Kinda but not quite

Ah the summertime, don’t you just love it. Beaches, every window open, backyard parties with burnt meat,,,and of course the transfer window is open so everyone is bitching about Celtic’s famous biscuit tin being missing in action. Not every year but most, Ange had them whipped into shape.

Or did he?
You can imagine the conversation,,
“Alright mate, I want these three players on opening day, have them wrapped up and ready to announce.”
“Three on opening day?”
“Yes mate and they are quality, they pass my eye test.”
“Three QUALITY players on opening day? Do you know how much they will cost or what wages they need to come?”
“Yes mate, eight million for the three and 8 grand a week each.”
“Sounds reasonable Ange, I’ll get it done just for you.”
And ‘mate’ breathes a sigh of relief knowing most business has been done for cheap and the manager should be happy and impressed by this new found efficiency.
So while we have pulled the finger out in the past, it suited our suits to do so.
I posit that’s the main reason for that rarest of ducks in a row moments by a notoriously reactive not proactive club.

However that was two and a half years ago, much water has flowed under the bridge. I fully recall my own and some others expectation that despite the numerous ‘fillers and punts’ last season, the Gaffer would get a quality player or two to hang his hat on and excite the supporters. I fully recall my disappointment alongside others that it never occurred. It wasn’t good enough, and thankfully very important others agree, hence the restructure. We have yet to gleam any details, but we can take onboard what’s out there.

The boss said he could have signed 9 players by now, but none that he wanted.
It was nice of him to let us know he’s not having personnel forced upon him, an easy message to extrapolate. Do this mean that long dreamed of quality shall arrive? Well that statement alongside the heavily linked incomings suggest so.

I’ve read the suggestion signing a new keeper your on loan striker and midfielder is simply standing still, but I’m going to disagree with regards to the three particular players.

It would be the most Celtic-like thing to wake upto a 2.5m player tomorrow. Through their mouthpieces it would again be very Celtic-like to blame Benfica overpricing their player, ditto Norwich. It would be easy to stick to the same old, after all the season ticket money is paid and the waiting list is closed, be there or be square.

But we aren’t waking up to that, Brendan told us he won’t be waking up to that either. It’s the week Celtic fly out to the US of A, and I’ve no doubt he wants those three on that plane. Bada tells us Bernardo is incoming, we know Idah wants to join and we are talking to Norwich, others say dealings to get the keeper have increased of late.

My point is, with each player costing over 4 million Euros, with two of those players having proven their quality in the Hoops and that goalie looked good elsewhere,
with no punts arriving or wanted, it’s clear we are indeed raising the bar, not just standing still. A club doesn’t spend circa 17 million on 3 players to stand still, three players with their best years ahead of them, touch wood they all sign. That’s buying well and planning well, something of a stranger to Parkhead.
Paying good money (in Celtic terms) for two of last seasons top contributors to return full time is raising the bar, as is staying over the 4 million mark.

It cannot just be big enough transfer fees though, these players will expect to be handsomely rewarded, the easy answer is if you’re going to reward anyone, award the better players. These chaps will be adding a hefty amount to wage bill, alongside taking a hefty amount out of the bank. We’ve also had departures, Big Joe, Haksabanovic, Tilio and Bernabei getting loaned again.
While one might say standing still, another might say streamlining, upgrading, growing up at last if you will.
“We’re keeping the better players, losing the lesser ones’ might sound very Ange-like business, but one must admit its different when the new targets are all 4 million plus Europeans, some might cost as high as 6 plus addon’s, on good wages.
Ange didn’t get that much leeway, Brendan won more points than him on Europe’s biggest stage in his first season back, with his team. And he’s more committed, proving true to his word, and he’s a winner. That was one hell of a double he just pulled off.
And he’s promised another two years.
So this summer is kinda but not quite the same. Slow outta traps, aye as usual. Better horses than usual emerging? Sure looks, sounds, and reads that way.

But ultimately the biggest thing summer affords is the ending of asking a certain question. The ending of an era, the slaying of the dragon.
Because if he honestly isn’t entertaining lesser players and is going 4plus on the gooduns on good wages, no longer shall we read the words that have haunted us for a long stretch of our adult life’s.
Peter’s buying the players.
Only four words, but the implication and real life consequences went much deeper.

We are those three signings away from putting that legacy to death once and for all, and that, I shall never consider standing still.

By Mahe sentinelcelts@gmail.com

Notify of
July 11, 2024 1:18 am

Nunez misses really good chance, hits post.

Last edited 1 day ago by INIQUITOUS IV
July 11, 2024 1:23 am

Nunez misses a chance from the exact position Watkins scored from today.

July 11, 2024 1:26 am

Game being played at frenetic pace, and really hard fought. Tremendous amount of skill being displayed, but these players are also hard, tough hombres.

July 11, 2024 1:28 am

Nunez puts another shot over the bar. He could have had a hat trick by now.

July 11, 2024 1:35 am

Now Colombia just miss with a header.

July 11, 2024 1:36 am

Bentancur off injured for Uruguay, replaced by Varela.

Last edited 1 day ago by INIQUITOUS IV
July 11, 2024 1:40 am

Colombia 1-0. Header from a corner.

July 11, 2024 1:42 am

Huge leap by Lerma steer ball just inside keeper’s right post.

July 11, 2024 1:44 am

Bielsa trying to lift his team.

July 11, 2024 1:45 am

Brilliant save from Uruguay keeper.

July 11, 2024 1:47 am

Clear violent conduct by Colombian behind refs back. Should be off.

He is.

July 11, 2024 1:49 am

VAR official must have informed ref, as he didn’t see it.

July 11, 2024 1:50 am

Luis Diaz playing brilliantly.

July 11, 2024 1:51 am

HT.
Superb game, but I huftae scoot.
Nitey nite.

Chairbhoy
July 11, 2024 5:22 am

Good Morning Sentinels…

Enjoyed the game last night, a good run out and O’Riley looking good, a Kyogo hattrick and Oh making an impact was great.

Of course a lot of youngsters got an opportunity and some Monklands back four.

Dane from Airdrie and Stephen from Coatbridge.

Thanks for the fine reply to my post on Monday morning INIQUITOUS IV – didn’t realise I’d be oot oot for so long…

Very good points, very well made – hope you don’t mind, I posted the same comment on CQN and have linked your reply on a post there this morning.

Have A Grand Day

Edit: The link if anyone is interested

Last edited 1 day ago by Chairbhoy
SteveNaive
July 11, 2024 8:49 am

Happy Birthday to my dad.
93 not out.
He loves Celtic
We love him.

July 11, 2024 8:55 am

steve naive happy birthday to your dad, my dad would have been 95 today, and like your dad celtic to the core.HAIL HAIL👍🎂

ernie lynch
July 11, 2024 9:06 am

It wasn’t a penalty, and even if it was, there was no clear and obvious error by the ref so VAR should not have intervened.

VAR is spoiling the game and should be scrapped.

SteveNaive
July 11, 2024 9:07 am

Thanks Big Packy.
Coatbridge man still.
Took me to games and sat me on the barrier in the Jungle.
If it was ‘taken’ I’d oft stand on four beer cans.
Used to wonder why they seemed to stihave beer in them !
Like I did with mine until all seated

July 11, 2024 9:09 am

Steve,

That’s brilliant pal

Hoopy birthday to him.

I’d give anything to have one more day with my best friend.

HH. 💚🍀

A thing of beauty
July 11, 2024 9:14 am

Steve Naive,
Happy birthday to your dad. That’s a marvellous age to reach.
Happy birthday also to bmcuwp. Not as many years as your dad though.

July 11, 2024 9:19 am

Jeez! Reading some comments on last night’s game, I was sure we must have got gubbed!

Imagine my surprise when I learned a team full of reserves won after scoring SIX!

July 11, 2024 9:20 am

happy birthday bobby, your catching up to me 🎂😎👍

July 11, 2024 9:31 am

STEVENAIVE

Congratulations to your Dad. I hope he has a great day-I’ll raise a glass to the fellow birthday Bhoy in a few hours. Like me,I bet his Dad was grateful for him not being a day later!

SteveNaive
July 11, 2024 9:32 am

Thanks lads.
Many happy returns to Bobby.
With age comes wisdom 😀

July 11, 2024 9:32 am

There is no truth in the rumour that my Dad looked at his watch that day and started pulling!

July 11, 2024 9:33 am

BIGPACKY

I know,but you’ll streak ahead again in just over 200 days.

July 11, 2024 9:34 am

STEVENAIVE

Ha,that might be true in your Dad’s case. The jury is still out in mine,and the judge is rooting around for his black cap.

July 11, 2024 9:34 am

‘Steve…Happy Birthday to your auld man! It’s always a joy to hear of our auld yins hitting their 90s. What an incredible achievement!! Look after him, I hope he has many more! 🎆🎇🎉
And you Mick…slow doon or you’ll soon be catching with Steve’s Da!! 😁

On kinda the same note, certainly about age – I’m just heading out to see a wee job. My mate texted last week to go and see his wee retired neighbour who’s had a new boiler fitted and the guys have apparently botched up the cupboard which houses the boiler.
I texted her last Thursday to say I’d got her number from her neighbour Jim, who’s a mate of mine, and I could come out for a look at the job this week sometime. As quick as a flash she comes back “Thursday suits me” I text back “That’s fine, what time?” “What time suits you” I was in the process of replying when she phoned me – all within a few seconds of the original text.
“Hi McCaff, it’s Liz here”
“Hi Liz, how are you doing”
“Yeah, fine, what time on Thursday”
“I’m not sure yet, have you got a preference”
“Any time suits me I’m retired – but I’m not telling you my age”
“HaHa…I would never ask a lady her age”
“Okay, next Thursday, I’ll be in all day”
“That’s fine, I’ll call or text you on Wednesday to arrange a time that suits you”
“I’m 74 by the way”
“Och, you don’t sound 74, you sound much younger than that!”
“No, that’s my house number!”
“Ah, okay!, See you next week!” 😂

July 11, 2024 9:36 am

My Dad’s favourite player,coincidentally born on the same date.

And from what I’ve heard over the years,I wish I had seen him play. Though I recall shaking his hand once. Must have been about 5yo at the time.

Last edited 1 day ago by BOBBY MURDOCH’S CURLED-UP WINKLEPICKERS
July 11, 2024 9:39 am

MCCAFF

Brilliant! I’m starting to get mixed up between my age and my IQ. Never a good sign…

Sol Kitts
July 11, 2024 10:31 am

Happy birthday to my best mate BMCUWP, who has just been honoured for services to the Scotch whisky industry. I’m just starting to recover from last weekend. 😂😂

IMG_2824
July 11, 2024 10:57 am

Happy birthday Bobby, have a good one.
👍

July 11, 2024 11:36 am

Thank you very much to everyone for your kind wishes. I’ll honour your kindness in my time-honoured way.

July 11, 2024 11:42 am

Happy Hoopy birthday Bobby 🍷 🍻 🇮🇪

July 11, 2024 11:46 am
July 11, 2024 11:47 am

1 ticket for sale TRNSMT Sunday, Calvin Harris is the main turn

SFTB
July 11, 2024 12:12 pm

What is this pish about “it’s coming home!” ? The World Cup was started by Jules Rimet and the Euros by Henri Delauney. The WC came home first in 1998 and again in 2018. The Euros came home in 1984 and again in 2000.

July 11, 2024 12:24 pm

First happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you and to Steve’s 93 year old dad. Wow.

It probably won’t surprise you to know I saw Charlie Tully play.

There is a goal he scored at CP, against Airdrie I think, that lives on in my memory still.

Charlie received the ball at edge of 18 penalty box on the left hand side.
He danced around it as the defenders backed off. He nudged to ball in direction of penalty spot with each dance.

This took him level with the goal post at which point he flicked the ball into that part of the unguarded net from say 6 yards.

The defenders and goalie all looked at each other wondering “wtf”!

Only Tully could do that sort of thing. A one off.

Jimbo67
July 11, 2024 12:26 pm

Afternoon

A happy 93rd to Steve Naive senior- he’ll have seen a few good Celts over the years.

And a happy whatever it is to BMCUWP who will no doubt have a small port and lemon to celebrate this momentous event

Never saw last night’s game so cannot comment re penalty but have thought for a wee while that whilst worth trying VAR should be scrapped as the Golden Goal was a generation ago.

If it is to continue it should be restricted to a) offsides where a goal has been scored b) over or not over the line calls and c) where ref asks for a second opinion on something he has not had a clear view of. Offside should be changed (if not abolished) to be that all of the attacker has to be offside and not if any part of them is offside( believe this may be experimented with next season) and only one outfield player to be between attacker and goalline to be onside not 2 players including the keeper. Referrals to be much quicker- as in cricket the verdict comes from the official upstairs. But getting rid altogether would be better. 3pm Saturday kos used to finish at 4.40pm. Nowadays 4.40 is scarcely halfway through the second half.

Jimbo

July 11, 2024 12:42 pm

Ernie Lynch

The penalty awarded to England is a prime example of Ange’s claim that VAR has supplanted the idea that the referee’s decision, right or wrong, is final.

Sure there have been many occasions when a referee got it wrong but the cure is turning out to be worse than what it has replaced.

I like goal mouth technology and semi automatic offside technology although it needs recalibration to take toe nails out of the equation, lets say half a stride has to be offside as that is an advantage a player gets in goal scoring terms.

Handball in the box also needs a fresh look with intent being part of the referee decision process.

Revision is more likely than removal, but it cannot continue to replace referees.

Edit. Jimbo 67.
Great minds think nearly alike.

Last edited 1 day ago by Auldheid
ASWGL
July 11, 2024 12:45 pm

Happy Birthday to Stevies Da and BMCUWP, hope you both get a transfer or two to celebrate, but don’t haud yer breath.

Talented kid

Big packy😉😉
July 11, 2024 1:30 pm

I know a guy who’s nickname is nosmo cyber pint if you can guess his second name 👍

July 11, 2024 1:35 pm

BP,

Got to be KING.

Nosmo King 🚬

Big packy😉😉
July 11, 2024 2:23 pm

Bad cyber pint on its way 👍😎

Drew67
July 11, 2024 2:48 pm

Im def in the ‘no penalty’ camp.i didnt watch game as i was working.the previous night i had been talking to a colleague previewing the match and warning the Dutch to be wary of Kanes clever but unsporting ways of winning freekicks and pens.when i got go work last night and someone told me england had won a pen i just knew it would be dodgy and Kane involved.for being one of the worlds great goalscorers he sure lets himself down with his cheating of refs and fellow pros.i thought var would sort him out but alas var can make genuinely good challenges look illegal and Kanes the man to react to any minor contact and roll about staring at ref.your a disgrace Kane.

July 11, 2024 2:50 pm

Atalanta bid for O’Riley, EPL teams will offer more…

Big packy😉😉
July 11, 2024 2:53 pm

Know an Irish guy called nick cyber pint if you can guess his second name 👍

Bigrailroadblues
July 11, 2024 3:32 pm

Happy birthday Mick. See you on the 23rd. 👍🍻

July 11, 2024 4:20 pm

Happy Hoopy Birthday to BMCUWP and STEVENAIVE’s Da!🎂🥳🎶🍺🥃🥂🍸🍷🍻🍾

For your reading delectation, have a peek at this. It probably impinges on Baldemort’s transfer budget. I hope for all our sakes that it is not acting as a handbrake on ours, but since I’m a paranoid mineshafter, let’s just say, “ Ah hae ma doots.”😱