International scene. Looking back, it was stunning what they achieved, especially in the summer heat of USA (94) which ironically is where I’m typing this.
However with the Republic falling lowly again, so does the majority of the norths interest.

But it’s not just that, it’s the actual tournament. Scroll back on the blog and you’ll see the Champions League getting heavily praised from the quarter finals onwards, a feast of attacking intent and plenty goals. Scroll back further and you’ll find similar regarding the World Cup.
The European Championships though, I just don’t place it as absolute top tier football despite the big names involved.
And not just the football either, I’d throw in the atmosphere also. There’s a Copa America running simultaneously, I know which one shall produce a better spectacle.

I also know many teams shall go to Germany not with the aim of going deep into the tournament or actually winning it, but namely to avoid embarrassment. If the recent World Cup and Champions League taught us anything, it’s that attack is the best form of defense. There’s 4 or 5 clear favourites to lift the Cup in Germania, yet will the rest take the field with the attitude of nothing to lose so better try and outscore them? No. But in South America you can bet your bottom dollar plenty of sides will try exactly that.
Their fans, media, and governing bodies won’t simply settle for a tight one nil through a corner at the death. Many players will up their game against the mighty Argentina and Brazil, while in Europe many players will try to contain the mighty Italy, France and Spain.
I’d also go as far as to say Greece winning the worst Euros ever was the worse thing to happen to that competition. It ‘okayed’ boring football.
I dare say if England repeated their feat, Gareth would get a statue, a knighthood, and hero status forever. Yet on the flip side, if his team play non adventurous and go out without the the trophy he would get crucified.
Greece only get the actual credit because they won, not for their tactics.
Who was their coach, their Captain, the goalscorer? Nobody knows, nobody but they themselves care, and that’s because it wasn’t an unmissable spectacle, a sight to behold moment.
That no one could break down their dogged stubbornness might please the Greeks, but it was a stain on the beautiful game, emphasis on beautiful.

Stevie Clarke has nothing to lose, he clearly doesn’t want to return to club management in Scotland, is living at home and I presume decently rewarded.
His best option,,go for the jugular never mind nullifying. Plenty of managers will be in that exact position including Southgate who has an array of attacking talent, but I doubt either take the handbrake off.

When I look back upon the last tournaments that I personally took an interest in, the common theme is ‘go at them!’. United bested the mighty City in the FA Cup with everyone writing them off yet their fearlessness and exuberance won on the day. Celtic came good at the end to overtake and then best their rivals with proper positive football. This great French team needed the magic of Messi to get the better of them in extra time, Dortmund had the mighty Real on the ropes before the rope-a-dope 1-2. But all came away with credit.
Let me put it this way, if we see an Italy-Spain final, it will be a tactical borefest, if South America manages an Argentina-Brazil final it will more than likely be one for the ages.  Let’s measure the two tournaments against each other and decide who is top of the heap.

By Mahe sentinelcelts@gmail.com

Notify of
June 12, 2024 5:00 am

VIVE LE RESOLUTION!!!!

You can read our article on a resolution for improving refereeing standards here.
Join the growing numbers of our readers who have had enough of referees In hun scarves.

June 12, 2024 5:01 am

The Sentinel Celts Charity Drive has nominated Blood Cancer UK as the recipient for funds for the six months to 31/07/2024,and we are getting close to achieving our LATEST TARGET.
We have set up a GoFundMe page for those who have some spare cash to donate,even from a lucky windfall or finding a tenner in the street.
Click on the link for more details,including how to donate.
Please give generously to a very deserving cause. Although our first targets have now been achieved-and many thanks for your generosity!-we can always hope to do more.

June 12, 2024 8:06 am

Good morning, friends.
Interesting points, Mahe. I’ll certainly be caught up in the pre match excitement for all 3 Scotland games despite my own lack of confidence in how we will do. And no doubt I’ll support 3 other countries for 90 minutes when they each take to the field against Ingurlaand. But the remaining group games – I’ll probably watch some but might need a 20 pence bet to ignite some real interest.
Having said all that, just 2 more sleeps!😁🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇩🇪 (and just 1 more for the US Open… 🏌️‍♂️)

June 12, 2024 8:13 am

And talking of the golf…

*The US Open*
If anyone fancies a bit of interest in The US Open (which starts ra morra) I’ve received the following email from the organiser. I’ve redacted the guys bank details and phone number but if you fancy joining in just email him ( iain.mcgovern@hotmail.co.uk ) and say you want to join but can he confirm where the £10 entry fee should be sent. Or message / email me (jobobaldie@yahoo.co.uk)  and I’ll pass you his bank details.
Here’s Iain’s original email –
Hi all, I hope you’re well.
Well it’s 2 down and 2 to go and the time has come for the 3rd Major of the year and the third of our Major Pools. The 124th US Open takes place at the Pinehurst Resort & Country Club, North Carolina, from Thursday 13th June to Sunday 16th. You’ll find your invitation with the link to enter below along with the payment details. Entry fee is £10 with 6 going to the prize fund and £4 to Celtic FC Foundation. https://charity.celticfc.com/
As ever, can I ask you to please take care to enter your email address correctly as it makes admin and follow up emails much easier. Thank you.
Like the USPGA last month, I have no idea how many entries we’ll get but hopefully a fair few of you will take part. As ever, your support is much appreciated. Please feel free to pass on to family, friends and colleagues, the more the merrier!
Deadline for entries and payment is 12.00 Celtic Park time on Thursday 13th June.
Any questions, please just ask. Email is fine or on my mobile 07530120044.
Thanks again, Iain.
ACC Name: Iain McGovern
SC: redacted
ACC No: redacted

IAIN.MCGOVERN@HOTMAIL.CO.UK

CORDIALLY INVITES YOU

TO PARTICIPATE IN A GOLF POOL

LIKE NO OTHER

CFC FOUNDATION US OPEN

— for the —

2024 U.S. OPEN

HOW IT WORKS

Everyone picks a team of 6 golfers. Add your best 4 of 6 golfers scores to form your team score. The best team score wins the pool. Cut golfers (and anyone who doesn’t finish 4 rounds) get 80 for any rounds not completed. Playoff holes do not count.

HOW TO JOIN THE POOL

Pick your team of golfers here:

LIVE LEADERBOARD

Good Luck!
Iain McGovern

Billy Bhoy
June 12, 2024 9:16 am

Morning Mahe

That was a wee trip doon memory lane for me there.

I was at the 82 WC as a 22 yo. After Scotland went out we travelled around Spain and ended up in Valencia on the day of the NI game. We managed to get tickets fairly easily.
It was quite an experience for two Glasgow boys to be surrounded by green listening to some of the chants – fuck your Pope being the main one.
We committed a major faux pas by sitting in our seats eating crisps at the start of GSTQ – so much so that we had to excuse ourselves to go to the loo and never went back to that row!

My abiding memory of the night – apart from the heat – was both fans hatred of each other. The Spaniards were singing Malvinas Argentinos repeatedly and the response was a sea of union jacks chanting Gibralter.

Speaking of Jacks, another day another major injury in the Scotland camp. Ryan Jack sliced his finger open cutting up oranges for the playing squad. Steve Clarke might need to draft someone else in.

Hoop hoop hooray
June 12, 2024 9:18 am

My abiding memory of that ‘Greece’ tournament in 2004 was that the final Portugal v Greece was the a repeat of the opening game. I had a bet with my mate on how long it would take them to mention England in the opening game. The deal was I got the first ten minutes and he got the rest of the match.

From the studio
”and now it’s over to Barry Davis for commentary on the opening match of Euro 2004, it’s Portugal against Greece”
”Hello and welcome to the stadium where England played in March”

He wouldn’t pay out as the match hadn’t started.

Fan
June 12, 2024 9:31 am

International football is not for me.
Brazil failing to win against Italy with the brilliant Socrates did it for me.
Defensive master class with poacher Rossi against flair shattered my illusions
Scotland’s penchant for crap Huns over any fenian sounding name has meant I’ve never supported or cared for them.
My dad went often to Wembley and when I lived in London he got a ticket for me but I refused.

June 12, 2024 9:53 am

FAN

I reckon I lost any interest in Scotland when Jock died. Not helped much by who his replacement was. Who could get excited about a side managed by Andy Roxburgh?

SeS
June 12, 2024 10:01 am

Big Packy, Fan and Magua

Hail Hail Bhoys!

PS Magua a wee birdie told me you were in a two dimensional collision with Terry Hurlock – I hope you called him a durty bassa ….as they carted ye aff…

seriously tho’. get on yer feet soon, I fancy a few scoops out my way… soonish.

June 12, 2024 10:13 am

If we are interested in signing any players at the Euros, might be better trying to get the deal done now,rather than a guy playing a couple of good games and other teams get interested, and the price goes up….

Jimbo67
June 12, 2024 10:38 am

Morning all

I will watch Scotland’s matches if I am not working more out of duty than any expectation of either result or enjoyment.

The Euros have, arguably, since they went to 16 teams as opposed to 8 ( or 4 as they were until 1976) become too long and too weighed down by having too many make-up-the-numbers teams.

The World Cup was ‘just right’ when it was 16 teams. From 82 and the expansion to 24 and from 98 to 32 teams, the tournaments have either started off brightly at the group stages and then turned into slogs or, as in 86 and maybe 98, dull groups stages followed by exciting knock out matches. Mostly it’s squads of players tired after arduous club seasons plodding through things. There have been really classic matches like Brazil v Italy in 82 and Holland v Argentina in 98 or the macabre spectacle of Germany v Brazil in 2014 and the genius of Maradona in 86 but mostly it’s forgettable stuff. The Euros of 2021 were in a fact a real tonic – seeing sport being played in front of crowds again was wonderful- but other than the final how many of the actual games do you remember?

With the further expansion of the Champions league a reality, FIFA’s desire to expand its unloved world club tournament likely to become a reality along with bloated tournaments at international level nobody in FIFA, UEFA and the other federations one thing nobody seems to be thinking that in life quite often less meams more.

Jimbo

Fan
June 12, 2024 10:53 am

Our custodians more likely looking at ways to take an even bigger bonus from profits than have any strategy to spend and improve the footballing side.
This season is likely to parallel previous transfer windows with lots of farcial links to players we had no intention of signing and a net spend of 50% on whatever player sales we make!
I hope I am wrong!
But while DD and his lapdog Lawwell remain I see no footballing ambition at the PLC.

Last edited 1 month ago by Fan
June 12, 2024 10:58 am

I’m just glad the opportunity exists to watch football in the club close season.

I’ll watch Scotland games and pick and choose what might be a good game of football by other countries.

I look for players with flair strutting their stuff. I cgaf who they play for other than Scotland to see how they fare against the odds.

I just love fitbaw.

Magua
June 12, 2024 11:07 am

Good article, Mahe.

Saltires

Funnily enough, I’m sitting in the Southern General right now, waiting for a x-ray, to see what the latest prognosis is. That dirty fecker Terry Hurlock is nowhere to be seen. 😁 A few scoops out Johnstone way sounds grand.

Big Packy

Howdy, Packy.

Hail Hail.

June 12, 2024 11:10 am

Like a lot of us it seems, I followed Schottland when I was younger.

Made it to watch us in 2 major tournaments – The summer in Angleland 1996, and the unforgettable world cup in France 1998. I think I’ve been to the grand total of 2 Scotland games since.

I will certainly be cheering them on when the game starts on friday.

If anything will be our undoing, it will probably be our lack of any real firepower up front.

Someone listed the list of strikers we used to be able to call on – When you compare it to what we have at our disposal for this tournament, it made for depressing reading!

Drew67
June 12, 2024 11:15 am

Really looking forward to the game against Germany.our midfield is the strongest part of team.Calmac, Gilmour,McGinn and MacTominay are all excellent players who will give any midfield a game.it will be difficult against the home nation but theyre under their own pressure.

heres hopin🍻🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

June 12, 2024 11:33 am

BADABING

Sadly,the players,agents and selling clubs will be hoping for a good Euros too,so I doubt much business will be done while a player is still active and involved there.

June 12, 2024 11:34 am

AULDHEID

Me too. It isnae Celtic,but it will have to do.

June 12, 2024 11:46 am

Fan- I’m delighted that the Directors Box seats are being upgraded….

June 12, 2024 12:01 pm

BADABING

Do you know any dodgy electricians who might be interested in doing the wiring for the heated seats?

Bigrailroadblues
June 12, 2024 12:24 pm

Mick
There’s an auction lot of seats for sale at a prison in Alabama.

June 12, 2024 12:45 pm

BIGRAILROADBLUES

Worth a whipround,I reckon. 120v or 240v?

June 12, 2024 12:46 pm
Sol Kitts
June 12, 2024 1:45 pm

Can’t be arsed with international football, but glad to say the later stages of the Euros will be significantly enhanced by the visit of BMCUWP to Chez Kitts.
Just to keep us all talking, I recently came across this old photo on FB, of Celtic Park in 1976, when The Who played a concert there supported by SAHB. There has to be at least one Sentinel who was there.

IMG_2790
June 12, 2024 1:50 pm

SOLKITTS

My Mum wouldn’t let me go! In fairness,I’d just turned 13yo. But as I pointed out,I’d been in bigger crowds than that at Celtic Park.

Bigrailroadblues
June 12, 2024 1:55 pm

Sol Kitts
Aye, 18 years old Johnny. Great day.

Big packy😉😉
June 12, 2024 2:18 pm

Afternoon all and JIm and Magua Magua wee Joan has sent you 4 cans of kestrel super to keep you company in the waiting room 😎👍just noticed Celtic have signed a goalkeeper from campsie black watch Francis haffey is his name apparently a good singer as well 👍

Bigrailroadblues
June 12, 2024 2:31 pm

Magua, from earlier.
So you plan to have a bevvy with SES and haven’t invited me or CoseyCornerBhoy?🤔. It’s well known that me and P would turn up for the opening of an envelope. 🤣

SeS
June 12, 2024 3:02 pm

BRRB

😂 after return from Newry …I’ll message in plenty of time.

June 12, 2024 3:05 pm

Sol,

My big sis was there ..I kept the ticket stub for years.

Her hearing is actually terrible now …I wonder if it had anything to do with going to Who concerts!

Pretty sure they are in the Guiness book of records for the volume of their gigs.

Big packy😉😉
June 12, 2024 3:16 pm

Hi sol the sensational Alex Harvey band used to be called tear gas went to one of their gigs in Coatbridge town hall in 1969/70 never forget it fabulous 👍

Big packy😉😉
June 12, 2024 3:30 pm

Back to football or as mike in Toronto calls it soccer 😎👍only joking mike 💘 Magua my first ever game at parkhead was a 9-0 beating of Airdrie think maybe 64/65 what was unusual about that game 😎

A thing of beauty
June 12, 2024 3:50 pm

I will watch the Scotland games but like Jimbo 67, only if not working. I hope they do well but it will not raise my heart beat one iota either way. Unlike when watching Celtic and my smart watch is asking every 15 minutes if I am ok. This is due to my heart rate being well over a hundred when sitting down 😂😂

Frodshambhoy
June 12, 2024 3:50 pm

Never used to miss a home Scotland match. Can take it or leave it now.
Off to Co-Op Live to see James on Friday. (Richard Hawley tonight).
Might manage to watch on Friday if Co-Op Live lives up to it’s reputation.

SteveNaive
June 12, 2024 3:54 pm

BAD,

Maybe The Who but heard tell you could hear for days after Hawkwind.

San Luis
June 12, 2024 4:07 pm

I love a summer football tournament. I’ll tune into most games as living a retired life in Spain.

Don’t expect much from Scotland but reckon England will do well ( not bothered if they win it). However, think home advantage will help Germany and it’s a nice short trip for Italy and Holland too to do well in.

I personally think France have peaked, albeit they’re deffo a big contender. Outsiders will be Spain and Belgium.

Can’t wait.

Magua
June 12, 2024 4:24 pm

Big Packy

Cans were delicious. Cheers, Joan. Did Frank Haffey score/miss a penalty in that game?

BRRB

You two rascals are welcome anywhere…and well you know it. 😁

Saltires

Enjoy Newry. A party town if ever there was one. I wonder if the Hibs club on the Mall is still open? I was at the grand opening night in the 90s, when the club changed from being a bit ‘rough and ready’ as they say, into something more respectable. I preferred the venue as it was. 😂

Hail Hail.

June 12, 2024 4:31 pm

MAGUA frank took a penalty and missed it, another true story.LOL 😂 hope your appointment went well

June 12, 2024 4:47 pm

MAGUA footnote frank played against england at wembley, remember it because my dad and uncles were listening to it on my aunts radiogramme remember them no live TV in those days it was FFS frank not another one I blame the referee obviously a Homer another true story.LOL 😂

June 12, 2024 4:48 pm

Steve,

I’m more a Talking Heads kinda guy ..much more civilised

There was a Lemmy in almost every rock band of the 70s. Was like a competition to outdo each other. Only so many times you can chuck the tv out a window 😁

Magua
June 12, 2024 5:45 pm

Big Packy

Cheers, Packy. I no longer need the leg brace, but will be on crutches for a wee while longer. All things considered, a good result.

Hail Hail.

June 12, 2024 5:51 pm

MAGUA fantastic,,another true story.LOL 😂

June 12, 2024 5:57 pm

MAGUA went to larkhall once it was closed, thank feck another true story.LOL 😂

June 12, 2024 6:02 pm

MAGUA did I ever tell you the larkhall story??

16 roads
June 12, 2024 6:16 pm

Over in Prague at the moment.

City is teeming with the Tartan Army.

Personally zero interest in international football, hoping Scotland give a good account of themselves though.

That Scotland squad about a year and a half to two years ago,genuinely thinking that wee outfit are going to be a problem.

Injuries were relentless, maybe some of the potential didn’t progress.

Even then, one glaringly obvious weakness was the lack of a quality striker.

At a loss as to why this is.

60s/70s country producing some of the most clinical finishers on the planet.

Strange CSC. ☘️

Magua
June 12, 2024 6:17 pm

Big Packy

Don’t think so. Fire away.

Hail Hail.

June 12, 2024 6:41 pm

For what it’s worth, here’s my hoped for starting XI for Friday, assuming we line up 5-4-1.

Gunn

Ralston (Celtic)
Hendry (ex Celtic)
Porteous (ex Edinburgh Celtic)
Tierney (ex Celtic)
Robertson (ex Celtic Youth)

Gilmour (Sevco escapee)
McGregor (Celtic)
McGinn (nearly Celtic)
McTominay (future Celtic?)

Adams

My current thinking is that we will lose to Germany but win our final game against Hungary. The Switzerland game a week tonight is too close to call.

Remember, there are 6 groups of 4. Top 2 from each qualify plus the 4 best 3rd placed teams. Draws between the 2 poorer teams in each group would help Scotland. 3 points from beating Hungary could then be enough.

June 12, 2024 7:07 pm

JOBO

I was discussing our chances with a mate the other day. We both reckoned that a win against Hungary might be enough to scrape a place. Problem is that if we both go into the game with no points on the board,they will be trying desperately hard for that win too.

Big packy😉😉
June 12, 2024 7:46 pm

Magua my late great uncle packy who introduced me to Celtic was a shop steward at bedlay colliery in Lanarkshire when Thatcher started closing pits in Lanarkshire a lot of Huns from larkhall came to work at bedlay this hun called Alex Balfour said to my uncle packy FFs you shout pat on here half the cants turn roon you shout Mick the other half turn roon uncle packy being an ex amature boxer said and your point is Mr Balfour for some reason shut up 😎😎

Magua