The young,the old, the brave, the bold

Seeing as how there’s little actual news on the ground regarding our beloved Glasgow Celtic, and given the recent blog chat on youth football alongside the failure of the Scottish national team to register a win, I thought I would focus on an actual confirmed piece of information.

A young West Belfast man is joining Celtic on trial, the bad news is its not me, the good news is he’s a cracker. He’s a striker that lifted two trophies during the season, and successfully made the leap from under 16’s to under 19’s no problem. Thankfully it’s not just training, there’s a match lined up on the 12th (no other info needed, there’s only one 12th doesn’t need a follow-up) for young Shay Reid to strut his stuff and hopefully seal the deal.

However when one reads the actual article, more info comes to light. This kid is only one of five heading for trials in Scotland or England this summer, even before making any first team impact. That’s half the outfield being coveted by others. Others at a decent level, not just lowly clubs.
Which begs the question, potential feeder club? Cliftonville FC certainly tick all the boxes.
But the bigger question is what to do with such a talent in the here and now, plus tomorrow?

One look at his photo tells you Shay Reid is no Wayne Rooney, a boy in a man’s body just begging to be unleashed upon top flight football. But on the hand there’s a constant discussion on the blog about how talent is being stifled by the genuine lack of youth setup in Alba.
So what’s a bhoy to do?

Trying to not sound melodramatic, we absolutely cannot stall or even worse damage his career in a game he looks destined to play.
I have several points to make on this precise issue.

For starters, the very last thing our club should do is prove a dead end to what looks like a talent factory. Okay, the three heading to Hibs on trial may not pass the eyeball test nor be Celtic quality, but if you select the cream of the crop it’s wise to not screw it up, not only in the short term but over the medium and longterm for the sake of that relationship. It’s essential he be handled correctly lest relationships be damaged to the point of Celtic being avoided by emerging talent. And this is a Nationalist club, many will have natural allegiance to Celtic rather than the Nae-Steelmen.

Secondly, and I admit I’m biased here, but this is a West Belfast lad I’m talking about. The place I do and always will consider home, one of the Celtic heartlands. It’s been soo long since we were represented on that hallowed turf. You’re talking about a place that looks like losing the Euros over lack of funding, a place heavily involved in GAA, a place looking for its new pride in a new era.
A place that could do with Shay spearheading a new generation of Celtic fans and players, rejuvenating interest in the club from the EPL crowd, people that should be given genuine reasons for travelling/getting involved/getting behind Glasgow Celtic in bigger numbers.
The club often exploits the Irish connection, when a serious talent emerges opportunity is knocking to do the opposite and embrace it. That heartlands eyes shall turn eastward if he signs up, the club cannot afford to disappoint them or Shay. A West Belfast man leading the line at Parkhead would see extra interest the likes of which only Martin brought, and cement generations of support and players striving to emulate. Extra ferries and busses? Aye, and increase the stadium capacity!

Thirdly, I cannot think of a better manager for the situation, thank God the ruthless and cold Ange has replaced by the warm and knowledgeable Brendan, who encounters an unexpected bonus with a top young talent wanting to join and play for the club. I can imagine the gaffer out to help everybody involved, the kid, his family, his career, the club he manages, his renewed reputation. I’m confident he shall opt for what’s best, the problem is, I’ve no idea what that is!?

Do we buy and loan back, let him enter the Cliftonvile 1st team and mature for one year maybe two?
Do we bed him in with the reserves and prep him for first team service?
Do we send him to Austria via Admira Wacker?
Do we say eff it and give him ten minutes in the SPL when the games won?
Do we buy and loan to Saint Mirren?

Those decisions are why the manager gets the big bucks, but I personally would opt for buying and loaning back for a year, my assumption being the kid has another startling season (given hes doubly motivated) with the aim of joining the first team squad next summer and impressing everyone from there.

The very last thing I want is another Tony Ralston job, been at Celtic for donkeys years and barely played. Backup at best, in which case the player should have opted for first team football elsewhere because that might, just might, have brought enough improvement to get resigned by your boyhood club and re-enter the building as first choice in your position. If not, at least you played the game you love regularly and made a living if not a legend.

It’s a hard one, what to do with what looks like a special 15 year old,, it’s that awkward age where you just wanna play but are the smallest on the park up against not only grown men but sometimes big brutes that will clean you out for nothing more than being born where you’re born, as if you have any say in the matter. The SPL is not the place a small framed forward, I suppose we could stick him in the gym and bulk him up, but that will come naturally as it always does, it’s his God given talent needs honing.
I dare say the training and competition will be a step up from his current club, so in the very short term things will be fine. I hope, as very young Belfast boys don’t like to leave their mummies and they certainly don’t know how to cook if it’s been school and football for years. He will need nurtured, and once again, I’m happy Brendan will be there for him if he signs.

I understand you’re probably rolling your eyes saying ffs Mahe its a schoolboy on trial! But I’m looking at this thinking ‘Do it Son!’
After 40 odd years we might have one of our own signing and hopefully scoring goals for the World famous Glasgow Celtic! Again!
Please never begrudge a man his dreams, for this blog will hit another level if one of my own starts banging ‘em in.
In a transfer window of tumbleweed so far, Shay Reid has captured my interest, I can only hope he captures more with our beloved club and its fantastic fans.

But a genuine question, what would you yourself do with a good 15 year old striker who signs up and want to represent the Hoops?

By Mahe sentinelcelts@gmail.com

Notify of
June 26, 2024 7:56 am

The Sentinel Celts Charity Drive has nominated Blood Cancer UK as the recipient for funds for the six months to 31/07/2024,and we are getting close to achieving our LATEST TARGET.

We have set up a GoFundMe page for those who have some spare cash to donate,even from a lucky windfall or finding a tenner in the street.

Click on the link for more details,including how to donate.

Please give generously to a very deserving cause. Although our first targets have now been achieved-and many thanks for your generosity!-we can always hope to do more.

June 26, 2024 7:57 am

You can read our article on a resolution for improving refereeing standards here.

Join the growing numbers of our readers who have had enough of referees In hun scarves.

June 26, 2024 8:37 am

MAHE

Excellent article,and good to know that there are still Celtic-minded youngsters out there willing and able to make their way in the game via our club.

At his age,I reckon we are best leaving Shay to be nurtured by those who know him best. That’s his family,and the club which has given him his chance and where he feels comfortable. Not that I’m suggesting that Cliftonville is simply a comfort zone,but too much upheaval at an early age might not be the best idea. And 15yo is a very early age.

Sign him for three years and let him stay at Cliftonville for the first season. Have him over to Lennoxtown and Celtic Park for occasional appraisal and discussions with the coaching staff. At the end of the first year,make the decision on his next year. Etc. He is still only a kid,and I think our first priority should be for his personal welfare.

What I certainly don’t want is for him to end up like Jonny Kenny. Ignored,then sent out on loan for two seasons and forgotten about.

Last edited 22 days ago by BOBBY MURDOCH’S CURLED-UP WINKLEPICKERS
Fan
June 26, 2024 8:42 am

The closed mind of our coaches towards youth is the biggest hurdle we face.
A coach who constantly railed against projects.
Also a league that gives free range to hammer throwers especially against Celtic is not an environment for development.
Until our PLC start genuinely complaining and pointing out the corruption of SFA and officialdom nothing will change.

Fan
June 26, 2024 8:58 am

The terribly boring Euro chess championship has me thinking of implication’s
of so many overseas players all being coached in Europe by the possession obsessed
Don’t think it’s coincidental how the Brazil team has declined since most stars are overseas they are pretty boring and predictable.
France looked like
a bottom half EPL team against Poland.
Spain have been pretty but for all their possession lack potency. But the youngster Yamal can get you out of your seat.
Hasn’t succumbed to coaching yet.
Italy only showed intent when in danger of going out.
Germany have some stellar moments but are hampered by fear.
Dutch just want to stay in safety zone with odd flourish.
England look like they pose proudly for pics and become paralysed by fear once game starts.
All players from the above teams have athleticism and skill but seem to have self express stifled to play a low risk boring game!

Last edited 22 days ago by Fan
June 26, 2024 9:02 am

Morning all! It’s a great article, Mahe, full of the hope and optimism that any sport should bring. I have long championed the case for developing our youth players, no matter where they come from but we need to be extremely cautious when taking a boy out of his comfort zone, lessons of the past need to be heeded.
Remember our own Dembele? What’s he up to now, despite being told for abut 4 years he was the next big thing…at 4 foot nothing!!! 😉
Rebus..from yesterday, that was a great post. Thankfully, I’m not as auld as you but your post pointed out exactly where we’ve gone wrong. It was a much more enjoyable read than the constant sniping of how poor we are, we all know it but to read it constantly really gets me down.
A rebuild of the structures of football is what is needed, urgently. Unfortunately, we don not seem to have the wits, the wherewithal or the cajones to tackle it head on. Maybe you could write again to the SFA/SPFL and offer your services again! 😁

June 26, 2024 9:24 am

FAN

The more games I’ve subjected myself to in these group stages,the more concerned I am about the widening of the net to include teams who have neither right nor reason to be there. That’s not me saying that tournaments aren’t for “diddy teams”-after all,Celtic in 1966 would have fallen into that bracket,as would the great Dutch teams of the late 60s and 70s,not to mention international sides like,again,the Dutch,Danes,and almost all African sides.

The format of the tournament group stages is flawed. There is an expectation that winning once and not losing the other two will get you through to the group stages-and sadly that has seen too many sides win their first game and then try to avoid losing the other two. Even the CL,with six group games,is set up to mean that beating the big fish in your group almost certainly puts you through,as that big fish then has to try harder against the other two minnows.

That’s why this tournament has already seemed stale,on top of the players being knackered from a long season. I’m still confident that,like the CL,the knockout stages will see a vast improvement. Unless they’ve all been been practicing penalties non-stop.

June 26, 2024 9:31 am

This article from The Athletic seems to back up my point.

June 26, 2024 10:08 am
Last edited 22 days ago by BOBBY MURDOCH’S CURLED-UP WINKLEPICKERS
June 26, 2024 11:10 am

Age is probably the real reason Idah wasn’t getting picked to lead the line for Norwich last year.
Because of the pressure these managers feel they are under, young players just aren’t trusted enough.
World football is now crammed full of 20yo with almost zero playing time at anything above youth football.
Sevco will start this season with at least half a dozen of them in their team.
I would like to see Bosun Lawal given a chance to stake a claim to a place in our midfield this season.
I’d also like to see us give more of a chance to lads like Kelly and Vata.
These boys wouldn’t be here if they weren’t good players, so why can’t they make the step up? It’s still the same game they are playing!

As John Lennon said – Give youth a chance ☺

June 26, 2024 11:57 am

JOBO,BADABING

Can you contact me please re how to get your winnings to you from the naps competition?

bmcuwp@gmail.com

Last edited 22 days ago by BOBBY MURDOCH’S CURLED-UP WINKLEPICKERS
June 26, 2024 12:24 pm

Good afternoon, friends. I think there may be some dodgy shenanigans afoot in this afternoon’s 5pm games. The scores so far have been Romania 3 Ukraine 0, Belgium 0 Slovakia 1, Slovakia 1 Ukraine 2, Belgium 2 Romania 0. So all 4 teams have 3 points and the table order is down to goal difference (as head to heads don’t work in such circumstances). The table is –
Romania GD +1 (scored 3)
Belgium GD +1 (but only scored 2)
Slovakia GD 0
Ukraine GD -2
Looking at the bet 365 odds for the Romania v Slovakia game are very unusual – the draw is just 11/10, and a correct score 0-0 bet is only priced at 10/3. To have over 2.5 goals in the game (usually around evens) is priced at 12/5.
And the reason? Well, should Romania and Slovakia draw they are both definitely through to the knock out stages. If the other game ends in a draw, the current table will be unchanged. If the other game ended up with a win for either Ukraine or Belgium, the winner would top the group, the loser would finish bottom – again, Romania would be through (but in 2nd place, not as winners) with Slovakia first.
The Romania v Slovakia game has nil nil borefest written all over it!!
I think I’ve got my workings correct on this…

SFTB
June 26, 2024 12:30 pm

Brief Superbru Update

With one set of matches to complete before Round 3 is updated, our leaderboard is:-

1. Borgo67- 30.5 pts
  2. Jobo Baldie – The Spreadsheet Maestro- 29 pts

3= Call me Gerry & hairlikespaghetti- 28.5 pts

Bognorbhoy, celtic mac, MWD1967 & Spaniël still to trap for today’s fixtures.

Could I ask again, if anyone has not yet paid their entry fee, could you forward money to arc in one of the following manners:-

By cash in person to CRC if you see him
By bank transfer to
Account name: Walk With Shay
Account number: 15326765
Sort code: 80-22-60
Bank: Bank of Scotland
Ref: Enter your name or blog moniker (so we can identify you and check off that you’ve paid!)
By paypal to walkwithshay@yahoo.com (please send as gift, so prize money pot is not diminished by paypal charges).

June 26, 2024 12:39 pm

JOBO

Good spot. I chucked (away) a fiver on three 0-0 inc Czech v Turkey. Worth it for £1906 if it comes up.

Reminds me of about twenty years ago when Swindon were at home to Hartlepool. If it finished as a draw,Swindon went up and Hartlepool were in the play-offs. Final price for the draw was 13/8 though us locals hammered it early at 9/4,along with the 0-0,1-1 and 2-2.

Finished 2-2,and I don’t think anyone was the least bit surprised. I reckon a few bookies staff in town were amongst our informal syndicate!

Last edited 22 days ago by BOBBY MURDOCH’S CURLED-UP WINKLEPICKERS
Madmitch
June 26, 2024 12:45 pm

We need to unclog the plumbing and get our talent pipeline flowing again.
The collapse of our youth system has been a long time in the making.

M/well influence / St Ninian’s Glee club / sheer laziness — it is all in there.

Euros — better than I expected.
Loads of very well coached teams giving it there all.
And then you have the England group — 5 repeat 5 draws out of six games?
Incredible.

And where are we — back of the pack with an aging squad and a failing manager.
Harder to fail than succeed but we managed it with some aplomb.

Austria shows how it can be done — manager with ambition and talent.
We had none of the first and not enough of the second.

Last edited 22 days ago by Madmitch
June 26, 2024 1:48 pm

afternoon all and JIM and magua FAN from this morning, I told you when we both we’re on cqn and now sentinel celts celtic have been a money pinching club since I first started watching them in 1964 nothing changes they will buy young prospects hoping they will get them some money when they move on they dont give a fuck about the champions league imagine young prospects in the champions league good christ almighty, id boot the whole fuckin board down kerrydale street,another true story.LOL 😂

June 26, 2024 2:03 pm

BMCUW- Any winnings,please donate to the SC chosen charity

Madmitch
June 26, 2024 2:47 pm

Loose thread at the moment — the situation with the P/head pitch.

From memory — 5/6 years ago approx — we got in some specialists to lay a hybrid pitch.
Real grass with some synthetic fibre reinforcement — seemingly state of the art.

Did not turn out well — the grass became infected with some sort of virus.
Next the drainage seemed to be inadequate and it started to degrade / waterlogged.

We are now putting out stuff that we have re-laid the pitch and all is now good.
My issue is the big money on a hybrid pitch that was wasted due to various factors.
Are other teams ripping out their recently laid hybrid pitches?

So what have we laid — is the new pitch a hybrid like before?
If not does that mean we are going backwards regarding pitch quality.
The hybrid pitch was getting rave reviews when it was put down.
Have we given up on it?

Have we done any work regarding upgrading the pitch drainage?
How does our pitch maintenance efforts compare with others in the SPL?
In fact did PL / clone of PL ration the grow lamps during the energy price spike?

Given our current sleepy hollow vibe I fear we have delusions of adequacy regarding our efforts to run the club.

To me failure is never far away.
The hybrid pitch came in at 7 figures plus — happy to be schooled on the situation.

Fan
June 26, 2024 2:52 pm

Big Packy
Unfortunately until the Celtic support decides to withhold its financial support their business model will remain.
The board parasites will continue to feed off our bloated carcass in this small pond.
I have become very apathetic towards a team that occupied my mind 24/7
The fact that modern football is uninspiring adds to my nonchalance doesn’t help.
There’s none so blind.

Last edited 22 days ago by Fan
Madmitch
June 26, 2024 2:57 pm

P/head hybrid pitch — put in two instalments.
Summer of 2017 and 2018 from a quick google search.
The cost at the time was given as £2mill plus.

Comment was made about its poor state in the winter of 2020/21.
To me all of this sounds like an exec management failure to go with the rest of their blooper reel.

The amount of money we waste is incredible.

Normal day to day business that we seem to deal with like amateurs / badly run bowling club.
Maybe bowling club is the wrong analogy — bowling clubs look after their playing surface.

June 26, 2024 3:07 pm

FAN cant see that happening until the celtic support wise up especially the season ticket holders celtic football club is in their hands they either want change or they dont if we want to be cannon fodder in europe for time evermore, they have a choice.another true story.LOL 😂

Drew67
June 26, 2024 3:15 pm

Watchin rerun of slovenia game after night shift.they have very good defence.in particular liked their RB Karnicnik(Celje) and left sided CB Bijol(Udinese).Bijol who is 25 never gave kane a sniff and defended his side of the park brilliantly.transfermarket got him at €10m.

Drew67
June 26, 2024 3:18 pm

And Guy Mowbray commentary insufferable again

Fan
June 26, 2024 3:39 pm

Drew67
Both fullbacks may be good but England never really tested them on flanks.
Only Palmer gave the fullback any challenge when he came on late.
Kane spends to much time on his arse to gain cheap free kicks.
There was too much sideways/ backwards passes for the full backs to be troubled.

June 26, 2024 4:11 pm

There is enough talent in tht England team (with a few holes admittedly) that if they had Klopp, or Guardiola or Ancelotti as coach, the trophy would be as good as theirs already.

Southgate is one of the old generation of British managers (and I include BR in this) who think tactics is setting a team up to play 4231, and that will magically turn the team into Barca.

Fortunately, there are some who are showing that they are willing and able to look forward, such as McKenna, Carrick, Still, and a few….

Watched the Canada Peru game last night … Canada were overwhelmed in the first half, but held their shape and managed to make it to half time 0-0… Marsch made several change to personnel and shape at half time, which turned the game on its head… cant really remember that happening at Celtic too often…

June 26, 2024 4:16 pm

From the club’s Twitter
Sead Hakšabanović has left #CelticFC to join Malmo on a permanent transfer.

Best of luck, Haksa!
🍀

Last edited 22 days ago by Craig 76
June 26, 2024 4:17 pm

jesus fuckin wept mike, who gives a fuck about england I certainly dont ,,another true story.LOL 😂

June 26, 2024 4:19 pm

BP
Just remember there might be some English Celtic supporters that lurk on here, open to all

June 26, 2024 4:24 pm

CRAIG76 do the english celtic supporters support england would love to know,,another true story.LOL 😂

June 26, 2024 4:41 pm

JOBO BALDIE

You’re using logical thinking there mate. It’ll never catch on.😊
Romania are making noises that they want to win the group to give them the maximum advantage in the first knockout game. I was going to watch their game, but your logic has given me pause for thought.

Up to yesterday, I had the option of watching one game on Fox Network or the simultaneous game on Fox Sports. I just found out this morning that if you have both channels, you can download a free Foxsport app so you can watch both at the same time. DOH!!

If I go with that option, the app will be on my IPad, so you lads will be spared my tedious commentary.🤣.
Laters,
Iniquitous IV

Last edited 22 days ago by INIQUITOUS IV
June 26, 2024 4:51 pm

BP

I just want to see good football. Unlike some Celtic fans, I dont think that just because someone wears a green and white strip that makes them good, and anyone who doesn’, isn’t important.

And that England team, with Foden, bellingham and Saka plyaing behind Kane should be a goal machine. But Foden and Bellinghams seem to be tripping over each other… and not feeding Kane who

Having said that, because some of Italian and English pals are a bit full of themselves when it comes to football, I would rather that some other team won.

June 26, 2024 4:57 pm

HI MIKE was only having a laugh with you, hope you understand that, hope you and seamus are well,.another true story.LOL 😂

June 26, 2024 5:01 pm

Wot,no rolling updates? What about us poor sods who can only watch one game at a time?

June 26, 2024 5:03 pm

𝙃𝙖𝙠𝙨𝙖𝙗𝙖𝙣𝙤𝙫𝙞𝙘 𝙫𝙞𝙖 𝙄𝙣𝙨𝙩𝙖𝙜𝙧𝙖𝙢

– “So my time at Celtic has come to an end, earlier than I thought, expected & wanted but some other people had another opinion & I gotta respect that.”

– “I wanna thank the players, the staff & the fans because that is really what Celtic is about. We made some good memories together & I will always have love for Celtic.”

– “Good luck & Celtic are f*****g massive everywhere they go. All the best for the future 🍀”

Magua
June 26, 2024 5:12 pm

Smashing article. Really enjoyed that. As for the headline? I see what you did there. Spancil Hill, if I’m not mistaken.

Big Packy

Howdy, Packy. Hope you and Joan are well.

Hail Hail.

June 26, 2024 5:14 pm

BP

If I think you have crossed a line, you will know … I’ll send Seamus over there to maul you (which would be rather like getting mauled by a 70 lb cotton ball!)

16 roads
June 26, 2024 5:15 pm

See after watching this Euro tripe makes you realise that Scottish football isn’t so bad,after all.

Brutal it is,dire waste of time.

June 26, 2024 5:17 pm

HI MAGUA hope you are well, wee joan sends her best wishes,another true story.LOL 😂

June 26, 2024 5:21 pm

MIKE id never ever fall out with you we have been together since the CQN days remember them hamilton tim tony Donnelly edward ursus kojo the list is endless ,another true story.LOL 😂

16 roads
June 26, 2024 5:21 pm

Once this tournament is over, that’s it.

Never gonna watch another second of football except for Celtic games.

Chess is more of a spectator sport than this mince.

That South American nonsense is even worse.

June 26, 2024 5:31 pm

BP

No way you could ever fall out with me …I’m far too lovable!
🙂

June 26, 2024 5:37 pm

16 R

Not great football as a rule, but only one team has looked like they were so far out of their depth… Scotland.

Even teams like Albania showed more basic ball skill and better coaching than Scotland…

If anything, the fact that Albania can string a few passes together, while Scotland couldn’t, would make me want to watch any football EXCEPT Scottish.

June 26, 2024 5:38 pm

16 ROADS

Too many games have been painful on the eyes. Hoping it improves in the knockout stages.

June 26, 2024 5:41 pm

That Romanian penalty should be shown to Celtic players at training every week.
That’s how to hit a completely unsaveable penalty.
How did the Romanians earn it?
Hagi dive into box.
Where did he learn how to do that?
Answers on a postcard.

June 26, 2024 5:44 pm

Inq

Watch what you say about Hagi… a great player, and a prince of a man.

… and I can assure you that the fact that I have Romania in our football pool has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with my opinion

🙂

June 26, 2024 5:44 pm

BMCUWP.
What game are you watching?
I’ve got Slo-Rom on the TV and the other as an inset on the IPad while typing this.
I’ll be glad to comment on the one you don’t have.
Although there isn’t much happening in either.😊

June 26, 2024 5:47 pm

MIT
His father was one of the best I’ve ever seen, with a left foot that could be a wand or a rocket.
His son is still a Sevco player I believe.
HH😊

Magua
June 26, 2024 5:48 pm

Big Packy

Cheers, Packy. 👍🍀

Hail Hail.

Jimbo67
June 26, 2024 5:50 pm

Afternoon all

Feeling a bit down after being at yet another funeral so bear with me.

Re this year’s Euros I have not seen as much as has often been the case with these junkets but these group stages are fairly typical of tourneys with 24 teams- some good games in the first 2 rounds but the third round drab as too many teams play to have what they hold. Maybe this tourney will come to life in the knockout as the Euros of 2008 and 12 did as well as the Russian World Cup of 6 years ago did but I wish the Euros were as they were in my childhood and adolescence when the finals had a whole 4 teams in them.

It’s probably better for my generation to stop wishing it was like it was up to about 1982 when Charlie Nicholas and Paul McStay were the latest and as it has turned out just about last of the series of fantastically gifted players to come through our own ranks. We have had some very good players come through our youth set up since but Maloney, McGeady, Forrest, McGregor and Tierney are the only really good ones. I am not sure I know whether the St Ninian’s Glee Club exists or what is is* but since it came into being ( should it exist) nothing much good seems to have come from it. It needs to improve and not just be something UEFA saya we have to.

McCaff may be on to something when he bemoans the loss of the old reserve league – which a referee of my acquaintance ( not Crawford Allan ) used to say was the best league to ref as all the players wanted to impress and so it was not a place for hammer throwers as both senior and junior football had become long ago. There is no ‘finishing school’ for our youngsters now.

Personally I think the introduction of the 10 team Premier League of nearly 50 years ago did not help as teams became too fearful of relegation to blood youngsters and also at that time the rise of Jock Wallace’s Rangers whose style and emphasis on brawn was much copied but which to me whose favourite players were the likes of Wee Jimmy, Bobby Murdoch, George Connelly, Charlton, Cruyff, Netzer, Gerson, Tostao and even Charlie Cooke seemed everything that was backward in Scottish football. It seems ever since to be the prevailing modus operandi of Scottish football coaching. I read other day that there are 166000 youngster playing up here and, in my darker moments, I wonder if any are being taught properly.

Some here suggest that the only way we’ll change the minds of/get rid of the board is a boycott. I remain less than convinced that any such thing- should it even be feasible- would bring about much except harm to the team. The board has decided on a strategy of accumulating money in the bank so it looks good on a balance sheet and no other reason but £70m in the bank would give Celtic plenty of insulation against the draught caused by a boycott. I know that paying money to Celtic keeps Lawwell in cashmere coats and Mercedes motor cars but I don’t see that it forbids me from not being happy with what is done with my money. I bear no ill-will to anyone who disagrees with me for still going even if they think that makes me stupid (which I probably am) and I’d certainly buy anybody here a pint ( though not all at once!) but I do get fed up being told I am a mug.

Enough from me. I’m away to raise a glass in memory of an old friend

Jimbo

*Spare me the lecture Mitch- I do think I know what you mean!

June 26, 2024 5:51 pm

Derek Rae’s commentary on Ukraine-Belgium is execrable. Ridiculously affected accent. His pronunciation of De Bruyne and other player names is just farcical.

1 2 3 6