You couldn’t make it up!

The season hasn’t even started, but the bullshit has. Even before the league fixtures have been announced we have ourselves a stadium out of commission, with all the problems that entails.
Those problems include not being able to play at home for the crucial Champions League qualifiers, the biggest game of the season shall see the loss of one of the teams biggest weapons, the partisan crowd. As I type, their own support are unaware where exactly the hugely important game will actually take place.
It won’t be Hampden, who simply cannot halt their summer plans of concerts and a new pitch getting laid. My money is on Murrayfield, not even a football ground.

The SPL board should hammer them, a board which our CEO recently joined.
And that’s where the bullshit will really start, you just know ‘the unseen fenian hand’ will get apportioned some of the blame for the fine that must come. You just know they will point at the sacked scapegoat and yell ‘dealt with enough’ then scream blue murder (ironic phrase on this occasion) over what should be a record amount of financial punishment.

You just know their manager has his excuses ready, the media will follow suit. If he fails to navigate the CL qualifiers, if they drop points in another stadium, he will point to the lack of Ibrox. If he wins his games he’s a genius that didn’t need Ibrox. He’s been handed a get out of jail free card, he’s about the only winner here.
Not only that but he actually looks a bit clever in hindsight, he’s already signed a few of Real Madrids next Galacticos by giving them the stadium tour before the cranes moved in and the delay was announced. Clever, very clever my son.
I’d have done the same, except not being a Mickey Mouse operation means I will never need to. He’s won the off season Cup by a mile bhoys.

There’s plenty losers in this absurd turn of events.
The average fan for starters, routine absolutely chucked out the window.
The local to Ibrox hostelries who shall lose out on much needed income.
The broadcasters, deprived of a proper home atmosphere for those big qualification games and league opening fixtures.
Public transport goers and simply the public come matchday, all of a sudden the marauding mob will appear in an area unfamiliar with that element.
The image of Scottish football, ahem.
The integrity of the SPL.

On the latter I can hear it now, and I’ll publicly predict it. This will become the ‘we weren’t given a chance’ season.
The financial hit of both Hampden and non CL qualification, alongside FSR, shall hamstring that operation who shall then through their fans with typewriters espouse the message their hands were tied by these malicious set of circumstances, when the reality is its quite simply a mess of their own making.
But you won’t read that in the main stream media of course.

Next spare a thought for the poor fixture computer. If it dares spit out a derby clash, a R2ngers at home derby clash during this spell, the poor wee computer chip shall be labeled a Tim, accused of ‘fixing’ the seasons outcome.
As they are usually black in colour, it’s somewhat ironic that all through last season we also thought those in black to be match fixing.
The outcry for such an occurrence would be immense, but if the fixture computer is actually random,,,
As of this moment one month into the season delay is the chat, but shit happens, especially over there. That could be best case scenario, the positive spin. No one would be surprised if the lockout rumbled on longer. Surely the quintessential British club should have bought British steel and happily paid their dues to the exchequer? Aye right, on the cheap Asian stuff, it better be upto standard and it’s not only R2ngers on the hook for the approval but Glasgow City Council itself.

One thing that wasn’t random was the selection of Willie Collum to head up the refs starting next season, and with today’s news he will be under more pressure. If that club is already away from home but it’s an official home fixture, they will expect an extra helping hand just like last time, every time. Yet Willy is expected to be a fresh broom!? The two don’t mix. Or will they? Either way, Willie is onto a loser before he’s even started as one side or the other will be furious at him. Damned if he does (by us and others), damned if he doesn’t by that clubs officials, supporters, and all sections of the media. I give him a year, then it truly is time to call in the foreigners.

Finally my friends, the final irony of this situation, is that it was an endeavor embarked upon for monetary gain with extra seating being installed (600). This episode shall cost a whole lot more than their income increase, infact it shall be many years before those 600 viewing positions actually become profitable now.
The second biggest team in the land effed up a post season small scale stadium expansion,,, only in Scotland, only in the SPL.
You couldn’t make it up!

By Mahe sentinelcelts@gmail.com

Notify of
June 22, 2024 10:04 pm

One of the best banners ever ‘Alcoholism versus Communism’ Scotland Russia Malaga1982 👍 🍺 😎

Last edited 20 days ago by Gordon64
Jimbo67
June 22, 2024 10:16 pm

Evening

Listening to all this stuff about offside and specifically Lukaku’s disallowed goal tonight:

As the rule stands the goal was rightly disallowed. It is the rule that is wrong.

Personally I think offside rule is a needless complication of a simple game and I’d get rid of it tomorrow. But if we have to have it why not make it that all of the attacker has to be in front of the defending team’s last outfield player to be offside? And I mean all of that defending player – including an arm or two.

Jimbo

Billy Bhoy
June 22, 2024 10:40 pm

Jimbo

Arsene Wenger has put forward a proposal to introduce a clear daylight offside rule IE no kneecap offside like Lukaku tonight. I think its being trialled next season.

It’s been done before but never took hold. Hopefully this time it will succeed. The cancellation of that goal tonight was a crime against football – and not only because I had 3-0 on our Superbru! 😉

Margaret McGill
June 22, 2024 10:49 pm

I think the next logical step after VAR is timeouts. Every 2 minutes for 3 minutes. Makes the games faster fairer and at the end of the day no one really gives a fuck. Also good for advertising. Win win.

Jimbo67
June 22, 2024 10:55 pm

Billybhoy

I hope that the rule change sticks then. As it stands the offside rule favours defenders and rewards negativiity or even- as with tonight’s disallowed goal- bad defending.

Jimbo

June 22, 2024 11:43 pm

Best thing about the Euros is the automated offside rule and the reduction in added time on 👍😎

June 22, 2024 11:46 pm

Giving up on Ecuador vs Venezuela from the Forty-Niners Stadium. Another poor game.
Valencia sent off for Ecuador, but they still lead 1-0 after 43 minutes.
Nighty night.😊

June 22, 2024 11:50 pm

G64

there is a chip in the ball which apparently allows them to make calls like offside and handball much more quickly.

meanwhile, im hearing the SPL is considering a request by several clubs to allow them to save some money bu playing games in the local park, and using sweaters for goals.

June 22, 2024 11:51 pm

What’s this story you can’t find on SMSM about Ibrox falling apart, building work stalled, no steel and the stadium being riddled with asbestos 🤔

Last edited 20 days ago by Gordon64
June 23, 2024 12:07 am

Taylor is the obvious replacement for KT however we know SC will go with McKenna for defensive reasons. If we want to win the game Jamsie is a must play but as we know SC doesn’t play wingers 🤔 Calmac was outstanding against Switzerland and will be our key player and i hope beyond hope Tony scores a late winner from a corner 🙏

June 23, 2024 12:18 am

Against the Swiss Calmac was our best player on the park by a distance. At the goal he made a lung bursting 50yd run to get on the end of Robertson’s pass to pull it back for McTominays shot. And yet CM was criticised for hitting a heavy pass 🤔 Not to mention the garbage directed @ AR from McCann et all 🙉

Last edited 20 days ago by Gordon64
June 23, 2024 12:37 am

16 roads
June 23, 2024 5:44 am
Last edited 20 days ago by 16 roads
June 23, 2024 8:57 am

Good morning, friends. COYBIB

EURO 24 LEAGUE TABLE
( includes results up to and including Friday 21st )
1 GERMANY 6 (+6) 5-1, 2-0
20 GEORGIA 1 (-2) 1-3, 1-1
21 CROATIA 1 (-3) 0-3, 2-2
22 SCOTLAND 1 (-4) 1-5, 1-1
23 POLAND 0 (-3) 1-2, 1-3
24 HUNGARY 0 (-4) 1-3, 0-2

CURRENT STANDINGS AND MOST LIKELY OUTCOMES FOR GROUPS B to F
GROUP A: Germany 6, Switzerland 4, Scotland 1, Hungary 0 (Ger v Swi, Sco v Hun)
GROUP B: Spain 6, Italy 3, Albania 1, Croatia 1 (Spa v Alb, Ita v Cro) 3rd place 1 pt?
GROUP C: England 4, Denmark 2, Slovenia 2, Serbia 1 (Eng v Slo, Den v Ser) 3rd place 2 pts?
GROUP D: Netherlands 4, France 4, Austria 3, Poland 0 (Net v Aus, Fra v Pol) 3rd place 3 pts?
GROUP E: Belgium 3, Romania 3, Slovakia 3, Ukraine 3 (Bel v Slo, Rom v Ukr) 3rd place 4 pts?
GROUP F: Portugal 6, Turkey 3, Czech 1, Georgia 1 (Por v Geo, Tur v Cze) 3rd place 1 pt?

San Luis
June 23, 2024 9:35 am

Good work Jobo.

Part of me would love to see Slovenia take a victory over England, unlikely as it seems , but that could impact Scotland….if Scotland can take the big leap forward tonight.

How likely that is, I’m not certain. Hungary looked very useful and are typical of eastern European teams with excellent technical ability and organisation. Glorious failure again or Glorious feelings of euphoria??
Elsewhere, Group B 3rd will be a 3 point minimum but possibly 4? Also Czech to beat Turkey, so another 3 point group for 3rd.

So, if Scotland win, they should be certain to qualify.

Last edited 19 days ago by San Luis
June 23, 2024 10:51 am

SANLUIS

Pretty accurate assessment of where we are. Which is-struggling! We’ve certainly got our fair share of very tired players,and that’s something that isn’t limited to our squad. England are perhaps the best examples. Italy too,and France.

Some of the other,less fancied,sides which maybe don’t have players playing at the top levels of England,Italy or Spain,seem to be performing better. Not that such things are a problem to Germany,right enough!

I’d love us to qualify,sod who we get next. I’m sure the players feel the same.

Call me Gerry
June 23, 2024 11:25 am

INIQUITOUS IV (from yesterday)

With all teams having played twice, Scotland are dead last of the six 3rd place teams.
Colour me surprised.
———————————————————
Sorry mate, but that’s quite a ridiculous post and viewpoint (imo).

Kinda reminded me of the moaning Sevconian who said (I’m paraphrasing here) if only games ended in 85 mins, we’d have won more points!!

Games finish, and points are awarded, after the final whistle. Leagues are won at seasons end, not in October. Qualification from the Euros group stage is determined after all teams have played ALL three games…not two-thirds of the way through!

Did you post after the first round of group games, to say Scotland were dead last of the 4th place teams?

Did you post after 20 mins of the first game to predict Scotland would be dead last of the “positions after 20 mins” league?

LOL

My point is…let’s wait until ALL teams have played ALL their group games before judging…as that’s when it matters.

Pre-tournament, most folk would agree that 4 pts was the target for progression from groups. I’m sure our manager even stated so publicly. Looking at our group, most folk would agree that 3pts are most likely to be won against Hungary, rather than against the Swiss or Germany. Similarly, we were more likely to gain a point against the Swiss rather than Germany.

So, as I see it, we are progressing (points wise) as expected. No surprise to see us lose v Germany (granted the score and performance were terrible), and we got a hard earned point v the Swiss. Now onto the (on paper) easier game of the three (imo).

in saying all of the above, I am only hopeful of, rather than expecting, a win tonight. Hungary are the bookies favs over 90 mins, (and there is no such thing as a poor bookie!) so we will need to earn the 3 points.

C’mon Scotland! It’s still possible! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

June 23, 2024 11:51 am

Daily Record this morning – The Ibrox club have to hope Scotland’s continued participation at the Euros deflects attention away from their place for a while.

But, given Stevie Clarke is in charge of the national team, that’s a forlorn hope.

—————————————————

Anyone care to have a stab at wtf that means??

ASWGL
June 23, 2024 12:41 pm

BAD It reads very much like, while Scotland continue to compete in the Euros, they are very much this weeks news, and are keeping our very honest reporters of the greatest integrity, too busy to write a damning piece on the current woes at the Asbestos Arena.

However since the Ex-Killie mesiah is in charge of our brave Ecosse warriors we just need to wait for Scotland getting the bus home tomorrow, so the ever honest reporters at the Daily R2ngers can provide us with the unwavering truth behind the latest news from Triggers broom.

DontHoldYourBreath.CSC

SFTB
June 23, 2024 12:42 pm

Superbru Round 2 Update

I found Round 2 results difficult to predict and have dropped from a Top 10 position to below halfway. I knew there would be a few more draws as teams settled for not being defeated and knocked out but I just predicted the wrong fixtures for the draws.

Those that had more success in that are the leaders after Round 2:-

1. Borgo67- 29 pts (moving up 15 places in this round)
  2. Kolncelt- 26 pts ( using local knowledge or just the beer)

3= Knoxy, ACGR, Call Me Gerry, & Drew 67 -25.5 pts (consistent performers thru Rnds 1&2)

At the bottom, leading the wooden spoon race we have:-

1. snapper1969- 9.5 pts (tbf- he missed a few predictions)
  2. Big Jimmy- 13 pts
  3. Por Cierto- 13.5 pts

Most have got their picks in for tonight’s matches- remember an 8 pm deadline for both. Don’t let qualification nerves get the better of you. Can you back the Huns against Scotland?😀

ASWGL
June 23, 2024 12:46 pm

Bada bing, thanks for the Godfather of Harlem recommendation, I had forgotten about it having already watched the first two seaons, so I grabbed season 3 👍

June 23, 2024 1:03 pm

ASWGL- No bother, need to dig out some new stuff

June 23, 2024 1:04 pm

Murray out of Wimbledon, shame

June 23, 2024 1:47 pm

Call me Gerry

June 23, 2024 11:25 am
INIQUITOUS IV (from yesterday)
Colour me surprised.
———————————————————
Sorry mate, but that’s quite a ridiculous post and viewpoint (imo).

—————————————
So, Gerry, you never look at a league table part way through a season?

What about Jobo’s very useful table ranking all 24 Euro teams? You never look at that?

My post pointed out that even if Scotland get 3 points today, our chances of qualifying on goal difference are minimized by our current position. How many competitions have we exited on goal difference?

And I didn’t appreciate the tone of your post.

June 23, 2024 2:10 pm

ASWGL,

I read that multiple times thinking I must be missing summit.

I really thought I was past being astonished at something i read in one of their awful rags.

How patriotic!

June 23, 2024 2:17 pm

Alan Hansen discharged from hospital

ASWGL
June 23, 2024 2:25 pm

lac
June 23, 2024 3:05 pm

Have we signed a keeper yet ?

June 23, 2024 3:13 pm

June 23, 2024 3:05 pm
Have we signed a keeper yet ?
———————————-
Celtic fly out to the US here on July 16.

If we sign a foreign keeper in the next couple of weeks, he may need a visa.

I’m looking out an old yellow jersey just in case I need to back up Bain if he gets injured or sick.😱

Last edited 19 days ago by INIQUITOUS IV
Call me Gerry
June 23, 2024 4:03 pm

Iniquitous VI @ 1:47 pm

And I didn’t appreciate the tone of your post.
—————————————————
I’m not sure how you misconstrued my post. It was not written with the intention to offend anyone. But, I guess your response validates my reasoning for predominantly lurking rather than posting on blogs.

Using texts as a communication mechanism can lead to many posts getting misread, misinterpreted, or taken out of context. I’ve read many posts (that I would consider to be reasonable) that another poster has taken offence to, and before you know it, the initial poster (with reasonable intentions) has got embroiled into a tit-for-tat with a snowflake.

I fear we will have to agree to disagree on whether it is appropriate to criticise Scotland two-thirds of the way through the group stages. We are drawn against three teams ranked above us by FIFA. We’ve lost to the highest ranked team in our group. We’ve drawn against the second highest ranked team in our group. And tonight we play against the team closest to our own ranking, knowing a win should see us progress fro the group stages for the first time ever.

Personslly, I thought you were premature in using your tone of criticism towards Scotland.

As I said, we’ll need to agree to disagree. Nothing wrong with that. No need to take offence. We’re all grown ups. Even snowflakes.

😉

Last edited 19 days ago by Call me Gerry
San Luis
June 23, 2024 4:27 pm

BM @10:51

Agreed fully. The feeling of being the first Scottish team to qualify for the knock out rounds of an international tournament would over compensate for any recent feelings of tiredness, or indeed, inequality.

June 23, 2024 4:31 pm

I’m in Bowness-On-Windermere for a week and had my Scotland top on, I had a few beers in town. I was delighted at how many English wished me good luck today!

Last edited 19 days ago by Prestonpans bhoys
SFTB
June 23, 2024 4:45 pm

I think I can make a fair claim to being James Forrest’s biggest fan on here. I was praising him before it was ever fashionable to do so.

However, calls for James to replace Tony Ralston in tonight’s line up are mistaken in my view.

James cannot play as a wing back and is not a great bet for lasting 90 minutes as a starter in a demanding position. He is not tall and is not a good tackler. If James is to play, it will be either as an impact sub, when we need a goal, or as a support to the main striker- the job done by Ryan Christie and John McGann in the last 2 games.

Because of injuries we are stuck with back up options at RB- Ralston & McCrorie- neither are great bets against a Musiala level player.

I think Tony will get the nod because of Ross McCrorie’s greater limitations and because he finished strongly despite his mistake.

If Stevie Clarke were to drop him, I would suggest another strong running tackler in the squad to replace him, even though he has never played the position as far as I know. That player is Stuart Armstrong- taller than James- better engine for the running demands and a decent tackler. He can cross a ball and do cut-backs if needed. The other decent option would have been Kieran Tierney, unfortunately.

I expect a fairly similar line up with McGinn keeping his place and Superstar wee Billy replacing him in midfield. I expect Scott McKenna will get Tierney’s place alongside Handley & Hendry.

In all honesty, the Hungarians have shown up better than us so far and are slight favourites but, with 2 defeats behind, if we can survive the early storm and get the opener ourselves, I can see them becoming less controlled and desperate. The old fascist PM Orban has put a lot of money and identity into Hungarian football- they will be desperate to repay him and their people. They also have a couple of players more skilful than our best.

But, we have the burden of history as a motivator and this particular Scotland squad, much moe limited than any other Scotland team in a tournament finals, will make history tonight but, as with all previous games, it will not be an easy watch or an easy win. Steve Clarke, if it is he, has a major rebuild on his hands when this tourney is over. Time to get some younger players in this squad.

June 23, 2024 5:01 pm

AFTERNOON ALL AND JIM AND MAGUA yes scotland tonight im in two minds the first is i was born in bellshill maternity hospital in 1953 but growing up i was a taig a fenian bassa because I went to a catholic school that was scotland for you at the time, think hopefully it has changed now for the better, so hope scotland win and james forrest plays he could be a matchwinner another true story.LOL 😂

SFTB
June 23, 2024 5:09 pm

Still to trap for Superbru tonight are:- BelmontBrian63, Celtic Mac, Hamiltontim & Scaniel

June 23, 2024 5:19 pm

CALL ME GERRY
Well, I see you’re still at it.

If you lurk regularly on this site, you will often read of disagreements between posters.
I am often wrong, and other posters, some of whom I know personally, and others not, set me straight. It is done without sarcasm, or ridicule, often with humour, is supremely well managed by BMCUWP, and I do not mind a bit being corrected.

You think I’m misreading, misinterpreting, or taking out of context you calling my post ridiculous, likening me to a moaning Sevconian and now calling me a snowflake?

If so, then maybe you need to radically re-assess your communication skills, or just return to lurking, because my first reaction was to let you know where you could place your post, and I can assure you that you would have found it to be anatomically difficult. This I didn’t do, as BMCUWP would assuredly have deleted it and given me a yellow card.

June 23, 2024 5:57 pm

Inq

since SC is under the umbrella of the SFA, it is bound by the laws of the SFA. You may have forgotten that for years now, a Celtic player or poster can be booked not only for what he says (or in your case, posts), but also for what he thinks. It believe it is called the Bertie Auld-Tiny Wharton law.

🙂

June 23, 2024 6:10 pm

FFS MIKE tiny wharton didn’t realise you were that old,another, true story.LOL 😂

June 23, 2024 6:16 pm

tiny wharton by the way he was 6 foot 3 inches, shook john Greg’s hand in a famous picture with the masonic handshake, I was there another true story.LOL 😂

June 23, 2024 6:54 pm

Gunn, Ralston, Hendry, Hanley, McKenna, Robertson, Gilmour, McGregor, McTominay, McGinn, Adams.

June 23, 2024 7:05 pm

I have a dream

June 23, 2024 7:21 pm

Need to close down Szoboszlai from the get go

Last edited 19 days ago by Gordon64
June 23, 2024 7:25 pm

How many games has our captain played this season 🤔

June 23, 2024 7:32 pm

June 23, 2024 7:41 pm

Apparently the ref for Scotland’s game is known to be a bit card happy … once red carded ten (yes, ten)players in a South American match!

June 23, 2024 7:46 pm

For anyone not watching the game

June 23, 2024 7:48 pm