A Show About Nothing

I freely admit that I stole the title for today’s article from the description used about Seinfeld way back when. Mainly because it perfectly describes Celtic’s activity during the transfer window so far. Yes,we have offered nine youngsters their first professional contract. Yes,of course I’m delighted about that,we all live in hope of seeing a future star make his first team debut. Yes,I’ve seen a few of them in my time. And the academy has to give back to us over time,otherwise what is the point of it even existing? But new signings? Jetting in from faraway lands? Registering incognito at hotels or at medical facilities for pre-signing checks? Not a dickie bird.

Even the oul’ rumour mills are having to trawl through the listings on TransferMarket and such places just to pull a name out of the hat,something that they can spin into a story of sorts. Of course,the average R2ngers fan laps up this kind of stuff. Meat and drink to them,they thrive on these. Every player on the planet is fair game in this little charade-hell,did I really read somewhere that they were desperate to sign a 17yo Messi?-but occasionally they overstep the mark.

Such as the one linking them to a Moroccan called Hamza Geezagame or something. I tried to check the spelling but he doesn’t have a Wikipedia page. Must be the only world-beating footballer I’ve ever heard of who doesn’t. But I digress,this isn’t really about their efforts in The Closed Season Cup,it’s more about ours.

We are all pretty much agreed on what is needed in the squad for next season. Top of the list is the two goalkeepers,after that we can be slightly more cautious in our approach. The goal is to ensure that the window is better than last year,that the manager is happy that we get the players that he wants and that the squad is an improvement on last season. Yes,it’s that simple. And yes,I suspect that BR is on holiday at the moment,soaking up the rays and recharging the batteries for the slog ahead. But Michael Nicholson and the team should be working away even so to ensure that the players that have been identified are in our sights and subject to active bids.

I’m not seeing any sign of this at the moment. In fact,the only reports of note are conflicting ones about the reasons for the delay in tying up the deal with Benfica for Paolo Bernardo. The first reports were that Celtic were haggling over the price for him,despite having agreed a fee of €6m when we took him on loan. That’s the type of negotiation that can get you a bad reputation in the game,close a lot of doors and result in a few phones being slammed down. It is not a good look at all. It is also the sort of rumour which comes with its own brand of truth,one based purely on past history. For that is very much our modus operandi over the past two decades.

The other story is one that I’m less inclined to believe. That it is the player who is holding back,that the deal on offer is not acceptable to him. I find this strange for a number of reasons. Firstly,he was with the club for a year,and we have had all of that time to put proposals forward to him and his agent. Secondly,he knows our wage structure and how much he can realistically demand. Thirdly,he signed his contract with Benfica when he was a teenager,and I’d be very surprised if it was into five figures a week. Whatever he was on will be dwarfed by what we will be offering.

Now,I don’t know whether this is the club spinning a line to disguise the real reason for the delay being their own intransigence over the fee,or whether the press are taking the chance for a free hit on our player by calling him a greedy bastert. I do know that I can’t recall a similar story from Ibrox about any of their targets-except the ones that don’t come off,when any plausible excuse for the failed move is a good one as long as it doesn’t show R2ngers in a bad light.

You’ll gather that I’m already losing the will to live during this window. I don’t foresee many big moves by any clubs who now have the new financial regulations to deal with. Obviously some clubs are in a ruder financial condition than others,goes without saying. Clubs like that have the wiggle room in their budget for a splash now and again,and there are occasions when clubs will be looking to sell anyway. Players are coming towards the end of their contract-Osimhen at Napoli being a perfect example-and clubs have to manage those assets very carefully. But the famous Last Day Roadshow with Jim White is very much a thing of the past. No more tearjerkers a la Peter Odemwinge,jilted at the Loftus Road altar. Just weeks of frustration.

Get used to it. Football thought the good times would never end,and indeed the money keeps rolling in. But these new regulations-and the fact that they are clearly going to be applied-have put the kybosh on how the clubs can spend it,and on just how much they can spend in the first place. They’ve grown used to summer blockbusters,now they are faced with a diet of Hudson Hawk.

You’d almost think that Celtic were decades ahead of their time.

Notify of
June 18, 2024 11:57 pm

The Sentinel Celts Charity Drive has nominated Blood Cancer UK as the recipient for funds for the six months to 31/07/2024,and we are getting close to achieving our LATEST TARGET.

We have set up a GoFundMe page for those who have some spare cash to donate,even from a lucky windfall or finding a tenner in the street.

Click on the link for more details,including how to donate.

Please give generously to a very deserving cause. Although our first targets have now been achieved-and many thanks for your generosity!-we can always hope to do more.

Last edited 1 month ago by BOBBY MURDOCH’S CURLED-UP WINKLEPICKERS
June 18, 2024 11:58 pm

VIVE LE RESOLUTION!!!!

You can read our article on a resolution for improving refereeing standards here.

Join the growing numbers of our readers who have had enough of referees In hun scarves.

June 18, 2024 11:58 pm

There will be a Naps competition running week for the duration of Royal Ascot. Click on the link for details. All welcome.

June 19, 2024 12:17 am

ASWGL- Godfather of Harlem is excellent

June 19, 2024 12:50 am

Timely article, Bobby. Celtic fly to the U.S. for 3 very tough games in a mere 27 days.
Who will be in goal? Do Celtic even have a passenger list for who will be on the flight?

Johnston and CCV will be playing in Copa America, with CCV likely to go deep into the tournament. Callum, Taylor, Ralston and Forrest will be doubtless flying home on Monday, but Callum and Taylor will be knackered. Can they even be expected to be ready for mid July?

Idah will still be at Norwich, so who is going to back up Kyogo, assuming Oh goes? O’Riley and now Bernardo possibly missing. Lots and lots of questions.

Given Celtic’s track record on transfers, the pre-season tour could end up a shambles, with a seriously weakened team facing Man City and Chelsea. Being on the wrong end of a series of gubbings is never a good look.
Iniquitous IV

June 19, 2024 2:27 am

I mentioned yesterday that Brentford thought they might lose Toney this summer. So what did they do? They signed his replacement in February, so he would be with them for the entire pre-season.

We have KNOWN Big Joe was retiring for 4 months, and we knew Siegrist was for the off. What have we accomplished in signing their replacements? Diddly squat, or the square root of eff all. We can’t even plan for known eventualities, far less unknowns.

June 19, 2024 7:29 am

Good morning, friends and a Big Happy Matchday 2. Toblerone has always been my least favoured, overrated chocolate bar.

A thing of beauty
June 19, 2024 7:44 am

Tim Horton,
Sorry to read that your wife has now had to move in to a care home. That must be very difficult for you and your family but knowing she is being looked after and being able to visit everyday must help. Keep your spirits up.

Fan
June 19, 2024 8:50 am

Euros pretty tepid so far.
Modern tactics which are a stranger to SPL strangling self expression.
Some good long range shooting on display which is one way to combat defensive rigid lines.
Maybe the fact that the goalies have been quite poor in tournament have Celtic hesitant on spending for a much needed one and the board going back to tried and trusted square peg/round hole strategy?
Our world class preparations continue at their normal pace!

June 19, 2024 9:50 am

FAN

“Pretty sure we have a youngster in ranks who could be converted from a midfielder/defender into a goalie.”

Dont think for a second that it hasn’t crossed their minds!

A thing of beauty
June 19, 2024 10:10 am

Bmcuwp,
Slightly panicked outlook in regard to the transfer front. Hopefully the players we are tracking are at the euros or concaf tournament and we are negotiating quietly in the background. Until 1st July I am going to remain calm and trust that BR has won his personal battle with the fat controller and has full control. As regards Bernardo, we should never believe anything the press print about us. It’s usually shite. We have to remember that this is the first window in which FSR is really biting. Things may be getting done differently and we are waiting to see how things shake down for us and what we can gain from the bigger clubs getting a reality check. We have CL to offer to those players, something not all clubs can.
I will come back to this post on 01 July and see what’s what.

ernie lynch
June 19, 2024 10:28 am

The evidence suggests that the support are satisfied enough with winning the SPL and beating the huns to renew their season books so why would the board go to the bother and expense of trying to move up to a better level?

Óglach
June 19, 2024 10:59 am

Or could it be they are waiting to see if they can sell MO’R before attempting to sign anyone🤔 Same old modus operandi, sell your most sought after asset then spend less than the received fee to buy 3 or 4 bargain basement players and bank the rest of the cash.

But we live in hope.

June 19, 2024 11:06 am

ATHINGOFBEAUTY

Thats a very valid point. But I foolishly gave them the benefit of the doubt around early July last season,mainly due to the managerial change. I played nice,despite serious misgivings based on what we had seen before,and I wasn’t the only one.

The board made me look foolish for that decision,and it isn’t one I’m in a hurry to repeat.

Last summer,I said at the time that I was quite relaxed about the players coming back for pre-season without any attempt to replace Jota,Starfelt and Mooy-as long as they were in place for our training camp in Portugal. That didn’t happen. But I’ll throw in another wee twist for you.

What happens if the players reconvene in about two weeks and we are two goalkeepers short?

Last edited 29 days ago by BOBBY MURDOCH’S CURLED-UP WINKLEPICKERS
June 19, 2024 11:07 am

ATHINGO

I hope you and T have a really great day today,and that everything goes to plan at Estadio Nacional.

💚

Last edited 29 days ago by BOBBY MURDOCH’S CURLED-UP WINKLEPICKERS
SFTB
June 19, 2024 11:21 am

Still to trap for Superbru- Angel Gabriel, Celtic Mac, celticrollercoaster, Leggy,MWD1967, snapper 1969 & The Token Tim

SFTB
June 19, 2024 11:34 am

Superbru Round 1 Update

With all teams having played their opening fixture, our initial front runners are:-

1. kelvinbhoy- 15 pts (The Camino walk has sharpened something)

2= Jobo Baldie, Angel Gabriel & 18 Yard Man- 14.5 pts
5= Knoxy, Garry Postecoglou, Drew67 & Aipple- 14 pts

At the bottom, we have finally got Jonny The Tim registered but I am not sure his points tally has been fully added yet so the early wooden spoon leader is Por Cierto on 6 pts with snapper1969, Big Jimmy & Scaniel hot on his heels.

Round 2 starts today and I have changed my mind on the Swiss game. I thought they were a bad match for Scotland because they are very patient, preferring to pass it about in front of you until you tire or get bored and switch off, then they play a ball through your middle to a sprinter Centre forward and then they go back to possession football.

I have now, naively, decided that this might suit Scotland, if the Swiss are ultra patient and we can get the defensive discipline Steve Clarke normally gets, we could manage a surprise opener and a late winner. My theory depends entirely on Steve Clarke being willing to let more than one Scotland player enter the Swiss half at any given time.

SFTB
June 19, 2024 11:38 am

Celtic mac & snapper have now checked in

June 19, 2024 11:52 am

SFTB

Im surprised I’m not holding the table up in the proud Scottish way of doing things. I think I scored two points from the final ten games of the round. A decent start,then fell at the first.

June 19, 2024 11:54 am

Next week’s breathless headlines …

Sevco win race for …,

Sevco see off competition from Germany, Italy and Spain to land future star ..

Sevco complete deal for wonderkid who once sat next to Ronaldo …

Sevco win race for battle-hardened enforcer once compared to Yaya Toure ..

Sevco squad building almost complete after player compared to Messi signs up to Clement revolution …

Sevco swoop to land player compared to Maldini, ..

Sevco’s new midfield powerhouse jets in after starring for Milan …erm, u19s

Sevco’s world class floating casino will be ready for new season!

Given the fact some of these lads have never actually played a single first team football match in their career, you would think headlines like that would be impossible …and yet 😁

June 19, 2024 11:57 am

SFTB

Can you check to see if I’m actually registered with your competition please? Only reason I ask is that my entry is shown against a competition run by “Prairie Dogs”. And I’m in the relegation zone there too!

SFTB
June 19, 2024 12:24 pm

Bobby

I cannot see your name under the BMCUWP moniker. did you follow these instructions?-

To join this Superbru Competition

You have to apply – I cannot invite you in- I just get to approve or decline the applicants. Here are your steps:-

1. Open Superbru.com on your device

2. At the top of the page you’ll see a choice from Tournaments, News, Apps etc; – choose Tournaments

3. Click on the Football icon

4. There are 3 headings- Starting soon, Underway & Back Next Time- choose Euros from the Starting Soon option

5. Choose Euros 2024

6. Click the Euros Predictor Game button

7. 3 options in blue ink- Start a Pool, Join Pool, Manage Pools- choose Join a Pool

8. From 6 options- Anyone, Prize, Media, Business, Team Fans & Autopools – choose Media

9. Under Media you will find the Quick News Quinta Sentinels Pool- click on it

10. If it asks for a password for this pool- it is- SCQN1888
———————————-

You can still get transferred into our pool too- as you can be in more than one pool at no cost.

Jimbo67
June 19, 2024 12:52 pm

Afternoon

I am sorry but I am very cynical about Celtic signing anybody before, at the earliest, we are already playing pre-season games.

We clinched the league in the last week of the season after a frequently unconvincing season. I think back to summers like 1979, 1982, 1986, 1998 and 2008 when after scraping over the line to win the league we made few if any signings until the new season had kicked off. We did not retain our title in every one of the following seasons. Why successive Celtic regimes have chosen to repeat this mistake so often I will leave to the cynical but given the continued presence of Peter Lawwell at the club I cannot express any confidence that this trend will be bucked

Jimbo

SteveNaive
June 19, 2024 1:31 pm

Critic…” It’s been said that in “Waiting For Godot “ nothing happens !

Beckett…. “Twice, nothing happens twice”

June 19, 2024 1:35 pm

Tim Horton,

I missed the post indicating that your wife has moved into a home. I am very sorry to hear this. I hope you have family around you. The current provincial government do not help in these situations…indicating that attempts will be made to find a home within 75 km of your home. Yes, you read that correctly. However, they also indicate that it can be as much as 150 km from your home!

These are tough times for you and you must also look after yourself. You are the custodian of your memories together.

with the humidex we have temps in the 40s here, and these will continue all week. I went to the local dump and there was a guy working working outside, loading cardboard into a trough. Getting out my A/C car was hard enough for me! Oh, to be young and foolish again!

Rebus

Big packy😉😉
June 19, 2024 1:58 pm

Afternoon all and JIm and Magua tim Horton best wishes to you and your family 🙏

Big packy😉😉
June 19, 2024 2:13 pm

Good to see some young posters going over to the estadio nacional went there in ,87 still got goosebumps loved every minute had watched it in 67 as a 14 year old but to see it in the flesh is something else 😎👍

June 19, 2024 2:25 pm

Even a so called ‘wee’ team like Albania look like they all know what they are doing. Cohesion, teamwork, organization, discipline, speed, movement, energy, working hard for each other, it’s all there. ( So far, at least ).

June 19, 2024 2:36 pm

A thing of beauty

June 19, 2024 10:10 am
Bmcuwp,
“Slightly panicked outlook in regard to the transfer front.………Until 1st July I am going to remain calm and trust that BR has won his personal battle with the fat controller and has full control.”
————————————-
Call yourself a doommonger? Sorry ma’am, you have quite a bit to learn in that regard.🤣😅😂
Iniquitous IV😊
P.S. Hope you are enjoying Lisbon. Wonderful city.

Big packy😉😉
June 19, 2024 2:44 pm

We will be cannon fodder in the champions League unless big feçkin Pete spends some money won’t be holding my breath another true story 😉 😉

Big packy😉😉
June 19, 2024 2:54 pm

Remember going to parkhead in the late sixties early seventies we were the king’s of Europe FFS look at us now get lawell Tae feck out of parkhead 🙏

June 19, 2024 2:55 pm

Chiellini looks like a Mafia hitman who wandered into the studio by mistake, but stayed because he knew a bit aboot fitba’.

Has more insight than all the other buffoons put together.

June 19, 2024 3:21 pm

Kovacic and Modric dictating the game now. Albania under a lot of pressure.

Big packy😉😉
June 19, 2024 3:32 pm

Wee Joan just got a fire stick delivered from Amazon she is over the moon when she finds out where to plug it in she will be even happier still I’ve looked at the fireplace for the the life of me can’t see any sockets to plug anything in where is Aswgl when you need him 👍

June 19, 2024 3:33 pm

Croatia 1-1

A Thing Of Beauty
June 19, 2024 3:34 pm

Just back from my pilgrimage to the estadio national. I have to say it was very emotional and I got quite teary in the dressing room and tunnel. Imagine how an event that happened before I was born could affect a person/people in such a way. We are indebted to the Lions for what they gave our club, a place in history done playing beautiful, inventive football.
I have to also thank the sucrity guard who gave us all the access we wanted except to the pitch and to Mr ATOB who walked miles with me today despite not having any interest in football at all. I’m feeling very blessed today.

June 19, 2024 3:35 pm

Croatia 2-1

June 19, 2024 3:35 pm

It is too early to get nervous about incomings. Most of what appears in tge press is either poor guess work, or politically motivated junk designed to cause discontent.

The Liverpool goalie is a good example. He has been out of our price range for at least a year.

Not much is known about Bernardo’s situation. Is it tge fee or is it some aspect of wages. The latter is more complex than just the weekly wage. There are other factors such as the contract duration, incentives and a signing bonus. On top of that there are agents’ fees and a release clause. Any one of those aspects could hold up completion. Some, but not all, could kill the deal. The press do not know what is going on so they throw up wage demands as a simplistic, vague term that covers many aspects.

Celtic are in a difficult position w.r.t transfers. Firstly, there was the debacle of last summer with much deadwood recruited. Some of this needs to be moved on. Players like Tilio, Kwon will be financial losses. Lagerbielke will likely be a money loser, though a loan and future purchase may save the day. There is something very strange about this one 😱

Secondly, the players that Celtic need are in the 6-8 million range and will be much in demand. Most will wait for mote attractive offers…a better league, more money, better weather etc.

Thirdly, there has been change at the senior recruitment level and there is bound to be some targets from the previous regime that need re-evaluated, and, probably dumped. We shall not be as lucky again hiring a manager who knows a feasible market like Japan. Brighton have been successful in South America but our efforts there are patchy, at best. Izzaguirre, Bernabei, and Scheidt come to mind.

i am not concerned yet because everyone deserves a holiday. BR and the senior admin will be offski for 2-3 weeks. Let’s give them a chance. Somethings seem to happening with Bernardo and Idah(delays there due managerial change). Miovski is there if we want him and there will be other names we do not know that are being progressed. I am not a nervous nellie yet.

Rebus

June 19, 2024 3:37 pm

A THING OF BEAUTY

Congratulations on your pilgrimage. It will stay with you the rest of your life.
HH😊

June 19, 2024 3:54 pm

2-2

SFTB
June 19, 2024 3:54 pm

Interesting story from Fran Alonso on Celtic Star about SFA cheating in the women’s game during Covid Year:-

June 19, 2024 3:54 pm

What a gutsy team!

Margaret McGill
June 19, 2024 3:57 pm

Well done Albania!

June 19, 2024 3:57 pm

What a game!

June 19, 2024 4:03 pm

In England, the Liberal Democratic party will announce their new sports platform in an ad during half time of England’s game against Switzerland tomorrow. The platform will include:

Free EPL games on domestic TV;

Reform of season ticket pricing; and

Changes to club ownership rules

June 19, 2024 4:04 pm

Football is life. Life is politics. Football is politics.

Margaret McGill
June 19, 2024 4:06 pm

Cant bear to watch Scotland Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance to the radio

Last edited 29 days ago by Margaret McGill
June 19, 2024 4:07 pm

Here are the 9 Abanian top league teams in their Kategoria Superiore where many of their players start off:

Dinamo Tirana
Egnatia
Erzeni
Kukesi
Laci
Partizani Tirana
Skenderbeu
Teuta
Vilaznia

Not a lot of household names there. The smallest stadium holds 4,000, and the largest 16,000. They have scored 3 goals against 2 of the best teams in the world, playing exciting, attacking football. I would bet that none of their players are familiar to most posters.

What are Scotland doing wrong?

O.K. Don’t answer that. We all know.😱

June 19, 2024 4:13 pm

Getting a bit sick of seeing constant reruns of Germany’s 5 goals against us. Doubtless many more before 3:00pm EST.

1 2 3 10